THE BROWNS BOARD

How about this early Mock Draft?

DaBrowns41

Just a Mock Draft lite.

*I'm holding onto Quinn because of a low cap number, and because I think he'll get an opportunity in the 2nd half to improve. I think he'll stay in Cleveland, and I'm getting rid of Anderson simply because we cannot afford to pay him 7.45 million*

Losses:

Derek Anderson- Next year he makes 7.45 million. Not worth it for a QB who can barely complete 50% of his passes and throws more INT's than TD's, and even Mangini should be able to realize that. Traded to San Fran for a conditional 4th in 2011.

Jamal Lewis- If he doesn't retire, he'll be released.

Steve Heiden- Continuous back problems, will retire.

Hank Poteat- POS is released.

Nick Sorensen- released

Anthony Madison- released

Corey Williams- Traded to Panthers for 4th in 2010.

Billy Cundiff- Released

Ray Ventrone- Released

Ryan Tucker- Retired

Jerome Harrison, D'Qwell Jackson, Brodney Pool, and Lawrence Vickers all retained.

Free Agency:

Sage Rosenfels- Needs to limit turnovers, but throws for a good CP, and is a vet.

Maurice Stovall- Big, physical presence. We have zero WR's above 6'3 and that's Robo, who we don't know anything about.

Ben Watson- We need a true pass catching tight end. He brings us that presence.

Adam Terry- Played RT for the Ravens for a bit. Did a very solid job. They are now solid with Oher and Gaither, however.

Jason Hatcher- Has played consistently for the Cowboys as a rotational DE. Big, physical guy who's got some potential still.

Pierre Woods- An OLB presence who comes back home to Cleveland. A backup in New England right now who gets in nearly every game with the occasional start.

I personally believe the Rams, Buccaneers, Raiders, Chiefs, Panthers and Bills are all worse than us. We get the 7th pick.

2010 NFL Draft

1st- Gerald McCoy, DE, Oklahoma- Suh and Berry are both gone, so I go with the next best defensive player. We have a pressing need for a DE, especially a young one. McCoy and Suh are both amazing players, and McCoy fits the Seymour mold better than anybody I've seen in the last few years.

2nd- Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU- Hughes led the FBS in sacks (15) on the number one ranked defense in 2008. He has fantastic durability, and is quite athletic. But the best thing about him is his instincts and his tackling ability. In the open field, he breaks down for a wrap up tackle and can distinguish run vs. pass better than anybody in the nation.

3rd- Ciron Black, OT, LSU- Black is a big bodied, mauler. He excels in the run game. While his passing game needs work, he's got quick hands and excellent awareness off the snap. He's got a great motor and fantastic work ethic. He's a Mangini guy.

3rd- Perrish Cox, CB, OK State- Perfect height and weight and exceptional speed. He's got very good hands, and a fantastic closing burst. Needs work in coverage often giving too much cushion, but he's a good prospect.

3rd- Anthony McCoy, TE, USC- Very physically gifted player. Great size and solid speed at the tight end position. Can catch the ball over the middle with ease, and is tough. He plays to the whistle.

4th- Justin Woodall, S, Alabama- Woodall is a physical safety with decent ball skills. He's great with covering TE's, and doubling receivers over the top, and doesn't hesitate to go in for the big hit. Good project safety.

4th- Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama- Deaderick, along with Mt. Cody are big reasons why this Alabama defense is top 5 in the nation against the run. He's a physical guy with a lot of upside. He needs to get better laterally, but does a good job playing in space, and with contain.

5th- Zac Robinson, QB, OK State- I actually think Robinson is much better than a 5th round pick, but we'll see. He's an efficient passer who still manages to get it down field to his deeper threats. His 9.76 YPA was among the best in the NCAA last season and so far this season he's at 9.39 YPA. He doesn't turn the ball over that much and has good mobility.

5th- Joe Thomas, OT, Pitt- How sweet would it be to have two Joe Thomas'? All kidding aside, Thomas makes a perfect project at RT. We took Black earlier who could play either RT or RG, and we grab Thomas here to compete for a RT spot. We can't do much worse with St. Clair.

5th- Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee- Watching this guy run behind a barely average Tennessee offensive line can be fun. He has very good vision and once he finds a seam, he doesn't hesitate. He's very physical with legs that don't stop churning.

6th- Will Tukuafu, DE/OLB, Oregon- Tuk is a decent pass rusher with good backside contain. He's not the most athletic guy, and his coverage would be suspect, but he could find himself a spot as a situational pass rusher. Great size and very good against the run.

