THE BROWNS BOARD

I think Holmgren likes DA better

ATENEARS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, it's a slow day ... but I think DA fits in better with what Holmgren & Mangini want in regards to team chemistry.

I think Holmgren doesnt see the whole picture and is going off memory of the two. He needs to watch ALOT of film before he comes to a decision if he doesnt dump both of em.

Sorry, it's a slow day ... but I think DA fits in better with what Holmgren & Mangini want in regards to team chemistry.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Wait til they get in the film room.

Wait til they get in the film room.

now that would be a slow day. sitting in front of a projector, and instantly seeing the one spot where a qb shouldn't throw the ball, and then seeing DA throw there every time. i would rip my eyes out after about 2 hours of that.

I think Holmgren doesnt see the whole picture and is going off memory of the two. He needs to watch ALOT of film before he comes to a decision if he doesnt dump both of em.

Maybe Holmgren does see the whole picture.

In '07 DA had a heck of a year and won a ton of games despite being on a team with a horrible defense.

Last year DA missed much of preseason, probably started when he shouldn't have, played behind a line with injuries, only played 1 game with Edwards, Winslow and Stallworth in the lineup at the same time before being yanked after not playing that poorly against Baltimore, winning 3 of his last 5 games... and after getting pulled, despite the team's injury bug working itself out the team only won one more game.

This year DA came in and the team obviously moved the ball much, much better against Cincinnati... then they blew up the receiving corps and all of the starters were now either rookies or hadn't been on the team for more than a few weeks. There were also changes made in the rest of the lineup during that time. There was very little stability in the lineup during mid-season, it was not the same team that went through preseason and the first 3 games. It only really started to stabilize around game 10-11, paying off the last 4 games.

Holmgren does need to watch A LOT (spelled correctly, pet peeve of mine) of film to see if DA and BQ are worth keeping, but it wouldn't surprise me if a trained football mind comes to a different conclusion on at least one of our QB's than most of the posters on this board.

it wouldn't surprise me if a trained football mind comes to a different conclusion on at least one of our QB's than most of the posters on this board.

I agree with that.

Although I've been right on two things recently; on Mangini being a better coach than what the media was feeding us, and that Jay Leno should have never been written out of the Tonight Show plans .... I'm now feeling pretty confident and giddy, and believe Holmgren will bring in 'his starter' but restructure DA's contract and keep him around to tutor and grow over the next two seasons. He will determine that Brady Quinn is a dime-a-dozen type back-up that he can pluck from anywhere, no need to work with the nonconformist attitude.

seriously guys you need to get off DA's nuts he does nothing good besides throw an occasional nice deep ball...Throws the balls to his running backs at his feet and as hard as he can.....Im not saying quinn is the anserw but slightly better but anderson SUCKS!!!!! his stats just prove it. Holmgren will bring in his own QB in the next 2 years and let QUINN play those seasons out as his guy gets ready

2007 was just yesterday when you think about it in the realm of global events.

2007 was the last time there was ANY stability in the offensive lineup. People are quick to point fingers at DA, but the team's makeup was changing nearly every game DA appeared in during the last 2 seasons 'til 2 games back. 2007 was essentially yesterday when you think about it in the realm of the Browns having a team. The Browns had a "team" in '07, and a "team" the last 4 games of '09... in between they had turmoil.

Holmgren won 272 games with three different startig QBs: Bret Favre, Jon Kitna and Matt Hasslebeck. All projects.

The Falcons had given-up on strong-armed Favre after one year when Holmgren snared him, Kitna was an inexperienced project whom Holmgren gave him a shot for a couple years and went 14-13 with him, and Hasslebeck was a former 6th round pick that he had in GB that Holmgren turned into a consistent winner.

The fact that he likes projects with talent favors Anderson. But the fact that he traded for Favre and Hasslebeck means he will look to other rosters to find the guy he is intrigued with.

I have a feeling Mangini is not fond of Quinn and likes Anderson's leadership. Mangini's influence may lead to Anderson continuing on the roster and competing with a free agent next year.

I don't think these guys like Quinn, not much to base it on, especially from Holmgren, but I think Quinn is going to get a shot somewhere else after sitting for a year behind someone else on some other team. I see him as a Joey Harrington / David Carr type bouncing around until the league gives up on him.

Zombo

I agree with that.

Although I've been right on two things recently; on Mangini being a better coach than what the media was feeding us, and that Jay Leno should have never been written out of the Tonight Show plans .... I'm now feeling pretty confident and giddy, and believe Holmgren will bring in 'his starter' but restructure DA's contract and keep him around to tutor and grow over the next two seasons. He will determine that Brady Quinn is a dime-a-dozen type back-up that he can pluck from anywhere, no need to work with the nonconformist attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised at a restructure either. At that point it's up to DA as to whether he wants to stay in Cleveland and put up with the non-playing/non-coaching idiots who hate him or look elsewhere for more positive surroundings... he's at that age where he could be thinking "family" and what atmosphere he wants to raise it in.

