THE BROWNS BOARD

Eric Berry's Attitude

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Guest Metcalf_FTW

So my friends parents are members of The Charlotte Touchdown Club and were at the dinner to present the Bronko Nagurski trophy this year. They said all of the players there were very humble, EXCEPT, for Eric Berry and Terrence Cody. They said they both had big chips on their shoulder and that a number of guests had mentioned Berry's attitude specifically through the evening.

For what it's worth, you never know if it was just that day, but this is a football family I am friends with that are very well known around the community down here, and if they say his attitude was piss poor - I believe them. Wonder if he would still fit in with Cleveland?

Again, I've never met the kid, so for what it's worth.

Never heard that attitude is a concern with Berry. Quite the opposite - he's a smart, hard-working kid who's been studying film of himself since he was 12 and worked in a dentist's office last summer because he's considering it as a post-football career. If you watched Tennessee games, you saw him giving pep talks to teammates on the sideline.

So without further substantiation, I wouldn't be concerned about a report like the one above.

Could be a bad night; I dunno. I've watched almost all of Berry's games since he came to Knoxville, and all but two of the home games from the student section right behind the UT bench (and Berry's the kind of guy people watch even when the offense is on the field). I never saw him demonstrate any kind of attitude, even in terms of body language. That said, there's a big difference between watching someone from a hundred feet away and seeing him up close.

However, most of the stuff I've seen and heard about him more closely resembles what Alo says. Attitude and character count, but I'll take a guy who can play lights-out who has a chip on his shoulder before I'll take a guy who can't really play at the next level but is a great kid. You know, like Tebow (hi, Ballpeen).

Dennis

I would still pass on Cody, less because of his attitude and more because he's going to hit 450 pounds by his second year in the league.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Again, for what it's worth is what I said. I never said I don't want the guy, never said I wanted him - just what I heard from a family friend that deals with a lot of elite college football players, and Berry was at the top of the list for bad attitude.

I was just checking to see if you were reading. I'm sure Tebow will be a fine pro, and collect many Grey Cups.

Dennis

Especially after he accepts being converted to TE.

Flutie, Moon, and Theisman collected those as well.

Sometimes the NFL guys don't know what they are doing.

As a Browns fan I would have thought you had that figured out! ;)

Oh.....Go Vols...have to go SEC.

Even though they beat me this year, in a few weeks....Roll Tide. I may even break out my Tide hat...which I already have by the way...and that is what separates the SEC from the rest. We root for each other come bowl season.

I guess it goes back to "The War Between The States" thing...we are still a bit of a island that gets some people nervous.

Flutie, Moon, and Theisman collected those as well.

Sometimes the NFL guys don't know what they are doing.

As a Browns fan I would have thought you had that figured out! ;)

Oh.....Go Vols...have to go SEC.

Even though they beat me this year, in a few weeks....Roll Tide. I may even break out my Tide hat...which I already have by the way...and that is what separates the SEC from the rest. We root for each other come bowl season.

I guess it goes back to "The War Between The States" thing...we are still a bit of a island that gets some people nervous.

Us Big Ten'ers root for one another. Maybe not Michigan, but we root for the Big Ten success.

BTW, Eric Berry has the big hits, can come up and read a play and blow it up behind the line of scrimmage on the outside, but he just disappears at times and the Tenessee defense just sucks at times and with each time you can't imagine where the hell Berry is/was on the play, or Dan Williams for that matter.

Attitude or not, I can't see him as a #1 overall such as some on ESPN is still suggesting.

First its "The Charlotte Touchdown Club" what do they know about football?

These Yuppies root for sucky teams like UNC Tarhillbillies and the Panthers.

There ideal of a going to a football game is only if its not cold or raining. They dont have tailgating there they have what they call white picket fence parties with meals catered in to them.

Football to these yuppies is a social event. Its a who's who bullcrap.

CLTDTDT_Doubletree_Guest_Suites_Charlotte_SouthPark_gallery_meetings_pavilion0892_large.jpg

So my friends parents are members of The Charlotte Touchdown Club and were at the dinner to present the Bronko Nagurski trophy this year. They said all of the players there were very humble, EXCEPT, for Eric Berry and Terrence Cody. They said they both had big chips on their shoulder and that a number of guests had mentioned Berry's attitude specifically through the evening.

For what it's worth, you never know if it was just that day, but this is a football family I am friends with that are very well known around the community down here, and if they say his attitude was piss poor - I believe them. Wonder if he would still fit in with Cleveland?

Again, I've never met the kid, so for what it's worth.

Interesting Metcalf. That's the first time I've ever heard anything bad about the kid attitude wise. Not saying your friend's parents are wrong for that particular night and I liked how you worded the end of your post. I think they just conveyed their honest impressions which is quite contrary to what his coaches and people covering the team have said about him. In fact, the guy who covers UT was on the radio saying that Monte Kiffen ADORED how unselfish Berry has been because he's played him alot more like a LBer which gave up alot of chances for better pass defense stats.

I think what it all boils down to is local media and coaches WANT good pub for their stars especially if they're trying to attract top recruits for a rebuilding program. There's an incentive to paint their biggest star with the best of attributes. The higher Berry goes in the draft - the MORE they attract the 4 and 5 star recruits thinking NFL. Who knows what is true and what isn't sometimes from the media (ie; the Plain Dealer implies there's three 6's hidden somewhere on the back of Mangini's head).

- Tom F.

Archived