THE BROWNS BOARD

2 completions?

Solon16

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
On the flip side.... 9 drops?

The reports I've read is that 13 of the 17 passes hit the receivers in the hands, with 2 of them being very difficult to catch, 9 drops?

:rolleyes:

The reports I've read is that 13 of the 17 passes hit the receivers in the hands, with 2 of them being very difficult to catch, 9 drops?

I have read this too...but then again...here is what I SAW:

Of the 13 that hit receivers in the hands:

2 were caught

3 were out and out dropped (Harrison on a swing pass, MoMass...he jumped up on a ball at his knees, Royal on a beautiful deep ball)

The remaining 8 that are being called drops by the ONE GUY that has been repeated in about a thousand pieces (gee, reporters COPY instead of doing research??? Really???) were

Behind the receiver where they were actually almost defending against INT's

Worm burners that the receiver somehow got a hand on

Thrown too early....the receiver never saw it as the timing just wasn't there yet.

Literally, they hit the hands...but it isn't a drop unless a receiver SHOULD be EXPECTED to make the catch. Not just because through contortionistic maneuvers managed to touch it.

Add into this the fact that even Mangini mentioned that some of the balls were too hot (thrown to hard at close range) and just getting your fingers on the ball cannot be determined to be a drop.

This attempt to make the performance BETTER than it was just drives me crazy. The facts speak for themselves. DA is not an overly accurate QB...and has a tendency to throw the ball too hard (especially when the wind gives him an excuse to do so)...and that adds up to a lot of balls hitting receivers hands in AWKWARD positions that lead to incompletions.

THESE ARE NOT DROPS! They are poorly placed passes with too much zip that a receiver couldn't handle unless he had superglue exuding from his pores!!!

Guest ATENEARS
I have read this too...but then again...here is what I SAW:

Of the 13 that hit receivers in the hands:

2 were caught

3 were out and out dropped (Harrison on a swing pass, MoMass...he jumped up on a ball at his knees, Royal on a beautiful deep ball)

The remaining 8 that are being called drops by the ONE GUY that has been repeated in about a thousand pieces (gee, reporters COPY instead of doing research??? Really???) were

Behind the receiver where they were actually almost defending against INT's

Worm burners that the receiver somehow got a hand on

Thrown too early....the receiver never saw it as the timing just wasn't there yet.

Literally, they hit the hands...but it isn't a drop unless a receiver SHOULD be EXPECTED to make the catch. Not just because through contortionistic maneuvers managed to touch it.

Add into this the fact that even Mangini mentioned that some of the balls were too hot (thrown to hard at close range) and just getting your fingers on the ball cannot be determined to be a drop.

This attempt to make the performance BETTER than it was just drives me crazy. The facts speak for themselves. DA is not an overly accurate QB...and has a tendency to throw the ball too hard (especially when the wind gives him an excuse to do so)...and that adds up to a lot of balls hitting receivers hands in AWKWARD positions that lead to incompletions.

THESE ARE NOT DROPS! They are poorly placed passes with too much zip that a receiver couldn't handle unless he had superglue exuding from his pores!!!

Great examples WPBDawg ... here's two more that happened recently

End Zone INT, ball thrown hot toward the shoe laces against Cincy ... someone caught it. Let's sign that guy!

Deep throw that was off-target that required a diving catch in Buffalo ... again, someone caught it. Let's sign him too.

Poor receivers, they had to actually attempt to make a catch.

This is not important Drunk. What matters is that DA only completed two passes. The reason behind them doesn't matter unless it's Brady and then its all a matter of the recievers not getting open and the one of the best O-lines in the league sucking Or the teams we played were hard to play against. Oh, and the recievers and coaches are setting Brady up to look bad. We did win last week but does it really matter? When DA has numbers like that Quinnies smell blood and suddenly develope tunnel vision and come in for the kill. Usually they miss, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

PS. If you watch the game tape, DA did EVERYTHING a QB needs to do to win a game. The numbers just do not matter.

Dear Daboll,

Thank you SOOO much for sticking to the run in a close game like that. It wasn't too long ago that one, Rob Chudzinski was throwing it 48 times in conditions very similiar to that and gameplanned us right out of the playoffs. So thank you Brian Daboll and the coaching staff for keeping your cool and getting out with a win.

