THE BROWNS BOARD

Some observations

NW Ohio Brownie

Let's start with the negatives:

1) Our corners are definitely finesse. This is troubling for many reasons, starting with not being able to disrupt the timing between the QB/receiver. Plus, neither McDonald or Wright look particularly enthused about stepping up on run plays.

2) We have no enforcers at safety. Too many times, and not just today, receivers run freely over the middle with absolutely no fear about someone coming after them. This, to me, is our biggest hole on the defense. A play-making enforcer back there would change the entire complexion of what we do with our pass rush and coverage schemes.

3) John St. Clair was brutal on blitz pick-ups today. I saw three different times where he blocked inside to help Womack (unnecessarily so) instead of peeling off and picking up the outside blitzer. Twice DA was sacked on it and fumbled once.

4) Our playcalling after we closed the score to 17-14. We were in the game and then Daboll chose to try to pound Lewis a little too much. You've got to throw more than run on first down against Pittsburgh if you want 2nd/3rd and manageable.

Now with some positives:

1) This team competed right from the start today. The defense created some turnovers today when it looked like Pittsburgh was getting ready to deliver the knockout blow.

2) Very few penalties yet again. The holding call on Thomas was BS. One false start was all we had. Again, Mangini is establishing some discipline.

3) Robiskie and Massaquoi were getting open today. The more we see Massaquoi the more you should like. This kid runs good routes and can stretch the defense. Robiskie also showed some potential today.

4) Josh Cribbs in the WildDawg. I hope we run this more as the season wears on. I hope they didn't just phase it in for today. The only thing I think should change out of it is to get Anderson out while we run it. No one is going to respect Anderson's presence on the field when we line up in this formation.

Let's hope the Browns can continue to compete. If so, good things and wins will happen.

1) Our corners are definitely finesse. This is troubling for many reasons, starting with not being able to disrupt the timing between the QB/receiver. Plus, neither McDonald or Wright look particularly enthused about stepping up on run plays.

2) We have no enforcers at safety. Too many times, and not just today, receivers run freely over the middle with absolutely no fear about someone coming after them. This, to me, is our biggest hole on the defense. A play-making enforcer back there would change the entire complexion of what we do with our pass rush and coverage schemes.

3) John St. Clair was brutal on blitz pick-ups today. I saw three different times where he blocked inside to help Womack (unnecessarily so) instead of peeling off and picking up the outside blitzer. Twice DA was sacked on it and fumbled once.

4) Our playcalling after we closed the score to 17-14. We were in the game and then Daboll chose to try to pound Lewis a little too much. You've got to throw more than run on first down against Pittsburgh if you want 2nd/3rd and manageable.

Now with some positives:

1) This team competed right from the start today. The defense created some turnovers today when it looked like Pittsburgh was getting ready to deliver the knockout blow.

2) Very few penalties yet again. The holding call on Thomas was BS. One false start was all we had. Again, Mangini is establishing some discipline.

3) Robiskie and Massaquoi were getting open today. The more we see Massaquoi the more you should like. This kid runs good routes and can stretch the defense. Robiskie also showed some potential today.

4) Josh Cribbs in the WildDawg. I hope we run this more as the season wears on. I hope they didn't just phase it in for today. The only thing I think should change out of it is to get Anderson out while we run it. No one is going to respect Anderson's presence on the field when we line up in this formation.

Let's hope the Browns can continue to compete. If so, good things and wins will happen.

Excellent post. I continue to like the defense development even though there are obvious holes.

The team does seem to continue to play with energy even when things don't go their way.

I like what I see from the young receivers so far but I want to see players who have something more than 'potential." Potential doesn't get you anywhere until it's realized.

I had a feeling this game wasn't quite as easy as the Steelers thought it would be.

Excellent post. I continue to like the defense development even though there are obvious holes.

The team does seem to continue to play with energy even when things don't go their way.

I like what I see from the young receivers so far but I want to see players who have something more than 'potential." Potential doesn't get you anywhere until it's realized.

I had a feeling this game wasn't quite as easy as the Steelers thought it would be.

Please, the Browns d gave up 500 yards offense.

It was worse. Alot of times, yardage doesn't=points in the pros, unlike college. It was that bad. Don't sugercoat the lack of talent.

