THE BROWNS BOARD

Bengals WR Henry has Died

TheClevelandSound

The Cincinnati Bengals confirmed that wide receiver Chris Henry sustained what they described as "very serious" injuries Wednesday during an accident in which Charlotte, N.C. police say he fell out of the back of a pickup truck during a domestic dispute with his fiance.

Henry was found on a road in Charlotte "apparently suffering life-threatening injuries," Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said in a statement. Henry was transported to Carolinas Medical Center, the local trauma unit, but spokesman Scott White said the receiver wasn't listed in hospital records and had no other information.

Police say Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup truck as his unidentified fiance was driving away from a home. The domestic dispute continued, and Henry eventually fell out of the truck.

"The domestic situation continued between the operator and Mr. Henry," the police said in a statement. "At some point while she was driving, Mr. Henry came out of the back of the vehicle."

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said he had little information other than Henry was badly hurt.

"We are aware he was in an accident and that his injuries are very serious," Brennan told The Associated Press. "We are obviously staying in touch with the situation and are ready to offer whatever assistance we can."

*EDIT*

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry died Thursday, one day after falling out of the back of a pickup truck during what police said was a domestic dispute with his fiancee.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said Henry died at 6:36 a.m. He was 26.

"We knew him in a different way than his public persona," Bengals owner Mike Brown said of the player who was suspended five times during his five-year NFL career. "He had worked through the troubles in his life and had finally seemingly reached the point where everything was going to blossom. And he was going to have the future we all wanted for him. It's painful to us. We feel it in our hearts, and we will miss him."

Police spokeswoman Rosalyn Harrington said homicide detectives have been assigned to the case but had no further information.

Later Thursday, police released two 911 tapes. The first was from an unidentified woman who said she was following a yellow pickup truck.

"It's got a black man on it with no shirt on, and he's got his arm in a cast and black pants on," she told a dispatcher. "He's beating on the back of this truck window. ... I don't know if he's trying to break in or something. It just looks crazy. It's a girl driving it."

Just over a minute later, an unidentified man called 911 and said he saw a man "laying in the road" and "definitely unconscious."

Henry was rushed to the hospital Wednesday after being found on a curvy section of a residential road. Police said the dispute began at a home about a half-mile away, and Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup truck as his fiancee drove away from the residence.

Police said at some point when she was driving, Henry "came out of the back of the vehicle." Harrington wouldn't say if the woman, whom police wouldn't identify, was present at the scene when police arrived.

Henry is engaged to Loleini Tonga, and the couple has been raising three children. Tonga's MySpace page identifies herself as "Mrs. C. Henry" and has a picture of her next to a person who appears to be Henry. She also has a post from Tuesday talking about buying wedding rings. A neighbor said Wednesday that the Tonga family owns the home where police say the incident began. Charlotte is home to his fiancee's parents.

"We ask that you keep Chris' family -- especially the young children he leaves behind -- in your prayers," Henry's agent, Andy Simms of PlayersRep Sports said in a statement. "It is tragic when a life is taken so young. He was a man just realizing his potential, not just in football, but in life."

Cincinnati Bengals

Bengals players will wear this helmet decal during Sunday's game in San Diego.

Authorities haven't announced the cause of Henry's death. Mecklenburg County medical examiner investigator Carol Cormier said she was expecting to receive the body later Thursday.

The Bengals will wear a helmet sticker with Henry's jersey No. 15 on it to honor their late teammate during Sunday's road game against the San Diego Chargers.

When the players received word that Henry had died, quarterback Carson Palmer called them together in the locker room and said they should dedicate the game and rest of the season to Henry and the wife of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who unexpectedly died during the season.

Henry was away from the Bengals after breaking his left forearm during a Nov. 8 victory over the Baltimore Ravens. He had surgery and was placed on season-ending injured reserve following the game.

"We are greatly saddened by today's tragic news about the loss of Chris Henry," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to Chris' family, including his Bengals family. We have been in contact with the Bengals to offer our support through this difficult time.

"I ask you to keep Chris Henry and his family in your thoughts today."

Throughout his football career, Henry's temper and poor decisions got him in trouble. He was ejected from a game and suspended for another while at West Virginia, where former coach Rich Rodriguez told Henry that he was an embarrassment to himself and the program. Henry's reputation already was costing him -- the Bengals were the only NFL team to bring him in for a pre-draft visit in 2005.

