THE BROWNS BOARD

Addition By Subtraction

Furnier

Alot of talk of late about "blowing up" the team and starting over.

I don't agree with that. I think there's enough talent here right now to field a playoff team. Due to moronic coaching decisions and several underperforming players...that ain't gonna happen.

So here's my question. What players are we better off without? Cut 'em tomorrow and move up a guy from the practice squad to take his place.

I'll start.

Andra Davis.

No way are we worse off if that waste of space is driving a street sweeper tomorrow.

Doug

Guest Masters

Davis (but his contract is up after this year).

Cousins

Shaffer

C. Williams

Willie McGinest (not that he is playing that bad - not saying great either)

DA

L. Williams

Guest ATENEARS

I'm mostly worried about the attitude (or lack of) surrounding the current players on this team. I'm afraid we've sunken to that "loser-attitude" again, where it is much easier to cop-out and find every way imaginable to lose, rather fight with an attitude that no matter what, we are going to win this dame play/series/quarter/half/game/division/league.

We have a long way to go in that department and haven't made the slightest dent there since returning to the league.

With that in mind, loser's such as Braylon Edwards would be nice to swipe off the books. Me first guys like Winslow might be worst off here than not.

Jamal Lewis is a fighter and winner, too bad McGinest is at the end of his rope because he's been there before, as well as Joe J. Brady Quinn probably has some fight in him ... but the rest can kiss my ass and are a bunch of losers.

(Note: Phil Dawson for Mayor!)

I agree furn i see no need for a complete player rebuild however the entire coaching staff on both sides of the ball desperately needs a complete overhaul...

Problem is i dont think lerner has the ability to hire a real coach you know.. a tuff self motivated individual that knows how to win,evaluate talent and bring a self motivated staff to accommodate so we are likely screwed either way...

Cam Wimbley is a bust this guy gets beat up by running backs...

I'd shop Winslow & Edwards, see what kind of draft picks we'd get. Andre Davis may also bring us a 4th or 5th round choice. The problem I see with dumping Edwards is we'd have to find another receiver on draft day, and we have too many holes to fill, especially on defense, to draft another one.

I'm all for getting a new punter as well, Zastudil never goes for the coffin corner, it's almost always a touchback when we punt from midfield.

I don't think we can trade winslow. Him and brady are going to be too big of a dynamic. Edwards I think we need to get maximum value out of. He doesnt want to be here, he's an egomaniac and a me-first guy. I could see DA and Edwards in a packaged deal for a LB and pick or just picks.

Is it just me or do our Fullbacks not open any holes at all for Jamal?

Remember the days of Lorenzo Neal making LT what he was?

Vickers has been out for 2 games, right? Nearly went to the pro-bowl last year. I don't think Ali is the blocker that Vickers is. I'd be willing to bet JL gets a few more yds after a bump or two once Lawrence is back in the lineup. Also makes another nice option for a screen (and pass blocking) with Harrison on the field (if Harrisons poor blocking knock is still a problem).

Guest Masters
Davis (but his contract is up after this year).

Cousins

Shaffer

C. Williams

Willie McGinest (not that he is playing that bad - not saying great either)

DA

L. Williams

That a good list right there.

As for Edwards and Winslow, I'd like to see how they look with Quinn at the helm before making a decision on either one.

Me perosnally? I really don't see what Jason Wright adds to the team, other than a guy to stick in there when Lewis needs a rest. Keep Harrison, and draft some running backs.

I almost put Wright on that list.

Guest Masters
I'd shop Winslow & Edwards, see what kind of draft picks we'd get. Andre Davis may also bring us a 4th or 5th round choice. The problem I see with dumping Edwards is we'd have to find another receiver on draft day, and we have too many holes to fill, especially on defense, to draft another one.

I'm all for getting a new punter as well, Zastudil never goes for the coffin corner, it's almost always a touchback when we punt from midfield.

Davis's contract is up at seasons end. He redid his deal, took a pay cut, and it was shorted to end this year.

Guest Masters

Vickers has been out for 2 games, right? Nearly went to the pro-bowl last year. I don't think Ali is the blocker that Vickers is. I'd be willing to bet JL gets a few more yds after a bump or two once Lawrence is back in the lineup. Also makes another nice option for a screen (and pass blocking) with Harrison on the field (if Harrisons poor blocking knock is still a problem).

Beat me to it on Vickers. Ali is also still developing, much like Vickers was a few years ago.

Beat me to it on Vickers. Ali is also still developing, much like Vickers was a few years ago.

not only that...but it takes a learned 'timing' between the FB and RB to make it effective. Right now Ali and JL don't have that timing down yet. JL knows what Vickers is going to do so can anticipate...he is still finding that with Ali.

Guest Masters
I pointed out the absence of Vickers in the thread many of us were using to try and educate Sev.

I think Vicker will absolutely flourish with Quinn as the QB. He's already a monster blocking back and his athleticism will be leveraged with Quinn's checkdown ability.

And you are likely dead on. He has shown ability to make catches out of the back field.

corey williams can stay. he's in his first year in a new system and has been hurt. we can't judge him by what rogers has been doing. shaun's a game-changing, soul-eating monster. williams is, at best, a poor man's richard seymour, and that's at his best. 3-4 end is really just the exact opposite of a glory position. they're really just there to take up space and blockers. he needs time to learn the position.

the following should be gone:

andra davis

darnell dinkins (dude is a walking holding penalty)

kris griffin

jamal lewis (has hit the end: looks like shaun alexander did last year)

willie mcginest

leon williams

antwan peek (if you can't play, you get no contract)

i'm not sure about wimbley. yes, he has potential, but he plays like shit every week. can new coaches get more out of him? dear god, i hope so.

Guest Masters
Didn't realize A Davis was a free agent, so I'm sure he's a goner. Too bad, his first few seasons, he was pretty good.

He just doesn't really fit the 3-4, no matter how hard they try to fit that peg in the whole. His best years were in the 4-3.

Yeah, in the offseason CLE voided the final 2 years of the 5 year deal he signed back in DEC of 05'.

My list will included:

All the Linebackers except, Hall,Wim,Jackson....Jackson on a very very very short leash. Got to see Bell to know what we might have.

Frayley...decent center but we need a stud.

Jamal lewis had phenominal year last year....Have to draft a stud runner or see what harrison can do on the reg.

Stallworth...no play, no $...."glassman"

I'll keep pool and Jones but we need a "real starter at safety.

I'd keep bmac(nickle back),wright and kid from LSU(trade) scrap the rest.

We have options at TE....

DA would be a perfect back-up but $ dictates his release

Archived