7th- Shay Hodge, WR, Ole Miss- A WR with decent size that falls due to speed issues. His hands are decent, but he runs crisp routes. Not the most explosive receiver, but he can get the job done.

Here is Walter's mock draft! 10/8

4. Cleveland Browns: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

It looks like after just six starts, the Brady Quinn era is over in Cleveland. Eric Mangini just named Derek Anderson the starter against the Bengals, and you can't really blame him. Anderson performed well, but he's not the answer.

Now that this season is quickly going down the toilet, Eric Mangini will blame things on Quinn and draft "his guy."

Sam Bradford is hurt, but I don't think he goes back to Oklahoma. There's a chance Roger Goodell could implement a rookie pay scale starting with the 2011 NFL Draft, so Bradford really should come out to avoid risking another injury and losing a ton of money.

Pick change; previously Jimmy Clausen, QB

36. Cleveland Browns: Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson

The Browns have major problems everywhere. Outside of Kamerion Wimbley, they have only four sacks in four games. They need someone across from Wimbley to get to the quarterback.

68. Cleveland Browns: Tyson Alualu, DE/DT, California

Corey Williams will be cut after this season is over. Robaire Smith, who is somehow starting for the Browns, needs to be upgraded.

Pick change; previously Mike Williams, WR

87. Cleveland Browns: Charles Scott, RB, LSU

Jamal Lewis is done, so all the Browns will have at the position is James Davis and Jerome Harrison, neither of whom excels at running in between the tackles.

Pick change; previously Thomas Austin, G (Jets)

3rd- Perrish Cox, CB, OK State- Perfect height and weight and exceptional speed. He's got very good hands, and a fantastic closing burst. Needs work in coverage often giving too much cushion, but he's a good prospect.

I think Cox will be off the board before then.

He's also got some character issues, which may scare off Mangini.

36. Cleveland Browns: Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson

Walter keeps on projecting Sapp to us, but I think it's a bad fit. Sapp's a tremendous athlete, but he's not particularly strong or instinctive, which makes him one dimensional. There's a reason good OT's shut him down, as has happened the last two weeks.

68. Cleveland Browns: Tyson Alualu, DE/DT, California

Corey Williams will be cut after this season is over. Robaire Smith, who is somehow starting for the Browns, needs to be upgraded.

Love this pick. Alualu may not impress at the Combine, but he's been playing like a 1st round pick. He's got quick, strong hands and a tremendous motor. And he's already got experience playing DE in Cal's 3-4.

I think Cox will be off the board before then.

He's also got some character issues, which may scare off Mangini.

Walter keeps on projecting Sapp to us, but I think it's a bad fit. Sapp's a tremendous athlete, but he's not particularly strong or instinctive, which makes him one dimensional. There's a reason good OT's shut him down, as has happened the last two weeks.

Love this pick. Alualu may not impress at the Combine, but he's been playing like a 1st round pick. He's got quick, strong hands and a tremendous motor. And he's already got experience playing DE in Cal's 3-4.

Click imaginary thanks button!

First, Walter is full of it because "going back to Oklahoma" is not an option for Bradford so the credibility is lost there. Second, Bradford's stock is dropping steadily amongst NFL scouts partially due to the injury and the fact that the dude can't face a pass rush (immobile to boot).

Second, I like your mock. McCoy is a very good player but I don't think that Zac Robinson slides to the fifth round. Having seen him play many times, he will work his way into late round 2 to early fourth.

Personally, I would kill to get Eric Berry. I have tons of homer man-love for Colt McCoy but I'd sell him and his hot girlfriend out in a second to get Eric Berry. Admittedly, Berry could be gone by pick seven which is unusual given that he's a safety. He's just that good.

Does anyone see Joe Mcknight possibly coming out early.?If so, would a 3rd be a reasonable pick for him?

McKnight became a father earlier this year, which makes it more likely that he needs NFL money now. But even with that put aside, I'd have guessed that McKnight will declare. He's been reasonably healthy this season - he can't afford to return for another year and have an injury eat his rookie signing bonus.

nfldraftscout has McKnight pegged as a 2nd round pick. There's a lot to like about his game, but he's maddeningly unreliable, both in terms of maturity (though that's said to be less of an issue this year) and ball security (fumbled twice against Washington, another two times against Oregon State last year).

He'll be a real boom or bust pick.

Tried this out using nfldraftscout's round projections.

