THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy And The O-Line Myth

WebsterSlaughter

Both safeties line up on or near the hashes and their 1st step is backwards in a cover 2. And if your making a basic 3-step drop read you're most likely going to be reading a linebacker or SS. Reading the free safety is usually only important if you plan on throwing deep.

Uh no,you couldnt be more wrong..where the FS shifts in most cases predetermines what defense is gonna be run along with the def alignment. You almost always read the FS first. This isnt xxxxing Madden dude.

Actually I'm in my 20's and I still play football instead of just watching it on TV like you.

yeah, i'm too old for that crap. i think if someone hit me coming free off the line i might explode into a bag of dust.

20's. i think i'd give my left nut to be in my 20's again. those were the days. B)

Uh no,you couldnt be more wrong..where the FS shifts in most cases predetermines what defense is gonna be run along with the def alignment. You almost always read the FS first. This isnt xxxxing Madden dude.

Actually I'm right. I don't think you ever played or analyzed football. The free safety is playing a deep zone in most coverages with the exception of cover 0. Do you even know what a cover 0 is?

You can't hate on the Atlanta trade until we see who the Browns draft next year with Atlanta's 1st and 4th rounders..

And you don't think Peterson has been effective this year? 800 yards rushing (out of Minnesota's 1200 total) and 9 TD's seems a lot better than the Browns 600 yards and 2 TD's. If Minnesota had zippo offensively and was worse on offense than the Browns, why are they ranked 18th in total offense while the Browns are 31st? The Vikings offense has averaged 21.5 pts per game compared to the Browns 14.9. More proof you have no idea what you are talking about.

The future is now, losers say wait till next year

And you misterpreted what I said about Peterson, I said as bad as Minny is and as good as he is doing is indicative of how great he is and that he would be way better on a team with a complete offense

for the cover two cover three and cover 0 guys, like these defenses are something invented recently they been around as long as football..................back in the day the cover 2 was called the deep zone when people could actually spell deep and understood what zone coverage meant. The alternative is man to man. Everything else is a variation of each of these or combination of the two concepts. That includes covers 0,1,2,3,4,5 and duck and cover!

btw, ben got sacked 5 times sunday and the steelers won 24-17 so much for "dime a dozen OL guys"

We routinely run the cover 0, because we can't cover shit.

Man lock Haden, Cover 2, and combo the other side of the field. That's playing to our strengths, of which there are few.

Or we can try the Tony Dungy Tampa 2, although were not getting beat deep middle enough to warrant that.

The future is now, losers say wait till next year

And you misterpreted what I said about Peterson, I said as bad as Minny is and as good as he is doing is indicative of how great he is and that he would be way better on a team with a complete offense

ok good. We agree here.

for the cover two cover three and cover 0 guys, like these defenses are something invented recently they been around as long as football..................back in the day the cover 2 was called the deep zone when people could actually spell deep and understood what zone coverage meant. The alternative is man to man. Everything else is a variation of each of these or combination of the two concepts. That includes covers 0,1,2,3,4,5 and duck and cover!

btw, ben got sacked 5 times sunday and the steelers won 24-17 so much for "dime a dozen OL guys"

So because a team got sacked a lot and still won the game you are jumping to the conclusion that offensive linemen are a dime a dozen? Pittsburgh also won the turnover battle which is a much bigger factor in winning games. I have stated this before, but I'll do it again. Sacks aren't everything. Dalton wasn't sacked but how much was he hurried and flushed out of the pocket? The answer is a lot. He was 15-30 with 2 picks. The Steelers defense combined with Leon Hall and A.J. Green's injuries helped to win that game. Roethisberger, while good, hangs around in the pocket too long to try and make plays which results in more sacks than your average quarterback. It was a close game and still could have gone either way, so you really don't have any substance to support your dime a dozen theory here.

I do not jump to conclusiions, all i say is based on numbers and facts for fifty years

the best is OL is a "dime a dozen"

keep spinning otherwise bs while we keep losing and spending our best resources on teh OL over and over

I do not jump to conclusiions, all i say is based on numbers and facts for fifty years

the best is OL is a "dime a dozen"

keep spinning otherwise bs while we keep losing and spending our best resources on teh OL over and over

In other words, you can't refute any facts I just threw at you. Typical..

