THE BROWNS BOARD

Dropped passes

dawg08

DA stunk up the joint. FACT.

If DA throws one of his 5-10 yd CANNONBALLS,

he could hit a mature rhinocerous in the forehead, and knock it out.

He is unathletic, CHOKES under most any pressure, and makes really

simple things look impossible, like looking off receivers instead of staring them down,

and moving feet to avoid a sack.

Da couldn't avoid a slow motion wheelbarrow loaded with a lb of gravel.

Just because DA didn't throw TEN anderceptions, doesn't mean he played a good game. :mad:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on board the receivers have to do a better job holding onto the ball- I'd hope you guys are on board that Anderson needs to be sat down, he's as big a part of the problem. If not Quinn, put in Ratliff.

Normally I would agree. The fact he is playing says to me that BQ said or did something above and beyond the shoes that will keep him on the bench.

I don't see Quinn anywhere on the sidelines. What happened to the back-up being up near the coach and starter....listening in to calls, talking to the other qb...I mean the guy is one snap away from being the starter. Seems he needs to have his head in the game.

That doesn't mean he isn't in the game, but it sure doesn't look like it to these seasoned eyes.

Maybe there was more of that then noticed.

I will be at Sundays Packer game with binoculars in hand. I am going to spend a good deal of time scanning the sidelines to watch for that and how the players are grouping in general.

That is if BQ is still on the team come Sunday.

I get the feeling BQ is the 3rd qb on this team with Cribbs the 2nd option if something happend to Anderson.

Oh, I'm with you on (trying) to be patient with this team, and agree I think we are heading forward. What I can't agree with is an excuse of ANY receiver, rookie or veteran, dropping balls that hit them between the numbers. I can excuse the learning curve of adjusting to and reading defenses, and learning routes, technique, etc... Catching the ball? Nope, won't allot them that.

With that statement you would have hated and wanted to get rid of Jerry Rice his first year in the league, if he were a Brown or you were a 49er fan.

I have never before in my life seen so many dropped passes. On top of that, I have never before in my life heard so many people say the QB throws too hard. People, watch any other game. QBs throw hard and thats why they are in the NFL. They do it on short passes too. It is the recievers' job to catch the ball. Every other team in the league seems to field guys who can catch it when the ball is thrown hard and nobody says "What a great catch! That was hard because it was so fast!" they don't say that because the WRs are supposed to catch it regardless of how hard its thrown and the QB's job is to get it there in a hurry. The sooner it gets there the better in all situations. And just because a reciever may have to turn his hips slightly to make a grab, doesn't make it a bad or uncatchable ball. That's part of the game and our WRs' are not living up to their end of the bargain. DA does throw an occasional inaccurate throw but every QB in the league does. But because DA was a 6th round pick, it gets blown up into a major deal. I think people miss the impact a dropped ball has on a team. It kills the QB's faith and confidence, it kills drives, it kills momentum, and it shifts momentum over to the other team. This all happens as soon as the ball hits the ground. And when it happens more than once, it ultimately kills your chances of winning. Unacceptable on every level. A drop is a drop is a drop. That's why its a recordable stat. There is no stat that tells us when a QB could have thrown it an inch to the left. Hindsite is 20/20 and if these guys were catching these balls that they should be catching, nobody would be saying "good catch" or "bad throw he's lucky he caught it" because they should be caught. It's when the ball hits the dirt and people look for explanations as to why that they start saying the QB could throw a better ball. DA did just about everything he could do to keep us in that game. The team is bad.

"Now I'm Done"

The receivers were subpar, but c'mon people. There were some that you want your receivers to catch, but there was only one Edwards-esque "hit him in the bread basket" drop. The rest were poor throws that you hope your receiver makes a good catch on. Derek's problem is and always will be that he not only throws hard, but that he simultaneously never ever properly leads his receiver on crossing routes. Everything is back shoulder or shoe top on crossing routes, and then you add the multiplier for degree of difficulty with these passes being thrown at high velocity.

No matter how much you macho men gripe about guys being paid to make these catches and they shouldn't be in the pros if they cannot, there IS such a thing as throwing too hard. It is such a recognized thing in sports that there is a specific term for it - "handcuffing." You throw the ball a little too hard and a little off target to a receiver that is only a few yards away and the receiver doesn't have time to move his hands.

The receivers were subpar, but c'mon people. There were some that you want your receivers to catch, but there was only one Edwards-esque "hit him in the bread basket" drop. The rest were poor throws that you hope your receiver makes a good catch on. Derek's problem is and always will be that he not only throws hard, but that he simultaneously never ever properly leads his receiver on crossing routes. Everything is back shoulder or shoe top on crossing routes, and then you add the multiplier for degree of difficulty with these passes being thrown at high velocity.

No matter how much you macho men gripe about guys being paid to make these catches and they shouldn't be in the pros if they cannot, there IS such a thing as throwing too hard. It is such a recognized thing in sports that there is a specific term for it - "handcuffing." You throw the ball a little too hard and a little off target to a receiver that is only a few yards away and the receiver doesn't have time to move his hands.

I have said this before & will continue...the common denominator is DA! Once again, add to the above that his "fastball" is on a downward trajectory from the time it leaves his hand, & you have dropped & batted down balls. One other item...If DA rolls left, he should run or "eat" the ball...that is a tough throw for anyone & he just CANNOT make it.

Mike

Archived