THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini: We're not dealing Quinn

IschY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all the rumors, speculations and conspiracy theory's on the Browns let me add a tape recorded conversation at the beginning of the season and this past week..

Mangini: We have a talented young guy in Brady Quinn but I really don't want to pay him the bonus money, how I can I get away with this without the fans driving my out in 3 games.

Daboll: What if we start the season with Quinn, don't allow him to throw a pass longer than 20 yards and make sure we allow the opposing teams defense a front seat pass to the "Sack the Brady" club?

Mangini: That's not gonna work, Edwards can catch any ball and run it to the house.

Daboll: I have an idea, we can tell Edwards that if he drops a whole bunch of balls we will allow him to hit one of Lebrons friends and send him to the Jets.

Mangini: That is a great idea, but what do we do with Anderson?

Daboll: I'm thinking, that we can let him play for a couple of games and trade him before he starts to throw interceptions.

3 weeks later....

Mangini: Well the Quinn idea worked like a charm!! We have everyone thinking that Quinn sucks big time!!!

Daboll: Remember that was my idea!!!

Mangini: Well so was the Anderson idea!!

Daboll: Wait a minute, I said we could start him before he started throwing interceptions!! I was not completely wrong, he only through 1 interception last week!!

Mangini: Yea, but he only completed 3 passes, including the interception!!

Daboll and Mangini: Man this sucks!!

He is simply getting a new house because it is less likely he will hit his contract escalators this year.

I have a feeling this was Mangini's plan from Day1. Make Quinn his starter and announce it. Pull Quinn a few games in, show that DA is worse by starting him for 31% of the snaps, then bring Quinn back in to cleanup the easier half a the schedule to make him look better so he can go in as the definite starter next year with DA gone with full control of this team.

Ill stick to that ^

Except there is no way to know what exact number would constitute 31% of the snaps. There is no way to know such a thing.

Not to mention EM doesn't give a rat's ass if players meet their escalators, he cares about winning and doing what is best for the future.

apparently LaVar Arrington said today on a radio show that an offer might be getting put together right now.

Redskins send Anthony Montgomery, defensive tackle

Browns send Quinn

This makes too much sense not to have some sort of truth to it. Snyder needs a QB and he needs to save some coin. Quinn is a bargain bin low-risk high-reward young QB. The fans will be energized and he would be as far away from the AFC North as possible. Plus we get a DT that's good enough to start thus, saving us a draft selection or fee agent signing next year. Its a win-win even for Quinn who will get to start there in a about 2 weeks. Throw in a 4th or 5th round pick and I'm sold. Lavarre is an idiot but nomore than TO is and TO was spot on.

This makes too much sense not to have some sort of truth to it. Snyder needs a QB and he needs to save some coin. Quinn is a bargain bin low-risk high-reward young QB. The fans will be energized and he would be as far away from the AFC North as possible. Plus we get a DT that's good enough to start thus, saving us a draft selection or fee agent signing next year. Its a win-win even for Quinn who will get to start there in a about 2 weeks. Throw in a 4th or 5th round pick and I'm sold. Lavarre is an idiot but nomore than TO is and TO was spot on.

Make the trade with a future additional conditional pick in '10 or '11 based on Quinn's play this season or next.

He is simply getting a new house because it is less likely he will hit his contract escalators this year.

I have a feeling this was Mangini's plan from Day1. Make Quinn his starter and announce it. Pull Quinn a few games in, show that DA is worse by starting him for 31% of the snaps, then bring Quinn back in to cleanup the easier half a the schedule to make him look better so he can go in as the definite starter next year with DA gone with full control of this team.

Ill stick to that ^

Not a bad management move, if that is the case. I think that with the way the first 3 games went and looking at the play calling it could be possible. Mangini knows he needs cash for FA and he needs players and not a bag of chumps that have been left over from the savage/rac era.

When we see players who act like they are just showing up for a check, they were needed just to fill the roster, I wopuldn't count on them being on next years roster.

