THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brady Quinn the Biggest Bust EVER?

admin

You won't see this ADMIN account voice in on many controversial topics. Sure, my general population name of ATENEARS chimes in and stirs the pot all the time. Some have a problem differentiating, but that's their problem.

I'm writing you from the ADMIN account, hoping you will take what I'm asking much more seriously, being that the Admin will now go on record to ask what some of you have got to be thinking.

Crennel acted like the kid practically wasn't even here. Forced to give him a nod only after ownership and fans voiced in and/or as a last resort.

Mangini felt the same pressure upon taking the job, and when Anderson didn't woe anyone in preseason, Mangini felt like getting this ugly thing out of the way early and started Quinn in the opener.

Since then, to say that this kid has been stuck in the corner would assume that he is in the same room. I don't think the kid is even a part of the Cleveland Browns right now ... I know he ain't in the plans.

Kosar's comments this week cemented the thing. It sounds as if Kosar, after only a few days in the building, has already given up on the kid too.

WTF?

Is this kid that bad? I've never known him to be a poor attitude, but it sure seems that way. Look at his body language on the sideline, he might as well not even be dressed, he sure ain't on his headset listening to the plays and hearing, let alone providing any input. He's on a island ... he's a cast-off.

After 6 games is this kid done?

Quit with the whining about not getting an opportunity. You'd have to be a complete hot-headed jackass to not be in the mix here. He's not a hot-head, that we know of, so does that mean that not only is his attitude poor, does he flat out suck in practice? Is he that dumb in the class room, or what?

Mangini ain't stupid, he ain't going to just not play the kid if he could help.

Could Brady Quinn go down as the biggest bust in NFL history? And is he going to?

This ain't a BQ or DA thread, this is about BQ, WTF?

Did anyone even attempt to make a trade for him and his very managable contract?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You won't see this ADMIN account voice in on many controversial topics. Sure, my general population name of ATENEARS chimes in and stirs the pot all the time. Some have a problem differentiating, but that's their problem.

I'm writing you from the ADMIN account, hoping you will take what I'm asking much more seriously, being that the Admin will now go on record to ask what some of you have got to be thinking.

Crennel acted like the kid practically wasn't even here. Forced to give him a nod only after ownership and fans voiced in and/or as a last resort.

Mangini felt the same pressure upon taking the job, and when Anderson didn't woe anyone in preseason, Mangini felt like getting this ugly thing out of the way early and started Quinn in the opener.

Since then, to say that this kid has been stuck in the corner would assume that he is in the same room. I don't think the kid is even a part of the Cleveland Browns right now ... I know he ain't in the plans.

Kosar's comments this week cemented the thing. It sounds as if Kosar, after only a few days in the building, has already given up on the kid too.

WTF?

Is this kid that bad? I've never known him to be a poor attitude, but it sure seems that way. Look at his body language on the sideline, he might as well not even be dressed, he sure ain't on his headset listening to the plays and hearing, let alone providing any input. He's on a island ... he's a cast-off.

Quit with the whining about not getting an opportunity. You'd have to be a complete hot-headed jackass to not be in the mix here. He's not a hot-head, that we know of, so does that mean that not only is his attitude poor, does he flat out suck in practice? Is he that dumb in the class room, or what?

Could Brady Quinn go down as the biggest bust in NFL history? And is he going to?

Did anyone even attempt to make a trade for him and his very managable contract?

He wasn't drafted high enough to be the biggest bust ever.

He may get the fewest starts for a 1st round QB pick, thats still to be seen. (I have no idea how many starts that would take)

Or... He may be a hall of famer. I wouldn't make a wager on that though.

I think he is a bust, maybe not the biggest but pretty big. Now when he came out he was much heralded but he did have flaws to his game and they were pointed out repeatedly before the draft which may have attributed to his fall too 22.

Also there is a probability that he just needs a change of scenery which does suck for us, but the team was left in control of two incompetent buffoons who did damage that Mangini has had to waste time on fixing. There is truly not a lot of talent that is ready to step up, now don't confuse that with there being no talent. I believe that there is a lot of very young talent on this team and just needs some playing time.

Good post. It's a mystery to me. I'm trying to recall another #1 pick QB who got less of a chance than BQ, especially given that his backup is a journeyman at best and the team is going nowhere this year. Someone who said he has connections to the team told me that mgmt soured on BQ because the team wasn't behind him (i.e. questions about his leadership).