The Bengals found that Henry's demeanor didn't match his reputation. He was shy and spoke in a quiet voice. They warned him that he had to stay in control if he was going to stay in the NFL. Then they picked him in the third round.

In a sense, it already was a second chance.

"I'm worth the chance," Henry said when he showed up the following weekend for a rookie minicamp. "I'm just happy they took me."

Henry become a vital part of the offense as a rookie, helping the Bengals reach the playoffs in 2005 with his ability to run past defenders to grab long passes. In the final month of the season, he also showed his other side, being arrested for marijuana possession. After a playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was arrested on a gun charge in Florida.

Henry and former Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones became the league's two most trouble-bound players. Goodell suspended both in 2007 -- Jones for a full season, Henry for half of it -- as part of a toughening of the league's personal-conduct policy.

When Henry was arrested for a fifth time following that season on an assault charge, the Bengals decided they'd had enough. At his arraignment on April 3, 2008, Municipal Court Judge Bernie Bouchard called Henry "a one-man crime wave." He was released by the Bengals the same day.

It was a jolt to Henry, who had dreamed of an NFL career since high school, when he had the league's logo tattooed on the back of his right hand. No team showed an interest in bringing him back. His career seemed finished.

Then, Brown -- who refers to himself as "a redeemer" -- changed his mind and gave him another chance.

"If you only knew him by hearsay, you'd think he's some kind of ogre," Brown said during the Bengals' appearance on HBO's "Hard Knocks" series this summer. "It's not true. He's a good person. When you see him up close, you'll find that you'll like him. He'll be a soft-spoken, pleasant person."

This time, Henry seemed determined to stay out of trouble. After making just 19 catches and scoring two touchdowns in 12 games in 2008, he set about making himself a top-flight receiver again. He got into top shape and worked out with teammates during the offseason, showing more resolve than at any point in his career.

Henry also changed his personal life, spending more time with his fiancee and the three children they are raising. Teammates noticed a pronounced change in Henry's demeanor.

"He's a great kid with a great heart," quarterback Carson Palmer said as training camp started. "He's changed his life around. He ran into some trouble, made some bad decisions and realized that. He's sorry for them, apologized for them and has done everything he can to make himself a better person. I'm just proud of him."

Before the 2009 season, Henry had a new tattoo that matched his new outlook. Below his left ear, in flowing one-inch script, was the world "Blessed."

"I kind of felt like I dug myself out of the hole and started doing the right things," Henry said in an interview with The Associated Press as training camp opened. "People say, 'How you feeling now, Chris? You doing all right?' I just tell them I'm blessed. That's why I got it."

Henry caught a touchdown pass in each of Cincinnati's four preseason games. A thigh injury slowed him early in the season, and he had 12 catches for 236 yards -- his 19.7-yard average per catch leads the team -- when he broke his left arm against the Ravens, ending his season.

"He was doing everything right," Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco said. "My grandma always says you never question the man upstairs on decisions he makes. Everyone makes mistakes, but I don't see how Chris was supposed to go already, especially when he was on the right path. Other than that, he's going to be missed."

Henry broke his left forearm during a Nov. 8 victory over the Baltimore Ravens, had surgery and was placed on season-ending injured reserve.

Henry is in the final year of his contract with the Bengals, who let him go after his fifth arrest following the 2007 season. Bengals owner Mike Brown then brought Henry back a few months later, signing him to a two-year deal, and the receiver had stayed out of trouble since his return.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's being reported that he is on life support and is fighting for his life.

Agent: Henry is "battling for his life"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 16, 2009 9:32 PM ET

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry is "battling for his life tonight," according to his agent, Andy Simms.

Simms' words underscore the grave nature of Henry's struggle. By all accounts, Henry remains on life support after getting thrown from the back of a truck earlier Wednesday, following a domestic situation.

The more we hear about the situation, the more dire it sounds.

Dan Graziano of AOL's FanHouse.com quotes a source "with direct knowledge" of the situation: "We don't think he's going to make it."

Henry's mother and the rest of his family arrived in Charlotte, North Carolina Wednesday night. Henry was in Charlotte with his fiance, where her parents live.

We send Henry and his family our best wishes at this difficult time.

My thoughts go out to him and his family.