In other words, you can't refute any facts I just threw at you. Typical..

Actually, I really like what you said above and referenced below, It represents a thoughful intelligence based viewpoint,

So because a team got sacked a lot and still won the game you are jumping to the conclusion that offensive linemen are a dime a dozen? Pittsburgh also won the turnover battle which is a much bigger factor in winning games. I have stated this before, but I'll do it again. Sacks aren't everything. Dalton wasn't sacked but how much was he hurried and flushed out of the pocket? The answer is a lot. He was 15-30 with 2 picks. The Steelers defense combined with Leon Hall and A.J. Green's injuries helped to win that game. Roethisberger, while good, hangs around in the pocket too long to try and make plays which results in more sacks than your average quarterback. It was a close game and still could have gone either way, so you really don't have any substance to support your dime a dozen theory here.

So my many decades of viewing and understanding the game and what constitutes winning doesn't have substance and is typical, There is nothing typical about understanding and knowing "OL guys are a dime a dozen", rather it is atypical and based who wins and loses games and what factor the oline really played. I your reference above, you clearly stressed the importance of turnovers, which they are. I used my premise about sacks not jumping to any conclusions but another example of "OL being a dime a dozen".

If Ben had not gotten sacked at all would you be giving credit to the OLine for getting it done, hell yah, if they had lost, would you be blaming on the OL, hell yah. The fallacy of it all is that any of the 32 olines in the game playing for the Steelers in that game would have won. What does suppport my dime a dozen theory is fourty years of pro football winners and losers and rag tag patchwork OLines winning Super Bowls. Check the starters on the OL in NO's Super Bowl win, and where they came from. Check and see how many OL guys are cut by one team and then starting for another, an often and regular occurance.. The easiest part of a team to fix is the Oline and that is why they are a dime a dozen. And you are correct, sacks aren't everything and turnovers are more important, and vastly more important than both is scoring and that is mostly a byproduct of offensive players who touch the ball and defensive players who make turnovers, the former way more important. When you add all the positions up on a football team in importance, at the bottom of the list is the OL

The least talented guys in pee wee football are put on the offensive line and that never changes right up through the pros, and the least talented guys are the easiest to replace in any sport, unjump that conclusion

Further, three players cut by the Browns and one dumped started in the Super Bowl three of them on winning teams, in recent years. LT Oben, LT Brown, C O"Hara, and C Faine, dime a dozen, not good enough to start or even play for the Browns but good enough to be a starter in the Super Bowl

Actually, I really like what you said above and referenced below, It represents a thoughful intelligence based viewpoint,

So my many decades of viewing and understanding the game and what constitutes winning doesn't have substance and is typical, There is nothing typical about understanding and knowing "OL guys are a dime a dozen", rather it is atypical and based who wins and loses games and what factor the oline really played. I your reference above, you clearly stressed the importance of turnovers, which they are. I used my premise about sacks not jumping to any conclusions but another example of "OL being a dime a dozen".

If Ben had not gotten sacked at all would you be giving credit to the OLine for getting it done, hell yah, if they had lost, would you be blaming on the OL, hell yah. The fallacy of it all is that any of the 32 olines in the game playing for the Steelers in that game would have won. What does suppport my dime a dozen theory is fourty years of pro football winners and losers and rag tag patchwork OLines winning Super Bowls. Check the starters on the OL in NO's Super Bowl win, and where they came from. Check and see how many OL guys are cut by one team and then starting for another, an often and regular occurance.. The easiest part of a team to fix is the Oline and that is why they are a dime a dozen. And you are correct, sacks aren't everything and turnovers are more important, and vastly more important than both is scoring and that is mostly a byproduct of offensive players who touch the ball and defensive players who make turnovers, the former way more important. When you add all the positions up on a football team in importance, at the bottom of the list is the OL

The least talented guys in pee wee football are put on the offensive line and that never changes right up through the pros, and the least talented guys are the easiest to replace in any sport, unjump that conclusion

Further, three players cut by the Browns and one dumped started in the Super Bowl three of them on winning teams, in recent years. LT Oben, LT Brown, C O"Hara, and C Faine, dime a dozen, not good enough to start or even play for the Browns but good enough to be a starter in the Super Bowl

I agree with this post.

Archived