THE BROWNS BOARD

The Offseason

CIMO.

Not looking good so far.

John Farrell takes his name out of consideration for manager.

Four of our top players (Sizemore, LaPorta, Chris Perez and Asdrubal) go under the knife.

LaPorta sidelined 4-6 months and questionable for the start of spring training.

Hopefully some good news shows up soon (and no, I don't consider CC dominating good news)....but as long as Travis Hafner, Jake Westbrook and Kerry Wood are our highest paid players, I don't think it will be a very happy offseason.

Somewhere in between, I think.

He's young, has experience, has dealt with a young team/pitching staff, and uses the new wave stats. Shapiro said he's looking for someone Wedge-like, but I can't imagine Acta putting our 3rd string catcher in Right Field.

At the same time, he hasn't actually WON with his young team. But we (should) have much more talent than Washington, so I'm not writing him off. And obviously there aren't a lot of winning managers looking for a job.

I can't imagine the masses being excited over the manager we end up getting unless it's one of the guys who played for us in the 90s. But expectations of getting the next Joe Girardi are pretty ridiculous. I'm fine with someone like Acta.

I think it's good. I'd still love Valentine to run this ship but Acta may actually make more sense. He sure as hell says all the right things and the W/L record (given the talent he had to work with) doesn't concern me.

One negative suggested by his former players is that he's not a "tough" manager:

"There were situations where it was like, 'Oh man, I hope Manny says something.' And it never got said," said one player, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "If one person steps out and is not reprimanded, eventually everybody is saying, 'Is it okay to do that or what?' We kind of police ourselves, but at the same time we're trying to build with each other. We just wanted him to say something one time to reaffirm everything."

Acta believed that players didn't generally respond well to public forms of discipline; embarrassment wasn't his teaching tool of choice. He reached out to players, recommending self-help books, always making himself available to talk about family. Yes, he could get angry -- but the fewer who saw it, the better.

Of course, a lot of that involved Lastings Milledge and I don't know that we have that kind of guy in our clubhouse.

The positives, at least based on what he's said, are numerous:

"The stats, they're all and fine. I mean, they don't lie but I need enough of it to back me up. ... If I have enough data, let's say over twenty, over thirty, a hundred sometimes you have access to all of that then I can go by the stats, because they don't lie. I mean, it's been proven to me that a guy from first base with no outs has a better chance to score than a guy from second base with one out. That's been proven to me with millions of at-bats. So I don't like moving guys over from first to second unless there's a pitcher up or it's real late in the game. ... Top of the lineup guys will bunt, bottom of the lineup will bunt in those types of situations. ... I'm telling you right now you're not going to be seeing me bunting guys from first to second in the middle of the games or early unless it's the pitcher. ... I'll be straight up to you guys, I'm not going to be running all over the place just so 20-25,000 people in the stands are saying that I'm aggressive while people are getting thrown out on the bases."

That's just all kinds of awesome. There was another article in the Washington Times that caused Mose over at firejoemorgan.com to profess his love for all things Acta:

Originally published 11:51 p.m., February 21, 2007, updated 12:00 a.m., February 22, 2007

Managing by the book

VIERA, Fla.

Manny Acta opened up the playbook yesterday for all to see. It wasn't 700 pages, but it was thorough enough to give a good idea of how the Nats' new manager is going to operate in key game situations.

So, keyboard managers (armchair managers is passe), have at it and see whether the new skipper is on the same page with all of you geniuses out there who, after years of reading "Total Baseball" and a few correspondence courses, think you are Sparky Anderson.

Defense: "A big part of defense is positioning. We are not going to be letting these guys do most of these things on their own. We are going to be controlling some part of the game from the bench. We will have enough charts and stuff to be able to see if he is in the right spot and, if not, control it. We would rather take that out of their hands, and between me and Pat Corrales, we will take care of that."