Signed,

Browns fans

Guest Masters

End Zone INT, ball thrown hot toward the shoe laces against Cincy ... someone caught it. Let's sign that guy!

Deep throw that was off-target that required a diving catch in Buffalo ... again, someone caught it. Let's sign him too.

:rolleyes:

Ate...on the End Zone INT....gee, the guy was actually FACING DA when the ball was thrown...therefore he was able to get his BODY in front of it....not just his fingers.

Diving catch in Buffalo....again....we are not talking a RIFLE pass, but a nice long arcing pass...that a WR can adjust to.

See, you take out the part that doesn't fit...the fact that DA has no touch. Off target a touch is OK if the WR has a chance to SEE IT or to MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO IT...but if they are 5-10 yards away, don't see it and/or have to make adjustments to a 100 mph fastball...it isn't very likely.

Add into that equation the fact that it was mostly rooks playing with little time working with the QB...and it adds up to 2/17.

But thanks for playing.

This is not important Drunk. What matters is that DA only completed two passes. The reason behind them doesn't matter unless it's Brady and then its all a matter of the recievers not getting open and the one of the best O-lines in the league sucking Or the teams we played were hard to play against. Oh, and the recievers and coaches are setting Brady up to look bad. We did win last week but does it really matter? When DA has numbers like that Quinnies smell blood and suddenly develope tunnel vision and come in for the kill. Usually they miss, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

PS. If you watch the game tape, DA did EVERYTHING a QB needs to do to win a game. The numbers just do not matter.

Dear Daboll,

Thank you SOOO much for sticking to the run in a close game like that. It wasn't too long ago that one, Rob Chudzinski was throwing it 48 times in conditions very similiar to that and gameplanned us right out of the playoffs. So thank you Brian Daboll and the coaching staff for keeping your cool and getting out with a win.

Signed,

Browns fans

If Brady was 2/17 I would call him out too. Period. I just don't buy that EVERY WR the Browns draft suffers from the dropsies. Much more logical to go with the common thread...the QB.

Guest Masters
It wasn't too long ago that one, Rob Chudzinski was throwing it 48 times in conditions very similiar to that and gameplanned us right out of the playoffs. So thank you Brian Daboll and the coaching staff for keeping your cool and getting out with a win.

Signed,

Browns fans

Yet DA completed more passes in that game. Edwards was able to complete more than 2 passes this past weekend.

Yes, the coaching staff had a lot to do w/ that win against BUF :rolleyes:

I see reports swinging between 'the wind' and 'receivers'. It can't be both - if it hit them in the hands, then it's the receivers or the QB throwing the ball.

Trent Edwards was able to maintain >50% completions, and he had drops too. And fearsome pressure all day - something that DA didn't have.

Its just comical that DA has balls dropped by, what, 5 or 6 different receivers and people are still trying to make the case that he should have had a 11 or 12 for 17 day.

What a joke.

Does this QB have responsibility for any of the results on the field? Oh, wait, just the good ones. You know, Lum's ole "29 TD" mantra or the newest "the team played with heart" or the most recent "hey, we won with DA at the helm!".

Got it.

Keep in mind that while the dropsies were affecting nearly every Browns receiver there wasn't anywhere near the same problem for Buffalo. So, it wasn't the conditions (wind, etc) and it wasn't a notorious ball dropper (Remember, Edwards was dropping a TD pass for the Jets last night).

Finally, give DA half the drops and he's still just 6 for 17 for probably 70 yards. Buffalo's defense was decimated by injuries and played pretty horrifically. 6 for 17? Ouch. 2 for 17? Brutal.

Meanwhile, Braylon Edwards caught some beautiful passes last night from an INTELLIGENT, ATHLETIC QB, and had one drop

on a longer pass but was interfered with and had to dive for it.

And I think DA can't possibly throw so incredibly hard on short throws and be a smart, athletic qb.

I swear we'll have a new starter next year, and maybe a new starter soon.

Anderson stares down his receivers, putting them in jeapardy, throws into coverage, throws with way too much

force on short throws and is inaccurate a lot of the time, doesn't seem to give frick and isn't very mobile because he has bigfoot feet...

and we still have DA defenders here? ROF,L !