I was at the Carolina Hurricanes game tonight, and when I was leaving, it came over the radio on a couple different occasions that he was pronounced dead tonight around 10:00PM, then 11:00 PM, then 11:45 PM. Since ESPN hasn't said anything, and the Charlotte Observer hasn't said anything, I believe those radio reports were false. The reason I'm telling you all this is to point out how often the media makes mistakes, so take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Also, I'm drunk, and I wanted to contribute something.

I saw a report that Chris Henry of the Bengals has now died as a result of those injuries he suffered from falling off the back of a pickup truck last night. Too bad. It seemed like he was somewhat getting his act together.

I believe this is the second tragedy this year to strike the Bengals. Their DC's wife died earlier, unexpectedly.

Not funny, not cool to speak ill of the dead.

Not funny or cool but let's keep this in perspective here, this guy was a moron ten times over and led a piece of shit life that is well documented. I can only begin to imagine what him and Pacman behaved like daily in their dorm room together, but I'm sure part of it consisted of picking on any and every white boy they came in contact with.

People all over the world die everyday, it's life. I'm not going to get all choked up over someone like Chris Henry, who BTW, was doing something totally typical of his moron self.....even after he supposedly changed his life around.

Keep it in perspective folks.

Not funny or cool but let's keep this in perspective here, this guy was a moron ten times over and led a piece of shit life that is well documented. I can only begin to imagine what him and Pacman behaved like daily in their dorm room together, but I'm sure part of it consisted of picking on any and every white boy they came in contact with.

People all over the world die everyday, it's life. I'm not going to get all choked up over someone like Chris Henry, who BTW, was doing something totally typical of his moron self.....even after he supposedly changed his life around.

This is true ignorance. You are a real class act. I hope people feel the same about you when you die, and from what I can gather after reading this piece of trash, I assume they will. You don't know anything about Chris Henry.

This is true ignorance. You are a real class act. I hope people feel the same about you when you die, and from what I can gather after reading this piece of trash, I assume they will. You don't know anything about Chris Henry.

Settle down tough guy. It is well documented what an idiot he was. Of course people like you overreact to something and read much more into it. Are you all concerned right now over the local east Clevelander that just died today? Doubt it. Just cuz this dude played pro ball doesn't exclude him from what is expected of decent societal behavior. Never said I was happy about it, but I prefer to mourn the loss of our military personnel, my loved ones and friends and even those types of the ilk that Sowell killed. This guy was handed a plate of gold and pissed all over it most of his life (or at least playing career). I certainly feel for his family and all that, but I'm not going to lose sleep over someone like Chris Henry dying by being a complete idiot. I also have a friend whose kid lived in the same dorm as those two at WV. I know more than you think.

Let the moral onslaught begin. Give me some more of Timmy Couch Tough Guy.

of course, but I don't feel like it's a good idea to speak ill of the dead. It doesn't matter who the dead person was, i don't worship false idols.

I think there is a balance between what riffer and tim couch are saying. While it is tragic that he died. He DID die leaping into the back of a pick up truck in the middle of a domestic incident. When you make impulse decisions (like Henry was known to do) around automobiles, things like this happen. Better judgment would have saved his life.

Settle down tough guy. It is well documented what an idiot he was. Of course people like you overreact to something and read much more into it. Are you all concerned right now over the local east Clevelander that just died today? Doubt it. Just cuz this dude played pro ball doesn't exclude him from what is expected of decent societal behavior. Never said I was happy about it, but I prefer to mourn the loss of our military personnel, my loved ones and friends and even those types of the ilk that Sowell killed. This guy was handed a plate of gold and pissed all over it most of his life (or at least playing career). I certainly feel for his family and all that, but I'm not going to lose sleep over someone like Chris Henry dying by being a complete idiot. I also have a friend whose kid lived in the same dorm as those two at WV. I know more than you think.

There you go. Someone dies and you're turning it into a tough guy internet battle. xxxxed up man, who cares how stupid he was? He is a human being. Thoughts go out to his family

although, this is a good example of evolution...who jumps into a moving truck like that?

of course, but I don't feel like it's a good idea to speak ill of the dead. It doesn't matter who the dead person was, i don't worship false idols.

Never understood that theory. So someone who was basically a pile of shit their whole life suddenly deserves to be spoken well of upon death---talking in general here. Never made sense to me, but then again I tend to go against the grain on a lot of things that I feel are common sense, whereas Timmy Todd Couch up there likes to play moral crusader.

To each his own I guess.

