Westside Steve

Report: Browns asked Deshaun Watson to play in Senior Bowl

Published: Jan 23, 2017 at 10:01 am

Updated: Jan 23, 2017 at 02:46 pm

Dan Parr

Dan Parr

College Football 24/7 Editor

Breaking down Deshaun Watson's NFL future

A request from the Cleveland Browns to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl wasn't persuasive enough for Deshaun Watson to participate in the all-star event.

Watch the Reese's Senior Bowl on NFL Network at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Watson, who declined an invitation to the game last week, turned the Senior Bowl down even after the Browns requested that he play, according to MMQB. The Browns are coaching the South team that Watson would have played for if he had accepted the invite, and Cleveland holds the Nos. 1 and 12 picks.

"The Browns talked to him and asked him to play this week; he declined," MMQB's Peter King wrote in his Monday column.

» Three-round mock draft: Watson goes No. 1

Watson's agent said last week that Watson would instead focusing on preparing for the NFL Scouting Combine (QBs report March 1). He's only a junior, but was eligible to be invited to the Senior Bowl because he has already graduated.

NFL image

Date: Saturday, Jan. 28

Time: 2:30 p.m. ET

TV: NFL Network

Senior Bowl rosters

2017 Reese's Senior Bowl coverage:

Top 15 prospects at Senior Bowl Senior Bowl primer: How the game is made Watson declines Senior Bowl invite Two potential Senior Bowl risers

Photos:

Recent Senior Bowl MVPs

Browns coach Hue Jackson said on Sunday that he won't hold Watson's decision against the QB.

"There are going to be other guys that are not participating either, so I won't hold it against him," Jackson told cleveland.com. "I don't think that's the right thing to do. He's still a draftable player, there's still a process we have to go through to evaluate him and see if he can fit here with the Cleveland Browns."

The Senior Bowl gathers more than 100 prospects each year for a week of practices, followed by the all-star game, in Mobile, Ala. Evaluators from all 32 teams attend to watch and meet with prospects that participate in the event.

"Obviously we wish he were here," Jackson said. "It would've been a great chance to have an opportunity to evaluate him doing the things we do in meetings and on the practice field. But that's not going to happen, so we'll have to find a different way of evaluating him."

Watson completed a grueling a 15-game season on Jan. 9, when he led Clemson to a national title victory over Alabama.

NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah said after Watson's decision was revealed that he didn't believe anyone in the NFL would have a problem with Watson's choice. However, he also said Watson could've helped himself by competing -- it would've been a unique setting for Watson to compete in, the likes of which won't be replicated at the combine or his pro day. Jeremiah has Watson going to the Texans at No. 25 in his first mock draft of 2017.

Follow College Football 24/7 on Twitter

We can't afford to "fuck him", if he's the real deal...

Fortunately for you, I don't think he is... so you can plow away, nickerooo...

P.S. Watson made the right choice...

What people are forgetting is he played in the equivalent of 2 Bowl Games in order to beat both Ohio State and Alabama. They finished a week later than everyone else so this does impact what little time he has to rest and recuperate before preparing for the workouts and combines followed up by all the OTAs/Mini-camps he'll have with whoever drafts him.

When you think about it, the defenses of Ohio State and Alabama had a ton of early round NFL prospects on them. There should be a lot of good film to review from those games.

I think I'm really just trying to keep an open mind about Watson in a QB draft class I'm not wild about at all. I think he sees the field extremely well as depicted in his quick decisions.

What people are forgetting is he played in the equivalent of 2 Bowl Games in order to beat both Ohio State and Alabama. They finished a week later than everyone else so this does impact what little time he has to rest and recuperate before preparing for the workouts and combines followed up by all the OTAs/Mini-camps he'll have with whoever drafts him.

When you think about it, the defenses of Ohio State and Alabama had a ton of early round NFL prospects on them. There should be a lot of good film to review from those games.

I think I'm really just trying to keep an open mind about Watson in a QB draft class I'm not wild about at all. I think he sees the field extremely well as depicted in his quick decisions.

You might want to consider the offense he plays in before you think he sees the field 'extremely well'.

What's the upside for him to play?

How much higher could his stock be after the last two games he played?

What if something dumb happens in the game and he gets hurt?

Pure business decision here.

The upside for him is that he gets to work for a week with the coaching staff of the team with the number one pick. If he makes a good enough impression, Hue could come away saying "wow, this is the guy for us" and he goes first overall. At the moment his rating is all over the place, from first overall in a couple of places down to second round. He could solidify himself as a top pick and make lots of money.

