THE BROWNS BOARD

The Worst Coaching Hire Ever?

Kosar_For_President

I haven't come up with a new word for a while, so I want to throw one out there .. the word is "fanbole" (pronounced FAN-buh-lee).

The definition is simply: A sweeping, exaggerated and often ludicrous sports statement that a fan makes when under the influence of an emotional sports event (and perhaps various substances).

If you see a shortstop make a diving stop and throw out a runner, you might say: "That's the greatest play I have ever seen." That would be a fanbole. It might be the greatest play you ever saw, but it probably isn't. In that moment, it feels that way.

If you see the Kansas City Chiefs give up against the Philadelphia Eagles like they did on Sunday, you might say: "This is the worst football team in the history of the NFL." That too would be a fanbole. The Chiefs are terrible, but they are probably not the worst team in NFL history. Probably not.

You call a player the worst ever, a coach a genius, a general manager an idiot -- these are probably fanboles.

But one of the fun things about a fanbole is that sometimes, after uttering one (or tweeting one), you will find that after you think about it for a while -- hey, you know what? -- you ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT.

I recently tweeted this: "Another one of those fan maybe-overstatement-maybe-not thoughts: Eric Mangini was the worst NFL head coach hire in 25 years."

Now, I'll admit -- that's pure fanbole. I cannot stand what Eric Mangini has done to the Browns, the team of my childhood. I cannot stand the lack of respect he has shown for the team's history, the Mickey Mouse game he plays with quarterbacks, the amazing knack he has for getting his players to not play hard for him or the stupid fines he hands out like he's Principal Vernon from "The Breakfast Club." Don't mess with the bull, young man, you'll get the horns.

But here's the thing: Based on the Twitter responses I've seen ... I'm actually starting to believe that I'm right. I'm actually starting to believe that Mangini really was the worst head coach hire in 25 years. The responses have mostly been to list other coaches who were worse hires than Mangini. But you know what? I don't think any of those hires WERE worse than Mangini. Remember:

1. Mangini had just been fired in New York, where he had done a terrible job. He had a losing record. His team had collapsed down the stretch, he had alienated his players, he was a pain in the neck to deal with. Point is: He'd already PROVEN how much damage he could do as a coach.

2. He came right out of the school of Bill Belichick ... and that didn't work THE FIRST TIME in Cleveland. It seems to me that Cleveland is a working-class town and Browns fans want a working-class coach -- not some pompous know-it-all who doesn't feel like he should have to explain to the commoners what he's doing.

3. What had he ever done to convince anyone he could be a head coach in the first place? Why, because he was a defensive coordinator for the Patriots under Belichick for one season? The Browns had JUST HIRED Romeo Crennel, who was ALSO defensive coordinator under Belichick. Attention Cleveland Browns owners, here's a good hint: BILL BELICHICK IS HIS OWN DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

4. Basically the first thing Mangini did -- first thing -- was have them tear down a mural of great Cleveland Browns players on the wall in the Browns offices. Now, there are differing opinions about what really happened, whose fault it really was, does it all matter, etc. You know what? The Cleveland Browns have never been to a Super Bowl. Never. Not one. But Browns fans still have a whole lot of pride. Browns fans grow up on a glorious history. If you allow something stupid like that to happen on your watch ... just a horrendous hire.

Now, here is a partial list of hires Twitter people think were worse than Mangini ... and why I disagree*:

*And remember: I'm talking about WORST HIRES, not necessarily WORST COACHES. Sometimes what seems like a good hire can turn disastrous. And sometimes what seems like a bad hire turns out well. We're talking specifically about the decision to hire Mangini here.

• Art Shell (Oakland): Admittedly this was a dreadful hire ... but there's no way it comes close to Mangini. Shell is a Raiders legend, a Hall of Famer player, who was also the first African American coach in the NFL (well, second, going back to Fritz Pollard in the 1920s). He actually coached the Raiders to three playoff appearances in five years in his first stint. True, when the Raiders hired him the second time he clearly had lost his coaching marbles ... but there's no way that's as bad a hire as Mangini.

• Jim Zorn (Washington): Well ... maybe. The whole process of hiring Zorn was nutty, and it's pretty clear he was overmatched. But Jim Zorn was a fine and fun quarterback, so at least he had that going for him. Plus he had not just been fired as a head coach.

• Bobby Petrino (Atlanta): This turned out to be a disastrous hire ... but I don't think it was considered bad at the time. Petrino was one of the hottest names in college football.

• Raheem Morris (Tampa Bay): Whew, yeah, that's a bad hire. But, again, at least he was hired from within and he had not just been canned.