Just curious how you would feel getting Fkd out of 11 million dollars? It isn't like this regime hasn't come out already about saving 40 mill over time on the #5 overall pick....so holding BQ out till he can't reach the 70% escalator in his contract is VERY reasonable and if it were me would Piss me the fk off....trudat. I'd ask for a trade after the guy in front of me completed TWO fking passes.....but that's just me.... :rolleyes:

Just curious how you would feel getting Fkd out of 11 million dollars? It isn't like this regime hasn't come out already about saving 40 mill over time on the #5 overall pick....so holding BQ out till he can't reach the 70% escalator in his contract is VERY reasonable and if it were me would Piss me the fk off....trudat. I'd ask for a trade after the guy in front of me completed TWO fking passes.....but that's just me.... :rolleyes:

again... how the hell would anyone know for sure when it was impossible for Quinn to reach 70% of the snaps? they would not. There's no telling how many snaps you are going to get per game.

Quinn just isn't good. That's why EM pulled him.

again... how the hell would anyone know for sure when it was impossible for Quinn to reach 70% of the snaps? they would not. There's no telling how many snaps you are going to get per game.

Chances are if DA plays 6 games it'll be impossible for Quinn to reach the number.

Ill stick to that ^

That seems a little farfetched, but would definitely be one of the shrewdest business moves I've ever witnessed in the NFL.

How do you get a player to buy into a system (any player but BQ definitely) after your coach trots you out on the field and purposely limits you so that you some how look worse than the worst passer in the league (who happens to be starting now) even though you actually weren't? That's a pretty steep hill for any organization to climb. And it's certainly a world apart from Tom Brady taking a paycut to bring in some more talent. At least his coach let's him go throw 50 TDs in a season before he ever pulls that kind of BS.

That seems a little farfetched, but would definitely be one of the shrewdest business moves I've ever witnessed in the NFL.

How do you get a player to buy into a system (any player but BQ definitely) after your coach trots you out on the field and purposely limits you so that you some how look worse than the worst passer in the league (who happens to be starting now) even though you actually weren't? That's a pretty steep hill for any organization to climb. And it's certainly a world apart from Tom Brady taking a paycut to bring in some more talent. At least his coach let's him go throw 50 TDs in a season before he ever pulls that kind of BS.

I know, I really think they pulled Quinn because he kept checking down and showed no improvement.

Anderson gets rid of the ball quicker, for better or for worse. That's one reason why the line looks a lot better.

That and they replaced Womack with Fraley. I was thinking that StClair was a problem, but perhaps he was having to subconsciously cheat inside to help cover for Slowmack. Sure explains why every single one of Dumvervil's four sacks was to the outside (and explains why many of us were screaming to get a TE over there to help).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how much better our line looks this week without having to face Aaron Smith.

I think there's no doubt DA gets rid of the ball quickly. Its a strength of his but it probably has counterbalancing weaknesses around completion percentage (holding the ball a bit longer can give receivers time to get open and allow for a deeper progression) and turnovers (staring down the primary).

The way Quinn denied trade rumors and said something about needing a smaller place thats easier to maintain and closer to work in an article in the PD somehow reminded me of the press conference when he denied knowing he was the starting QB for game 1 a couple days beforehand.

Maybe some truth to the rumors?

It seems kinda funny to me how six weeks ago we were all clamoring for DA to get traded and now its BQ...Some things change quickly in Brownstown.

Yeah, ESPN reported that he said he is downsizing. He's probably downsizing because he's not going to make that 11mil incentive for not taking 70% of the snaps. I had no idea that was in his contract, until I read it the other day. I now see why he's been benched. He's not any better than DA, so why fork out 11mil for someone of equal quality in DA??

