THE BROWNS BOARD

Yahoo Sports Mock Draft

DAWGPOUND16

7. Cleveland Browns: Sam Bradford, Oklahoma QB

Mike Holmgren has not said anything positive about Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson, which makes us believe he is not sold on either. Bradford’s accuracy, intelligence and athleticism seem ideal for Holmgren’s West Coast offense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-...n&type=lgns

Dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. And I just read the thread by the steeler troll. Get your act together.

Sorry Downs....think what you want.

I think you are clueless.

Vick isn't a bad QB, he won't cost a arm and a leg.

So, it you want to insult, we can do that, If you want to talk football, start talking football.

Which is it....doesn't matter to me, though if you choose the insult route, I am pretty much out and will just stick you on ignore.

You seem to act like you know Rich...fine, i think he will tell you I am not some Yahoo who just spouts off....I think a lot of people would say that.

So talk to me....what is wrong with Vick as a bridge??

I am assuming you aren't some unhappy PETA follower.

Ball peen like you tried to insult me in a thread earlier when you were completely wrong. He is entitled to his opinion you been a prick the last few days.

However with that being said I can agree with you Vick would be a good filler for the time being until we can groom someone. That's if we couldnt land someone better like Kolb without it costing us an arm and a leg. I would even take Troy Smith over him because yes I am a Browns/Buckeye homer, but I think he could be as effective as Vick, but could do it for longer if it works out (obviously being younger).

When did I insult you.

If so, you probably deserved it.....lol

As I said,...Vick wouldn't be a long term answer, and Yes, we need to find someone young to groom.

So, we basically agree.

And if I insulted you, I apologize, unless I meant it, in which case I meant it and was just being honest, which i usually am.

I don't usually blow a lot of smoke around these places.

Doesn't mean i am always right.....but in my experience, I usually am ;)

So, it you want to insult, we can do that, If you want to talk football, start talking football.

Which is it....doesn't matter to me, though if you choose the insult route, I am pretty much out and will just stick you on ignore.

You seem to act like you know Rich...fine, i think he will tell you I am not some Yahoo who just spouts off....I think a lot of people would say that.

I asked this in another thread...but what have you seen from Vick (other than he will come cheap) that makes you think he's even better than the 2 quarterbacks that we have on the roster now?

I really just don't see him being anything close to the answer. I didn't think he was that good before his time in jail and from what I saw, the jail time didn't make him any better at QB.

Ballpeen,

We've had some good conversations before and I've agreed with you a lot. I'm often banned around here. 3 days to 3 months at a time so I check back when I can.not trying to insult you and probably jumped the gun a bit. My bad.

But on this one IMO you are dead wrong.... Why? Well..

We need a franchise QB for years to come. Now I know we won't have that next year but seriously Vick. Vick is not a real QB. What was his best passer rating? 80? Unless we have franchise QB we will never win. And Vick is your answer? Pahlease....

If you want some proof look at Roddy Whites numbers when Vick was there. Something like 30 catches 400 yards. As soon as he left he has blown up.80+ catches and 1000+ yards. Probably because someone could get him the ball. Which leads me to my next point. His accuracy is terrible. With Holmgren coming in he covets accuracy from a QB.

Not to mention he was out of football for 2 years. And when he came on with Philly he did not look like Micheal Vick. He will be 30 years old and probably has lost a step which is Micheal Vicks game.

We need a veteren QB that is a real QB, like a McNabb or Hasselback. We draft a guy like Pike or someone like that and let him groom and learn. How the hell do you learn from Vick? Won't happen.

All in all Vick is nothing but a WildDawg guy and has nothing to offer us.

Having said that there is no way that he will be a Brown anyhow. Could you imagine dog killer in the dawg pound? I don't even like dogs or animals in general but Holmgren won't and shouldn't let this happen. For the sake of the Browns.

I asked this in another thread...but what have you seen from Vick (other than he will come cheap) that makes you think he's even better than the 2 quarterbacks that we have on the roster now?