Stealing: "We will run selectively. I think one of the things that doomed this club last year is that they were first in caught stealing. I am not going to be running all over the place just because 25,000 people in the stands are saying I am aggressive while people are getting thrown out on the bases. Not everybody will have a green light here. The guys who are going to run are the guys who are going to prove to me that they will be successful most of the time trying to steal a base."

When asked who will have a green light, Acta said, "Nook Logan, Felipe Lopez, [Cristian] Guzman and then we will take a look at who has enough instincts and skills to pick those right spots to earn it."

Bunting: "It's been proven to me that a guy at first base with no outs has a better chance to score than a guy at second base with one out. That has been proven to me with millions of at-bats. I don't like moving guys over from first to second unless the pitcher is up or it is real late in the game.

"I am telling you right now you are not going to see me bunting guys from first to second in the middle of the game or early unless it is the pitcher. We will pick spots. If we have a slow guy on the mound, and we know Logan can lay it down, we will pick those times."

Lineup: Acta said his preference for the second spot in the lineup ideally would be determined by on-base percentage -- even though his plan is to bat Guzman, a low-percentage on-base guy, second.

"You can't steal first base," he said. "That is the main thing for me. You have to get on in order to score. I know Guzman is not a big high-percentage guy, but we don't have all the choices that we want to have here right now. With Lopez on base, Guzman may be the ideal guy to get him over with a hit-and-run or a drag bunt to get the guy in the scoring position for the [Ryan] Zimmermans and [Austin] Kearnses of the world.

He said if everyone were healthy, Ryan Church would bat second.

"If Nick [Johnson] was here, that was one of the original ideas because of [Church's] on-base percentage and his ability to hit a fastball," Acta said. "But right now, without Nick here, we need some protection behind Kearns, and if you put him hitting second, our lineup is pretty thin in the middle."

Pitching: "Our bullpen is our strength when it comes to our pitching, obviously, because we have some depth. You can't burn those guys. I like to get guys out of the game when they have the opportunity only to win or tie the ballgame, so they can come out of the game on a positive note and can build on it for the next game.

"But you need guys to give you some innings, too, because you don't want to burn out the bullpen. I am not a big fan of throwing guys more than three days in a row.

"We will carry 12 [pitchers] instead of the usual 11 in the National League. We are not hiding that with [Luis] Ayala coming back from surgery. We will take a starting rotation that, once we leave spring training, will let us know what we are going to get. We don't know what we are going to get. So we are going to carry that extra arm."

So there you go: The manager will put a high premium on defense. You won't see a lot of stealing without a high percentage of success. You won't see a lot of bunting. He's operating with two big drawbacks already, a lineup with a No. 2 hitter who is hardly his preference and a pitching staff so uncertain that he feels the need to sacrifice the bench and carry another pitcher.

That is Manny Acta's plan on the field, which may have little effect on the outcome of this season, based on "the plan" off the field.

So in summary, I'm liking this guy a ton.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9071403235.html

http://banksoftheanacostia.blogspot.com/20...tball-team.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/f...1-115118-3574r/

Beanpot

Great post, Bean. Hopefully some of the "DOLAN IS SO CHEAP" people take the time to read it.

I don't think I'm as sold as you, but it would definitely be nice to have a manager whose creativity and originality goes beyond playing Garko and Gimenez in the outfield.

And I am concerned about the wins and losses, not as a deal breaker really but I'd like to have seen some improvement from year to year.

He definitely has some good qualities, and like I said, not too many winning managers are on the job hunt. I guess I just still can't shake the mindset of "yeah, well, Jake Westbrook is still our #1 starter..."

Acta to interview for managerial spot

Former Nats skipper, Fryman and Valentine among finalists

ANAHEIM -- An Indians managerial search that has been shrouded in secrecy thus far will begin to go public Tuesday, as former Nationals manager Manny Acta will be in Cleveland for a formal afternoon interview with the Tribe, followed by a press conference with the local media.

Acta was one of eight to 10 candidates to have a phone interview with general manager Mark Shapiro and assistant general manager Chris Antonetti last week. That list is getting pared down to three to five candidates, all of whom will go to Progressive Field in the coming days.

