THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner trying to sell?

Guest Guest_destinfunk_*

Guest Guest_destinfunk_*

I read about a rumor that Kosar is trying to put together (or may have already) an ownership team to buy the browns...Lerner is ready to unload.

of course this is a rumor...but a few radio shows and browns related websites have commented on this as having some truth...

thoughts?

That'd be a mistake on Kosar's part...right now, everyone likes him....a few losing seasons, and his name will be dirt.

I think if Bernie could have ownership in the Browns iIm very sure he'll hire competant people to run it...because what weve seen thus far...hasnt worked!

I think if Bernie could have ownership in the Browns iIm very sure he'll hire competant people to run it...because what weve seen thus far...hasnt worked!

If I recall, Bernie tried to put together a group to purchase the team when we first returned to the NFL in '99. Maybe he'll get a second chance...

I have a feeling if Bernie was a owner, it would be as a very, very small minority owner.

Plus...I think right now NFL owners are sitting on property about as stable as a house on the market.

I think buyers are hard to find right now, and getting a price is another story.

NFL teams are WAY overvalued IMO

NFL teams are shortly going to be tremendously devalued if the economy continues its current downward spiral. going to games was already exorbitant before the economy crashed and now that people have even less money, fewer and fewer will be able to afford to go. teams will have to slash prices, will lose money and will therefore be worth less money. player salaries will also take a hit.

while it's possibly that people will seek diversion from their lives in the NFL, it's still likely that they won't be able to afford going to games and will instead go to movies.

a buyer would be far better off to wait or, if an owner realizes he's about to lose money on his investment and doesn't want to wait to make it back, he could sell low right now and make a small profit.

either way, investing half a billion dollars in an NFL team is a very risky proposition right now. even if lerner were inclined to sell, i don't think he and a buyer could agree on a price and that makes me sad. i think the dysfunction in our organization right now is largely lerner's fault. the owner, ultimately, has the final say on who stays and who goes and until he really cares about this team, nothing's going to change. i'd compare him to william clay ford, but our problem is coaching, not the GM.

me too.

Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

Because the NFL realized what a terrible decision it was to let a city own a team since they can't ever move them or disband them. You realize that they'd probably be the Milwaukee or LA Packers by now if they were owned by an individual.

Having a hands on owner could be interesting...or it could be a trainwreck. I have some issues with Randy-boy, but he at least appears not to actually make an effort to F things up. Hands on is only good if those hands know what the hell they're doing. Bernie has a great football mind, but I don't know how well that translates to ownership.

Doug

Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

Actually, it is against league rules for a city to own a team. Green Bay was already a publicly owned team when the rule was instituted, so they were grandfathered in.

-Al

it'd be interesting to see how bernie would do as an owner. i would like to think he'd know when to back off and when to be assertive, but no one really knows. at any rate, he doesn't have all that much money, so it would take a buyer or syndicate putting him in charge for him to have a leadership role in the organization.

I certainly know that Lerner has just spent $4.5 M on a house near me over here in Warwickshire, England. Perhaps he wants to spend more time looking after his Aston Villa (soccer) club and even less time on the Browns.

BTW, Aston Villa sucks arse and all brummies are tossers. :lol:

Guest 88fingerslewy

I was talking to an Ashtabula guy, Ravens weekend; and he mentioned Lerner might be selling because of an upcoming divorce. I didn't know he was married, and secondly I couldn't pick him out in a crowd. He's not a very visible owner. Anyone else hear this?

I was talking to an Ashtabula guy, Ravens weekend; and he mentioned Lerner might be selling because of an upcoming divorce. I didn't know he was married, and secondly I couldn't pick him out in a crowd. He's not a very visible owner. Anyone else hear this?

I'm originally an Ashtabula guy, and although there are some hardcore Browns fans there I don't know why one of those dudes would know about Lerner more than anyone else.

I don't consider it my business when it comes to his families personal life, but there could be some lingering effects from the tragedy a few years back involving the little boy. That was a terrible thing to happen to a family regardless how much money they have.

One thing I've never understood is blaming the owner. I use to ask one guy why he hated Modell and he'd say it was because he's a hands off owner. Then I'd turn around and ask another dude and he'd say it was because he was too hands on.

Lerner has done nothing but run a class organization. He's spared no expense on anything and has stayed out of the spotlight. His hires have looked good when he got them, I don't recall too many bitching about Policy and Clark and then he went out and got Butch, who everybody was excited about. Savage was a good hire and RAC 'n ROLLS had a recently good pedigree and track record. He made the right call on the Collins/Phillip feud and listened to the fans.

I really could care less if the guy has a soccer team over in England, that has no effect on me. Only thing that bothers me is this means the dude must like soccer, and that is a bit worrisome. Liking soccer enough to buy a team overseas makes me wonder about his sports knowledge and fandom, but I know he loves the Browns.

If anything, I think he may need to rein in Phillip a little bit, I think he's gotten a little carried away with himself. I mention this a lot, but it's my opinion that Savage is the guy who single handily forced this entire franchise into buying into Derek Anderson. I saw it first hand at the Browns Backers meeting last spring when he held a mic into about 15 scouts and personnel people and forced them to say DA is the QB. It was Napoleonesque in every way, and this whole franchise was force fed DA, despite what a ton of us knowledgeable fans out here knew. We expected to win this year and putting the entire franchise on the back of the Oregon Beaver Boy was foolish.

We saw enough last year to know DA wasn't the guy to lead a consistent playoff team. He should have been moved and picks acquired while he still had value, plain and simple. This would have justified using the draft picks on Rogers and Williams a helluva lot more.

Seriously, I'm not one to go apeshit and start blaming everybody from the owner on down when a team fails, but Lerner is not my worry, Savage is. Not a lot, but enough to make me take notice. This DA transgression is something that could have set this franchise back a few years. Watching the guy destroy our season and lose any value he had because of stubbornness by the guy up top is scary.

