THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 O-Line Draft: Centers

Tour2ma

2016 O-Line Draft: Centers

Here are the Cs I am planning to break down this year in order as ranked by DraftScout as of 2/11/16:

Matthews had a good teacher-son of Hall of Famer Bruce who played guard and center in the NFL for 19 seasons. His younger brother Luke is going to be a high school junior and was already 6'4" 320 lbs at age 15. The youngest may also be the best so keep an eye out a few years down the road. "My dad's training him now and trying to get him right," said Mike. "I haven't really seen him play much, because I'm pretty busy. But every time I talk to my dad he says, 'You can see it. He's really got it.' He can move really well even at that size."

Matthews had a good teacher-son of Hall of Famer Bruce who played guard and center in the NFL for 19 seasons. His younger brother Luke is going to be a high school junior and was already 6'4" 320 lbs at age 15. The youngest may also be the best so keep an eye out a few years down the road. "My dad's training him now and trying to get him right," said Mike. "I haven't really seen him play much, because I'm pretty busy. But every time I talk to my dad he says, 'You can see it. He's really got it.' He can move really well even at that size."

One of our TAMU fans on here, where this Matthews attended didn't think too highly of him....and he played for his team.

Matthews had a good teacher-son of Hall of Famer Bruce who played guard and center in the NFL for 19 seasons.

I know Bruce well... watched him in Columbia Blue for better than a dozen of those years. He made first team All-Pro at LG, RG and C. He made all pro every year from 1988 until 2001 after which he retired.

While OG was his best position, early in his career he also played full seasons at RT and then LT.

Awesome player and easily one of the best OL in the history of the game.

Even more fun? He spent his first 11 years on the same line as Mike Munchak...

One of our TAMU fans on here, where this Matthews attended didn't think too highly of him....and he played for his team.

Mike is not an elite lineman. I'd take him in later rounds for bloodlines alone. Brother Jake was far better and younger brother may turn out to be the best of the bunch. BTW A&M just hired back the guy that coached that bunch under Sherman when they first started. That included Joeckel, J. Mattews, Ogbuehi and Lewis.

I'd take him in later rounds for bloodlines alone.

Main reason I am putting some time in on him.

Sooner or later you'd think one of the Mathews boys would try a different school... you know like the one that trained their Dad/Uncle for NFL success? ;)

Sooner or later you'd think one of the Mathews boys would try a different school... you know like the one that trained their Dad/Uncle for NFL success? ;)

That IS where Clay III went...USC. And Casey went to Oregon.

How many went to TAMU?

A. Ryan Kelly (BAMA) - 6'4 297 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119425&draftyear=2016&genpos=C

Only one tape on Kelly, but it is against a quality opponent in Clemson. It certainly does not justify his 1/2 cusp projection by DraftScout.

First, the positive note... he snaps real good. As for the rest...

The few times Kelly had a Tiger on his nose, he did not fare well. In a goal-line situation he was buckled. In PassPro situations he was walked back into the QB's lap. So anchoring is an issue. He did make a couple nice tackles, but with hands inside so no call was made.

In the BAMA run game he was often searching for a target. When freely releasing to the 2nd and 3rd levels he had issues engaging moving targets. When double-teaming he seldom released even when targets approached. When he did manage to engage he generally maintained contact... again due to "well-placed" hands.

Need to find more tape, but nothing in his Clemson performance screams Day One... it may mumble Day Two.

B. Nick Martin (ND) - 6'4 296 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120240&draftyear=2016&genpos=C

If Mack leaves, I'm picking Nick on Day 2. Simply the easiest solution to a Mack backfill. Nick should go in bottom half of Rnd 2, might last until out pick 3.2.

This kid plays strong with arms extended, punching and controlling defenders of all sizes without holding. He has very good feet and a natural OL seat. (His play made me realize what Kelly was missing... the arm extention... Kelly chested his blocks.)

Saw a very small DL/ squad vs. Temple and was not phased by their speed. Had little trouble locating blocks and executing them. Even pulled once. Vs. OSU he handled bigger, interior DL Hill and Landers without difficulty as he did Lewis and Bosa when they moved inside. Good reaction to blitzes.

Only issue I saw was started dipping head a beat before he snapped vs. Temple. It appeared in a couple Q2 series, but as soon as I noted it, he stopped doing it the very next series. No sign of it the rest of the way or vs. OSU... quick coaching point accepted.

Nick worked a lot of OG at the Sr. Bowl and was well reviewed.

Was that me?