I never sensed Mangini was behind BQ, but he knew he couldn't go into the season with him on the bench i.e. a #1 in year 3 behind a QB who the city has soured on as a player. The fans would've been merciless from the start. Then BQ gets a the hook after 2 1/2 games and we don't see him back after DA throws 3 picks in a blowout. That just cements the idea that Mangini never wanted him in there from the start.

I agree with you that they must see him SO negatively that they just don't need to see any more. The whole situation is strange. As you noted, Mangini is no fool, and he has to see how awful DA has been, and yet still no BQ... That speaks to a colossal souring on BQ. Every fan I know is wondering what's behind it.

WTF?

Am I allowed to say that this is the most ignorant post from a DA apologist EVER? If I can say that without being banned, there it is, if not, please ignore.

The guy's played a handful of games, and as bad as he's played, since his first start he's been lights out compared to his now-starting and worst QB in the NFL teammate (I'd include all the non-starters in there as well). BQ's not playing because they don't want to blow the salary cap, that doesn't require a brain surgeon or even be an Oregon supporter to see.

But then this post goes on to say big bust EVER - well it must be true if EVER is in all CAPS. Never mind even looking at the same draft where a #1 is likely the biggest bust in a long time. The original post will be amusing to revisit when BQ plays on a non-disfunctional team.

To paraphrase Buckley - I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting that you believe what you just said. But if you do believe it ...

Am I allowed to say that this is the most ignorant post from a DA apologist EVER? If I can say that without being banned, there it is, if not, please ignore.

The guy's played a handful of games, and as bad as he's played, since his first start he's been lights out compared to his now-starting and worst QB in the NFL teammate (I'd include all the non-starters in there as well). BQ's not playing because they don't want to blow the salary cap, that doesn't require a brain surgeon or even be an Oregon supporter to see.

But then this post goes on to say big bust EVER - well it must be true if EVER is in all CAPS. Never mind even looking at the same draft where a #1 is likely the biggest bust in a long time. The original post will be amusing to revisit when BQ plays on a non-disfunctional team.

To paraphrase Buckley - I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting that you believe what you just said. But if you do believe it ...

I think you're overreacting. I agree w/you that BQ should be playing... I've seen enough of DA. I also agree with you that the title of the post is hyperbole. However, I think admin raises some good points... Why isn't Quinn playing? It's easy for a Quinn hater to say "because he stinks." However, lots of young quarterbacks have stunk (Boller, anyone?), and they still play. Something has really soured Mangini on Quinn for him and the org to give up on him so quickly, particularly after DA proves again and again that he isn't a starting NFL QB. I don't think it's sensible to chalk it up to "Mangini is stupid" or "Mangini has it out for BQ."

If Kosar says BQ is done, he's toast. The only way BQ sees the field is if DA gets hurt.

We won't know the true answer to that (I.E. is BQ the biggest qb bust ever?) for a few years yet. BTW, Stan is being really objective, and is sure as hell is not pro-DA in this post.

Too easy to pick on the Bungles- I'm going to go back 10 years or more, and list the busts (or potential) qb busts.

Todd Marijinovitch, Jim Druckenmiller, David Kingler, Jack Thompson, Akilli Smith, Jeff George, oh hell- to be fair- Tim Couch

#1 Ryan Leaf- arguably the worst qb bust in recent NFL history. Cade McNoun,, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwitch, Kyle Boller, Alex Smith, Vince Young?, Matt Leinart?, Jamarcus Russell?

What's the common denominator here? THEY ALL GOT MORE THAN SIX STARTS.

Dear Mr. Mangini- you think BQ sucks worse than Joey Harrington? REALLY? You think he sucks worse than the #36 rated passer in the NFL? REALLY?

Only time will tell- Mangini is either Bill Belichek Jr, or Phil Savage Jr. For his sake, I hope it's the former.

BQ certainly cant be given the title of Biggest Bust, as not had any where near enough time determine how good or bad he is.

