THE BROWNS BOARD

Haloti Ngata

titleist585

Yeah, we actually "LET" Baltimore get in front of us to take this guy..We let them trade up to move in front of us...that may have been Phils dumbest move ever.... when we needed a nose tackle to man our 3-4 and we had him in our hand and let him go to Baltimore..

Yeah, we actually "LET" Baltimore get in front of us to take this guy..We let them trade up to move in front of us...that may have been Phils dumbest move ever.... when we needed a nose tackle to man our 3-4 and we had him in our hand and let him go to Baltimore..

I forgot about that. We did get Babatunde Oshinowo. Now I think it was worth it.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, drafting Wimbley over Ngata wasn't a good move.

Then again, Romeo wanted a pass rusher, and Kalimba Edwards chose to stay in Detroit. So we were pretty desperate come draft time.

In a way, we're in the same position going into this draft as we were in '06: looking for both an inside & an outside guy.

Hopefully, we'll be able to fill one of those spots with a veteran FA. I'm watching the Dolphins-Seahawks game right now, and Channing Crowder looks really good as a 3-4 ILB. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Browns uniform.

Yeah, drafting Wimbley over Ngata wasn't a good move.

Then again, Romeo wanted a pass rusher, and Kalimba Edwards chose to stay in Detroit. So we were pretty desperate come draft time.

In a way, we're in the same position going into this draft as we were in '06: looking for both an inside & an outside guy.

Hopefully, we'll be able to fill one of those spots with a veteran FA. I'm watching the Dolphins-Seahawks game right now, and Channing Crowder looks really good as a 3-4 ILB. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Browns uniform.

Aren't Bart Scott, Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs all free agents this year? Maybe we can snag either Suggs or Scott?

Ngata is playing DT in a 4-3 defense. That is a far cry from play NT in a 3-4. The skill sets are way different. There is no guarantee that Ngata would have been a good NT in the 3-4.

I think he plays many positions. I think Baltimore moves people around alot and lines up in both a 4-3 and 3-4 . He actually played a little LB early in the year when I was watching a game. The Baltimore website lists him as a nose tackle for what it's worth.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/P ... Chart.aspx

Guest Aloysius
Aren't Bart Scott, Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs all free agents this year? Maybe we can snag either Suggs or Scott?
There are rumors that Lewis is close to signing a new deal with Baltimore.

Suggs and Bart Scott should be available, but they'll also be pretty expensive. I'm guessing that Crowder will be much cheaper, and I'm not convinced that Scott would be significantly better than him.

But if Savage hires Rex Ryan to be our new HC, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys ends up in Cleveland.

Guest Masters
Ngata is playing DT in a 4-3 defense. That is a far cry from play NT in a 3-4. The skill sets are way different. There is no guarantee that Ngata would have been a good NT in the 3-4.

I was about to say.... Factor in the supporting cast in BALT vs. CLE. It's no sure bet. Hind sight is always 20/20

Wow does it suck to see Haloti Ngata play as well as he is today. Especially when Kamerion is playing like a little girl.

As a former member of Camp Ngata, I totally agree. And Wimbley only has his 1 move outside.

If we didn't draft Wimpley and had picked Ngata, we wouldn't have to have traded CB Leigh Bodden for a Good Nose Tackle.

Yet another guy who fell out of the first couple of rounds I was screaming for Phil to pick.

That motherfucker never listens...

Guest Aloysius

Yet another guy who fell out of the first couple of rounds I was screaming for Phil to pick.

That motherfucker never listens...

icon_lol.gif I'll take Crowder, Bradley, and Jameel McClain any day.

If we end up signing Crowder, I hope one of the reporters at the presser asks Savage, "Hey Phil, do you regret drafting Charlie Frye instead of this guy?"

Spending a ton of money on Suggs sounds like a great idea. I mean, he's been great in Baltimore's defense, hasn't missed a game due to injury, and will be sure to command top dollar on the open market.

Sounds kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. . . Oh wait, sounds like Gary Baxter, that's right!!!

But regarding the Wimbley vs. Ngata deal, Wimbley was exactly what we needed in year 1, a force in the pass-rush. But he has since fallen off. Is that Savage's fault? Or is it the coaches fault? And who is to say that Ngata would have suffered the same slow demise into mediocraty under our coaching staff?

I'd be willing to bet that Wimbley would be heading back for a return trip to the Pro Bowl had he been drafted by Baltimore, and we'd be sitting here upset that we took Ngata instead of Wimbley, and hoping to sign him to big dollars when he becomes a free agent.

baxter would've been good if he could've played ever. it's lecharles bentley syndrome. you can't discount signing players from baltimore because we had one bust from them. JLew has been alright, more or less what we expected him to be. he's slowed down this year, but that's what happens with RBs.

is signing free agents a gamble? yes. but there are only so many guys who can get to the QB and suggs is one of them. while baltimore's schemes have certainly helped him, he still had to be the one to go out there and execute.

Guest Masters
in this case, then, do you think the reward (or potential reward) is worth the sizable risk it'll take to get him here? i sure a hell do. suggs and rogers could make even wimbley effective.

I would think the risk reward is worth it. Just like it was with the Rogers trade, Williams trade, and signing Stallworth.

Archived