• Steve Spurrier (Washington): No way. Not even close. Spurrier turned out to be a horrible NFL coach, but the hire itself was exciting and had every chance to work. NFL teams were falling over each other to hire Spurrier as a head coach. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the Mangini hire.

• Tom Cable (Oakland): The Raiders should have their own category when it comes to terrible NFL coach hires. But even this hire to me is not as insulting and infuriating as the Mangini hire. I mean, everyone in New York -- players, fans, media members, everyone -- DESPISED Mangini. I mean, I'm still wondering who in New York Mangini could have put down as a reference.

• Rich Kotite (New York Jets): Well, this hire has many of the same problems as the Mangini hire -- Kotite had just been canned, nobody liked him, and so on. But at least Kotite was a New Yorker who had played in the NFL and he had a winning record as a coach. This WAS bad ... I think Mangini was worse.

• Scott Linehan (St. Louis): Bad hire, of course, but he was a longtime assistant coach who had success in various other places. He'd coached in high school, in college, he was offensive coordinator for the Vikings and Dolphins. I don't think the hire itself compares to Mangini, though I certainly feel the Rams fans pain of having to endure two and a half seasons with him as coach.

• Marty Mornhinweg (Detroit): He was considered a bright young coordinator when the Lions hired him -- and he's offensive coordinator for the Eagles now. Plus, he lasted two years with the Lions (long enough to elect to kick off in overtime). I really don't think Mangini will last the season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...l#ixzz0W5KstHIZ

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly has Mangini done?.I swear do you people not know this team SUCKED last year and for most of the previous 10 years..Mangini's fault..what a load of BS...Savage,Policy, Butch..ya got some pretty good candidates for the previous 10 years..Mangini,,no way

He took over a roster that was so sub standard by NFL terms it was pathetic..He cut or released 50% of the team!!you really can't do much more..Brought in some defensive help from the Jets..The defense has played much better, but those guys were for depth and to replace the pile of turd that SAVAGE left..

There is no formula for instant success..it takes time

What exactly has Mangini done?.I swear do you people not know this team SUCKED last year and for most of the previous 10 years..Mangini's fault..what a load of BS...Savage,Policy, Butch..ya got some pretty good candidates for the previous 10 years..Mangini,,no way

He took over a roster that was so sub standard by NFL terms it was pathetic..He cut or released 50% of the team!!you really can't do much more..Brought in some defensive help from the Jets..The defense has played much better, but those guys were for depth and to replace the pile of turd that SAVAGE left..

I am not saying what he has done. He hasn't done shit TO get the job in the first place. I know it was a rough situation, which is why I would of hired someone more experienced. That is the point of the article. Not once does it mention personal decisions (at least in the 4 points I pointed out).

it's not that he's losing, we've had that before. it's how he is losing. we are 8 games into the season and the saints defense has more touchdowns than our offense. out of 32 teams, da's qb rating is 35. agents are telling their clients not to sign with us because of mangini. aside from our 1 win and the cinci game, we haven't been competitive in a any games. he is still refusing to announce anything to the media and is treating our qb situation like the launch codes to missiles. he is pissing everyone off and nobody likes playing for him.

all of these things are something that cleveland hasn't faced for a very long time, if not ever for some of them. mangini is a class a jerk who had no success and shouldn't have been hired. nobody should be defending him. he took a 4-12 with the toughest schedule in football and turned them into a 1-15 or 2-14 team with an easier schedule. he is atrocious and needs to go.

it's not that he's losing, we've had that before. it's how he is losing. we are 8 games into the season and the saints defense has more touchdowns than our offense. out of 32 teams, da's qb rating is 35. agents are telling their clients not to sign with us because of mangini. aside from our 1 win and the cinci game, we haven't been competitive in a any games. he is still refusing to announce anything to the media and is treating our qb situation like the launch codes to missiles. he is pissing everyone off and nobody likes playing for him.

all of these things are something that cleveland hasn't faced for a very long time, if not ever for some of them. mangini is a class a jerk who had no success and shouldn't have been hired. nobody should be defending him. he took a 4-12 with the toughest schedule in football and turned them into a 1-15 or 2-14 team with an easier schedule. he is atrocious and needs to go.

AMEN.

Yea like keeping the QB situation quiet is going to "keep them on their heels". It's a joke and the league is laughing at us.

