THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs

alporcini

i know this has come up once or twice in the past, but with this kid's heart, passion, size, speed, ball sense, and ability to lay a lick, what's the rationale for not looking at him as a DB... it's not as if we don't need the help...

It would risk too much. He can do a lot more help for us on special teams and flash packages than he can risking a knee on defense.

Besides, if he could play DB he probably would have from the start. He probably doesn't have the hip maneuverability required to stay with a wr. He's more of a straight ahead type of runner than a slasher.

That said... he could probably make a very punishing safety.

That said... he could probably make a very punishing safety.

I agree on the risk vs. reward, but sticking Cribbs in at safety would be a neat package. He is Sean Taylor size, was a QB in college and might be able to apply that to jumping routes, etc. He can absolutely tattoo people on ST. He has so much heart that I just want the kid on the field every play.

Could Pool cover a #2 receiver? I think so. He seems to make big plays/picks but that might be a benefit of him being funneled receivers from our corners. who knows. Certainly time to re-evaluate, as our season is more than likely over.

Cribbs & Jones at safety = badass.

I've said this same things several times. In fact I was just mentioning it to a guy here at work today. I'd be willing to sacrafice the Flash Package and him at WR to get him in at a Safety position. I think he would destroy people out there.

How about run a 3-3-4-Cribbs package. Get rid of one of the unproductive LBs, and just tell Cribbs to make plays. OH YEAH!!!

And what does Cribbs really do on Offense that someone like Jerome Harrison couldn't do with more touches?

not only is it way, way, way too late for cribbs to learn a new position, there is NO way pool can cover a #2 receiver. dude can't even cover a 3. the giants burned him all game long.

maybe if we'd made cribbs a safety coming out of college, he'd have a chance at the position. but now that we've been working to make him a wideout, there's no way it would work. chris gamble, anyone? how's he been doing?

offense and defense are too different and special teams is entirely and wholly different again. cribbs needs to be what he is: a tough antwaan randle el. i want to see him more on offense and less on kick coverage. we can get other guys to cover kicks as well as he can, but few people can run in the open field like JC. chud needs to work some TO-style drag routes into the playbook so cribbs can get yards after the catch, especially now that, like platinum said, we have a QB that can actually hit people in stride.

i want to see him more on offense and less on kick coverage. we can get other guys to cover kicks as well as he can, but few people can run in the open field like JC.

Here is where I will 100% whole-heartedly and completely disagree with you. I have never, ever seen anyone cover kicks like Cribbs. This past game Cribbs was in on EVERY tackle on kick returns. That kick returner has 1 job, avoid Cribbs, and he can't do it. He knows it's coming, and he still can't avoid it. Time and time again, Cribbs would come out of nowhere flying through to knock a guy down. He's a freak of a heat-seaking missile aimed at the person with the ball.

Hey opposing special teams coaches. . . you better put 3 players on the field with the assignment to stop #16. Because if you don't, he's going to hunt down your ball-carrier and take him out.

Cribbs is hands-down the best special teams coverage player in the NFL. He's 'one of the best' returners, but he IS the best coverage player. Can't take him off of that.

We win the special teams battle ever week due to the play of Cribbs alone, as I said in another post why would you take something we excel at in special teams and move cribbs to offense or defense and only have him be an average player. Leave well enough alone, let the guy wreck havic on special teams and win the field position battle. We get our offense moving again and our defense even to average playing and this team will win alot of games.

i stand corrected on the special teams coverage. i still want to see more of him with the ball actually in his hands, though. he routinely makes game-changing plays when he's got the ball. we need to get it to him more.

maybe we can take some 2 and 3-yard carries away from jamal lewis?

Archived