Here's what I came up with:

• Round 1:
Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska

Round 2: Jason Worilds DE-OLB Virginia Tech

Round 3: Jarrett Brown QB-ATH West Virginia

Round 3: Marcus Cannon OT Texas Christian

Round 4: Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee

Round 5: Alex Carrington DE-DT Arkansas State

Round 5: Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky

Round 5: Jay Ross DT East Carolina

Round 6: Kyle McCarthy SS Notre Dame

Round 7: David Gettis WR Baylor

Round 7: Walter McFadden CB Auburn

Just a Mock Draft lite.

*I'm holding onto Quinn because of a low cap number, and because I think he'll get an opportunity in the 2nd half to improve. I think he'll stay in Cleveland, and I'm getting rid of Anderson simply because we cannot afford to pay him 7.45 million*

Losses:

Derek Anderson- Next year he makes 7.45 million. Not worth it for a QB who can barely complete 50% of his passes and throws more INT's than TD's, and even Mangini should be able to realize that. Traded to San Fran for a conditional 4th in 2011.

Jamal Lewis- If he doesn't retire, he'll be released.

Steve Heiden- Continuous back problems, will retire.

Hank Poteat- POS is released.

Nick Sorensen- released

Anthony Madison- released

Corey Williams- Traded to Panthers for 4th in 2010.

Billy Cundiff- Released

Ray Ventrone- Released

Ryan Tucker- Retired

Jerome Harrison, D'Qwell Jackson, Brodney Pool, and Lawrence Vickers all retained.

Free Agency:

Sage Rosenfels- Needs to limit turnovers, but throws for a good CP, and is a vet.

Maurice Stovall- Big, physical presence. We have zero WR's above 6'3 and that's Robo, who we don't know anything about.

Ben Watson- We need a true pass catching tight end. He brings us that presence.

Adam Terry- Played RT for the Ravens for a bit. Did a very solid job. They are now solid with Oher and Gaither, however.

Jason Hatcher- Has played consistently for the Cowboys as a rotational DE. Big, physical guy who's got some potential still.

Pierre Woods- An OLB presence who comes back home to Cleveland. A backup in New England right now who gets in nearly every game with the occasional start.

I personally believe the Rams, Buccaneers, Raiders, Chiefs, Panthers and Bills are all worse than us. We get the 7th pick.

2010 NFL Draft

1st- Gerald McCoy, DE, Oklahoma- Suh and Berry are both gone, so I go with the next best defensive player. We have a pressing need for a DE, especially a young one. McCoy and Suh are both amazing players, and McCoy fits the Seymour mold better than anybody I've seen in the last few years.

2nd- Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU- Hughes led the FBS in sacks (15) on the number one ranked defense in 2008. He has fantastic durability, and is quite athletic. But the best thing about him is his instincts and his tackling ability. In the open field, he breaks down for a wrap up tackle and can distinguish run vs. pass better than anybody in the nation.

3rd- Ciron Black, OT, LSU- Black is a big bodied, mauler. He excels in the run game. While his passing game needs work, he's got quick hands and excellent awareness off the snap. He's got a great motor and fantastic work ethic. He's a Mangini guy.

3rd- Anthony McCoy, TE, USC- Very physically gifted player. Great size and solid speed at the tight end position. Can catch the ball over the middle with ease, and is tough. He plays to the whistle.

4th- Justin Woodall, S, Alabama- Woodall is a physical safety with decent ball skills. He's great with covering TE's, and doubling receivers over the top, and doesn't hesitate to go in for the big hit. Good project safety.

4th- Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama- Deaderick, along with Mt. Cody are big reasons why this Alabama defense is top 5 in the nation against the run. He's a physical guy with a lot of upside. He needs to get better laterally, but does a good job playing in space, and with contain.

5th- Zac Robinson, QB, OK State- I actually think Robinson is much better than a 5th round pick, but we'll see. He's an efficient passer who still manages to get it down field to his deeper threats. His 9.76 YPA was among the best in the NCAA last season and so far this season he's at 9.39 YPA. He doesn't turn the ball over that much and has good mobility.

5th- Joe Thomas, OT, Pitt- How sweet would it be to have two Joe Thomas'? All kidding aside, Thomas makes a perfect project at RT. We took Black earlier who could play either RT or RG, and we grab Thomas here to compete for a RT spot. We can't do much worse with St. Clair.

5th- Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee- Watching this guy run behind a barely average Tennessee offensive line can be fun. He has very good vision and once he finds a seam, he doesn't hesitate. He's very physical with legs that don't stop churning.

6th- Will Tukuafu, DE/OLB, Oregon- Tuk is a decent pass rusher with good backside contain. He's not the most athletic guy, and his coverage would be suspect, but he could find himself a spot as a situational pass rusher. Great size and very good against the run.