There you go. Someone dies and you're turning it into a tough guy internet battle. xxxxed up man, who cares how stupid he was? He is a human being. Thoughts go out to his family

although, this is a good example of evolution...who jumps into a moving truck like that?

Guess you missed where Timmy Todd came after me with every girlie insult in the book. Oh, that's right, he is on the moral majority side I forgot.

So, when somebody calls you out for being a complete xxxx, they're all of a sudden an "internet tough guy"? What happened to just being a decent human being? The guy was a dick in college, and early in his career, yes. Guess what, a lot of people are dicks when they are young. Ray Lewis was indicted for murder, yet he's one of the greatest contributors to charities in the NFL. Also happens to be a fantastic football player. When he dies, are you just going to say that he "led a peice of shit life"? I guess, in your eyes, once you make a mistake, you're tagged for the rest of your life. I happen to have met Chris Henry on two seperate occasions, and the kid was not like the media portrayed him as. He wasn't some flashy "thug", he was just a kid. Just because a person wasn't a Bible-thumping Christian doesn't mean they shouldn't be missed. As for the local east-Clevelander... I can feel for him too. I don't reserve a spot in my heart for only one person that dies at a time.

When I was eight years old, I stole baseball cards from my best friend. Did I live a "peice of shit life", too? Or did I just live a peice of shit life because I don't agree with you 100%? I guess that makes me a "tough guy", and a bully. Say whatever you want to say to validate yourself in your own mind, you're a piece of shit yourself.

I think there is a balance between what riffer and tim couch are saying. While it is tragic that he died. He DID die leaping into the back of a pick up truck in the middle of a domestic incident. When you make impulse decisions (like Henry was known to do) around automobiles, things like this happen. Better judgment would have saved his life.

True. He didn't exercise the best reasoning when jumping into the truck. Granted, we don't know why he jumped into the truck. All that's been said is that she was driving away, he jumped in the truck, and then was thrown from the truck later. Either way, he shouldn't have done that.

So, when somebody calls you out for being a complete xxxx, they're all of a sudden an "internet tough guy"? What happened to just being a decent human being? The guy was a dick in college, and early in his career, yes. Guess what, a lot of people are dicks when they are young. Ray Lewis was indicted for murder, yet he's one of the greatest contributors to charities in the NFL. Also happens to be a fantastic football player. When he dies, are you just going to say that he "led a peice of shit life"? I guess, in your eyes, once you make a mistake, you're tagged for the rest of your life. I happen to have met Chris Henry on two seperate occasions, and the kid was not like the media portrayed him as. He wasn't some flashy "thug", he was just a kid. Just because a person wasn't a Bible-thumping Christian doesn't mean they shouldn't be missed. As for the local east-Clevelander... I can feel for him too. I don't reserve a spot in my heart for only one person that dies at a time.

When I was eight years old, I stole baseball cards from my best friend. Did I live a "peice of shit life", too? Or did I just live a peice of shit life because I don't agree with you 100%? I guess that makes me a "tough guy", and a bully. Say whatever you want to say to validate yourself in your own mind, you're a piece of shit yourself.

Hey dude, fooking drama queen much?

Some good points you made, but the estrogen is seeping out of you so much I can't really take you seriously. Grow a pair and then maybe we'll be a little closer in agreement.

True. He didn't exercise the best reasoning when jumping into the truck. Granted, we don't know why he jumped into the truck. All that's been said is that she was driving away, he jumped in the truck, and then was thrown from the truck later. Either way, he shouldn't have done that.

Sure, we don't know the details of the situation, but honestly man, the list of "good reasons to jump into the bed of a moving pickup truck that your girlfriend is driving away from you" is pretty short.

Hey dude, fooking drama queen much?

Some good points you made, but the estrogen is seeping out of you so much I can't really take you seriously. Grow a pair and then maybe we'll be a little closer in agreement.

So now I'm a girl because I care when somebody dies. I forgot, being a "man" is sitting back on the couch, opening up a nice cold brewski, sticking your hand down the front of your Wranglers, and fondling your nuts while watching good old fashioned American sports. Don't forget the big old wad of Copenhagen stuck between your lip and gum, and the beer's got to be American too. None of that pussy imported stuff, am I right?

At first I was pissed at you, but now I realized you're just an idiot. And hey, that's fine. Not everybody can afford to go to high school for all four years.

Also, I like how you validate yourself by calling me a girl. Whatever helps you sleep at night, man.

Archived