THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brady Quinn the Biggest Bust EVER?

admin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Couch could be a reach, but a bust?

not so much

thrown into game 2 with a shitty line, leaning receivers (kj & Darren CHeverini) and absolutely no running game, he still only threw what, two more picks than tds?

Remember, the only wins in the "new era" against the Monongahela stains were with TImmy at the helm.......

And his whole line was as bad as the right side of this line.......

To the topic of Quinn

Stan - you are creating a lot of conjecture with little fact

You don't know what may have transpired in the locker room or position meetings

You don't know what Kosar thinks of him, other than Kosar thinks that for Quinn to get a shot, it would have to be with another team.

And I not for drafting him, especially trading back into the 1st round for him. I'm in the camp that Savage would have passed on him, and I give more credence to Lerner telling Savage to pick Quinn once he dropped so far. (If we were to trade away the farm to move up, why not trade away more and try to move up enough to snag AP? Now that would have been daring, gonzo general management.....)

I wouldn't give RAC or Mangini a lot of credibility now. There has been a lot of suckage.

At this point, Quinn could do no worse than the quarterback who is below Jamarcus Russell. (man that's fugly)

My opinion, Quinn may have been a reach, and probably would have been a good pick in the third round, but a bust?

I would only concede that after he moves onto another team and sucks....

In short

BQ sucked against great competition

DA has sucked worse against lesser competition

maby mangooni is angling for Ratcliff.....

Am I allowed to say that this is the most ignorant post from a DA apologist EVER? If I can say that without being banned, there it is, if not, please ignore.

The guy's played a handful of games, and as bad as he's played, since his first start he's been lights out compared to his now-starting and worst QB in the NFL teammate (I'd include all the non-starters in there as well). BQ's not playing because they don't want to blow the salary cap, that doesn't require a brain surgeon or even be an Oregon supporter to see.

But then this post goes on to say big bust EVER - well it must be true if EVER is in all CAPS. Never mind even looking at the same draft where a #1 is likely the biggest bust in a long time. The original post will be amusing to revisit when BQ plays on a non-disfunctional team.

To paraphrase Buckley - I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting that you believe what you just said. But if you do believe it ...

he's had plenty of time and opportunities, try factoring in his time at the facility in the classroom and on the practice field. just because you won't accept what you have seen as pure filth doesn't mean there isn't an entire body of work behind it to cement his undoing. blame management, blame Mangini, blame Daboll's playcalling, hell some even blame DA (lol)...blame everyone but BQ.

you don't know if it's the salary cap or not, and it would be a complete nonfactor if he was moving the ball adequately. padding stats throwing dump offs, taking tons of unnecessary sacks and being unwilling to take calculated risks may result in only a few picks but it also amounts to NO OFFENSE.

speaking of QB apologists...

mmmmmm....Brady's cock...mmmm....tastes...so good...**slobber...lip smack**

sometimes being blunt is the only way people will open their minds and see without the emotional baggage rooted so deeply they are unable to accept what's readily visible.

IMO if Kosar is putting it out there he's prepping fans for the bad news some are going to need baby steps to swallow.

BQ certainly cant be given the title of Biggest Bust, as not had any where near enough time determine how good or bad he is.

Sure his performances in the 2 1/2 games he started this season have been shocking, but you have to look at these and wonder what hell is going on, as looking back at video of his first NFL start against Denver last year before injuring his finger, he looked like a guy who could easily be someone we could put a little hope in to become a good QB for us. Even the last pre-season game this year showed a good sight of what he has got, but as soon as he stepped on field on opening day, it was as if it was a different guy out there playing, and I honestly believe a lot of that was down to the OC play calling aswell as his abysmal play.

So to give up on the Kid just yet is a bit harsh, as I can see this as one that will come back and bite us on the Ass if we let him go.

But with that also in mind I do believe DA is more liked by the players in locker room, so yes It would be better for both these guys were at different teams, just hope the Browns make the right choice which one they keep, if any that is.

he looked anemic out there last year, in the preseason, and was completely ineffective this year although opportunities were there. and fyi, BQ never played in the last preseason game.

personally i feel he had enough time (3 years). i also trust the guys who watch film for countless hours each and every day, who also know what the assignments were and exactly what was asked of him...and also have his entire body of work on film in the pros to use contextually.

This entire forum is turning to sh!t. You're really that desperate to generate posting? No wonder people made another site.

why's it always gotta be about post count? can't a guy just bleed brown and orange and be passionate about what he sees and hears personally? jeez.

i know i often post controversially but if i were him i'd life raft you in a fukking heartbeat. don't even tell us, just go.

It's his third year and he's firmly on the bench behind a guy that continues to have his struggles.