Sure his performances in the 2 1/2 games he started this season have been shocking, but you have to look at these and wonder what hell is going on, as looking back at video of his first NFL start against Denver last year before injuring his finger, he looked like a guy who could easily be someone we could put a little hope in to become a good QB for us. Even the last pre-season game this year showed a good sight of what he has got, but as soon as he stepped on field on opening day, it was as if it was a different guy out there playing, and I honestly believe a lot of that was down to the OC play calling aswell as his abysmal play.

So to give up on the Kid just yet is a bit harsh, as I can see this as one that will come back and bite us on the Ass if we let him go.

But with that also in mind I do believe DA is more liked by the players in locker room, so yes It would be better for both these guys were at different teams, just hope the Browns make the right choice which one they keep, if any that is.

WTF?

This entire forum is turning to sh!t. You're really that desperate to generate posting? No wonder people made another site.

As a Browns player, Brady Quinn is only a bust if Mangini keeps being a stubborn idiot. Otherwise when Quinn does leave he will more than likely end up starting for another team.

Mangini's decision making is reckless and does not seem team oriented. He seems to have an ego that is getting in the way of coaching. I'm not just talking about his creating a QB controversy either. Mangini IS being stupid.

Biggest bust ever? naa, not hardly

Rick Mirer(sp) another domer,not sure he started more than a couple games

Cade McNoun, did he ever start a game ?

Rumor NO LINK

Rob Ryan went to Mangini ,told him that every D coordinator in the league knew how easy it was to defend against Brady, "we can't win with him in there."

He can't be the biggest bust ever, the same draft had Dalardass Bustell as the #1 pick. So he isn't even the biggest bust of that draft. I may be some sort of conspiracy theorist for thinking this, but I believe this all has to do with his contract escalators. To me, it looks like he had bad play calling, and a bad slew of players on the field with him to make him look bad. That way people will want DA in the game. Now, once people get sick of DA and start asking for Quinn again it should have been later in the year so that he will not get the 70% of snaps, or whatever stupid number they came up with for his bonus. The problem is that DA is proving to be the worst passer in the league. I expect to see Quinn back in the game around week 10 or so. As for Kosar not being sure on him. The only thing Kosar is sure of is that he is going to get nice and sloshed tonight.

It may be popular to complain about a recurrent topic but to me it's just annoying. If you don't like the topic, skip over it. If you think there's a better topic, start it. Otherwise, IMHO, quitcherbitchin. Really. It's not what I consider a "contribution" to the conversation.

So, what you are saying is that the Browns would rather use a second high dollar (1st round?) pick on a QB, or buy one off the expensive FA market in order to save on salary cap? How much do you think that would save them next season?

Let's say they draft a QB in the first round next season, one of the top-3 QB's to declare for the draft. How much would that save them in compared to $11-mil?

How about one of the top-3 FA QB's. How much would that gain them in talent and money?

How about a second tier QB in the draft. Would that be of greater or lesser quality than Brady Quinn? And how much money would they save?

I looked over your posts, and dating back to August not a single one has been about anything other than to slam DA and pimp Brady ... yet, here you are calling me a DA apologist.

Do you think Brady Quinn deserves the $11-mil? If you were the GM or Head Coach of the Browns, and weren't the one who gave BQ this contract, would you play him blindly without considering the money? You are not clear, am I just ignorant by not knowing that the Browns are only not playing him because of the money, but that he is actually good and of calibre near that kind of money but maybe just short of being worthy? Or are you saying I'm just dumb to realize he ain't playing because of the money, and it don't matter if he's bad, he isn't the biggest bust EVER?

Or did you just want to really post that I'm a DA apologist, and that's all you just really wanted to say?

If Kosar says BQ is done, he's toast. The only way BQ sees the field is if DA gets hurt.

Yeah, I think the Kosar endorsement (or the lack of) is what prompted this thread. I mean, Bernie didn't even give it a week. Which leads me to imagine something bizaar like Kosar came to his first QB meeting with the OC, QB-coach, all the QB's on staff, and Brady Quinn wouldn't enter the room, stood out in the hall with arms folded pouting saying, "Why should I come in, you guys don't give me a chance anyway"

What else could it be short of that?

