THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 O-Line Draft: Offensive Tackles

Tour2ma

Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...

especially if they are projected as top 10 talents....eh?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, but I have to admit I wonder sometimes what I'm missing when it comes to a Stanley or Kelly that are touted as 1st round prospects. Seems like 1st rounders should jump out at you...

It's all just names usually. Who did something to get their name out there, that's who gets put at the top of early lists. PFF started doing college grades and a lot of the best players are no names.

It's all just names usually. Who did something to get their name out there, that's who gets put at the top of early lists. PFF started doing college grades and a lot of the best players are no names.

Strength of opposition is probably a big factor in there though.

I'm watching him vs OSU now. Who is OSU's RDE? Not Bosa, he plays left the whole time. Either way, Stanley seems to be putting up pretty strong resistance, not really getting beaten in pass rush.

Run game seems less, as you say, nasty, and doesn't show a lot of 'hustle' to get out and block, especially when the QB takes off, he's just like 'fuck it, I can't do much, so why bother trying'.

I'm watching him vs OSU now. Who is OSU's RDE? Not Bosa, he plays left the whole time. Either way, Stanley seems to be putting up pretty strong resistance, not really getting beaten in pass rush.

A lot of the time that can be Lewis... #59?

I also have nothing of value to add to the thread but very much appreciate the research and insight. Good stuff!

lol... love the "also"... thanks...

Tough call here as there is so little quality competition on tape. Need to look at Sr. Bowl for some, but I have a couple takeaways. Primary one is stiff hips... Joe's movement is much more fluid going forward in run block than in PassPro retreat. I expect this to show at the Combine.

In PassPro Joe's chop is so very wide that it can't include any stance depth. SO the few times he faced a DE with any amount of size and speed, he's get rocked backwards. Fixable? Yes, unless the exaggerated width is compensating for a lack of agility in reverse.

As I mentioned he looks smoother moving forward. He actually pulls a fair amount of the time in sweeps to his side. Does not always hit his targets, but he does move aggressively to them and I like that. he few times I saw him against big DL the result was usually a draw. Does not appear to have "root 'em out" power.

Seems like a Day 2 developmental prospect...

Sorry, Ag, but you asked me too look... Found a cutdown vs. Ole Miss so was some good competition.

First the good news... in PassPro he really did not get beat. How he did not get beat early and often escapes me, but the results are what they are.

Technique-wise he's a mess. While there's a fledgling kick with his right leg, the left fails to move... so it's a faux kick. Chop is there and it flows OK. Problem is there's too much vertical movement and so the chop just doesn't cover much ground. As a result he ends up reaching a great deal of the time.

In addition, whether in PassPro or run blocking, Ifedi dips his head as he nears impact... and the waist follows taking balance with it. This accounts for his low connect percentage in making, let alone sustaining, blocks on the run. His arms are not active except for reaching and grabbing.

In run blocking he is way too concerned with the movement of his 2nd level assignments and gets juked by their fakes. Sharp contrast to the tape on Haeg that preceeded Germain's. Where Joe aggressively ran to and through his assignments, Ifedi just didn't. He does fare better against 1st level opponents. *Edit* Excepting two plays where he flipped to LT in an unbalanced look, sliding into the line between the LG and full-time LT. There he whiffed two different DL in two plays separated by about a quarter.

Ok T no pressure but the 3 Harvard analytic guys in our FO our looking for your grade on Toner from Harvard. Garrett & teammates @ senior bowl liked him. we need a jewel mid round compared to Springs in 2/3 round. Sign Schwartz Hue Sashi..

Funny you should mention Toner... watched him last nite... just did not write him up...

If you want to read about the polar opposite of Ifedi, look no further...
Based on very limited tape, one game vs. Yale, Toner looks like a technician's dream. Knees and posture are great. Mini-kick appears here and there giving promise for future. Chop is quick, smooth and well proportioned.
Maybe most impressively his hands are tight and low and never get outside his opponent's frame. He's consistently makes first contact with meaningful "punches" to his assignment's chest. That's the good news...
On the other hand Yale had very little to test Toner so hard to gauge his physical side. Movement cross-field through traffic looked fine and he gets off the line well, so quickness and speed aren't concerns. However, there was very little way to judge his strength and agility from this effort. The one time a CB lined up to Cole's outside and threw pure speed at him, the CB got the edge (really was a pretty dip and rush) fairly cleanly and was able to hit the QB.
SR. Bowl tape and the Combine will help clarify Cole's prospects.

C. Germaine Ifedi RT (TAMU) - 6'5 325 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123593&draftyear=2016&genpos=OT

Sorry, Ag, but you asked me too look... Found a cutdown vs. Ole Miss so was some good competition.

First the good news... in PassPro he really did not get beat. How he did not get beat early and often escapes me, but the results are what they are.

Technique-wise he's a mess. While there's a fledgling kick with his right leg, the left fails to move... so it's a faux kick. Chop is there and it flows OK. Problem is there's too much vertical movement and so the chop just doesn't cover much ground. As a result he ends up reaching a great deal of the time.

In addition, whether in PassPro or run blocking, Ifedi dips his head as he nears impact... and the waist follows taking balance with it. This accounts for his low connect percentage in making, let alone sustaining, blocks on the run. His arms are not active except for reaching and grabbing.

In run blocking he is way too concerned with the movement of his 2nd level assignments and gets juked by their fakes. Sharp contrast to the tape on Haeg that preceeded Germain's. Where Joe aggressively ran to and through his assignments, Ifedi just didn't. He does fare better against 1st level opponents. *Edit* Excepting two plays where he flipped to LT in an unbalanced look, sliding into the line between the LG and full-time LT. There he whiffed two different DL in two plays separated by about a quarter.