I really just don't see him being anything close to the answer. I didn't think he was that good before his time in jail and from what I saw, the jail time didn't make him any better at QB.

I agree, he didn't play much, nor do I think he is the "answer". I think he is the bridge we need until we finally figure out who is going to be the answer...some college player I suspect.

I guess it just boils down to if you like a qb with Vicks style or not...

I have never thought he was horrible at throwing the ball....I know he made a nice throw in the game leading to the eagle playoff.

At any rate, I would take him over Quinn in a heartbeat. I think he would give us a better opportunity to win.

On his career, he is a 54% passer....not so great, but most of those years were in Atl where winging the ball was their stock in trade...they weren't know for their underneath passing game...they looked to stretch the field....his rating is rather pedestrian at 75-76....but again, much is set by how one is used.

06 was his last full year where his numbers were 53% and 76....20 tds, 13 picks....don't have rushing figures.

I just think the guy, as he is a bit older now is poised to put up some fairly decent numbers.

Remember, I am not talking about the guy as if he is the future. Jimmy Clawsen or someone else may be the future. If you want to go with the rook this year, so be it...I would rather bring in a bridge....I just know the bridge isn't Quinn....Anderson would be a better bridge, but we aren't keeping him unless he just gives up a bunch of cash, and I doubt that will happen.

The final point in all of this is I am not even pushing so much for Vick. People started mentioning

names like Kolb and McNabb.....well, I just don't see that as a possibility....unless we feel Kolb is a guy we want and are willing to send Philly a 1st rounder or more. They aren't just going to just give their future away. Losing Heckert hasn't all of a sudden rendered them dumb over there.

You guys want a qb....then who?? If you want to start naming people, at least start affixing the correct value you will need to get them.

Shoot, maybe we could get Peyton Manning for a 5th rounder...that makes for good discussion. Too bad we would need to talk about Joe Thomas, Josh Cribbs and maybe our next 6 first rounders.

Ballpeen,

We've had some good conversations before and I've agreed with you a lot. I'm often banned around here. 3 days to 3 months at a time so I check back when I can.not trying to insult you and probably jumped the gun a bit. My bad.

But on this one IMO you are dead wrong.... Why? Well..

We need a franchise QB for years to come. Now I know we won't have that next year but seriously Vick. Vick is not a real QB. What was his best passer rating? 80? Unless we have franchise QB we will never win. And Vick is your answer? Pahlease....

If you want some proof look at Roddy Whites numbers when Vick was there. Something like 30 catches 400 yards. As soon as he left he has blown up.80+ catches and 1000+ yards. Probably because someone could get him the ball. Which leads me to my next point. His accuracy is terrible. With Holmgren coming in he covets accuracy from a QB.

Not to mention he was out of football for 2 years. And when he came on with Philly he did not look like Micheal Vick. He will be 30 years old and probably has lost a step which is Micheal Vicks game.

We need a veteren QB that is a real QB, like a McNabb or Hasselback. We draft a guy like Pike or someone like that and let him groom and learn. How the hell do you learn from Vick? Won't happen.

All in all Vick is nothing but a WildDawg guy and has nothing to offer us.

Having said that there is no way that he will be a Brown anyhow. Could you imagine dog killer in the dawg pound? I don't even like dogs or animals in general but Holmgren won't and shouldn't let this happen. For the sake of the Browns.

All's slick here.

I totally agree, we need a franchise qb...I never meant for it to be taken I expected Vick to be that guy. I just know you don't usually go from having crap to a franchise guy in a year.

If we are going to get a franchise guy, we need to draft one because you usually can't find those guys on teams who are willing to give them away.

So....who does that leave us to draft with our first pick....I agree with those who think Bradford is damaged goods and to be honest, don't really know all that much about Clawson other than he had a few brothers who qb'd at Tennessee.

As a gator homer, I would take Tebow, but not at 7, even I know that.

Bottom line, I am not so sure there is a top qb in this class....well, there is always a top qb in every class, but it might not be all that good compared to other classes.

