THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brady Quinn the Biggest Bust EVER?

admin

My beef with the post is the ridiculous, baiting, title - it is not Admin-worthy. But it is consistent with the "let's put all the QB posts together when DA has a bad game" precedent.

I agree with most of the questions in your original post, and that the situation is bizarre. From the reports I've seen my theory is that since that BQ didn't play well in the first 2.5 games this year and it was clear we were going to be horrible since we have neither a running game nor receivers, that the organization wanted to save the bonus money and they pulled BQ. There are also the rumors (although denied by all involved) that there were words between BQ and the coaches (likely either shortly before or after the BE shoes episode). So now BQ has ticked off the coaches and I think he's sitting regardless of how DA plays (who may set a record for all time worst QB performance in the NFL by a player starting more than half the season).

Thanks for your replies. I agree with your bottom paragragh. As far as the title, yeah not so good, but I over analzye everything ... it's who I am, and what you should come to expect. That ain't necessarily a bad thing or one to sling mud, and glad you didn't but can understand you checking me at the door.

This team is just really devoid of news-worthy stories right now. I bring up BQ because of the trade deadline coming and passing.

We've gone from staph to flu now apparently at the Berea facility. I was feeling good that some of our strengths are in the area's of the Packers weaknesses, but now with DQ out and the flu bug ... it's all ugly again.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, FOS- can't remember where I saw the link yesterday, but someone listed the all-time biggest NFL busts (any position) .

Coming in solidly @ #8 was the Browns Mike "Mad Dog in a Meatmarket" Junkin. Have to agree. I'll put Courtney Brown and Gerald Warren ahead of Couch in the lousy returns department.

Larry, that's only because you pimped Couch for two years while the Browns were on hiatus :)

And in the bad trade department, how's this one for a stinker- the Browns gave up a #1 pick to Buffalo for the rights to Tom Cousineau, who never amounted to more than a hill of beans in the NFL- that pick turned into Jim Kelly.

I agree and always felt that the trade put the Bills in several SBs and kept the Browns from achieving the same.

In fact, the Browns were instrumental in the building of the Bills. Remember what the team gave up for the rights to BK? Coupled with the Cousineau deal, the Bills might just have ended up with Kelly and Thermal Thomas +++.

Hind sight is 20-20.

PS Remember Keith Baldwin - the best 'pure' pass rusher in the draft??????????????????????????????

2 touchdown passes, 6 interception and 2 fumbles lost........You want this guy to play MORE? DA and BQ Suck ass.....Jake Locker please!

is locker available now? no? then what the xxxx else do you suggest we do for the rest of the season?

BQ has not looked better than DA, That is a fact (well unless you talking about in a bathing suit).

But he is not the biggest bust ever. Not even close. He was not the number one pick of the draft of even a top 10 pick. If a 22nd pick is a bust it will never be considered the biggest bust ever.

Seeing how Quinn is still on the roster takes the bust lable off the table. As DA continues to play his way out of town, the backup QB sits in wait. The coach has already stated a basic lack of weapons has affected both QB's.

Sitting Quinn for the rest of the season is an unusual bizzare form of damage control, it would be nice to see him back in there after the rookies have gelled a bit.

And you very well could be right.

I may very well have become clear to the staff we didn't stand a chance offensively and rather than wreck Quinn, they decided to sacrifice DA for the remainder of the season.

I haven't ruled that out, though I do think BQ needs to check his attitude. Right now it doesn't seem like he is a team player. If this is a part of Mangini's evaluation, and it could be, BQ isn't passing at this point.

I agree with most of the questions in your original post, and that the situation is bizarre. From the reports I've seen my theory is that since that BQ didn't play well in the first 2.5 games this year and it was clear we were going to be horrible since we have neither a running game nor receivers, that the organization wanted to save the bonus money and they pulled BQ.

This seems plausible. Few seem to mention it, but isn't DA's salary next year just as much of an issue as BQ's this year? If I recall DA makes a lot of money next year, so Mangini may be evaluating DA (although we've suffered a lot watching DA, this is Mangini's first year with him). IOW, it may not just be about BQ's contract, but also whether to cut bait with DA after this year.

I may very well have become clear to the staff we didn't stand a chance offensively and rather than wreck Quinn, they decided to sacrifice DA for the remainder of the season.

Possibly, although you'd think if this were the case we'd be hearing more conciliatory comments about BQ. "We want to bring him along slowly," etc. Instead, he was just gone, which leads me to believe there were other factors at work.

Right or wrong, I'm guessing that Mangini is pretty certain that the starter he wants is not on this team now.

Tim Couch should be remembered as the number one bust in browns history. Lucky for him that Ryan Leaf made all the headlines and was a bigger flop in the NFL.

Couch had 11 more TDs and 31 less INT in his two full years at Kentucky than he had in his 5 year NFL career.

Ouch.

Considering he was supposed to be the browns savior and the next coming of Elway, he was much more of a bust.

One of, <_< if not the best game Couch had while a Brown was against the Steelers. Also, he did not have much of a line to protect him. <_<

Fortunately for DA he had no real draft ranking to be a bust.. He is just... a bust period. but not a draft bust. not sure that makes me feel any better about him.. He sucks.. I still like Quinn better any day of the week. You will not convince me Quinn is a bust until he gets to play at least 10 consecutive games or more.. Otherwise the verdict is still out.. He may be a bust.. but right now it's because of the coaches not him.