Yes, he is a bust as far as the Cleveland Browns are concerned.

There is no other way to look at it.

Would love to have the draft picks back and just let Anderson play without the controversies the past two seasons.

Anderson may need replaced after this year, may not, but it is clear the Browns don't see Quinn as the guy.

Zombo

I was thinking more along what this person said from sports illustrated. I really think Cleveland needs to re-think it's stratagy when picking a coach.

QUOTE Mangini might be the worst NFL coaching hire ever.

1. Mangini had just been fired in New York, where he had done a terrible job. He had a losing record. His team had collapsed down the stretch, he had alienated his players, he was a pain in the neck to deal with. Point is: He'd already PROVEN how much damage he could do as a coach.

2. He came right out of the school of Bill Belichick ... and that didn't work THE FIRST TIME in Cleveland. It seems to me that Cleveland is a working-class town and Browns fans want a working-class coach -- not some pompous know-it-all who doesn't feel like he should have to explain to the commoners what he's doing.

3. What had he ever done to convince anyone he could be a head coach in the first place? Why, because he was a defensive coordinator for the Patriots under Belichick for one season? The Browns had JUST HIRED Romeo Crennel, who was ALSO defensive coordinator under Belichick. Attention Cleveland Browns owners, here's a good hint: BILL BELICHICK IS HIS OWN DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

4. Basically the first thing Mangini did -- first thing -- was have them tear down a mural of great Cleveland Browns players on the wall in the Browns offices. Now, there are differing opinions about what really happened, whose fault it really was, does it all matter, etc. You know what? The Cleveland Browns have never been to a Super Bowl. Never. Not one. But Browns fans still have a whole lot of pride. Browns fans grow up on a glorious history. If you allow something stupid like that to happen on your watch ... just a horrendous hire.

Link

with all due respect FOS, that article is full of holes and biased.

#1 he had two winning seasons out of three, that's 66% from my perspective, and a WINNING record. looking at 2009 he didn't leave the cupboards empty either.

#2 results speak for themselves and we're only six games in. let's revisit after next year. and to say all people are like legos, interchangeable and completely similar with no tangeables whatsoever expresses extreme naivete by the writer. the town might be blue collar but crennell was blue collar, how'd that work out? the results are what count plain and simple.

#3 more fluff that could be summed up in #'s 1 & 2.

#4 according to everything i've read the mural was old, faded, and deep inside the building where no one but staff could see it. the players depicted weren't readily recognizable by anyone on the team ta boot. while Mangini got guff for painting over it he moved it to the front lobby of the facility, where fans and anyone entering the building could see Browns pride eminating as soon as they entered. while i haven't yet seen it first hand the cases being constructed containing Jim Brown's bronzed shoes and other classic memorabilia sounded like pretty cool stuff to see. sometimes it just takes someone with a fresh perspective to realize this needed done, and his first impression when he walked in was certainly not Browns pride the way it was depicted. to the public you couldn't really even tell it was a Browns facility before. in addition, Mangini organized an evening of film showcasing Browns history for all the rookies with Paul Warfield, Jim Brown, Cribbs, Wimbley (i might be forgetting some too) speaking on behalf of what it means to be a Brown both past and presently. so, whoever wrote that article definitely sounds to me like they had an axe to grind.

I dont think BQ is a bust. I feel that his style perhaps does not suit the team right now, which is the reason they are persisting with DA. However the sudden removal of BQ after the Baltimore game and sticking with DA even after the Buffalo game will surely make people from other team wonder what is soo wrong with BQ that Mangini persists with DA. His trade value has dropped for sure.

1. I can see Quinn winning the qb competition - and that meaning that he isn't a bust.

2. The punch in the nose? I don't know that Quinn is the person he needs to have been

in the locker room.

3. See #2 - I wonder that Quinn is no leader, and is an ego more than a player and qb.

4. I remember Quinn saying something about he DIDN'T NEED Bernie Kosar's tutorage. I swear

I heard that somewhere.

5. It does appear he needs to either grow up, or he has grown up and needs a clean slate somewhere else.

6. I don't expect much in the way of a trade for him, but he wasn't a top ten pick anyways.

7. Right now, I would trade him for a 3rd round pick, and a good future starter RT.

8. But "biggest bust ever" ???? ROF,LMAO. "sniff" The Browns have a well documented history

of far, far bigger busts than Quinn.

8. Right now, the last thing we need the Browns to do, is draft another qb, unless the perfect qb for the Browns

is there. Might not be, I don't know. I'd be happier if we signed a solid veteran FA and fix all the other stuff.