I have no illusions about this team. It's terrible. Since there's not much to cheer about, I'm just looking for any small way to enjoy watching the team. It was less painful to watch than I expected.

CORNER BACKS (McDonald) I ran out to the bar during the first quarter, 5min trip and listened to the radio on the way. They were reporting that McDonald came out with a hurt shoulder, they removed his shoulder pads and strapped a padding (kotek?) on his shoulder, put his shoulder pads back on and sent him back out there. Following was the biggest display of pussy play I think I may have ever seen from an NFL player.

SAFETIES: Do you watch them drop off the ball prior to the snap? They drop approx 18+yards off the ball and out of the picture. When the camera pans that direction on pass plays, I'm thinking we are gonna see them backed up against the goal post with their laegs still churning.

John St. Clair - Actually I seen him pull that direction by design, leaving harrison 9our worst blocking back) left to take on a OLB coming unabated. Why was Wohmack Iin? What happened to Fraley and why did Hadnot come in and then go back out?

<<<< 4) Our playcalling after we closed the score to 17-14. We were in the game and then Daboll chose to try to pound Lewis a little too much. You've got to throw more than run on first down against Pittsburgh if you want 2nd/3rd and manageable. >>>

AGREED

Now with some positives:

DEFENSES - This should not be here in the 'positive' section. The D couldn't make a stop to get off the field. Turn-overs? More like give-a-ways and lucky finds, they didn't cause them. They get a D- in my book ... very disappointed in the scheme (rushing 3? WTF!), and piss poor tackling and scared coverage.

PENALITIES - agreed good discipline. T thought the holding call on Thomas was very legit.

<<< Robiskie and Massaquoi were getting open today. >>> I disagree, very disappointed in both of them Too many drops by MoMass and Robo should have gotten his feet down and in-bounds. They are very shaky.

<<<< 4) Josh Cribbs in the WildDawg. I hope we run this more as the season wears on. I hope they didn't just phase it in for today. The only thing I think should change out of it is to get Anderson out while we run it. No one is going to respect Anderson's presence on the field when we line up in this formation.>>>>

I like it, but we went to the well too many times by having his pass it. I think we should have had him throw one at a different depth, like deep.

Good Topic, thanks!

- Pay Josh Cribbs already!!! The guy has us on the 35 yard line MOST of the time... if not he breaks it all the way. He gives us the only chance, he puts fear in other teams when he is on the field.

- Play Josh Cribbs at RB. Forget the WR stuff, let him see the field and put him back there with old slow Lewis.

- Better game plan by the coaches this week on offense. Not great, but better.

- The team is improving and they are trying.

- Now the Bad... NO ONE Can Catch the ball!

Guest 88fingerslewy

How about Joe Thomas.

Harrison was getting ridden by JT all the way around the pocket to where St. Clair was. He had no sacks. The pressures he got were from stunts when JT was locked onto someone else.

JT's intial jam is like a steam launch on an aircraft-carrier and has hall of fame feet. So lets see who he's had. Jared Allen....no sacks. Odom....no sacks. Harrison....no sacks. Now that's a positive. He's been the most consistant player since he got here 3 yrs ago.

- Pay Josh Cribbs already!!! The guy has us on the 35 yard line MOST of the time... if not he breaks it all the way. He gives us the only chance, he puts fear in other teams when he is on the field.

- Play Josh Cribbs at RB. Forget the WR stuff, let him see the field and put him back there with old slow Lewis.

- Now the Bad... NO ONE Can Catch the ball!

Right- what are they waiting for to reward Cribbs? The Steelers were so afraid of him braking another return, they started pooching the kickoffs.

BTW, the Steelers are far from an elite offense, yet they racked up 500+ yards on us. Any improvement on defense is illusory.

YES ! Joe Thomas was/is outstanding.

But don't forget Mack - handling the steeler nt? priceless.

But this...

<<< Robiskie and Massaquoi were getting open today. >>> I disagree, very disappointed in both of them Too many drops by MoMass and Robo should have gotten his feet down and in-bounds. They are very shaky. ATE

DA sucked in throwing to Mass and he still caught it on his knees. DA threw the ball to the target too late. Massa

got hit after he caught it, instead of having a decent pass in time, where he could have made a play yac.

Robiskie could NOT have come down in bounds, DA threw the pass too far past the sideline. It was all Rob could do to

stretch as far as he could, and nearly STILL kept his feet inbounds.