Just grow the offense, the qb will come. (I would trade for Kolb of the Eagles in a New York second at this point)

I thought our QB had nice touch here ... I bet you did too!

INCOMPLETE PASS !

What does an incomplete pass by Brady Quinn have to do with DA??? They could BOTH suck for all I know.

Guest ATENEARS
What does an incomplete pass by Brady Quinn have to do with DA??? They could BOTH suck for all I know.

I wasn't talking about the QB, I was talking about the touch on the ball, the receiver facing the QB, hit in the hands and right between the numbers. Ironically, this video was labeled, "Should have been Brady Quinns first TD"

Apparently only DB's are expected to catch such passes from DA. Holding our WR's to a little higher standard would be asking too much.

Someone mentioned Trent Edwards, again I ask all to go back and look at T.O.'s first three catches. The first he went up high, snatching it out of the air with his hands, got popped and held-on. The second he made a diving grab, getting his knees down just inbounds. The third he was on the run and hit right on the finger tips, very similar to how DA put it on Stuckeys fingers across the middle, T.O. hauled it in and Adams made a nice tackle on him short of the sticks.

We had guys hit perfectly in-stride deep, right between the numbers on out patterns, right on the hands crossing the middle and everywhere else and not a single catch between them.

I put the blame on DA as well for the hard throws that are behind receivers crossing the middle at full speed. But anyone who boasts about the 'Only 2 completions' to mock Anderson without bringing up the 4-6 passes that hit our receivers right in their hands, is a bias moron.

I can watch the video above and easily state that the ball Brady Quinn threw should have been caught. No way, would I blame Quinn on that pass.

Thanks for playing though.

Guest ATENEARS
Well that's the bread and butter play for the DA fags, whenever they are backed into a corner and can't explain away DA's suckage they go to the good ol "But but but....Quinn sucks too!!!" Card....

Lame...

Actually ... it was a BQ fag that said that.

And I noted at least 3 drops...so even if there were 2-3 more, we are still looking at 8/17 at best. And this is against a team that has one of the WORST pass defenses. Going in they were giving up over 200 yards a game, they had only 3 INT's, they had given up 6 TD's via the pass in 4 games. They had also given up a 61.7% completion rate.

So even an 8/17 game is HORRENDOUS for that game. And that is assuming ZERO drops. There are at least 1-2 in every game for EVERY TEAM!!!

Call it what it is...DA is NOT accurate. DA is does NOT have touch. DA does NOT lead his receivers across the middle. These are all well documented TRUTHS about DA.

I said before the game I thought he had a real chance to prove himself after the decent game he had vs Cinci...but he DIDN'T!

So, if everyone is going off on a league WORST 2/17 performance (even with a few drops)...it is PERFECTLY UNDERSTANDABLE (and has nothing to do with BQ).

Listen Ate, you can relax, other than PGL, and that qbguru fag, nobody is clamoring for BQ to be inserted back into the lineup. It's DA or bust baby, but we are going to be critical of his mistakes until he has a few big games strung together, so far that hasn't happened.

Well said.

If Brady was 2/17 I would call him out too. Period. I just don't buy that EVERY WR the Browns draft suffers from the dropsies. Much more logical to go with the common thread...the QB.

I know there are exceptions to the "Quinnies" I was just a lil' upset.

Drops are drops. I see other teams' QBs rifle throws from 10 yards away and their guys catch em everyday, every game. In fact, Big Gay Ben did just that to Hines Ward on Sunday and he brought it in and scored. It is true that some QBs throw a more catchable ball but that typically means it's a nice spiral. Even if it's a knuckle ball, you should NEVER have 8 drops in a game. On Sunday, DA's throw were as tight as they could have been in that wind and so the drops were all on the recievers.

Here's what I propose. Since Eric Wright is a TERRIBLE cover guy and tackler yet shows good hands, why not put Adams or Francies over there and use Eric Wright as our slot reciever in the 3 WR set? His hero is Deion Sanders and Neon did some time on the offense. Plus, he refuses to go down when he has the ball in his hands. It makes more sense than Cribbs at RB or *gulp* Safety *barf*.

PS. If DA's passes were so hard to catch, how come defenders seem to have no problem catching them whenever they come to them? It's the recievers.