And you very well could be right.

I haven't ruled that out, though I do think BQ needs to check his attitude. Right now it doesn't seem like he is a team player. If this is a part of Mangini's evaluation, and it could be, BQ isn't passing at this point.

As of late, i don;t beleive anythintg until game time. Too much manuevering off the feild, getting tired of it.

Fortunately for DA he had no real draft ranking to be a bust.. He is just... a bust period. but not a draft bust. not sure that makes me feel any better about him.. He sucks.. I still like Quinn better any day of the week. You will not convince me Quinn is a bust until he gets to play at least 10 consecutive games or more.. Otherwise the verdict is still out.. He may be a bust.. but right now it's because of the coaches not him.

Could not be more true.... finally someone with a brain.

Look at the stats people. DA is HORRIBLE...the thing that has helped the team "move the ball" or "look better" is the change at WR and the changes at OL which then improved the running game. DA has been his usual AWFUL, LAST in the NFL self.

where were these changes in personnel while Quinn was in? Look at who we played as well.

As a Browns player, Brady Quinn is only a bust if Mangini keeps being a stubborn idiot. Otherwise when Quinn does leave he will more than likely end up starting for another team.

Mangini's decision making is reckless and does not seem team oriented. He seems to have an ego that is getting in the way of coaching. I'm not just talking about his creating a QB controversy either. Mangini IS being stupid.

Steel I whole heartedly agree...We probably will never know how good Quinn could be because A: We hired a moron for a HC B: this kid has had crappy and inexperienced WR's to throw to. C: He's not been given a fair shot in My estimation meaning more than 6 starts to make a fair and honest evaluation..Mangini apparently is a Knee-Jerk reaction coach...the worst kind IMO...This trend will only kill the Browns even more pushing us farther back into obscurity...I have many thoughts but will share this in another post.

Steel I whole heartedly agree...We probably will never know how good Quinn could be because A: We hired a moron for a HC B: this kid has had crappy and inexperienced WR's to throw to. C: He's not been given a fair shot in My estimation meaning more than 6 starts to make a fair and honest evaluation..Mangini apparently is a Knee-Jerk reaction coach...the worst kind IMO...This trend will only kill the Browns even more pushing us farther back into obscurity...I have many thoughts but will share this in another post.

What do you base the highlighted comment (above) on?

the record and his conservative coaching style should give you a hint...or the bong water has gone to your head lol

Biggest bust ever. NO WAY.

Remember touchdown Tommy.

Mike Junkin.

There have been numerous busts.

I know BQ has really struggled, but you cannot call anyone a bust after starting as many games as he has.

I think this whole team except for a few is void of talent and ANY QB would struggle.

No wide receivers, no tight ends, no running backs and a bad defense and a right side of the OL that resembles a seive.

Just my opinion though

I agree. And again BQ was the 22nd pick in the first round not even a top 20 pick. You could never say that the 22nd pick is the biggest bust ever if he never saw the field.

And again BQ this year has faced the 17th, 18th and 2nd ranked defenses (Guess coaching mattered for denver). If they had not had BQ lead Browns to feast on then they would have been 26th ranked, 22nd ranked and 3rd ranked (though 200 yards to the average of 269 for denver). The teams he played have great records but not great defenses.

Still he is not the biggest bust ever, heck he might not be a bust at all but nothing I have seen says otherwise.

the record and his conservative coaching style should give you a hint...or the bong water has gone to your head lol

Conservative?

In previous years people called for Cribbs to be included more. This guy looked at Cribbs as a Safety, made a huge committment to Cribbs as a WR, and now has included him majorly in the WildDawg Offense.

In previous years people called for more Harrison touches. Mangini didn't go out and spend big bucks on a FA RB, he gave Harrison a starting spot with Lewis injurred and it's the best consistient production we've seen out of Harrison bewteen the tackles to-date.

In past years we cried to start/play the rookies; I'd say Mack taking every snap and MoMass and now Robiskie getting into the mix is light years ahead of the last guy.

Keep in mind, we are barely a quarter of the way through the guys first season.

In years past people wanted to see Brady Quinn get the nod. He did just that in weeks 1,2 & 3, until every phase of the offense was horribly stricten, and then he made a switch. Who's to say that was a poor choice? Still yet to be determined.

Mangini has accepted Kosar back, another long term bitch on these boards since we returned to the league.

Mangini ousted two huge pre-MaDonna's (KWII, & BE), and tossed loud mouth Smith off the team and deservingly so. Tough moves, conservative-NOT.

We have a first year play caller to go along with very green talent. Relax, give the guy some rope,

I'm not endorsing Mangin, I'm just tired of hearing people bitch. The things that most bitched about in past years, they are being negative about us trying this year.

tired of hearing people bitch? DUDE...we have a SUCK TEAM..get used to it...oh yeah...we already are, so why bitch?

Exactly ... last year we had huge expectations, I could see bitchig and moaning out of frustration. This year, I measure these games by small strides (as decribed above) and am enjoying some things. This is a 'good' year by comparison stakes.

Can't wait for each Sunday to see where we will progress.

I see rainbows, candy, and feel soft wet puppy licks on my toes.

He's starting rookies, giving Cribbs and Harrison a chance at being involved in the offense, and he doesn't worship the ground Brady Quinn walks on.... gotta be a horrible coach.

Archived