THE BROWNS BOARD

The NFL's Most Meaningful Stat

shepwrite

The four top rated passers in the NFL: Peyton, Eli, Drew, and Favre.

Combined losses: 0

The four bottom rated passers: Delhomme, Johnson, Russell, DA.

Combined wins: 2

(Meanwhile, the Titans and Rams have the 3rd and 4th leading rushers in the NFL, both very close to #1.)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, interesting correlation. Great observation Shep - I always thought the rating was a little questionable but that is some pretty solid back-up to validate it's importance.

There are always exceptions to the rule Lum. I'd be interested to see how the data stacks up for each team/QB over the past five years and how the QB rating flows.

I know it's probably been addressed - but can someone tell me why there aren't any "Thanks" on the board anymore? I liked that feature.

Are those this years stats?

Because Big Gay Ben isn't gonna get anywhere near the playoffs this year. and his penchant for the pick 6 is going to be one of the reasons.

That is where they ranked league-wise the years they led their teams to the Super Bowl, #24 and #25.

Zombo

--Those teams play pretty good defense and run the ball ... something we took to the extreme on Sunday, but it did work out.

Nickelback Sucks

Shep, stats like that are hard to argue with. Seems as if how goes the QB rating, so goes the team. I think we might be in trouble.

And Nickelback most certainly does NOT suck.

I know it's very trendy to say so however.

Shep, stats like that are hard to argue with. Seems as if how goes the QB rating, so goes the team. I think we might be in trouble.

And Nickelback most certainly does NOT suck.

I know it's very trendy to say so however.

No....Nickelback really does suck. Awful. Horrible.

You wanna talk trendy? Listen to your big hit rock songs from 2000-now and listen then listen to Nickelback...I'd bet you couldn't tell a difference

No individual stat leads to team success or failure as consistently as passer rating. We've shown year after year how the top coincides with winning and playoffs and the bottom is for losers.

but we also know that a dink n dunk offense artificially inflates QB rating.

by placing a much higher value on completion percentage over any other factors (by figuring it in twice in the calcs) it will never be a true measure of offensive effectiveness

It is really just a slightly modified measure of completion percentage.

It has been proven over and over and over, QB rating will always take a back seat to defense, limiting penalties, and winning the turnover battle. I don't need a QB ranked in the top 10 in rating to win the SB. Shit we just won a game with a QB that just broke the fooking record for futility.

That's the problem with guys who post absolutes about the game of football. It is never just one thing and we've already gone over this time and time again. Just like you don't need to be in the top ten in QB rating (see Steelers, Giants) you also can't win without some combination what I pointed out above.

You like QBs. We get it. But this black and white, this is how it is, don't even debate me attitude you have regarding the QB rating is laughable. Sure it's nice and it's better to have than not, but Jesus the last two winners didn't rank in the top 20!!!!! Let's keep this thread alive and discuss it again come playoff time.

No....Nickelback really does suck. Awful. Horrible.

You wanna talk trendy? Listen to your big hit rock songs from 2000-now and listen then listen to Nickelback...I'd bet you couldn't tell a difference

I bet if you go listen to Boston's first album, you could hardly tell one song from the next. Same with Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Tool, etc. It doesn't mean it's not good.

Besides, how can you argue with this lyric:

No class, no taste

No shirt, and shitfaced.

or

I love what you wanna wear

I wonder what's up under there

I wonder if I'll ever have it under my tongue.

CLASSIC

It has been proven over and over and over, QB rating will always take a back seat to defense, limiting penalties, and winning the turnover battle. I don't need a QB ranked in the top 10 in rating to win the SB. Shit we just won a game with a QB that just broke the fooking record for futility.

That's the problem with guys who post absolutes about the game of football. It is never just one thing and we've already gone over this time and time again. Just like you don't need to be in the top ten in QB rating (see Steelers, Giants) you also can't win without some combination what I pointed out above.

