THE BROWNS BOARD

Why is it so hard to believe that Quinn could be a bust?

.mz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This will be the third time I repeat this today, but I don't mind.

I like Anderson in there because he opens up the offense so that we can evaluate EVERYONE, from the young RB's and receivers to the gelling of the line. It allows our first time play caller an opportunity to dig deeper into his play book as well. Quinn was suffocating us. Had we had a veteran who could stretch the field back in 1999 and allow us to properly evaluate who we had and who we needed to get rid of, we'd be a lot further along today. However, we discarded O-linemen that went on to start for many years with much better teams, including Super Bowl teams.

If DA starts getting read like a book, which I think he will, and we can't make adjustments to play his way out of it and we start playing in a rut and things stop flowing, then we make another switch and hook them jumper cables back up and jump-start the somabitch again.

I'm not evaluating QB's this season, I'm evaluating the other components. With that said, Anderson gives us the better evaluation of the rest of the skill positions and can keep us in games better. If the kid improves to the point where he catches our eye for next season, great, if not we move on with those players who did.

Stop evaluating QB's and start looking at how this team is making adjustments and who's growing and playing through the hills and valleys. Weeks 1-3 were a waste of an evaluation period, we tweaked at least five positions and we got a better display last Sunday. Let's keep moving, so far I've seen no one worth back-tracking for to pick-up, brush off, and cater to.

This is a fair point. If THAT is the way the team is thinking, then it's understandable. At least we know then that there's a long-term focus rather than trying to goose a win or two in a lost year.

I just think 2 1/2 games isn't enough for Quinn, esp. because the defenses we saw the first 3 weeks are better than the one last week and this week. I'm not opposed to the DA move if the team goes back to Quinn in a few weeks (esp. if it's not against an elite team)... but they have to use this year to evaluate Quinn.

I still wonder how much this comes back to avoiding paying that escalator to a QB who they fear isn't in their long-term plans.

I still wonder how much this comes back to avoiding paying that escalator to a QB who they fear isn't in their long-term plans.

If it were about the escalator, they could play him every down for 9 games to see what he's got so "we know" then bench him. Heck they could play him for 12 games and go 0 and 12, then go to a 4 down pass every down game for the remaining 4 games to not pay the escalator. Face it, a QBs gotta at least be a threat to stretch the field to play in the NFL these days. Maybe the organization really does care about winning at least some.

Whether or not Mangini gave Quinn an ample shot is certainly up for debate (he probably didn't), but that is of small consequence any more. This relationship is done as far as I can tell; there's no coming back from this, is there?

And as for the decision, it comes down to two things, each of which are tough to believe but one HAS to be true:

Either 1) Magini is a total idiot and botched this whole thing or 2) Quinn simply does not have it.

Is there even room for any middle ground? Middle ground would have been letting Quinn play through.

I think it's now obvious that Quinn doesn't have what it takes. While he only got 6 statts, this is his 3rd season.

Maybe the organization really does care about winning at least some.

Cute, but irrational. The "organization" knows it isn't going to win this year as in make the playoffs.

The organization is probably trying to evaluate players as has been previously postulated in this thread. You know, build for future years.

With BQ being so tentative they felt they couldn't continue with him and/or they flat out blew the preseason evaluation leading to the belief that he's a full out bust. Either way, the offense looked better this past weekend as did the entire team's effort. If the catelyst was DA, great.

Problem is dan when stan "pulls people's chains" by thanking lums and starting threads thaking lums and Zombo. That encourages the mopaji's, D&S's and others to write long winded threads about how great Anderson could be and how the evil LERNER has focred Quinn onto two different regimes, and only NOW is willing to let his coaches make their own decisions.

Skippy and Lums and I SHOULD be thanking each other.

We were right.

Not that Anderson is clearly the future of the team, that remains to be seen.

But clearly he gives us the best chance to win a football game. He clearly has more arm, a quicker release, and more confidence than Quinn.

You should all thank us for doing our best to keep this board from getting too gay with "fierly leader wonderlic over-acheiver" type threads.

I'm damn glad Anderson is starting now.

He goes for it. You don't get anything in life if you don't go for it.

Anderson may be "Tin Cup" and have a mental breakdown and blow it at the end ... but it'll be a hell of a better ride then dinking and dunking and wondering what guys like Harrison and Momoss could really do.

Zombo

I think so little of Brady Quinn, and Brady Quinn has done so little to gain the attention of the franchise that I refuse to even talk about him again.

I'm not so certain that Ratliff ain't the back-up in the event that Anderson goes down.

fork.jpg

Or because you're an illogical hater, for no reason. Ever think of that?

Kid needs to get more than 5.5 games to show whether or not he's a bust or not.

I have no problem if he's a bust, but I'd at least like to find out.

xxxxtards like you are the reason why the fanbase are so messed up.

Archived