RAC 'n ROLLS is done, but I've been nothing but not impressed with Chud and Tucker, they've been downright terrible. Both have shown flashes when things were going well, but then turned around and cost us games. The Baltimore fiasco of rushing three on 3rd and 16 when Flaxico was ready to get knocked out is downright stupid and I shouldn't have to watch morons lose big games like that. Sorry, I've invested too much time into being a fan of this team this long to watch that kind of stupidity in coaching. Chud has shown no imagination when needed and we're sitting around letting playmakers like Cribbs and Harrison rest when we're trying to force feed Lewis into 9 man run blitzes. The goal line debacles have been downright embarrassing, as these guys have never heard of a QB sneak or putting someone like Rogers in the backfield.

This rant started as a stick up for Lerner thing but evolved into more. Basically, the problems I see are straight up coaching by RAC 'n ROLLS and his staff. I think Savage has done a decent enough job with talent and most of his decisions I have agreed with, however, IMO he is the man responsible for the DA fiasco after drafting a guy like Quinn and giving up two picks. Nobody else, it's all on him and that's what he wanted.

I don't like change, but at this point I think the coaching staff should be gutted after the season and Phil needs to have his power checked a bit.

Guest Guest_faninthehammer_*
I'm originally an Ashtabula guy, and although there are some hardcore Browns fans there I don't know why one of those dudes would know about Lerner more than anyone else.

I don't consider it my business when it comes to his families personal life, but there could be some lingering effects from the tragedy a few years back involving the little boy. That was a terrible thing to happen to a family regardless how much money they have.

One thing I've never understood is blaming the owner. I use to ask one guy why he hated Modell and he'd say it was because he's a hands off owner. Then I'd turn around and ask another dude and he'd say it was because he was too hands on.

Lerner has done nothing but run a class organization. He's spared no expense on anything and has stayed out of the spotlight. His hires have looked good when he got them, I don't recall too many bitching about Policy and Clark and then he went out and got Butch, who everybody was excited about. Savage was a good hire and RAC 'n ROLLS had a recently good pedigree and track record. He made the right call on the Collins/Phillip feud and listened to the fans.

I really could care less if the guy has a soccer team over in England, that has no effect on me. Only thing that bothers me is this means the dude must like soccer, and that is a bit worrisome. Liking soccer enough to buy a team overseas makes me wonder about his sports knowledge and fandom, but I know he loves the Browns.

If anything, I think he may need to rein in Phillip a little bit, I think he's gotten a little carried away with himself. I mention this a lot, but it's my opinion that Savage is the guy who single handily forced this entire franchise into buying into Derek Anderson. I saw it first hand at the Browns Backers meeting last spring when he held a mic into about 15 scouts and personnel people and forced them to say DA is the QB. It was Napoleonesque in every way, and this whole franchise was force fed DA, despite what a ton of us knowledgeable fans out here knew. We expected to win this year and putting the entire franchise on the back of the Oregon Beaver Boy was foolish.

We saw enough last year to know DA wasn't the guy to lead a consistent playoff team. He should have been moved and picks acquired while he still had value, plain and simple. This would have justified using the draft picks on Rogers and Williams a helluva lot more.

Seriously, I'm not one to go apeshit and start blaming everybody from the owner on down when a team fails, but Lerner is not my worry, Savage is. Not a lot, but enough to make me take notice. This DA transgression is something that could have set this franchise back a few years. Watching the guy destroy our season and lose any value he had because of stubbornness by the guy up top is scary.

RAC 'n ROLLS is done, but I've been nothing but not impressed with Chud and Tucker, they've been downright terrible. Both have shown flashes when things were going well, but then turned around and cost us games. The Baltimore fiasco of rushing three on 3rd and 16 when Flaxico was ready to get knocked out is downright stupid and I shouldn't have to watch morons lose big games like that. Sorry, I've invested too much time into being a fan of this team this long to watch that kind of stupidity in coaching. Chud has shown no imagination when needed and we're sitting around letting playmakers like Cribbs and Harrison rest when we're trying to force feed Lewis into 9 man run blitzes. The goal line debacles have been downright embarrassing, as these guys have never heard of a QB sneak or putting someone like Rogers in the backfield.

This rant started as a stick up for Lerner thing but evolved into more. Basically, the problems I see are straight up coaching by RAC 'n ROLLS and his staff. I think Savage has done a decent enough job with talent and most of his decisions I have agreed with, however, IMO he is the man responsible for the DA fiasco after drafting a guy like Quinn and giving up two picks. Nobody else, it's all on him and that's what he wanted.

I don't like change, but at this point I think the coaching staff should be gutted after the season and Phil needs to have his power checked a bit.

I agree almost 100%. My one question mark is Chud. I really liked the offensive plans last year & am not convinced Chud has had the same level of freedom & control this year. On the other hand, if Chud has called the offense all this season, he IS part of the problem.

Mike

I agree almost 100%. My one question mark is Chud. I really liked the offensive plans last year & am not convinced Chud has had the same level of freedom & control this year. On the other hand, if Chud has called the offense all this season, he IS part of the problem.

Mike

I think Chud is talented, but his playcalling only seems to be effective when everything is clicking. I've yet to see him make very many good calls when the offense needs it. Last week, he finally went ahead and gave the ball to Cribbs on an end around and it of course worked. Then, he turned around and ran the exact same play. They have a ton of packages for Cribbs, so why not utilize something else? He's too dependent on the oline blasting away guys to give Lewis running lanes when the defense is completely sold out on the run.

I think he has to have things going great like in the Giants game to be successful, otherwise he is not good at creating offense by what the defense is dictating.

Archived