You might want to consider the offense he plays in before you think he sees the field 'extremely well'.

As opposed to other QBs in this draft locking onto primary targets of their pre-determined passes in the huddle? McNabb played in the Veer Option which was very similar to the style of offense Favre played in before both guys went on to perfect WCOs. Rodgers got stereotyped for being a Tedford system QB and I'm guessing it's why he slid down into the 20s.

My question to you is which of the top QB prospects this year were asked to read progressions?

That's probably true for his pocketbook his career and his draft status. That doesn't correlate to what is best for the Cleveland Browns. And as unfair as it might be that's where my loyalty lies.

WSS

As opposed to other QBs in this draft locking onto primary targets of their pre-determined passes in the huddle? McNabb played in the Veer Option which was very similar to the style of offense Favre played in before both guys went on to perfect WCOs. Rodgers got stereotyped for being a Tedford system QB and I'm guessing it's why he slid down into the 20s.

My question to you is which of the top QB prospects this year were asked to read progressions?

Ultimately I can't think of QB's that aren't asked to try and make it to their #2 if possible (save for Pat White)

However that doesn't mean that they do or can.

The upside for him is that he gets to work for a week with the coaching staff of the team with the number one pick. If he makes a good enough impression, Hue could come away saying "wow, this is the guy for us" and he goes first overall. At the moment his rating is all over the place, from first overall in a couple of places down to second round. He could solidify himself as a top pick and make lots of money.

There is way more to lose than to gain.

Sucks for us, but I can't get behind the "bad attitude" tag.

Now, had he lost to Ohio State or something, ya then you go.

Dude has his stock at the zenith. No where to go but down. The unknown in this situation probably helps his allure.

He will get drafted in the Top 5 or 6 anyway. So not playing will not be that big of a deal.

MT.....and I completely disagree that he locked on to his primary target. On the rare occasions ...and they were rare, that his O Line gave him time, he saw the field very well. Its just that in 95 times out of 100 he had about 2 seconds to throw the ball. before the heat came down on him. And he withstood that very well for the most part.

Apparently not under the Senior Bowl rules. Not sure what that rule entails.

Being a senior? Watson was allowed because he'd already graduated which is presumably another way in. Trubisky I guess is neither.

I actually see this as a good thing for the Browns. Personally, I don't want Watson, though I don't think he did this to slight the Browns. I hope this does hurt his drat stock enough that if the Browns DO really want him, he's available at #12, or even better, #33. I hope it puts him out of contention for the #1 pick because we need to take Garrett or Allen there. Personally I'd rather the Browns took Trubisky or Kizer.

I actually see this as a good thing for the Browns. Personally, I don't want Watson, though I don't think he did this to slight the Browns. I hope this does hurt his drat stock enough that if the Browns DO really want him, he's available at #12, or even better, #33. I hope it puts him out of contention for the #1 pick because we need to take Garrett or Allen there. Personally I'd rather the Browns took Trubisky or Kizer.

Both Trubisky and Watson will go Top 5. If not, I owe someone a pitcher of Margaritas. (If Trub goes top 5, Stan owes me....but I am not sure about both of them....perhaps Z.)

And the downside is we like him but not at #1 so once he falls past us other teams begin to wonder what we saw that we did not love... and that's if we go D with our #1. Just imagine if we went with a different QB?

The #1 overall is the best payday in the draft... for 4 years, but the 5th year option is not desirable as it only delays the biggest payday any quality player will get... his 2nd contract... one that dwarfs any rookie deal.

That's probably true for his pocketbook his career and his draft status. That doesn't correlate to what is best for the Cleveland Browns. And as unfair as it might be that's where my loyalty lies.

And that's why we love you... that and the kilts...

Being a senior?

Doh!

And the downside is we like him but not at #1 so once he falls past us other teams begin to wonder what we saw that we did not love... and that's if we go D with our #1. Just imagine if we went with a different QB?

SO it comes down to - how confident are you in your abilities? Do you feel like you can go in and knock the socks off of the coaching staff? If not you don't deserve to be an NFL QB...

Both Trubisky and Watson will go Top 5. If not, I owe someone a pitcher of Margaritas. (If Trub goes top 5, Stan owes me....but I am not sure about both of them....perhaps Z.)

Right now it looks that way but I don't think the Browns take either at #1, which leaves the 49ers and Bears. Either of those teams could end up with Garopolo, and a long shot but possibly Cousins or Romo.

Archived