9. It doesn't bother me will all the talk about qb's - it's a major part of the game - but it's nice to not have to read

Shep saying a great qb can make a poor oline a great oline anymore. That DID grate my nerves.... LOL

10. Whatever order, only because it's so early, I would be happy to get a dominant DE, LB, RB, and CB to start next year.

But I will NOT be happy to see DA continue what he's always does. He came into the league a year before Charlie Frye -

and was on BALT's practice squad for good reasons.

bust for a 1st rounder? still controversial. but he wasn't just a 1st rounder...he was a 1st and a 2nd. ouch, and pretty busty.

ego can probably attribute to a lot of his situation in CLE though so when Kosar says a change of scenery could do him good maybe that's why.

He came into the league a year before Charlie Frye -

and was on BALT's practice squad for good reasons.

Anderson and Frye were drafted in the same draft. (Anderson is almost 2 years younger than Frye, Anderson never redshirted in college)

Also, DA was never on the BAL practice squad. He got picked up by CLE during the mandatory 24 hr FA period.

1. BQ hasnt even begun to have a chance, he was getting crap plays called for him with no receivers even lining up.

2. They wont start him till they know for sure he wont get his 70% snap bonus

3. He played 2 top ranked, and still top ranked defenses, DA played crap teams till last week...and we saw what happened there.

4. YEA DA BEAT THE BILLS....he completed 2 passes, our special teams beat the bills not DA.

5. I see BQ starting after the bye week...we shall see.

Well, I did take you back off ignore, Lums. and thanks. I guess that proves you aren't Stan, because

Stan would have called me something nasty... LOL

I don't know where the bleep I ever got my idea that Da was in balt a year before Frye was drafted...

hmm. I can't blame that on the cold/flu I have, because I've only had it two days, and I've been

wrongie-wrongie about this for a long time. Hmm.

In any case, DA has the arm, and Frye had mobility, courage, smarts and better decisions.

The Browns need a qb who can do it all. And, whatever Quinn lacks, it's made him expendable, too.

1. BQ hasnt even begun to have a chance, he was getting crap plays called for him with no receivers even lining up.

2. They wont start him till they know for sure he wont get his 70% snap bonus

3. He played 2 top ranked, and still top ranked defenses, DA played crap teams till last week...and we saw what happened there.

4. YEA DA BEAT THE BILLS....he completed 2 passes, our special teams beat the bills not DA.

5. I see BQ starting after the bye week...we shall see.

I've been thinking the same thing. Give him the reins after the bye week unless DA starts playing well, and we know that ain't going to happen.

FYI John Beck was picked in the 2nd round not too long after Quinn. Beck started 4 games and is now out of football.

Point taken Lums- but Beck was a second rounder. Pretty huge bust- sort of like the Browns Rahim Abdullah. :)

BQ's not playing because they don't want to blow the salary cap, that doesn't require a brain surgeon or even be an Oregon supporter to see.

If Quinn's not starting in 5-6 games, then you are completely wrong about him not playing because of the bonus.

Biggest bust ever? naa, not hardly

Rick Mirer(sp) another domer,not sure he started more than a couple games

Cade McNoun, did he ever start a game ?

Rumor NO LINK

Rob Ryan went to Mangini ,told him that every D coordinator in the league knew how easy it was to defend against Brady, "we can't win with him in there."

McNown, 15 starts.... Mirer, lots of starts (40-60)

Tim Couch should be remembered as the number one bust in browns history. Lucky for him that Ryan Leaf made all the headlines and was a bigger flop in the NFL.

Couch had 11 more TDs and 31 less INT in his two full years at Kentucky than he had in his 5 year NFL career.

Ouch.

Considering he was supposed to be the browns savior and the next coming of Elway, he was much more of a bust.

Nope, FOS- can't remember where I saw the link yesterday, but someone listed the all-time biggest NFL busts (any position) .

Coming in solidly @ #8 was the Browns Mike "Mad Dog in a Meatmarket" Junkin. Have to agree. I'll put Courtney Brown and Gerald Warren ahead of Couch in the lousy returns department.

And in the bad trade department, how's this one for a stinker- the Browns gave up a #1 pick to Buffalo for the rights to Tom Cousineau, who never amounted to more than a hill of beans in the NFL- that pick turned into Jim Kelly.

If Quinn's not starting in 5-6 games, then you are completely wrong about him not playing because of the bonus.

Seeing how Quinn is still on the roster takes the bust lable off the table. As DA continues to play his way out of town, the backup QB sits in wait. The coach has already stated a basic lack of weapons has affected both QB's.

Sitting Quinn for the rest of the season is an unusual bizzare form of damage control, it would be nice to see him back in there after the rookies have gelled a bit.

