THE BROWNS BOARD

Martial Law

Doesn't the last line of her story sort of invalidate the whole story?

And isn't her headline - and yours - a bit paranoid? Do you not suspect that the military has contingencies for a post-WMD event? Do you think that they shouldn't?

I think that they should.

This is what the military does - prepare for every situation they can think of being even remotely likely. Ex: there are war plans on the books for invading just about every country you can think of us possibly invading. That doesn't mean Lou Dobbs should run a story with the headline "Invading Taiwan?" or that we should be worried that we're going to invade Taiwan.

Doesn't the last line of her story sort of invalidate the whole story?

And isn't her headline - and yours - a bit paranoid? Do you not suspect that the military has contingencies for a post-WMD event? Do you think that they shouldn't?

I think that they should.

This is what the military does - prepare for every situation they can think of being even remotely likely. Ex: there are war plans on the books for invading just about every country you can think of us possibly invading. That doesn't mean Lou Dobbs should run a story with the headline "Invading Taiwan?" or that we should be worried that we're going to invade Taiwan.

Oh, the army clarified that is not what is was for. Glad we cleared that one up (after 4 weeks of no comment).

Preparing for what? WMD. In rural Kentucky, PA and Ohio? I think that is the first place a terrorist attack would happen again - Newport, Kentucky. Ok, got it.

It would be paranoia under Bush. Or Clinton. or Reagan. Or Carter. Or Nixon or Johnson, or JFK.

Or Ford.

Not under Obama, so much.

But, Heck, at least you didn't diss CNN like you would have dissed Fox News for the same story.

I don't understand your point, Kosar. You're saying this unit could only respond to the places you mentioned?

First, because training for WMD attacks on our major cities (killing as many people at once as you can, terrorism 101) should be done in Newport, Kentucky. Secondly, it's against the Posse Comitatus Act. Unconstitutional.

The music is gay, but you get the point.

First, because training for WMD attacks on our major cities (killing as many people at once as you can, terrorism 101) should be done in Newport, Kentucky. Secondly, it's against the Posse Comitatus Act. Unconstitutional.

The music is gay, but you get the point.

So are we suppose to be afraid of Fat Chops there?

I still don't get what you mean. You're saying that they shouldn't be training in Newport, but in a place where terrorism is more likely to occur, but that they shouldn't be doing it anyway because it's unconstitutional? What's wrong with training them for this eventuality, and then deploying them in the event of a massive WMD attack? The tactics aren't any different because the buildings are bigger somewhere else.

Would you maintain that the Homeland Security function that these troops would be serving is in violation of the Act? I don't think it is.

If they're performing - or training to perform - some sort of every day law enforcement tactic I'd agree with you, but they're not.

OH, this is silly.

Maybe I -should- go find my pictures of the national guard at Kent State on May 4, 1970,

and post them on our board....

"sigh"

This is evidence of what the National Guard does.

and, the UCMJ REQUIRES all military personel to REFUSE to obey

an illegal order.

But to expect our military to obey orders to go into a town, and take their guns etc?

That's laughable.

Well, unless it's Nato forces, in which case, there will be war between civilians and those forces.

Oh, our military would kick their asses.

Silly, Just plain silly.

The Lousiana National Guard helped provide order in the aftermath of Katrina.

There isn't anything here to take seriously.

OH, this is silly.

Maybe I -should- go find my pictures of the national guard at Kent State on May 4, 1970,

and post them on our board....

"sigh"

This is evidence of what the National Guard does.

and, the UCMJ REQUIRES all military personel to REFUSE to obey

an illegal order.

But to expect our military to obey orders to go into a town, and take their guns etc?

That's laughable.

Well, unless it's Nato forces, in which case, there will be war between civilians and those forces.

Oh, our military would kick their asses.

Silly, Just plain silly.

The Lousiana National Guard helped provide order in the aftermath of Katrina.

There isn't anything here to take seriously.

This isn't the National Guard, Cal. "MP's" from the Army.

