THE BROWNS BOARD

The Worst Coaching Hire Ever?

Kosar_For_President

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray Handley and Rich Kotite were the two worst ever. Dennis Erickson anyone?? Sorry Browns fans. The self-pity and loathing ends here. It's a tired approach. Mangini has made some mistakes but he's shown he can coach in this league. If you look at quality wins over quality coaches... He won against Belicheck, Fisher and Cowher so your supposition that he's the worst coach ever is unlikely. In a slump? I'll buy that. Trying to work with shit players? Sure. Worst coach ever? No.

BTW Elam was the one fined and yes, he still loves EM. Davis had better love EM because the NFL said EM did nothing wrong. That's what happens when you take ESPN's word on everything.

“Mangini’s first camp, really, his first couple seasons is just him getting a feel for guys. The thing about Mangini is he wants to find out which players are with him, which guys are about his philosophy. His camp is about pushing, breaking guys down to their lowest point, then pushing you further. That’s how Mangini weeds guys out. He wants to find his core guys, then build his team around his guys.” - Laveranues Coles on Eric Mangini

So he's trying to weed out players on a team that HAS NO PLAYERS. It's ManGenius.

all you guys that are anti-mangini's building process

A- what do you suggest (please something more intelligent and involved than "start Quinn")

B- what would you do in his position?

it's easy to throw stones. got anything constructive? any ideas of your own?

Ray Handley and Rich Kotite were the two worst ever. Dennis Erickson anyone?? Sorry Browns fans. The self-pity and loathing ends here. It's a tired approach. Mangini has made some mistakes but he's shown he can coach in this league. If you look at quality wins over quality coaches... He won against Belicheck, Fisher and Cowher so your supposition that he's the worst coach ever is unlikely. In a slump? I'll buy that. Trying to work with shit players? Sure. Worst coach ever? No.

BTW Elam was the one fined and yes, he still loves EM. Davis had better love EM because the NFL said EM did nothing wrong. That's what happens when you take ESPN's word on everything.

Not the worst coach ever, the worst hire ever. Many things come into play.

A- what do you suggest (please something more intelligent and involved than "start Quinn")

I mentioned it before. They need a GM with some balls. One who played the game. Mangini needs to focus on coaching. Look at the mistakes we made on the field. Look at the players quitting on him. That is 100% on Mangini, he can't blame anyone else for that this time.

Im still giving mangini the rest of the season, but his mid term grade is incomplete. I cant even give him a grade while he still shows signs that he doesn't have any control over this team.

Usually by now most teams take on the same attitude and persona of their head coach. And if that is the case we are in trouble with Mangini.

Im still giving mangini the rest of the season, but his mid term grade is incomplete. I cant even give him a grade while he still shows signs that he doesn't have any control over this team.

Usually by now most teams take on the same attitude and persona of their head coach. And if that is the case we are in trouble with Mangini.

we're vanilla, vague and passive.

i'd say we've done a great job of emulating the coach.

good post. i would start by explaining what the building process was exactly because right now it looks like this: get rid of play makers, bring in has-beens and never-weres, draft a bunch a rookies and never play them so they can't get experience and make sure that all the players who are on this team hate me. also it would be nice to admit that i think nothing of team chemistry unless my idea of chemistry was have the players come together by sharing one idea: i am an idiot and everyone hates me.

then i would say why i went against my word and benched brady after saying that i would stick with my decision after making it. i would then explain what i was thinking when i left da in after his repeated failures at qb.

i would admit that i took too much control of the team and part of the blame is certainly on me, but not all of it. kokinas certainly did have some say, but not a whole lot. it's not my fault that lerner is a moron who gave me so much power to begin with also.

unfortunately none of this has happened or will happen. mangini is too pompous to admit any of this let alone take blame for something. he would be a great politician.

Or it could be mangini does almost everything wrong and has created justified fanboles from frustrated sickened fans that have to watch mangini and dabolle wreck our team in an unethical and disturbing manner...such as mishandling players and angering the top agents in the business..or keeping daboll around because he is a long time friend when in fact the guy lacks way to much skill and creativity for the job...so lets hug DA last week and then blame him and bench him with a cold shoulder when in fact its dabolls offense that isnt suited for a dawg or their fans..yeah thats one helluva coaching staff there when DA shouldnt even be on the field to begin with...the players gotta love these guys right?

Wrong they just arent going to be honest about it...yet...;)

We need many justified faboles...instead of everyday take it in the ass and love it fanboys....;)

good post. i would start by explaining what the building process was exactly because right now it looks like this: get rid of play makers, bring in has-beens and never-weres, draft a bunch a rookies and never play them so they can't get experience and make sure that all the players who are on this team hate me. also it would be nice to admit that i think nothing of team chemistry unless my idea of chemistry was have the players come together by sharing one idea: i am an idiot and everyone hates me.

then i would say why i went against my word and benched brady after saying that i would stick with my decision after making it. i would then explain what i was thinking when i left da in after his repeated failures at qb.

i would admit that i took too much control of the team and part of the blame is certainly on me, but not all of it. kokinas certainly did have some say, but not a whole lot. it's not my fault that lerner is a moron who gave me so much power to begin with also.

unfortunately none of this has happened or will happen. mangini is too pompous to admit any of this let alone take blame for something. he would be a great politician.

getting rid of Dropsy Edwards was a great deal. He was a total primadonna who couldn't even catch the ball. New York isn't exactly doing so well since they've traded for him, are they? And KW, what has he done in Tampa? Playmakers actually have to make plays to be considered such.

mangini drafts well? dabrickishaw ferguson (the best name ever by the way), vernon gholston, ricky mcintosh, kellen clemens, and jon beason? yeah, those guys are studs.