7th- Shay Hodge, WR, Ole Miss- A WR with decent size that falls due to speed issues. His hands are decent, but he runs crisp routes. Not the most explosive receiver, but he can get the job done.

I agree with most of the draft picks. I hope we go after a bigger name in FA. I two guys who I like is Vince Wolfork from NE I want Corey Williams gone. Also I believe Richard Seymour is a FA after this season. If we add these guys with our draft picks then I'm good ro go.

Here are of guys I want in the draft. I guess their bit under the radar but having great seasons. Inthe later rounds of the draft.

DT Kenrick Ellis - Comparison Used: Shaun Rodgers

Ht: 6-5 Wt: 327

NS: I’ll give you a kid who you’re going to hear more about too. They got a kid at Hampton named (Kenrick) Ellis, goes about 350 but he’s real quick for his size. Our guy down there is convinced he’s gonna come out...(he) calls him a taller Shaun Rogers.

TE Rob Gronkowski - Comparison: Jeremy Shockey

Ht: 6-6 Wt: 250

NS: Our scout out there called him a faster Jeremy Shockey. I’ve only seen him play a couple of times so I’ll stick with that.

AW: The thing with him is, he just exudes “football player” (yes he did actually use the finger-quotes!). I get the feeling he could be a hell of a linebacker if he wanted to be one. Now that he got hurt (back surgery) I would tell him to stay in school, you know, come back strong next year and erase the doubts. He’s every bit as good as Kellen Winslow and he’s not an a**hole. That whole program is getting better and he can really capitalize on that if he comes back.

WR Taylor Price Comparison: Greg Jennings

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 193

AW: Your man Price (I am a proud Ohio graduate!) could really be something. Just like Mike Mitchell (Raiders 2nd rounder) last year. Taylor is big and he can flat-put fly, and he isn’t shy about it either. Nice hands, good blocker. He reminds me of Greg Jennings in a way. Probably not as polished but he’s got potential.

NS: That kid (Price) can really go, lemme tell you. I caught their opener and he just jumps off the tape. That kid can fly and he’s pretty big. He ain’t real tall but he’s solid and he knows how to use his body. I got him for a 3rd round grade right now. You wanna know something? That kid got helped a lot when their QB (Boo Jackson) got hurt. The new QB (Theo Scott) throws a better ball and all that lets (Price) show off more.

OLB Lindsey Witten Comparison: Cliff Avril

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 258

I saw UConn play and they have a defensive end that just jumps out. Lindsey Witten. He’s faster that Cody Brown (former UConn end drafted in the 2nd round at OLB), better in space already. I bet you didn’t know he’s Donte Whitner’s little brother.

JR: I knew he was from Glenville (Cleveland, OH high school) but I did not know he was Whitner’s brother. I saw (Witten) tear up Ohio U. and he reminded me of Cliff Avril.

CB Brandon Ghee

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 191

NS: The best kid we’ve talked about here is Brandon Ghee (Wake Forest CB). He can’t catch a cold but he’s gonna be a real good zone corner. That kid can really bring it and he knows it.

Matt McGuire's 2010 NFL Mock Draft

Saturday, Oct. 17, 2009

6. Cleveland Browns: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

I think Cleveland will stick with Derek Anderson. If Eric Mangini is still around, they will tear apart Bradford and decide that he probably isn't better than what they have now in a big-armed quarterback. However, I could be wrong. Maybe they will learn from passing up on Mark Sanchez since they obviously weren't even remotely sold on Brady Quinn as the "franchise" quarterback on Draft Day.

Eric Berry really helps out a Cleveland defense that desperately needs playmakers. Passing up on the next Ed Reed would be a huge mistake.

I agree about Berry you don't pass up on the next Ed Reed.

38. Cleveland Browns: Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson

Kamerion Wimbley continues to just not play up to his athletic ability and this team needs to make a change at outside linebacker.

I think Wimbley has been having an pretty decent year he just needs to get someone at the other OLB spot. Hopefully Veikune will be able to replace Barton next year, but until then you have to look at the other ILB spot too.

Here is the link to the rest of the draft:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010matt.php

When we're getting good safety play from both guys, Elam and Pool, it doesn't seem like an obvious opportunity to get better. I think a serious linebacker or DE would have a much bigger impact. A corner across from Wright, too.

Your crazy! No way do you pass up on Berry. Ealm and Pool are not different makers and they don't scare anybody. Berry is a force and is a player you can't pass up. That's like saying if we could have Ed Reed you pass because you think Elam and Pool are playing good. Just doesn't make sense.

Archived