Mike's lack of size was a bit of a liability at times, but he's pretty good. PFF had him as the highest graded center in the SEC this year, which I found surprising (and I graded all 13 games myself). Of course, the coaching was so bad and every player regressed so much this year that I think that had a lot to do with it. I'd have to watch some tape from 2014 to get a better bead on him (and something you may want to keep in mind as well, Tour). The OL coach was fired after just one season last week.

Jake flirted with SC pretty hard.

Mike is not an elite lineman. I'd take him in later rounds for bloodlines alone. Brother Jake was far better and younger brother may turn out to be the best of the bunch. BTW A&M just hired back the guy that coached that bunch under Sherman when they first started. That included Joeckel, J. Mattews, Ogbuehi and Lewis.

I was shocked no one else hired Turner but I guess the Incognito/Martin thing was a big deal for NFL teams. I'm stoked he's back. My freshman year of college I was interning for scout.com and went to every practice in fall camp. Watching Jim up close was a thing of beauty. Learned more about OL play in those few weeks than before or since.

I was shocked no one else hired Turner but I guess the Incognito/Martin thing was a big deal for NFL teams. I'm stoked he's back. My freshman year of college I was interning for scout.com and went to every practice in fall camp. Watching Jim up close was a thing of beauty. Learned more about OL play in those few weeks than before or since.

He has gotten a lot of props from those now Pro players that he taught before going to Miami with Mike Sherman. You're right, they creamed him for the Incognito thing which got him blackballed. But he's still a great coach that we desperately needed back since our OL and OL recruiting have gone downhill since he was there recruiting and teaching. He does get several 4 star OL's (1 just a hair short of hard to get 5*) coming in new this year, so it should be fun to see how they all develop. More interesting to see if any get to the level of early round draft like his first group.

C. Jack Allen (MSU) - 6'2 297 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=104802&draftyear=2016&genpos=C

Started season slow despite playing smaller schools. PLayed high and let defenders get to his chest. Pulled a surprising amount of time given that he is not exactly swift... more of a fireplug, but feet are OK. Quick to seal gaps if sees shoot coming at snap, yet slow to react to stunts/twists.

By Week 4 was looking better, playing lower and more aggressively... confidence? http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125556&draftyear=2016&genpos=Cart of lower pad level due to knees, but some was waist bend. Signs of hand-fighting. Was very alert to targets of opportunity when assignments failed to show at 2nd level.... and found some.

Late season vs. OSU he had a tale of two halves. In the first he was a step slow and seldom was left to go 1 on 1 with his Buckeye counterpart. But late in Q3 he came alive and was very effective the remainder of the game... dammit... ;)

First OL review where I am not coming away without a strong opinion. Allen could develop into a decent OL, but I don't see anything to get excited about.

D. Max Tuerk (USC) - 6'5 285 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=125556&draftyear=2016&genpos=C

Max was hurt in USC's 4th game of 2015 vs. Washington so there is little tape on him. As early as his injury occurred I would expect him to run some at the Combine. He is an invitee.

His Stanford game showed about what you'd expect from an "undersized" Center... and as does our Cam, Tuerk looks undersized... tall and lanky, but without Cam's belly.

As you'd expect, in PassPro Max cannot anchor against real beef, but he has a way of turning someone bulling him alternately to one side then the other thus slowing the defender's advancement. Similarly in run blocking he is very quick to seize angles to secure an advantage over stronger opponents.

Max has great feet. He runs very smoothly and effortlessly and looks fast... especially for a Center. And even more important he plays with really sound technique. He has to for his survival.

Given our possible/probable move to a power run game, I am not sure Max is the best fit for us. I think he'd really thrive in a ZBS. But he would not fail in more of a power scheme.

Not a first choice, but not a bad, late Day 2 alternative.

Feel free to do similar for other positions? I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in reading.

What a novel thought... but wouldn't that involve some actual time and thought?

Much easier to howl at the moon...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read... Was just watching this kid's Sr. Bowl effort last nite...

NFL Combine 2016: The Michigan center who studied Alex Mack all summer

By Andre Vergara Feb 24, 2016 at 10:45p ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Graham Glasgow had Alex Mack homework this summer.

When Jim Harbaugh and his new staff arrived at Michigan last year, offensive line coach Tim Drevno assigned an NFL player to each Wolverine lineman.

Study this guy. Between spring ball and fall camp, this is how you'll learn to play like an NFL lineman, as the Harbaugh staffers tried, in many ways, to create an NFL atmosphere.