We had a tougher schedule because of the in-division games and because of our fluke of a season in 07, but by no means can we say we had the toughest schedule in the NFL last season. There's fanbole for you!

the problem and tough part is, Mangini does some things well....(drafting, rebuilding, i'm even with him a bit on the discipline thing)... but those things you point out are GLARING negatives as well.

could we bring someone in to be more of a face/voice to connect with fans or the media? maybe. would they off set some of the Mange's negatives? who knows?

it's a crap shoot.

the problem and tough part is, Mangini does some things well....(drafting, rebuilding, i'm even with him a bit on the discipline thing)... but those things you point out are GLARING negatives as well.

could we bring someone in to be more of a face/voice to connect with fans or the media? maybe. would they off set some of the Mange's negatives? who knows?

it's a crap shoot.

mangini drafts well? dabrickishaw ferguson (the best name ever by the way), vernon gholston, ricky mcintosh, kellen clemens, and jon beason? yeah, those guys are studs.

Was just about to post something like this.

I think Peterbell is right that we need to give him some time but that ship is sinking fast... especially if we get blown out Monday night.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be Mangini today. Hated by everyone. East Coast Media, Local Media, Jets Fans, Pats fans, his own fans. The guy for the past week has shown incredible fortitude in his press conferences, steady and on message. The guy has guts, and like that quote from Kris Jenkins said, he doesn't cave in to media or fan pressure, just continues to do things his way. One thing he has done in one year is rid the team of overpaid mediocre (or worse) players (bye Corey Williams and Steinbach unless he restructures) which will give him or whoever is coach the chance to build a TEAM from the ground up.

mangini drafts well? dabrickishaw ferguson (the best name ever by the way), vernon gholston, ricky mcintosh, kellen clemens, and jon beason? yeah, those guys are studs.

touche. but on the other hand....(via Peter Bell in the other thread)

i'm sure there will be balanced drafting to help fit the MANY needs, but its an excellent starting point

to bring in some fresh faces..Mangini in New York

DRAFT PICKS

Revis

Mangold

Washington

Harris

Ferguson

FREE AGENTS

Jenkins

Pace

Favre

Faneca

I can't imagine what it would be like to be Mangini today. Hated by everyone. East Coast Media, Local Media, Jets Fans, Pats fans, his own fans. The guy for the past week has shown incredible fortitude in his press conferences.

Boo hoo, he brought this on himself. Many, many former players have said what a douche he is. Incredible fortitude in his press conferences!!! Get a first down and then we'll talk press conferences.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be Mangini today. Hated by everyone. East Coast Media, Local Media, Jets Fans, Pats fans, his own fans. The guy for the past week has shown incredible fortitude in his press conferences, steady and on message. The guy has guts, and like that quote from Kris Jenkins said, he doesn't cave in to media or fan pressure, just continues to do things his way. One thing he has done in one year is rid the team of overpaid mediocre (or worse) players (bye Corey Williams and Steinbach unless he restructures) which will give him or whoever is coach the chance to build a TEAM from the ground up.

so how is today different than any other day for mangini? how is it different than any day in new york?

it's not that he's losing, we've had that before. it's how he is losing

Losing the way Redskins, St Louis or Oakland is better

out of 32 teams, da's qb rating is 35

So your a Brady Quinn fan obviously

agents are telling their clients not to sign with us because of mangini.

Thats not true and show me proof..thats what was said in NY but Pace,Fenaca,Jenkins and Favre would differ on that

he is still refusing to announce anything to the media

What would you like him to announce to the media?

and is treating our qb situation like the launch codes to missiles.

Neither QB is playing well,again, so you want to go back to BQ?

he is pissing everyone off and nobody likes playing for him

Please provide quotes from players who don't like playing for him

all of these things are something that cleveland hasn't faced for a very long time

Cleveland has not been good for 10 years before EM

who had no success and shouldn't have been hired

He made the playoffs his first year in NY and would have last year if Brett didn't shit the bed

mangini is a class a jerk

You know him personally to call him a jerk?

nobody should be defending him.

I can defend anyone I wish.. buddy! This is still America,yes?

turned them into a 1-15 or 2-14 team

4-12 is a fact..1 and 15 is not

with an easier schedule

What is the winning % of teams the Browns have played.?.almost 70%..look it up

he is atrocious

Your failure to capitalize the start of sentences is atrocious..but your spelling is quite good!!

I'm figuring your somewhere between 14 and 18 yrs old..I dig the passion

Oh by the way ..OWNED

Thats not true and show me proof..thats what was said in NY but Pace,Fenaca,Jenkins and Favre would differ on that

all of these things are something that cleveland hasn't faced for a very long time

He made the playoffs his first year in NY and would have last year if Brett didn't shit the bed

with an easier schedule

he is atrocious

Your failure to capitalize the start of sentences is atrocious..but your spelling is quite good!!

Oh by the way ..OWNED

Peter, are you really Eric Mangini or one of his "friends?" Watch out for the bus that ran over his last friend!

with an easier schedule

he is atrocious

Oh by the way ..OWNED

What a douche bag. Blow Mangini on your own time.