The Indians hope to announce their next manager, who will replace the dismissed Eric Wedge, after the conclusion of the World Series, though it's possible a decision will be made before that point.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that former Rangers and Mets manager Bobby Valentine and former Tribe and Tigers third baseman Travis Fryman are also finalists for the job, though that has not yet been confirmed by the club.

Acta, 40, also interviewed for the Astros' managerial vacancy on Friday. That job might be more near and dear to his heart, as he spent 16 years in Houston's Minor League system as a player and coach. But in an e-mail to MLB.com last week, he expressed excitement over the Indians' situation, as well.

"It is a very attractive situation," he wrote, "because they already have a good, young nucleus of players on the team and a very strong farm system. I believe that an exciting time is coming again to Cleveland."

Acta, who will meet with the Indians at 1 p.m. ET Tuesday and meet with the media at 3 p.m., managed the Nationals for two-plus seasons and compiled a 158-252 record. He was relieved of his duties in July of this year, with the Nats holding a 26-61 record.

Acta is well-regarded in the industry for his application of sabermetrics, and his Dominican Republic roots and bilingual abilities help him in communicating with Latin players.

Valentine is, by far, the most experienced of the known finalists. He played parts of 10 seasons with the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Mets and Mariners, and he managed 15 seasons in the big leagues before spending the past six years managing the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan.

Shapiro has said that the Indians, despite being on the hook to pay Wedge around $1.3 million next year, have the financial resources to bring in any manager they wish. They'll need those resources if they're serious about Valentine, who made about $4 million last year with Chiba Lotte.

Valentine has a career record of 1,117-1,072, including a World Series appearance with the Mets in 2000. That was his lone postseason appearance.

The Indians did not go into this process expecting to hire from within, so Fryman's late inclusion in the process is a surprise. He's spent the past two seasons managing the Tribe's short-season Class A Mahoning Valley affiliate.

Fryman, 40, played 13 seasons in the big leagues. He was a five-time All-Star and a Gold Glove winner.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Valentine is, by far, the most experienced of the known finalists. He played parts of 10 seasons with the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, Mets and Mariners, and he managed 15 seasons in the big leagues before spending the past six years managing the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan.

Valentine has a career record of 1,117-1,072, including a World Series appearance with the Mets in 2000. That was his lone postseason appearance.[http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

15 seasons as a manager and one postseason apperance. They could get that outta me and i wouldnt cost 4 million

15 seasons as a manager and one postseason apperance. They could get that outta me and i wouldnt cost 4 million

That's a very fair take, NMills, and it should go into their decision. However, I hope they don't put too much weight into his stint in Texas 20+ years ago. Part of the record, to be sure, but I think it's pretty clear the guy has grown some since those days. As for his time in New York and Japan, I think we get a clearer picture of the guy. Run-ins with management and overall success.

I think Posnanski summed it up quite well when he wrote:

Posted: October 19th, 2009 | Filed under: Baseball | 3 Comments »

A few years ago, I pitched hard for Bobby Valentine to become the manager of the Kansas City Royals. I felt — and feel to this day — that he would be the PERFECT Royals manager. Here’s a team that has less money and fewer resources. For most people around baseball, the Royals are utterly irrelevant.

Bobby V. would make the Royals matter. And, I suspect, he’d help them win too. The guy’s a fighter, he’s obviously very smart, he loves being the underdog, he would get the Royals playing baseball a certain way (rather than the way the Royals are drifting now) and he could try all the crazy things that come to his mind. Plus he would promote the Royals at every Optimists and Kiwanis Club meeting that would have him. Perfect, I tell you. Absolutely perfect.

Now, the news: Bobby V is a finalist to be the manager of the Cleveland Indians.

Well, that would be good too.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/10/19/bobby-v/

Beanpot

dudes with all respect , I am more concern on the winnings of the team not on the politics side of the management

Sure, me too. Comes down to talent. But since we're currently without a manager, it kinda makes sense to talk about the potential candidates.