To echo Ag's comment and the one I made re: Mike Matthews, I would say you need to watch some 2014 tape on him as well. The entire unit regressed tremendously. It was some of the worst OL coaching I've ever seen. Your last paragraph is something I specifically noted as lacking all year.

I graded all of the games and all I would boil Ifedi down to is a pretty dang good talent with sloppy/lazy technique. There's also an element of he wanted to leave after 2014 and decided not to on the assumption (or, fairly likely, promise from the staff) that he was headed to left tackle.

Didn't happen (a slightly more talented clone of his from the JUCO ranks took that job, see him next year), so there may have been a twinge of bitterness on Germain's part all year.

I would just say watch a 2014 tape, if you can.

Draft every fucking one of them. Seriously, OL are the most important players. If you have a great OL, you don't need a great QB RB WRs or anything else. These lardasses will ll go to the HOF with Joe Thomas. THey won't win anything or improve anything, but by God we need to draft more more more more OL.

Fucking idiots!

Is it lonely up there on your pedistool?

Draft every fucking one of them. Seriously, OL are the most important players. If you have a great OL, you don't need a great QB RB WRs or anything else. These lardasses will ll go to the HOF with Joe Thomas. THey won't win anything or improve anything, but by God we need to draft more more more more OL.

Fucking idiots!

logo-large.png

Just for Tour. Texas A&M just added a legacy OT to the signing class of 2018, Luke Matthews son of HOFer Bruce and brother of likely 3 NFL players after Mike goes in this draft. They all say he is the best of the bunch @ 6'4" 320 lbs.

"I just called coach Sumlin and committed," the youngest Matthews said on Tuesday. "I just knew it was where I wanted to go. I also liked that they hired coach (Jim) Turner to coach the o-line. He coached my brother and he's a good coach."

I would have thought Bruce would want his best "work" to go to a school with a proven track record of developing OL...

That is the guy who was Sherman's OL coach with his son Jake that Sumlin inherited along with 3 other OL NLF draft choices that Jim Turner had recruited. Turner went to Miami with Sherman and was involved in the "Incognito Affair". He also offered Luke when he saw him play at 12 years old, when he was coaching older brother Jake and recruiting Mike.

I know, but he simply gets TAMU back to where it was. It's never been known as a top-notch OL school as far as I know. Certainly not in a league with some Big 10 schools.

I do understand that past is past, but still...

There's no "OL development juice" in the water at Wisconsin or Iowa. It's about who the coach is. Sherman and Turner--that's a no brainer. As compared to Lane Kiffin or some brand new HC at USC? Also, no brainer.

Also, three straight first round OLs and we're not a top notch OL school?

Right, I missed this because he's not on your list Tour, but he's apparently mayock's #5 tackle. The guy's name is 'Willie Beavers' - not even a joke. This is funnier when you remember 'willie' or 'willy' or british slang for a gentleman sausage. His name is literally cock pussies.

Right, I missed this because he's not on your list Tour, but he's apparently mayock's #5 tackle. The guy's name is 'Willie Beavers' - not even a joke. This is funnier when you remember 'willie' or 'willy' or british slang for a gentleman sausage. His name is literally cock pussies.

Is his middle name starfish?

• 3 weeks later...

Playing catch up as March slips away. Here are a few "Quick Takes"...

I was intrigued by Clark's measurables... make that "once was", cause I ain't no more. The OT I saw vs. Baylor and OkSU belied his 5.18 Combine 40. This kid's a heavy-footed reacher with all the balance issues that combo could be expected to generate. Appears to be nowhere near strong enough to move inside.
Struggled to watch him vs. UK. No burst... no tech... no feet... no speed...
Pushed on and made myself queue up his Missou game... flashed some tech on first play (fledgling kick followed by decent chop steps). I never saw anything that good again. As if it was there it was covered by an avalanche of waist-bending, wrong-footed, beat-by-spin-move suck.
After two disappoinmets in a row, Theus was a pleasant surprise. Well shy of a sleeper or hidden gem, he is nonetheless a decent prospect. His feet are his best attribute; his hands his worst. Not sure there's any "fire" or nasty there. Poor anticipation of 2nd level blocks. BAMA game notes confirmed by Florida game.
And finally for now, Chris' fav...
Surprise... there's something here. In his MSU game he struggled some in space, but did not embarrass himself. Projects better inside at Pro level. First thing you notice is he moves well. In PassPro he flashes tech. Hands are active. Kid brings an energy to his play and is easily worth a Day 3 pick.

Sometimes the other guy might be the guy? May not exactly be the case here, but opposite his more publicized, LT counterpart (you have to look at Coleman tape to see Young), Avery looks pretty good.

While I like Coleman better, taking Young at least one day later may be the better value. The experience of watching Young at RT opposite Coleman at LT was reminiscent of seeing Schwartz opposite Joe in that you know one is better, but the other is nearly as effective.

Young showed a good chop in PassPro with generally good feet in all aspects of his game. He used his hands well in run blocking keeping them inside... not so much in PassPro. Bad habit of dipping his head at impact in either run or pass blocking which he pays for at times.

Lined up opposite Nkemdiche in one short yardage situation and got stuffed...

Except I think Young is going to be only an OG in the pros.

Probably a terrific OG. I don't see him staying at tackle.

But character, work ethic, and love for the game has to be there.

Archived