Mangini or KoK? ro both?

but yes... that is a fairly darn good point.

but what can we do about it now?

Lerner needs to let Mangini finish the season, be a man, admit he was wrong and start over. Walk 50 million in unmarked bills down to North Carolina and set it on Cowher's door step.

What a douche bag. Blow Mangini on your own time.

OHH..THERE'S A LOGICAL ARGUEMENT

argue the points I made Mensa member, as opposed to tough guy name calling over the internet.

So lets see.. You can argue against Mangini but I can't argue for Mangini...whos the douche bag?

with an easier schedule

he is atrocious

Oh by the way ..OWNED

Owned my ass. You can't know that agent's aren't telling their clients not to go here, but who in their right mind would? You've got a tyrant for a coach, a fool of an owner, and an embarassment of a franchise, coming to Cleveland right now very well could be career suicide. Faneca and Favre both went to a place that was the immediate fit for them, Fancea for the money, and Favre as a place to play period. That was before the Jets imploded down the stretch last year, and the mangenius was shown for the fool he truly is. Had he never been on the Sopranos, half the country wouldn't have known who this clown was. There have been plenty of examples of friction with the guy: the players fined for water and parking spaces, the players on that bus trip (call it a non-story all you want, I guarantee there was discontent from someone over that, Brady Quinn for getting the shaft so fast, Derek Anderson for not getting enough time to practice in the preaseason if Quinn was just an appeasement move, the whole offense for not knowing who the hell is going to be taking the snaps and throwing to them each week, how about Big Baby? I personally would like a concerete plan announced to the media, what real effort is being undertaken instead of we're rebuilding and adjusting (that's just tough-sounding Romeo we're trying hard), who is the real QB, and enough of this secrecy about everything. The only point I'll concede is that you can defend him, but I can call you a dumbass for doing so. God Bless America

What do they have to do with the Browns? No one is comparing.

Everyone agrees they both suck. QB rating of 35! Try something else. Oh and it's you're, Retard.

Yea that was the Jets. The Browns is a whole different situation. HE GOT FIRED. If you got fired from your fast food technician position for smoking meth would they hire you back? No way.

The QB missile key codes.

Did you see the play when Anderson tripped over his own feet? At this point it's who will embarrass us less and it's BQ. DA looked like he was going to cry last week.

James Davis loves him. The dude who got fined $1700 for a bottle of water love him. Sedric Steptoe loves him. And that is only 1/2 through the season. That is why he brought in those players from the Jets. Those players probably liked him, out of the 52 men 6 players liked him. So bring in marginal players just because they like you. What an ego.

LOL, in the final 5 games of the season opponents scored 122 points on the Jets. Coming from behind in the NFL is a bitch. His whole team quit on him.

Alright Toby Keith

I'll see you back in December on this one.

it doesn't matter. da is horrible and should be benched. the fact that he may still start is a testament of how dumb mangini is.

yeah, that happened in new york not here genius: and they did it for the money. look at the articles from a month ago or so.

who the starting qb will be. has he not already showed that doing this is pointless?

i want him to say who is the starting qb is going to be. he is not saying who it will be because he doesn't want to answer questions on the matter. he is a coward.

what about the players who he fined and pissed off. i don't have quotes but there is plenty of evidence. how about the fact that the team completely took off the second half of the denver game. only a select few didn't quit.

yeah but this bad? not even being competitive in most games? hell we were more competitive in our first year back than we are now.

yes but he did this with the team that herm edwards built it was with an easy schedule. he should have taken control when favre was erratic and either benched him or tell him not to pass it. it's that simple.

throwing your "friend" under the bus doesn't make you a jerk. not answering questions because you know you're wrong doesn't make you a jerk? allowing rookies to face off without pads against guys who are wearing pads doesn't make you a jerk? fining guys for something small doesn't make you a jerk?

yes, and thank our men and women in the armed forces for that.

ok well then let's just wait for the end of the season when we win 1 or 2 more games and you're nowhere to be seen.

with an easier schedule

true, but let's see how we do against the remaining schedule. we'll talk more then assuming you are still around and don't run away with your tail between your legs: which you will.

he is atrocious

thanks for the input, but as a a**hole once said: This is still America,yes?

23 actually and nice grammar! it's "you're" genius.

Oh by the way ..OWNED

guessing by the way everyone else is ripping your post apart i would have to say that i am not the one owned. would you like to guess the person who is owned though? i'll give you a hint: it's the guy who wanted to put the name "ilovepeterandballs" but settled for a shorter name.

Archived