Beanpot

That's a very fair take, NMills, and it should go into their decision. However, I hope they don't put too much weight into his stint in Texas 20+ years ago. Part of the record, to be sure, but I think it's pretty clear the guy has grown some since those days. As for his time in New York and Japan, I think we get a clearer picture of the guy. Run-ins with management and overall success.

I think Posnanski summed it up quite well when he wrote:

Posted: October 19th, 2009 | Filed under: Baseball | 3 Comments »

A few years ago, I pitched hard for Bobby Valentine to become the manager of the Kansas City Royals. I felt — and feel to this day — that he would be the PERFECT Royals manager. Here’s a team that has less money and fewer resources. For most people around baseball, the Royals are utterly irrelevant.

Bobby V. would make the Royals matter. And, I suspect, he’d help them win too. The guy’s a fighter, he’s obviously very smart, he loves being the underdog, he would get the Royals playing baseball a certain way (rather than the way the Royals are drifting now) and he could try all the crazy things that come to his mind. Plus he would promote the Royals at every Optimists and Kiwanis Club meeting that would have him. Perfect, I tell you. Absolutely perfect.

Now, the news: Bobby V is a finalist to be the manager of the Cleveland Indians.

Well, that would be good too.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/10/19/bobby-v/

Beanpot

Not to mention we'd be getting two managers for the price of one....

bobby-valentine.jpg

:ph34r:

You think he will have any trouble putting together a good staff after being out of the Majors that long? Whats he going to do bring guys from Japan. I cant see coaches leaving current positions for the same position on another team. That would be my biggest concern for him and for any other canidate. What kinda coaching staff can they bring in. With the young team were gonna have we really need to bring in good guys to coach and mentor our AAA ball club.

and for an off the wall question, do you think Travis Fryman will be the 3rd base coach next year?

You think he will have any trouble putting together a good staff after being out of the Majors that long? Whats he going to do bring guys from Japan. I cant see coaches leaving current positions for the same position on another team. That would be my biggest concern for him and for any other canidate. What kinda coaching staff can they bring in. With the young team were gonna have we really need to bring in good guys to coach and mentor our AAA ball club.

and for an off the wall question, do you think Travis Fryman will be the 3rd base coach next year?

Great question about putting together a coaching staff. In fact, Castrovince notes that the most important hire may well be the pitching coach:

Aside from those fans who are adamant about the Indians' need to dip into their 1990s playbook and hire a retread like Mike Hargrove or do something totally foolish like hire Sandy Alomar Jr. or Omar Vizquel or ... I don't know ... Andy Allanson as their next manager, I don't think anybody is going to look at the list of available skippers and salivate. The Indians are looking for exactly what they should be looking for -- a good communicator who is willing to work within the confines of this market, has demonstrated an ability to mold young talent and, most important, can hire an effective pitching coach.

You could argue that the pitching coach will be the more impactful hire of the two. Because until the young arms in the Indians' system mature, this team isn't going to be winning a division title. That's why John Farrell was the Indians' top target, and that's why his decision to pull out of the running was so disappointing to the Tribe.

Not sure if coaches would be reluctant to follow Valentine to Cleveland, but I'm guessing he's been in the game long enough to have a pretty decent rolodex filled with contacts. Of course, he's kinda polarizing so there may be some issues there as well.

As for Fryman, most of the stuff I've read mentions that it's a surprise he's reached this stage of the interviewing process. So yeah, I guess I could see him promoted to the big club to further his development.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

Beanpot

Four in line for Tribe's managerial post

GM Mark Shapiro met with reporters today, following Manny Acta's formal interview for the Tribe's managerial vacancy, and revealed that four candidates are in the hunt for the job.

Acta, the former Nationals skipper, is, of course, a finalist.

The remaining internal candidate is not Travis Fryman, as had been speculated elsewhere, but Triple-A manager Torey Lovullo. Lovullo will interview on Friday.