Guest ATENEARS

Browns' dropped passes get no excuse

By Marla Ridenour

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 08:58 p.m. EDT, Oct 12, 2009

BEREA: The ring finger on Browns tight end Robert Royal's right hand is bent so grotesquely that he has to tape it to his pinky on game days. He seems headed for ligament repair surgery after the season, if not sooner.

But Royal wouldn't use that as an excuse for his two dropped passes in Sunday's 6-3 victory over the Buffalo Bills in Ralph Wilson Stadium, where the wind was gusting up to 35 mph.

''I don't care if it moves left or right, up or down, I've still got to have it,'' Royal said. ''At the end of the day, I'm not one to make excuses. I'm a lot better than that. I have to make it happen.''

Coach Eric Mangini wasn't making any excuses, either, after quarterback Derek Anderson completed just 2 of 17 attempts for 23 yards and Browns receivers dropped at least eight passes.

Press box observers gave Royal, rookie receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and running back Jerome Harrison two drops apiece and receivers Chansi Stuckey and Joshua Cribbs one each. Today, Mangini wouldn't reveal the number he came up with, saying receivers coach George McDonald and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll differed.

''But it was way too high,'' Mangini said.

Mangini vowed to make the problem a point of emphasis going into Sunday's game at Pittsburgh.

''Wind played a part in it,'' Mangini said. ''Some of the throws could have been better. Some of them were a function of not looking the ball into the tuck, trying to run. A couple times guys were more worried with what was going to happen after the catch than securing the catch. There were some throws that were right on target, we had great opportunities for and we didn't bring it in.

''We're going to wear out that JUGS machine, we're going to get a billion balls there, they're going to get a lot of balls from D.A. We're going to conscientiously continue to improve there because we can't leave those opportunities on the field.''

Some might question why Royal is playing with his finger injury, which he said he suffered on the second day of training camp. He was signed in March eight days after being released by Buffalo, when tight end Steve Heiden was still a question mark after major knee surgery in December. According to a tally by Stats LLC (through Sunday's games) on the Washington Post's Web site, Royal is second in the league in dropped passes with four.

On Sunday, Royal couldn't hold on to Anderson's best throw of the day. Going into the wind in the third quarter, on first and 10 from the Browns 49, Anderson hit Royal in stride in between two defenders at the Bills' 23. The week before in a 23-20 overtime loss to Cincinnati, an Anderson ball hit Royal in the face mask when he wasn't looking. That came with 27 seconds left from the Bengals' 40 on the final drive of regulation.

Asked about Royal's bad finger, Mangini said, ''It's not pretty at all. Robert cares deeply about what he's doing; it affects him. He never wants to let his teammates down. He never wants to be in that position. The finger I don't think helps him. But he wants to be out there, he wants to play, he wants to contribute. He'll work on doing everything he can to make sure he does the next time he has a chance to.''

To his credit, Royal made no excuses in Buffalo.

''Robert would never do that, that's not how he is,'' Mangini said. ''He's very hard on himself from that perspective in a good way. I've seen him catch a lot of difficult balls, I've seen him adjust well to balls. I've seen it both as his coach and as an opponent.''

Not budging on Davis

Ok, so let's say that you get half of those, or let's say 4 of those back. That's 6/17, still a shitty shitty day by any sane persons standards.

Listen Ate, you can relax, other than PGL, and that qbguru fag, nobody is clamoring for BQ to be inserted back into the lineup. It's DA or bust baby, but we are going to be critical of his mistakes until he has a few big games strung together, so far that hasn't happened.

I think if he did go 6/17 in those weather conditions not only would it have been more than acceptable, it would have lead to probably 10-14 more points. Hypothetical of course, but nowhere near a shitty day.

I think if he did go 6/17 in those weather conditions not only would it have been more than acceptable, it would have lead to probably 10-14 more points. Hypothetical of course, but nowhere near a shitty day.

Apologist bullshit. 4 completions would have led to 14 points? Possible, but highly improbable. Its more likely a subsequent incompletion on 3rd down would have ended the drive in a punt.

Look, when the common denomonator is the QB you have to pass some blame his way. Pretty simple.

Unreal.

Playing strictly by the number percentages, 4 more completions would have meant 2 more interceptions as well.

You're right - it probably would have been 10-14 points. For the other team.

Archived