THE BROWNS BOARD

African Americans and their "civil rights"

DTBH

After 96% of them voted for Barack Obama (which makes me want to pose the question to each and every one of them, "What would you say if 96% of whites voted for McCain?), 70% of them voted AGAINST gay marraige in California.

Talk about hypocritical. Vote for civil rights for blacks and against civil rights for gays. Odd.

After 96% of them voted for Barack Obama.

Yes. We get it.

Vote for civil rights for blacks and against civil rights for gays.

It's complicated, don't you think?

Religion gets in the way here and fucks everything up...folks throw "civil rights" out the window when the Bible tells 'em to.

My feeling is, for those who follow the word of the Bible, gay rights do not equal civil rights. Homosexuality is a sin, right? Those people deserve no civil rights whatsoever...right? It's utterly ridiculous.

Sorry, Bible dudes. Something stinks.

The argument is that gays have the same rights as everyone else because they could marry a woman if they wanted to just like anyone else. No one else can marry someone of the same sex and gays can't either. It's not so much of a discrimination issue in the eyes of the law looking at it from this angle.

Great analogies Steve...

Isn't there a difference between two concenting adults getting together and you marrying a 14 year old "Retard?"

No even though you're purposely mixing ther metaphors.

Why is it wrong to marry a 14 year old?

You can list all the reasons you think matter and then say "but it IS legal to marry a severely Retarded 18 year old."

Just asking why; not really advocating either.

WSS

Well...people underage and people who are mentally Retarded lack the individual adult judgement to make those decisions for themselves. I think that's part of that.

If neither party is being "injusticed," I really don't think their should be a law against marrying anyone you want. I'm not gay, don't get me wrong. But I haven't been wronged one time by Ellen Degeneres and Portia Derossi getting married. People only care what others are doing for their own best interests. They have to have the "sanctity of marraige" garbage to validate their OWN lives, which is where all this hatred stems from. The more people getting married in non-traditional ways, the less marriage is important and idealized. Then the "sanctity of marriage" thing crumbles and people can't deal with that. They need that meaning. They need that structure in their life. If people didn't place such a stake in what marraige stands for, none of this would arise. Religion is part of that belief. But I also believe it's just human nature to want the structure, importance, and sanctity of things that go on in their own lives as opposed to others' lives.

Guest BillyJack

this is more liberal whining, queers shouldn't get any preferential treatment. and they should not get married, they cant pro-create!

get back in your closet!

Perversion is perversion. We don't want to hear about the defination of what "is" is.

Pathetic, cal. Even for a pathetic soul like yourself. Who the f are you to tell me, or anyone, what they should be doing? This is exactly the closed-minded shit that is dying out in subsequent generations. Thank God...

BTW, the African American disdain for homosexuality, well known and deeply rooted, IS actually a double standard and very worthy of discussion in my humble opinion.

Absolutely.

Gay marriage will be okey-dokey in ten years and won't even be any big discussion point. There's just no reason for any straight person to give a shit if two gay guys or two lesbians want to get married. No reason at all.

are you one of those clinton dont ask dont tell queers?

even the blacks dont approve of that queer shit!

icon_twisted.gif

Well, perversion is perversion.

That goes for all kinds of perversion.

Some liberals will defend it as a "right" -

"it won't stop so you may as well legalize it" ???

Have some of you libs completely lost your ability to THINK ? COMPLETELY ?

But Gays do have the same rights and limitations as everyone else. They can marry a single woman if they want. Just like everyone else. They can't marry another person of the same sex.. same as everyone else.

This isn't a civil rights issue or equal protection issue, at all. The only hope that gay marriage proponents have is to sway public opinion in their favor and have the definition of marriage changed.

But Gays do have the same rights and limitations as everyone else. They can marry a single woman if they want. Just like everyone else. They can't marry another person of the same sex.. same as everyone else.

This isn't a civil rights issue or equal protection issue, at all. The only hope that gay marriage proponents have is to sway public opinion in their favor and have the definition of marriage changed.

PE that's an incredibly astute take.

Kudos.

WSS

They don't have the right to marry who they want. Straight people do have that right. So there are two ways to look at it. Why do straight people get to own the word and designation "marraige?" Use a little bit of freaking logic here. Techinally they do have the right to marry women just as anyone else, but they don't want to.

What if there was a law stating that people were only allowed to wear Steelers gear? Technically everyone would have the same rights, but it would be insanely unfair to fans of any other team.

The rights are equal, but they are not fair.

They don't have the right to marry who they want. Straight people do have that right. So there are two ways to look at it. Why do straight people get to own the word and designation "marraige?" Use a little bit of freaking logic here. Techinally they do have the right to marry women just as anyone else, but they don't want to.

What if there was a law stating that people were only allowed to wear Steelers gear? Technically everyone would have the same rights, but it would be insanely unfair to fans of any other team.

The rights are equal, but they are not fair.

Not really. Straight people can't marry a man if they wanted (see chuck and larry.) I didn't say it was fair or just. It wasn't straight people that got to define marriage, everyone got to vote on the issue, so everyone had a say in defining it. Majority does rule on certain issues in this representative democracy. I'm just saying that's the way it is. Arguing that this is a civil rights issue will not get proponents of gay marriage anywhere. Public opinion needs to be changed so they can have anoher vote and repeal the ammendments.

And no one has the right to marry ANYONE they want. I'm sure some pedohiles would love to marry an eight year old. I'm sure some immoral people would love to marry their sister or brother or their mistress.

Archived