Former Mets and Rangers manager and current ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine is also in the mix. Shapiro was not yet sure when Valentine will be coming to Cleveland, but it will be sometime this week.

Finally, there is another candidate whose identity Shapiro did not reveal. Shapiro just said that this candidate currently has other responsibilities -- the implication being that he is still involved in the postseason. Though Shapiro didn't say so, Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly is that guy. The Dodgers are down 3-1 to the Phillies in the NLCS, so he could be available to interview soon.

While it's believed these are the final four candidates, there is a chance that one or two others may emerge late. For now, it's down to Acta, Lovullo, Valentine and Mattingly.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...bes_manage.html

Dodgers: Hitting coach Don Mattingly a managerial candidate in Cleveland, Washington

PHILADELPHIA -- Hitting coach Don Mattingly said today that he had a phone interview with the Cleveland Indians about their vacant managerial position last week and that the Washington Nationals have contacted General Manager Ned Colletti to ask for permission to speak with him.

Mattingly said he had plans to resume discussions with the Indians.

"I've wanted to manage for a long time," Mattingly said. "I've been moving in that direction."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blo...washington.html

Eh. I don't really care too much. Probably Mattingly just based on the excitement he'd create, and everything he's had to have picked up from working under Torre the last few years. After that I'd probably go Acta-Lovullo-Valentine.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

PHILADELPHIA -- Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly, presumably being groomed to take over when manager Joe Torre retires, has interviewed for the vacant Cleveland Indians manager's job and has been approached through the Dodgers' front office by the Washington Nationals about their managing job, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

"I've wanted to manage a long time and I've been moving in that direction," said Mattingly, who interviewed by phone with the Indians but said the Nationals told Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti their interview process will start after the World Series.

"I'm flattered the organization thinks I'm capable of [managing], or at least they'd think I could," Mattingly added. "It was a chance to get to know them and for them to get to know me."

Mattingly was reportedly one of eight to 10 candidates interviewed over the phone by Tribe general manager Mark Shapiro and assistant general manager Chris Antonetti last week, during the Indians' organizational meetings in Goodyear, Ariz.

It is not known if Mattingly is one of the three to five finalists for the job who will have a more formal interview with the Tribe's higher-ups. Thus far, former Nationals skipper Manny Acta is the only confirmed finalist, as he was in Cleveland on Tuesday. The Plain Dealer has reported that former Mets and Rangers manager Bobby Valentine will also be interviewed in Cleveland this week, though that was not confirmed by the club.

Mattingly, 47, is the former Yankees All-Star first baseman who was passed over for Joe Girardi as Torre's replacement when Torre and the Yankees parted company after the 2007 season. When Torre accepted the Dodgers' offer, he did so only if Mattingly and third-base coach Larry Bowa came with him.

Mattingly immediately took a half-season leave to attend to family issues, but he reclaimed his job after the All-Star break of 2008, and the Dodgers' offense immediately responded.

"I rely on him a great deal," Torre said of Mattingly, who serves as a sounding board for Torre as well as hitting coach. "He's closer than I am to the players. I played 30 years ago, he played 14 or 15 years ago. He was a superstar, but you wouldn't know it. He doesn't expect you to listen to him because of that. He has something to say and he works hard. He would be an excellent manager. He's not afraid to be wrong."

Preaching a patient, yet aggressive, approach at the plate, Mattingly had an offense that led the league in batting average and on-base percentage and was fourth in runs scored, even though it was 11th in home runs and left the most runners on base.

For some reason I think Donnie Ballgame stays in LA to become Torre successor year after next.

Luvullo is being interviewed because he has earned that right being in the Indians organization.

From what I have read he has an outside chance at being manager but all the right pieces must fall into place for it to happen.

Fryman likes spending time with his kids and was also offered the phone interview as a courtesy to him for being in the organization.

Valentine......Really I don't see the personalities meshing here for him to take the job

Acta could take the job here or the one in Houston......was interviewed here for seven hours

(what do they talk about for 7 hours anyway?)

