THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Moments in Analysis

dencyguy

After Phil Fulmer was essentially fired this week, the news here in Knoxville was how angry the team was, how they were going to try to win our for their coach and get to a bowl game, etc. And then they lost to Wyoming. In a game where they were favored by four touchdowns.

Allow me to repeat the relevant part of the last paragraph: And then they lost to Wyoming. On Homecoming. In a game where the offense absolutely laid down. They just plain quit. Against Wyoming--a team that warmed up for the game by beating a team (San Diego State) that was bad enough to lose to Notre Dame, which broke a five-game losing streak in which they had been outscored 207-30 (and no, I'm not making that up--you can look it up if you'd like).

Obviously, if Fulmer hadn't already been fired, the AD would have had no choice but to do so after this game. So it was kind of interesting to watch the weekly re-cap show, in which Fulmer and some local hack go over the game play-by-play to see what happened. At one point--and I am not making this up--Tennessee ran no fewer than six consecutive draw plays. That elicited the following brilliant exchange:

Local Hack: So, coach--it looks like you're trying to establish the run here.

Phil Fulmer: Yeah, we thought that would be important to what we were doing in the game.

Bear in mind that they were already losing. To Wyoming. Having received the opening kickoff and trailing by a touchdown within five minutes of kickoff. I swear, if it hadn't already happened, I would have been standing there thinking, "Now this is a guy who a) is tired of the constant "Fire the coach" chants and Krispie Kreme jokes (sound familiar?) and who B) has a $6 million buyout.

Dennis

After Phil Fulmer was essentially fired this week, the news here in Knoxville was how angry the team was, how they were going to try to win our for their coach and get to a bowl game, etc. And then they lost to Wyoming. In a game where they were favored by four touchdowns.

Allow me to repeat the relevant part of the last paragraph: And then they lost to Wyoming. On Homecoming. In a game where the offense absolutely laid down. They just plain quit. Against Wyoming--a team that warmed up for the game by beating a team (San Diego State) that was bad enough to lose to Notre Dame, which broke a five-game losing streak in which they had been outscored 207-30 (and no, I'm not making that up--you can look it up if you'd like).

Obviously, if Fulmer hadn't already been fired, the AD would have had no choice but to do so after this game. So it was kind of interesting to watch the weekly re-cap show, in which Fulmer and some local hack go over the game play-by-play to see what happened. At one point--and I am not making this up--Tennessee ran no fewer than six consecutive draw plays. That elicited the following brilliant exchange:

Local Hack: So, coach--it looks like you're trying to establish the run here.

Phil Fulmer: Yeah, we thought that would be important to what we were doing in the game.

Bear in mind that they were already losing. To Wyoming. Having received the opening kickoff and trailing by a touchdown within five minutes of kickoff. I swear, if it hadn't already happened, I would have been standing there thinking, "Now this is a guy who a) is tired of the constant "Fire the coach" chants and Krispie Kreme jokes (sound familiar?) and who B) has a $6 million buyout.

Dennis

Hmmmm.. How much is RAC's buyout?

Archived