I would think that if Brady rolled up his shirt sleeves and dug into the game planning, and showed even a remote interest to work on things or give Mr. Kosar the respect he deserves as a proven professional in his field, that Bernie would be more than willing to bend over backwards to help the kid - even taking him under his wing on a 1,2 or 3 year project. The kid is under contract.

bqbk.jpg

Here Brady has a chance to work with Bernie Kosar who was a legend here when he was a toddler. He knows who the guy is, and he's here to work with him ... with all that history, I'm shocked the realtionshio never even got off the ground.

WTF happened in the meeting between Kosar & Quinn?

BQ certainly cant be given the title of Biggest Bust, as not had any where near enough time determine how good or bad he is.

Sure his performances in the 2 1/2 games he started this season have been shocking, but you have to look at these and wonder what hell is going on, as looking back at video of his first NFL start against Denver last year before injuring his finger, he looked like a guy who could easily be someone we could put a little hope in to become a good QB for us. Even the last pre-season game this year showed a good sight of what he has got, but as soon as he stepped on field on opening day, it was as if it was a different guy out there playing, and I honestly believe a lot of that was down to the OC play calling aswell as his abysmal play.

So to give up on the Kid just yet is a bit harsh, as I can see this as one that will come back and bite us on the Ass if we let him go.

But with that also in mind I do believe DA is more liked by the players in locker room, so yes It would be better for both these guys were at different teams, just hope the Browns make the right choice which one they keep, if any that is.

That's a good point. Is it that DA had won the locker room over and Brady just feels uncomfortable and like an out-sider. Bad blood has been spilled enough that there is nothing on the table anymore to begin to work with.

Good point. If so, I'd blame coaching there, or maybe DA is that big of an asshole that he buried the kid.

Quinn seems like a good hearted person to me. I don't see anything wrong with the guys personality, except maybe he has a big ego, but why would you want anything different in your young QB?

Again, a relationship with Kosar couldn't have helped this cause. To have that never lift off the ground is a telling sign that this Quinn experiment is over.

Just strictly from a NFL historical perspective, no, there have been bigger. From a Browns perspective, possibly so. Not so much due to play, as bad play is bad play, but i can't recall a Browns player ever quitting so soon.

In looking back, many things point to Quinn not being very good, though in fairness, hindsight is the only way to really see clearly.

First, what did BQ do in college?? He had a decent career, but his biggest achievement was earning the Chuck Weiss seal of approval. I guess my question now would be is Chuck's seal as shiny today as it was when he was hyped as the savior of ND football??

The draft was another troubling sign. After receiving approval from the great Chuck Weiss, BQ was hyped as a top candidate, yet on draft day who can forget the sight of Quinn sitting there with high expectations before a selection was announced to watching at first mild disappointment to finally looking panicked and being led away from the camera's view.

Finally he was saved by the Cleveland Browns led by the media hungry, self serving boy wonder Phil Savage. In Phil's tenure as GM of the Brown's Phil was all about the hype and little on substance. In Quinn he got his local rock star. The local kid who always wanted to be a Cleveland Brown, and the looks, and the Chuck Weiss seal...perfect pick for the perfect GM. Too bad Phil didn't spend a little more time wondering why other GMs decided to pass on Brady and put their fortunes in other players hands. I am sure there was little doubt in Phil's mind that he had the inside track and the others didn't know what they were doing, while year after year Phil got fleeced by these dumb ass GM's who couldn't know more than he.

The signs were there, and a few actually took the time to notice.

History tells the tale.

The thing about today's NFL is there isn't a lot of time to show what you're made of.......They do not give anyone time to develop. If you're not ready out of college or after the 1,2,3 years you sat watching on the sideline, you might as well retire or make a career out of being a back-up. Quinn may yet get a chance to play, but it looks like it wont be in Cleveland.

Biggest bust ever? Not even close, hell, he's not even close to Couch for that title.

I don't understand why you are not more concerned about your coach being the biggest bust ever.

That's another good point. Mangini has played the rookies in Mack, MoMass, Robiskie and we are only in Week #6, hell he played and started Quinn himself the first three games.

Mangini ain't like Crennel and just refused to play the younger talent. He's playing them. In fact, you could even say that he is getting rid of the semi-star talent in order to play them.

I was thinking more along what this person said from sports illustrated. I really think Cleveland needs to re-think it's stratagy when picking a coach.

Mangini might be the worst NFL coaching hire ever.