Clint Hurdle may get an interview according to AC

If Manny Acta is the Indians' man, he would help rebuild Latino ties to the players: Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Can Manny Acta be a good manager for the Indians?

Who knows?

He spent 2 1/2 seasons with a franchise that is baseball's version of Devil's Island, the Washington Nationals. It's so bad that his first season record of 73-89 was considered a positive.

The next two seasons, it was baseball business as usual in the nation's capital -- a 59-102 record followed by 26-61 mark and being fired at mid-season. He was replaced by Jim Riggleman, who had a 33-42 record and may be retained as manager for next season.

The Indians are very serious about Acta, who also is a finalist for the Houston Astros' job. He certainly ranks ahead of Class AAA Columbus Manager Torey Lovullo, who is expected to be in town for another round of interviews this week.

How does he stack up next to remaining finalists Bobby Valentine and Don Mattingly? Hard to know. Valentine has a plush deal with ESPN. Mattingly is an impressive guy, but his coaching career consists of two teams -- the Yankees and the Dodgers.

Chuck Crow/The Plain DealerWhether or not Manny Acta is the eventual choice to lead the Cleveland Indians on the field, the organization needs to address a need for Latino coaches at the big-league level, says Terry Pluto.You can imagine the financial culture shock Mattingly will experience if he ends up in Wahoo red, white and blue when stars are traded away -- rather than brought to his team as is the case in New York and Los Angeles.

A native of the Dominican Republic, Acta does bring something to the Indians that they desperately need. He is a strong Latino presence, a baseball man respected south of the border.

That is not reason to make him the manager. But it's a driving force to add Acta or someone like him to the new coaching staff. Baseball has a huge Latino influence. The young players from the Dominican, Venezuela and Latin countries need baseball role models.

When former manager Eric Wedge fired veteran coach Luis Isaac, it was a major mistake, but not for the reason some fans assumed. The Indians had bad bullpens with Isaac, although there is no reason to blame him for that.

But with 44 years in the Tribe organization, Isaac was the kind of coach who could help young Latino players acclimate to the big leagues. He was replaced by Chuck Hernandez, who simply didn't have the same status with Tribe players as Isaac. The only other Latino coach was Luis Rivera.

This is not about political correctness, it's simply common sense.

At the moment, the Indians have 11 Latinos on their 40-man roster. It's a safe bet at least eight will be on the 25-man roster. Having coaches who can speak Spanish is a huge advantage, especially since it's possible to find qualified Latino coaches if a team makes the effort.

Rudy Jaramillo is considered perhaps the best hitting coach in baseball. He is on the open market after leaving the Texas Rangers in a contract dispute. The Indians not only need to spend money for a manager, but also for top coaches.

The right coaching staff is critical here, where the team relies on so many young players.

So if the Indians hire Acta, they should consider Mike Hargrove for a bench coach position. Not because Hargrove is white and a team wants some racial balance or to hit a quota. Diversity also means having different ranges of experience on the coaching staff.

Hargrove has managed the Indians, Orioles and Mariners. Acta is only 40 and can be helped by the 59-year-old Hargrove. He not only understands the big league game -- but also knows how it is played in Cleveland, on and off the field.

General Manager Mark Shapiro said Hargrove is not a candidate to replace Wedge, but also stressed that Hargrove has the "energy and passion" to manage again. He'd be ideal for Acta, Mattingly and even Valentine because of his background with the Indians.

The Indians allowed Wedge almost complete power to pick coaches, and most were from the farm system and were much like him. The only one with major league managerial experience was Joel Skinner, who was an interim skipper for the Tribe after the 2002 All-Star break.

The interview of Acta hopefully is a sign that the Indians are looking not only at the manager's job in a different way, but also a new approach to the coaching staff.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index...._indians_m.html

Hit the link for video of his Q&A after the interview, he seems like a pretty likeable guy. The DiaTribe mentions his use of "We" and talking about the Browns and such, seems like he's excited about Cleveland.

Pretty sure he's my favorite of the four now.

Archived