THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren is Wimping Out

roach

I'm trying to figure a way that made any sense. It's your assertion that I'm alarmingly pedantic?

Uh, right. You can't even talk yourself into that. Now go look up "pedantic."

Imagine that....over complicating a simple assertion. I'm sooooo surprised.

For being above shit slinging, ur sure quick to throw around intelligence smack. Just keep throwing out all ur golden nuggets of projections.....we always need to laugh in the offseason.

J/C

I don't think Holmgren has handled this very well.....but i do understand the point about when they stick up for you it is almost the kiss of death.

If Mangini is let go, I won't be thrilled, nor will I jump off a cliff, but if Holmgren then takes the job rather than hire someone else, I'll think him a self serving ass.

It is pretty easy to see the team is pretty close.

Nobody really expected more than 8 wins at best, so for Holmgren to fire Mangini then step in tells me he just kept Mangini for this transition season for his own purposes.

Put it this way....Holmgren wouldn't step in to a crappy situation....he'd let someone else take the losses.

Since when did "reporting" become "predicting?" Do the teach classes in crystal ball and tea-leaf reading in journalism school? Whatever happened to accurate delivery of the facts?

Just out of curiosity, who was the last coach or GM of the Browns that the PD writers LIKED?

It's the PD's job to get you to read and sell papers/ad space.

My personal opinion is that Mangini was kept on because he earned it but that Holmgren had no intent on keeping him. This is clearly a better team than last year and perhaps a different OC might help. My feeling is that Holmgren is keeping quiet to just let it play out. The fact that he's not rushed to Mangini's defense is telling but who knows what votes of confidence mean anymore?

No one on the coaching staff is going to make excuses but there are certainly reasons for the slide we've seen after the Jets' game. That's all great and good but it's not going to sway Holmgren. I thought that with the potential of a lockout and a low odds chance of really winning this season...he kept Mangini on. He might have kept him as a built-in scapegoat to fall back on. The shame of it all is that the team is better and the coaching staff has shown (at times) the brilliance of being able to match up with the best in the league. It's just maddening (and I don't mean John Maddem although his voice does drive me nuts).

Time will tell but they have all been "must wins" at this point.

Archived