You like QBs. We get it. But this black and white, this is how it is, don't even debate me attitude you have regarding the QB rating is laughable. Sure it's nice and it's better to have than not, but Jesus the last two winners didn't rank in the top 20!!!!! Let's keep this thread alive and discuss it again come playoff time.

Just like you don't need to be in the top ten in QB rating (see Steelers, Giants) you also can't win without some combination what I pointed out above.

Both of which are in the top 10 in QB rating right now.....

It's so weird when people battle iron-clad stats with anecdotal evidence. It makes me think of politics, which then makes me puke.

On that note, you have to love that old chick from Maine for having a pair.

Actually that old broad from Maine makes me want to puke, she doesn't have a pair, she gave in to the pressure.

Guest Masters

I think Shep and everybody understands more goes into the success and failure of teams than just QBR. I mean all one has to do is look at Rogers last year. The point I see is that you will far more often find a consistant winning and playoff apearing team led by a QB with a solid QBR for the entire season. That to me was the point.

Will there be exception, of course. But I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a team that is regularly successful, but trots out the lowest rated QB in the league week in and week out. The only team I can think of that has had some consistant success with low rated QB play was BALT. But even that caught up to them.

As to someone saying QBR is all about completion percentage, that is just not true. The number of completions only factors in to one of the four components that then form the QBR. The number of attempts factors in far more than completions.

Guest Masters
My feeling is this, yes you can win with a QB who has a low QB rating, like Lumbergh pointed out it does place an abnormally high value on completion percentage. Let's say a QB is 10/28.....not a good completion percentage, but of those 10 passes, 4 went for TD's then well.....uhhh your team will most likely win.

It doesn't put an abnormally high value on completion percentage. It put value on attempt the most. That is used in all 4 formulas used to calculate QBR. COMP, TD, INT, and Yards are each only used once. Basically it's all about what you did w/ those attempts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback_rating

I bet if you go listen to Boston's first album, you could hardly tell one song from the next. Same with Skynyrd, Zeppelin, Tool, etc. It doesn't mean it's not good.

Besides, how can you argue with this lyric:

No class, no taste

No shirt, and shitfaced.

or

I love what you wanna wear

I wonder what's up under there

I wonder if I'll ever have it under my tongue.

CLASSIC

Boston..Skynyrd, maybe. But Tool? Zeppelin? no way dude. You're far off on that one. Nickelback is horrible and Chad Kroeger is the epitome of DOUCHE

Presenting, from the Rock N Roll forum...

The four top rated passers in the NFL: Peyton, Eli, Drew, and Favre.

Combined losses: 0

The four bottom rated passers: Delhomme, Johnson, Russell, DA.

Combined wins: 2

(Meanwhile, the Titans and Rams have the 3rd and 4th leading rushers in the NFL, both very close to #1.)

Gayest post ever. Really? A team that has a good QB wins games? Wow, just brilliant.

i can make shit up too......

Really? Thats great. Brady Quinn's college scouting report praised his strong NFL arm. Whereas Drew Brees has been questioned about how much pepper he can put on his ball. It a deep chucking contest BQ would win that one, he has been known to throw over 65-70yds (farther than sanchez could monday night)

The knock on Quinn is getting him to USE his great arm, the strength is there, its wether he has the confidence in this league to chuck it down there. Brees has confidence in his arm, therefore, he can throw deep and make his arm count.

Guest Masters
Really? Thats great. Brady Quinn's college scouting report praised his strong NFL arm. Whereas Drew Brees has been questioned about how much pepper he can put on his ball. It a deep chucking contest BQ would win that one, he has been known to throw over 65-70yds (farther than sanchez could monday night)

The knock on Quinn is getting him to USE his great arm, the strength is there, its wether he has the confidence in this league to chuck it down there. Brees has confidence in his arm, therefore, he can throw deep and make his arm count.

That was the knock on Brees coming into the NFL. Since then, he has greatly increase his arm strength. No one has questioned Brees arm strenght for years. His arm strenght is probably higher than Quinns today.

Archived