THE BROWNS BOARD

Age....music

miktoxic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one I missed: Tracy Chapman, from Cleveland:

saw her singing for change outside the train station in harvard square in boston. i think a year later she was signed and had that breakout hit. if you like her music you should check out the song 'sorry'. one of the sappiest forgiveness songs i've ever heard.

Another immortal, from Cleveland (though the Credence version of this song is more well known, Screamin' Jay Hawkins wrote it):

And check this out about Hawkins who was a POW in WWII:

Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, Hawkins studied classical piano as a child and learned guitar in his twenties.[2] His initial goal was to become an opera singer (Hawkins has cited Paul Robeson as his musical idol in interviews),[3] but when his initial ambitions failed he began his career as a conventional blues singer and pianist.

He served in the United States Army Air Force in the Pacific theater during World War II,[verification needed] primarily as an entertainer. Although he claimed to have been tortured for some time as a prisoner of war, stories of the circumstances of his actual capture vary. According to the documentary I Put a Spell on Me, upon liberation he blew his chief tormentor's head off by taping a hand-grenade into his mouth and pulling the pin

Archived