Guest CardDawg

Brady Quinn has got a gun, and plenty of arm strength. I think he was dropping back too far, opening himself up for our RT to get beat around the edge and causing sacks. He isn't tall like the Derek Anderson and can't see over the line, therefore couldn't sit within the pocket. Quinn would be most effective playing for a team that can open passing lanes to throw to, not over - allowing the tackles to run their guys deep with Quinn setting up inside (like Adnerson does). I seen Quinn throw between O-linemen in preseason games. He squeezed it right in there, through blind holes, hitting receivers in-stride. It's a dangerous game (squeezing passes between the trees), and it hasn't worked out well for him in the Pro's. He plays like he is 6'-0".

He did take too long making decisions though and I never understood why because he looked to only be surveying half the field.

Yeah, ESPN reported that he said he is downsizing. He's probably downsizing because he's not going to make that 11mil incentive for not taking 70% of the snaps. I had no idea that was in his contract, until I read it the other day. I now see why he's been benched. He's not any better than DA, so why fork out 11mil for someone of equal quality in DA??

ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Guest CardDawg

I never looked at it as the Browns saved a ton trading down to get the non-sexy Alex Mack, then saved $11-mil on sexy Brady. Damn, that's some serious dough ... but next year gonna cost them a ton to sign all them draft picks.

I never looked at it as the Browns saved a ton trading down to get the non-sexy Alex Mack, then saved $11-mil on sexy Brady. Damn, that's some serious dough ... but next year gonna cost them a ton to sign all them draft picks.

Kokinis smaked of pride when he said it...like justification for trade down....also eric steinbach and corey williams will be cut or let go or traded...because of CAP. Esp williams. We keep rogers or we are stupid!

Yeah, but Quinn's already made millions. This year, doesn't he get 700,000 without the incentives?

It isn't like the house is some monster 10 million dollar palace he's paying on; it's only worth $630,000.

Why would he need to downsize that, knowing what his salary is? And in the middle of the season? Conveniently after DA's debacle of a performance? Knowing the media would run with it, like they did with Jay Cutler?

I think he either knows his name's is in serious discussions or he's sending a passive message.

I feel bad for Quinn as I really think the Browns sucker punched him.

He grows up a Cleveland fan in Ohio and the Browns trade a ton to come up in the draft to get him. Such a move gives the impression the team really wants him, and with this impression, will look for a reason to start him, sooner rather than later.

BUT, the Browns use every reason they can not to start him. After 2 long years of riding the pine, he's given 10 quarters to get things going against the top D's. When he can get it done, the back-up lays an even bigger egg and somehow gets the team's nod. He is cast to the side with no indication he will ever be considered again. As he sits on the side lines, the current QB completes 2 of 17 against a terrible team and there is no hint of worry from the HC, only words of positive reinforcement. Quinn knows if he would have stumbled into a couple of field goals to get the W, there would have been hell to pay, and none of this "a win is a win" crap.

You can't make this stuff up.

Here's hoping DA comes in and lights up the Steelers. There is zero indication this will happen, but stranger things have happened.

I feel bad for Quinn as I really think the Browns sucker punched him.

He grows up a Cleveland fan in Ohio and the Browns trade a ton to come up in the draft to get him. Such a move gives the impression the team really wants him, and with this impression, will look for a reason to start him, sooner rather than later.

BUT, the Browns use every reason they can not to start him. After 2 long years of riding the pine, he's given 10 quarters to get things going against the top D's. When he can get it done, the back-up lays an even bigger egg and somehow gets the team's nod. He is cast to the side with no indication he will ever be considered again. As he sits on the side lines, the current QB completes 2 of 17 against a terrible team and there is no hint of worry from the HC, only words of positive reinforcement. Quinn knows if he would have stumbled into a couple of field goals to get the W, there would have been hell to pay, and none of this "a win is a win" crap.

You can't make this stuff up.

Here's hoping DA comes in and lights up the Steelers. There is zero indication this will happen, but stranger things have happened.

LOL. Come on. Move on. Who cares what DA does. Who cares what Quinn does. Quinn wasn't sucker punched. He just sucked. Deal with that reality.

Archived