Glasgow, Michigan's 6-foot-6 and 307-pound center, got Mack, the Browns' 6-4 and 311-pound veteran Pro Bowler.

What did he think?

"He runs the outside zone so unbelievably well," Glasgow said Wednesday at the combine. "I tried to look at that. His footwork, the way he can run off the ball and not get too deep and be able to push defenders back at the point of attack. Looking at his hand work in his pass pro, things like that are just awesome."

Mack was a first-round pick in 2009. Glasgow doesn't project that high, but he did help himself with a strong performance at the East-West Shrine Game that led to a late invite to the Senior Bowl. Now he might have a shot at going in the middle rounds.

Mack had a part in that. Glasgow said he watched about half of Mack's 2014 games last summer while preparing for his final year Michigan, what would be by far the best season of his career.

Improving his diet had something to do with that. Following a 2014 DUI arrest, Glasgow said he cut beer, among other things, out of his regular meal plan. He's been answering questions about that DUI charge from NFL teams here at the combine.

Taller than most centers at 6-6, he's viewed as pretty athletic with a good first step. If he can be anything like Mack, he'll take it.

"There's a lot of things he did that I tried to do this season," Glasgow said. "I think that really helped me a lot."

• 1 month later...

A. Ryan Kelly (BAMA) - 6'4 297 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119425&draftyear=2016&genpos=C

Only one tape on Kelly, but it is against a quality opponent in Clemson. It certainly does not justify his 1/2 cusp projection by DraftScout.

First, the positive note... he snaps real good. As for the rest...

The few times Kelly had a Tiger on his nose, he did not fare well. In a goal-line situation he was buckled. In PassPro situations he was walked back into the QB's lap. So anchoring is an issue. He did make a couple nice tackles, but with hands inside so no call was made.

In the BAMA run game he was often searching for a target. When freely releasing to the 2nd and 3rd levels he had issues engaging moving targets. When double-teaming he seldom released even when targets approached. When he did manage to engage he generally maintained contact... again due to "well-placed" hands.

Need to find more tape, but nothing in his Clemson performance screams Day One... it may mumble Day Two.

With so much good press on Kelly decided to take another look as I always intended to and fortunately a 2nd game (or rather half of one) was posted... BAMA at A&M.

Early with no one on his nose, Kelly pretty much had his way with whichever Ag he took on. He even manhandled A&M's Man-Boy, Daylon Mack. Mostly he operated at the first level moving quickly into position. Seat was very good with knee and not waist bend.

Then late in Q1 A&M started shading over and attacking him. After a blow Mack came back in and gave Kelly trouble as did another DT. Kelly pulled a couple times and looked smooth, but results were mixed. Saw little or no combo blocking coming off a Dbl to take a 2nd level assignment.

Bottom line... there's more there than I gave credit for vs. Clemson, but then A&M was not the test that Clemson was.

I think I'll stick with Nick Martin as the better value as the likely 2nd Center off the board.

With so much good press on Kelly decided to take another look as I always intended to and fortunately a 2nd game (or rather half of one) was posted... BAMA at A&M.

Early with no one on his nose, Kelly pretty much had his way with whichever Ag he took on. He even manhandled A&M's Man-Boy, Daylon Mack. Mostly he operated at the first level moving quickly into position. Seat was very good with knee and not waist bend.

Then late in Q1 A&M started shading over and attacking him. After a blow Mack came back in and gave Kelly trouble as did another DT. Kelly pulled a couple times and looked smooth, but results were mixed. Saw little or no combo blocking coming off a Dbl to take a 2nd level assignment.

Bottom line... there's more there than I gave credit for vs. Clemson, but then A&M was not the test that Clemson was.

I think I'll stick with Nick Martin as the better value as the likely 2nd Center off the board.

And by now you are likely aware that A&M fired their OL coach for exactly those reasons and has brought back the guy who recruited and started the OL education of Matthews, Joeckel, Lewis, etc. , Jim Turner of the Miami Dolphins Incognito affair. Sherman took him there with him from A&M when he left to Miami.

And by now you are likely aware that A&M fired their OL coach for exactly those reasons...

The OL Coach screwed up your D-line, too? ;)

The OL Coach screwed up your D-line, too? ;)

Yeah when was still half asleep reading your post. :D

New DL coach too. http://12thman.com/news/2016/3/4/football-sumlin-hires-turner-to-oversee-texas-am-dts-run-game-defense.aspx?path=football

I plead the 69th (very similar to the 5th, but much older). :lol:

Archived