Holmgren won 272 games with a solid run attack, for a good example just look at the stoolersd, they had to turn into a passing team and those inbreads are sitting out of the playoffs this year, while we finally found that we have a rb and finished stronger than any NFL team. Just imagine what our next season will be like if we can continue to run the ball and dont have any injuries then it wont matter really if its quinn da or some other half ass qb back there. We will win,

Holmgren won 272 games with three different startig QBs: Bret Favre, Jon Kitna and Matt Hasslebeck. All projects.

Farve was a project? After 4 pass attempts with the Falcons, in his second season he threw for 3227 yards, completed 64.1% and had a 85.3 QB rating. Hardly a project.

now that would be a slow day. sitting in front of a projector, and instantly seeing the one spot where a qb shouldn't throw the ball, and then seeing DA throw there every time. i would rip my eyes out after about 2 hours of that.

Atenears couldn't see that due to DA's balls hanging in front of his eyes.

Farve was a project? After 4 pass attempts with the Falcons, in his second season he threw for 3227 yards, completed 64.1% and had a 85.3 QB rating. Hardly a project.

When Holmgren got him he only had the four pass attempts and was a second rounder that the Falcons had no problem getting rid of. Had never started an NFL game. That's a bit of a project. He regressed his second year as a starter too, before becoming the legend we know today.

Zombo

God bless ya! He hasn't missed a handoff yet while Quinn hasn't missed an Injured Reserve list in 2 consecutive years. We've got competitive accuracies working everywhere but tossing the pigskin.

- Tom F.

Okay I didn't want to do this but I have a prediction. Harrison and Quinn will be gone pretty early on in the offseason. Harrison's value will never be higher than it is right now and he was in Mangini's doghouse for a good part of the year. We also have two servicable young RBs in Jennings and Davis that we can work with, cheap. We can then tender him and wait for offers. Its a good move in my opinion. Maybe we can Scott Mitchell somebody. Quinn will be gone because he's pretty bad yet has some appeal to a lot of teams looking for a safe backup. Almost any team would take him for that role and Holmgren/Mangini will want to avoid a QB controversy at all cost. Now, take into consideration that Holmgren has said he liked what DA did to them in 2007. Also, DA played ball in the Pacific Northwest so you have to believe Holmgren has been aware of him for awhile.

My final take. I have long said that if you were going to coach up one of these two QBs, DA would be the more worth while. He can make all of the throws and if you recall in 2007, with two years in the same system finally; he was making ALL the right reads at the line and was tearing defenses up every week; Holmgren's Hawks was one of those teams. If I'm a coach and have to choose one to work on, its hands-down DA. Quinn seems unable to improvise, react, or think on the fly. Almost like he does EXACTLY what the play calls for and if it breaks down or something isn't there, he panicks. And of course his throws take way too long to reach there target. That's right, the turf.

Very possible scenario and with a little luck it would give us three second round picks.

We'll be lucky to get a 4th for either of them. You only get a 2nd if the guy will be a starter, I don't know what team would take him as their starter. Oakland maybe but he doesn't have the tools to make Al Davis cream his jeans. So I don't know who is left?

Gonna be fun watching what happens as long as mangini doesnt start playing the itsy bitsy mangini kiddy headgames that is...my guess is DA is a goner he isnt worth what he is paid period..and bq will follow him out the door because his contract is to big if he actually plays..mangini will bring in a notable vet to mentor/teach and backup our first round rookie qb and end the controversy...

Jevan Snead, Ole Miss, recently declared for draft. For some reason he lost his confidence this past year and regressed to the point where he may not even get drafted this year. His stats were horrible. The combine offfers some redemption, if he is invited. Anyhow IMO this kid has the tools to help a team win if he were able to get with a team/coach that understands how to develop young QB talent. MH has a proven track record of QB development going back to his SF days (Montana, Young). Snead is 6'3", has excellent arm strength with accuracy. I saw a few of his sophmore games when he was tearing up the SEC. If he were able to regain that same level of mojo for the Browns both DA and boy toy would be nothin more that an afterthought. If he were available for the league minimum, I think he would be an excellent project

Holmgren is another in a long list of coaches who feels he understand QBs and can coach them...and DA reminds him of Favre.

MH is going to be the next to feel he can be the guy to tap the potential in DA....and maybe he can.

I see it like this....DA's bad days are about as good as Quinn's good days.

Knowing that, the smart money sticks with DA.

If the two QBs were slot machines, nobody would play Quinn. You will never get a payout.

I think Mangini has seen enough of both of these poor excuses for quarterbacks and in my opinion he should bring in a good 4th or 5th year qb that knows how to play.

It seems many Browns fans think these 2 losers are the only choices we have. They both suck and we need to erase them from our memory. and start our what seems apparent bright future.

Archived