THE BROWNS BOARD

Lofton & Slapnicka Inducted Into Indians HOF

Cowsrus

Outfielder Kenny Lofton named 2010 Indians Hall of Fame inductee

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians today announced the organization will induct OF KENNY LOFTON into the Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame and CY SLAPNICKA into the Distinguished Hall of Fame for non-uniformed personnel. The inductions will take place on Saturday, August 7 prior to the 7:05PM game vs. Minnesota Twins at Progressive Field.

More than 1,700 players have worn an Indians uniform- the total inducted into the player wing of the club's Hall of Fame now stands at 36.

INDIANS HALL OF FAME CLASS 2010

Kenny Lofton (1992-1996, 1998-2001, 2007)

Kenny Lofton made three stints with the Indians and is the franchise leader in stolen bases (452), ranks 3rd in club history in runs scored (975), and 10th in career base hits (1512) and at bats (4872). In his 10 seasons with the Tribe, Kenny hit .300 (1512-5045) with 975 runs, 244 2B, 66 3B, 87HR & 518 RBI in addition to the 452 steals in 1276 games. He led the American League a remarkable five (5) straight seasons in stolen bases from 1992-96, stealing a single-season franchise record 75 bags in 1996. He was an All-Star selection five times while in Cleveland (six overall) and won 4 straight Rawlings Gold Glove Awards patrolling centerfield from 1993-96.

"I'm at a loss for words when thinking about this honor as I'm so excited about being a part of Cleveland Indians history," said Cleveland Indians 2010 Hall of Fame Inductee KENNY LOFTON. "I never thought I would ever be a Hall of Famer of the Cleveland Indians. It's awesome."

INDIANS DISTINGUISHED HALL OF FAME CLASS 2010

Cy Slapnicka

Cy Slapnicka was General Manager of the Indians from 1935-1940. He spent the next 21 years as a Major League Scout for the Indians before retiring in 1961. He signed 31 Major League players during his career, including Hall of Famers Bob Feller and Bob Lemon. Slapnicka joins Richard Jacobs and Bill Veeck who were inducted last year into the Cleveland Indians Distinguished Hall of Fame.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/pres...sp&c_id=cle

I know less than nothing about Slapnicka, but those are some heavy credentials. Very happy to see K-Love inducted into a HOF. I'm way biased, but he'd be in my own version of Cooperstown.

Beanpot

Actually, I've never even heard of Slapnicka until today, but I was impressed. I am really happy for Kenny. He deserves it. Way to go Spiderman.

Heidi

Archived