I think that is the point and may I quote you "they were throwing rock and sticks" and that is why they gunned down 4 people in Kent. Do you see any resemblance of that situation here? That's the point. If anything this is a misappropriation of tax payer money. Hey, but at this point what's another $800,000 for weekend security.

Whoa, whoa. You suggested that these people are in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act, did you not?

Well, if they're Kentucky National Guard troops, which is what they appear to be, they're not. They're under the command of the Governor of Kentucky. So you can relax. No violations. No police states. No martial law.

Feel better?

Whoa, whoa. You suggested that these people are in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act, did you not?

Well, if they're Kentucky National Guard troops, which is what they appear to be, they're not. They're under the command of the Governor of Kentucky. So you can relax. No violations. No police states. No martial law.

Feel better?

First off this was in Ohio and Kentucky.

Washington is desensitizing us.

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2007 (H. R. 5122) as including language allowing the federal government to take control of the national guard for a natural disaster anywhere within the United States or its territories. I understand this was not one, but you have to train first, right. LOL

Presidents use of National Guard

Governers lose veto power for National Guard

I quote from you "If they're performing - or training to perform - some sort of every day law enforcement tactic I'd agree with you, but they're not."

Can you explain that statement?

What ever reason we BOTH argue here, do you want troops on the streets like Russia or in Jakarta? WTF

Have you gone all T on me, Kosar? This is Ron Paul stuff. That should tell you something.

Now you're upset that Marines are doing urban-combat training? Really?

Let's get back to your original post. The act you're citing is about federal troops. National Guard troops are not federal until they're federalized because of some action, like when they're called up for the War in Iraq. At that point they're under command of the president. Before then, they're under command of the governor of each state and, yes, can be used at things like public events. (Though they're usually not.)

If you'd like to take it up with the governors of Ohio and Kentucky, that's fine. But these National Guardsmen are not under federal control. They're not creating a police state, or violating the Posse Comitatus Act.

If you're asking me if I want the marines pulling people over for traffic stops, of course not. But that's not what's happening here.

As for the troops that are training for a post-WMD event, that's the type of situation where the military might be called upon to serve a Homeland Security function. In the age of WMD and terrorism, I think it's wise to prepare for this type of event.

But I don't want them pulling people over for traffic stops in their spare time either. Because that would be a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.

I think this is a case of something that scares Ron Paul types, but isn't something you need to worry about. I mean, come on - the guy drove around in a car and filmed National Guardsmen in the streets. I used to live right by a National Guard base and saw soldiers and men coming in and out of the base all the time. I suppose I could have made a scary video too. Every day.

Hey Heck! Do you know the definition of posse comitatus?

And why is it relevant to this topic at hand and why was this a big concern in 1775 to those who first lived here in the States?

Good Luck with your blinders heck, I hope they work for ya.

Yes, yes, I know. They're coming for us all. But don't you realize that by declaring that you're on to them you make yourself a target?

What's great is that pussies like you are going to be scratching your ass hole while I am defending my family. Too funny.

From what I have seen is you take ANY "attack" on current administration as something personal. Obama, Bush, Bush and Clinton ran this ran this country into the ground. And you make excuses for their actions. What a waste.

And don't think I don't give shit to Cal. Because you and him are identical but with a different upbringing.

Kosar, that was directed at T and his unending paranoia, not you.

I can't help it if you lost the argument you started in this thread. It shouldn't make you lash out like that. If you were the man you think you are, you'd simply admit you got a little too excited by a Lou Dobbs story.

As for me scratching my ass in a hole while you defend your family, what are you referring to? What is this scenario you envision, tough guy?

Um, okay.

As long as you're sure you're more of a man than me because ...why again?

Come on that was funny as shit. The "scenario" of your ass itching was that that you have hemroids or you forgot to wipe.

I don't feel like discussing. I'm having fun today. You win.

you_win_prize_downs.jpg

Dammit, I find myself agreeing with Heck here...

and once again, I tried to respond to K's post I found

in very poor taste, and I thanked him instead.

"oi"

We can put a man on the moon, but Stan can't get somebody to figure

out how to unThank somebody?

egad.

Archived