Holmgren is viewed as a qb guru...if he says Quinn is his guy, I will alter my stance on Quinn. If he says DA is his guy, I would expect others to alter their position on him. If he says Sam Bradford is his guy and his arm is better than ever....so be it.

Then we just hope to heaven the guy hasn't lost his touch and is right.

I really believe this Mock Draft is completely wrong. A couple glaring mistakes show me that this is a very in accurate mock even for being this early. First, Eric Berry is not going 13th. He is rated a lot higher on teams big boards and every team now knows the value of a great safety with Steelers lack of defense without Palamalu and how great Indys D is with Bob Sanders. Also, I can't see how Jacksonville can take a quarterback not named Tebow. They already were being blacked out and they were fighting for a playoff spot. I am not saying they are going to draft Tebow here but if they take a quarterback I can't see them taking anyone not named Tebow they need the fan support.

so, its wrong based on your opinion as evidence?

got it.

alot can happen between now and draft time. if berry bombs at the combine, does he still go top 5?

something tells me the answer is yes.

Good point I meant to say I believe it is not a good mock draft.

Bradford as the first round pick is not out of the question for the Browns. If Holmgren thinks we need to get a franchise quarterback and the evaluation is that Bradford has the tools, it could happen. The last couple years we are seeing rookies playing their first year, Flacco and Sanchez come to mind. Perhaps the thinking is that we let Bradford get a couple years experience under his belt and by that time the rest of this team is ready to compete for a championship. Our offensive line isn't horrible, so Bradford wouldn't get killed as Couch did. Bradford is tall, athletic and a very accurate passer coming out of a major college program. I wouldn't be upset if we went this route and then trade or cut DA, keep Quinn as a backup as he is cheaper.

I agree, he didn't play much, nor do I think he is the "answer". I think he is the bridge we need until we finally figure out who is going to be the answer...some college player I suspect.

I guess it just boils down to if you like a qb with Vicks style or not...

I have never thought he was horrible at throwing the ball....I know he made a nice throw in the game leading to the eagle playoff.

At any rate, I would take him over Quinn in a heartbeat. I think he would give us a better opportunity to win.

On his career, he is a 54% passer....not so great, but most of those years were in Atl where winging the ball was their stock in trade...they weren't know for their underneath passing game...they looked to stretch the field....his rating is rather pedestrian at 75-76....but again, much is set by how one is used.

06 was his last full year where his numbers were 53% and 76....20 tds, 13 picks....don't have rushing figures.

I just think the guy, as he is a bit older now is poised to put up some fairly decent numbers.

Remember, I am not talking about the guy as if he is the future. Jimmy Clawsen or someone else may be the future. If you want to go with the rook this year, so be it...I would rather bring in a bridge....I just know the bridge isn't Quinn....Anderson would be a better bridge, but we aren't keeping him unless he just gives up a bunch of cash, and I doubt that will happen.

The final point in all of this is I am not even pushing so much for Vick. People started mentioning

names like Kolb and McNabb.....well, I just don't see that as a possibility....unless we feel Kolb is a guy we want and are willing to send Philly a 1st rounder or more. They aren't just going to just give their future away. Losing Heckert hasn't all of a sudden rendered them dumb over there.

You guys want a qb....then who?? If you want to start naming people, at least start affixing the correct value you will need to get them.

Shoot, maybe we could get Peyton Manning for a 5th rounder...that makes for good discussion. Too bad we would need to talk about Joe Thomas, Josh Cribbs and maybe our next 6 first rounders.

i agree we need a QB to bridge to whomever the QB of the future might be. I also think that Kolb is a great choice...but the Eagles aren't going to give him up. I think McNabb could be had from Philly and not cost us a lot.

I'm not as convinced as you that Quinn can't play at this level...I think he could be ok if we're going to run the ball and play conservative on offense. Anderson it seems could do the same thing but I agree with you that he would have restructure that ridiculous contract if he wants to stay here.

I'd just stay away from a QB in round 1.

Archived