1. Mangini had just been fired in New York, where he had done a terrible job. He had a losing record. His team had collapsed down the stretch, he had alienated his players, he was a pain in the neck to deal with. Point is: He'd already PROVEN how much damage he could do as a coach.

2. He came right out of the school of Bill Belichick ... and that didn't work THE FIRST TIME in Cleveland. It seems to me that Cleveland is a working-class town and Browns fans want a working-class coach -- not some pompous know-it-all who doesn't feel like he should have to explain to the commoners what he's doing.

3. What had he ever done to convince anyone he could be a head coach in the first place? Why, because he was a defensive coordinator for the Patriots under Belichick for one season? The Browns had JUST HIRED Romeo Crennel, who was ALSO defensive coordinator under Belichick. Attention Cleveland Browns owners, here's a good hint: BILL BELICHICK IS HIS OWN DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

4. Basically the first thing Mangini did -- first thing -- was have them tear down a mural of great Cleveland Browns players on the wall in the Browns offices. Now, there are differing opinions about what really happened, whose fault it really was, does it all matter, etc. You know what? The Cleveland Browns have never been to a Super Bowl. Never. Not one. But Browns fans still have a whole lot of pride. Browns fans grow up on a glorious history. If you allow something stupid like that to happen on your watch ... just a horrendous hire.

Link

So Brady Quinn hasn't been able to shine here for the past three seasons because Mangini has been the coach for the past six games, three of which Quinn started?

I could see someone believing every word of the SI article, but please explain how that transpires into real time, what's happened since the opening game snap of 2009?

Good thread and some good posts. IMO he will be nowhere near the biggest bust ever. My guess is that he lands somewhere else, sits a couple years and ends up as a poor man's Vinny Testaverde. As to what's happened to him, I have always wondered about his bodybuilding and the effect on his throwing motion and touch. Look at those arms of his, they are like tree trunks and must be screwing up the way he has thrown the football all his life. It seems that someone on the Condon marketing team got hold of him and said "we'll make a fortune in advertising if you get ripped". At the same time, if he had anywhere near the talent that we (most of us) thought he would be playing right now given the competition. So, not the biggest bust but a case study in mismanagement and bad decisions on his part, combined with Savage once again whiffing on a QB.

Big disappointment - especially to ND and Browns' fans - but not even in the ballpark of biggest draft busts of all time.

I'm not sure that anybody drafted where he was draft can conceivably considered to fit the 'biggest bust' space.

Arguably, Couch, Big Money, and your man - Courtney Brown - were bigger busts, given the nature of the team and the position in the draft they were taken.

Stan, really. Quinn was not playing the first season because of his holdout. Then you are talking about a coach or coaches that tried to rely on Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson and both sucked bad. Quinn has been on the bench because of poor decision making from the coaching staff. If they did not like him they should have picked up one free agent QBs around the league. Any way you look at this it is poor coaching... unless you want to drink the koolaid or just be a homer.

As far as ballpeen asking "what has BQ ever done in college" ...

36 Fighting Irish records during his four seasons with the team.

He has the record for career pass attempts with 1,602, completions with 929, yards-per-game with 239.6, touchdown passes with 95, and the lowest interception percentage with 2.43.

He ranks in the top ten in NCAA Division I history in career pass attempts (7th), passing yards (10th) and touchdown passes (9th)

He was awarded the Sammy Baugh Trophy as the nation's top passer of the 2005 season.

Ballpeen should be asking, "what did Derek Anderson ever do in college" He was not drafted until the 6th round for a reason and he sure as hell never looked like much of a QB except for about 6 games.

Tim Couch should be remembered as the number one bust in browns history. Lucky for him that Ryan Leaf made all the headlines and was a bigger flop in the NFL.

Couch had 11 more TDs and 31 less INT in his two full years at Kentucky than he had in his 5 year NFL career.

Ouch.

Considering he was supposed to be the browns savior and the next coming of Elway, he was much more of a bust.

Tim Couch should be remembered as the number one bust in browns history. Lucky for him that Ryan Leaf made all the headlines and was a bigger flop in the NFL.

Couch had 11 more TDs and 31 less INT in his two full years at Kentucky than he had in his 5 year NFL career.

Ouch.

Considering he was supposed to be the browns savior and the next coming of Elway, he was much more of a bust.

i hate agreeing with you... i hate even more when you make a good point.

Archived