There has GOT to be a reason 2 head coaches are NOT useing Quinn. Mabey he is a waste. I don't see how you were ready to pull the plug on our head coach after 2 games but still demanded to see Quinn. I want to see us win and I don't think we can with the qb selection we have now!

So, what you are saying is that the Browns would rather use a second high dollar (1st round?) pick on a QB, or buy one off the expensive FA market in order to save on salary cap? How much do you think that would save them next season?

Let's say they draft a QB in the first round next season, one of the top-3 QB's to declare for the draft. How much would that save them in compared to $11-mil?

How about one of the top-3 FA QB's. How much would that gain them in talent and money?

How about a second tier QB in the draft. Would that be of greater or lesser quality than Brady Quinn? And how much money would they save?

I looked over your posts, and dating back to August not a single one has been about anything other than to slam DA and pimp Brady ... yet, here you are calling me a DA apologist.

Do you think Brady Quinn deserves the $11-mil? If you were the GM or Head Coach of the Browns, and weren't the one who gave BQ this contract, would you play him blindly without considering the money? You are not clear, am I just ignorant by not knowing that the Browns are only not playing him because of the money, but that he is actually good and of calibre near that kind of money but maybe just short of being worthy? Or are you saying I'm just dumb to realize he ain't playing because of the money, and it don't matter if he's bad, he isn't the biggest bust EVER?

Or did you just want to really post that I'm a DA apologist, and that's all you just really wanted to say?

My beef with the post is the ridiculous, baiting, title - it is not Admin-worthy. But it is consistent with the "let's put all the QB posts together when DA has a bad game" precedent.

I agree with most of the questions in your original post, and that the situation is bizarre. From the reports I've seen my theory is that since that BQ didn't play well in the first 2.5 games this year and it was clear we were going to be horrible since we have neither a running game nor receivers, that the organization wanted to save the bonus money and they pulled BQ. There are also the rumors (although denied by all involved) that there were words between BQ and the coaches (likely either shortly before or after the BE shoes episode). So now BQ has ticked off the coaches and I think he's sitting regardless of how DA plays (who may set a record for all time worst QB performance in the NFL by a player starting more than half the season).

It's his third year and he's firmly on the bench behind a guy that continues to have his struggles.

Yes, he is a bust as far as the Cleveland Browns are concerned.

There is no other way to look at it.

Would love to have the draft picks back and just let Anderson play without the controversies the past two seasons.

Anderson may need replaced after this year, may not, but it is clear the Browns don't see Quinn as the guy.

Zombo

2 touchdown passes, 6 interception and 2 fumbles lost........You want this guy to play MORE? DA and BQ Suck ass.....Jake Locker please!

You won't see this ADMIN account voice in on many controversial topics. Sure, my general population name of ATENEARS chimes in and stirs the pot all the time. Some have a problem differentiating, but that's their problem.

I'm writing you from the ADMIN account, hoping you will take what I'm asking much more seriously, being that the Admin will now go on record to ask what some of you have got to be thinking.

Crennel acted like the kid practically wasn't even here. Forced to give him a nod only after ownership and fans voiced in and/or as a last resort.

Mangini felt the same pressure upon taking the job, and when Anderson didn't woe anyone in preseason, Mangini felt like getting this ugly thing out of the way early and started Quinn in the opener.

Since then, to say that this kid has been stuck in the corner would assume that he is in the same room. I don't think the kid is even a part of the Cleveland Browns right now ... I know he ain't in the plans.

Kosar's comments this week cemented the thing. It sounds as if Kosar, after only a few days in the building, has already given up on the kid too.

WTF?

Is this kid that bad? I've never known him to be a poor attitude, but it sure seems that way. Look at his body language on the sideline, he might as well not even be dressed, he sure ain't on his headset listening to the plays and hearing, let alone providing any input. He's on a island ... he's a cast-off.

After 6 games is this kid done?

Quit with the whining about not getting an opportunity. You'd have to be a complete hot-headed jackass to not be in the mix here. He's not a hot-head, that we know of, so does that mean that not only is his attitude poor, does he flat out suck in practice? Is he that dumb in the class room, or what?

Mangini ain't stupid, he ain't going to just not play the kid if he could help.

Could Brady Quinn go down as the biggest bust in NFL history? And is he going to?

This ain't a BQ or DA thread, this is about BQ, WTF?

Did anyone even attempt to make a trade for him and his very managable contract?

Wow, you are even a bigger douche bag than i thought. It's no wonder people are leaving this forum. The admin is a DA fluffer and does nothing but make anti-Quinn posts.

2 1/2 games??? And he's looked better than DA.... that is a FACT you cannot deny.

Archived