DA still threw ints, stupid ints, threw into the dirt, threw 10 yards too high, stumblybumblied on his feet, fumbled the ball,

stared down his receivers, got at least one pass batted, ... and threw so hard on 5 yd short routes that even the Pitt announcers

wondered what the hell he was doing it for

give it up, Stan. DA stunk up the joint. He did actually throw to Lewis, who should have caught it, though it was too hard still,

and accidently threw a nice little touch pass to Vickers for the TD. Too little, too late, too rarely. I'd love to have the Eagles' third string qb.

Nope. There never was anybody at all.

In fact, the deer stand facing our woods in that far corner, about 25 yards out in the back corn field,

has been taken down.

I have a hunch a conversation was made with the property owner or something.

I was all over our woods, 14 acres, and the neighbor's woods (I watch his land too), 16 acres...

just two deer sneaking through the woods behind me, and three squirrels, and some loud crows.

In fact, I was sitting about 8:30 am, at the base of a great oak, and thought he was sneaking up on me,

to send that arrow at me. But that was when I turned and saw the deer.

At certain places, I'm a pretty good target from outside our woods...

In fact, if DA keeps embarrassing the fans like he is, maybe next Sunday I'll go way out there, put a blindfold on,

and make myself be lost in the woods so I don't have to watch him.

YES ! Joe Thomas was/is outstanding.

But don't forget Mack - handling the steeler nt? priceless.

But this...

<<< Robiskie and Massaquoi were getting open today. >>> I disagree, very disappointed in both of them Too many drops by MoMass and Robo should have gotten his feet down and in-bounds. They are very shaky. ATE

DA sucked in throwing to Mass and he still caught it on his knees. DA threw the ball to the target too late. Massa

got hit after he caught it, instead of having a decent pass in time, where he could have made a play yac.

Robiskie could NOT have come down in bounds, DA threw the pass too far past the sideline. It was all Rob could do to

stretch as far as he could, and nearly STILL kept his feet inbounds.

DA still threw ints, stupid ints, threw into the dirt, threw 10 yards too high, stumblybumblied on his feet, fumbled the ball,

stared down his receivers, got at least one pass batted, ... and threw so hard on 5 yd short routes that even the Pitt announcers

wondered what the hell he was doing it for

give it up, Stan. DA stunk up the joint. He did actually throw to Lewis, who should have caught it, though it was too hard still,

and accidentally threw a nice little touch pass to Vickers for the TD. Too little, too late, too rarely. I'd love to have the Eagles' third string qb.

Here's the good. Watched a bunch of the Directv Superfan shortcuts, and the Browns are definitely not the worst team in the NFL. Incidentally DA isn't even the worst starting qb in the NFL- that would be Tampa Bay's.

Cal has some good points- I'll add Anderson saw an all out blitz coming, and was clueless how to react. DA blows. I watched the entire Saints- Giants game, and I'll add in this observation- compared to Brees and Manning, DA's major flaw is he has no sense of timing. LOL, I'd trade Anderson to the Giants for Carr in a heartbeat.

How about Joe Thomas.

Harrison was getting ridden by JT all the way around the pocket to where St. Clair was. He had no sacks. The pressures he got were from stunts when JT was locked onto someone else.

JT's intial jam is like a steam launch on an aircraft-carrier and has hall of fame feet. So lets see who he's had. Jared Allen....no sacks. Odom....no sacks. Harrison....no sacks. Now that's a positive. He's been the most consistant player since he got here 3 yrs ago.

Good point. JT was very good yesterday.

Some nice observations.

I agree on McDonald. I think he is pretty good at coverage, but his tackling is like Deion Sanders...too bad for McDonald Sanders brought so much to his team he could get away with arm tackles.

I agree on Harrison..if we are going to use him to pick up a blitz we might as well see if putting a red jersey on the qb fakes out the defenders and they don't touch him.

Lewis is done.

I agree on Cribbs...we need to run more WildDawg and even though he threw the pick, we need to work more passing plays in to the mix when he is at qb...some true pass/run options off the roll out. I would start working that this week.

Playing him in that role is like turning a qb in to a extra O-lineman. Seems to me we can use as many offensive linemen on the field as possible.

Call it a gimmick if you want. I don't care what it is if it moves the ball.

That is the object of offensive football, is it not?

Archived