What about Dustin Keller, Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, Brad Smith,and Little Leon? You can't say they haven't been beneficial to the team. Vernon hasn't been terrible, he just took some time. And look at Mark Sanchez, Mangini is so great at drafting players, he drafts the Jets quality players even when he's not employed by them.

And what about Jon Beason? He's in Carolina.

you forgot to mention that he's fat and boring.

This is has exactly what to do with coaching? Andy Reid is fat. He's boring. Holmgren is fat. He's boring too. Are your lives so devoid of meaning and entertainment that you need your coaches to be entertaining? Rex Ryan is entertaining. To the tune of a .500 record because he's too busy giving pithy sound bites. His dad was just hysterical and he coached the Eagles to a ton of championships....

Lerner needs to let Mangini finish the season, be a man, admit he was wrong and start over. Walk 50 million in unmarked bills down to North Carolina and set it on Cowher's door step.

Bill.....Cowher...in...Cleveland...will... NEVER... happen.

First, Bill Cowher doesn't need 50 million dollars

Second, Bill Cowher doesn't want to come back and work in a dysfunctional organization with an idiot for an owner

Third, Bill Cowher is NEVER going to a team in the same division as the Steelers. He won't compete against the Rooneys or his own legacy. He won't risk the adoration of legions of Steeler fans that adore him

Fourth, Bill Cowher doesn't need to come to Cleveland if a job opportunity opens up in an NFC town closer to home (Carolina or Washington).

Now speaking of the legacy he built in Pittsburgh. Hmmm. Let's see. Did his owner fire him when he fooled around with Kordell Stewart as his QB? Did they can him for the first how many years before he really won anything? No.

As long as the Cleveland Browns keep changing horses midstream, they'll never get across. I am not here to say that Lerner won't fire Mangini at season's end if the results dictate it....but you can't keep blowing it up and expect it to get any better.

Now speaking of the legacy he built in Pittsburgh. Hmmm. Let's see. Did his owner fire him when he fooled around with Kordell Stewart as his QB? Did they can him for the first how many years before he really won anything? No.

As long as the Cleveland Browns keep changing horses midstream, they'll never get across. I am not here to say that Lerner won't fire Mangini at season's end if the results dictate it....but you can't keep blowing it up and expect it to get any better.

Cowher led the Steelers to the playoffs in his first six years as their head coach. He started winning as soon as he got there. Granted, he had a higher caliber of player than Mangini was blessed with in his first year. I do agree with you about the fact that we can't keep changing head coaches and expect to win. Consistency is something that hasn't been present in Cleveland for years, and that's why we always lose. In fact, the only consistency we have had since coming back to the NFL are our consistent losing seasons. We need to stick with things and ride them out. Let's stop panicking and second guessing ourselves.

Cowher led the Steelers to the playoffs in his first six years as their head coach. He started winning as soon as he got there. Granted, he had a higher caliber of player than Mangini was blessed with in his first year. I do agree with you about the fact that we can't keep changing head coaches and expect to win. Consistency is something that hasn't been present in Cleveland for years, and that's why we always lose. In fact, the only consistency we have had since coming back to the NFL are our consistent losing seasons. We need to stick with things and ride them out. Let's stop panicking and second guessing ourselves.

very nice post. +1

Some things that make me optimistic about Mangini, even half-way into a miserable season:

1. He seems like a smart problem-solver. Once he has the talent, I don't see him losing many games by having the wrong gameplan.

2. He's disciplined (unlike Crennel) without being an asshole (like Butch Davis). I love how few penalties we've committed this year. I'm worried about mistaken assignments on defense explaining some of those huge plays against us. But I have to think that over time Rob Ryan + Mangini is going to give us a strong defense, especially if we draft some playmakers.

3. I like his emphasis on players with character and reasonable intelligence who put football first, players like Cribbs, Wimbley, and Massaquoi. His emphasis on players who can play multiple positions has already proven helpful.

4. In spite of all the drama this season, I think of Mangini as (more or less) even-tempered and an upstanding guy. Yes, it's nice having the fiery Ryan as def coordinator, but that sort of character can quickly become Tom Cable before you know it, and you just don't want that at the helm.

I'm a fan of the quintessential hierarchy in football. I believe that's what we're starting to acheive, for the most part.

A defensive coordinator who's fiery and outspoken. A person whose players would run through a brick wall if he asked them to. (check)

An offensive coordinator who really knows and understands defenses, and can pinpoint any defenses exact weakness.

A head coach who is a wizard at gameplanning, is even-keeled and strict in discipline. (check)

A GM who possesses inside information and experience within the league, and can handle the media as well.

An owner with in insane amount of money, who honestly tries to field a great product. (we're halfway there)

Also, a former QB that possesses a vast knowledge of the game that could come in and be a QB coach wouldn't hurt, either. (That means you, Bernie)

What a douche bag. Blow Mangini on your own time.

See this is the problem I have with Mangini haters....No substance to there arguments, and when someone uses facts they automatically get really pissy....you are all sheep please keep listening to ESPN and stomping your feet its quite entertaining.

Archived