THE BROWNS BOARD

From an 'At the Game' Perspective

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS
We're on the same page, Mik.

Seems to me that everyone knows that to beat DA, you double up the outsides and pressure him on occasion.

Confuse him just enough to delay him and you can handle him. The only time he's dangerous is when he has time and an open WR downfield. He won't check down regularly and he won't be patient so as a D you know you can push him into INTs or INCs.

He absolutely is the anti-Quinn in that regard. All he wants to do is go downfield which is why the methodical, incremental approach at the end of a game is a weakness for him.

Hence, we lost on Sunday.

I'm working on a machine in my shop that we can dwarf Quinn & Anderson into one premium QB. It's called the Ken Stablizer. Although everytime I experiment with two blondes I land from the strip club, they come out throwing lefthanded and with a beard.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
Dude, what's wrong with you? We had a 6 point lead with 6:00 minutes to go. Then the D gave up a 70 yard drive. Sorry to hear that you turned the TV off after the first quarter. Nearly everyone at the Stadium stayed until Carson's long run.

I never tuned off the game. 6 point lead (that should have been 9 or 10) with 6 minutes left is an eternaty. I have been watching the new Browns long enough to know they will find a way to lose a game like that. Especially this team, based on what I have seen of them. Hence why I am saying in other threads that the staff and team needs to show me real wins and progress, not finding new ways to lose games, before I start trying to blow sunshine out my ass. They need to put teams away when they gift wrap the opportunity over and over again. That's what teams getting better and good teams do. This is the same thing as last year right now.

It's not like I want to watch a Browns game like Sundays and know in the pit of my stomach that the team will find a way to lose that game. Hopefully that will change sometime in the near future.

I'm working on a machine in my shop that we can dwarf Quinn & Anderson into one premium QB. It's called the Ken Stablizer. Although everytime I experiment with two blondes I land from the strip club, they come out throwing lefthanded and with a beard.

i never noticed that HagII was lefthanded.

I am a football guy astute as I am.

I refrain from this board because it is toxic

Regards to the QB situation in Cleveland...

Anderson can be a OK qb, not elite

Quinn is a bust which I surmised and got castrated for among other astute judgments

Carry on Browns and please move forward and do not salute any more sewage......if you get that

I have higher hopes for our offense than this.

I'm starting to think that neither of our QB's will be here next year. Bitter sweet.

I can't believe you are just now thinking that. Considering the Mankok tried to get rid of both during hte offseason with no success other than a 5th round pick, tells me alot.

DA,BQ,BE........no value.

Sure you play to win the individual game, Z, but you also play to learn, to grow, to improve, in the hopes of building a consistent team that's capable of winning future games as well.

You sound like Romeo: playing veterans gives me the best chance to win, so I won't play young guys at all. We've seen how well that's worked.

And yet, you and Stan are all about winning the next game. Well, great for you.

But for me, as long as we only care about winning one game, we'll never get out of the basement. We've been taking the "one game" approach for 10 years. It's been a blast, hasn't it?

Belichick, Coughlin, Parcels, Dungy ... they all take the "one game" approach.

You play the better players.

Waiting and hoping for someone to develop on the job is a candy-ass approach. That is what all those off-season camps and pe-season games are for. If you go out and shit your pants three weeks in a row how is that good for the team? How is that improving?

Play the best players.

Zombo

Belichick, Coughlin, Parcels, Dungy ... they all take the "one game" approach.

You play the better players.

Waiting and hoping for someone to develop on the job is a candy-ass approach. That is what all those off-season camps and pe-season games are for. If you go out and shit your pants three weeks in a row how is that good for the team? How is that improving?

Play the best players.

Zombo

In general, I agree with you. Faster RB? Get him in there. Bigger, badder LB? Roger, go get 'em. Glue hands WR? Get in there, son.

But QB is a different animal and I think you know that.

QB's simply cannot learn or grow without playing. The less experienced QB will always be the inferior QB until he gains experience.

So, you can say you prefer DA, and you can say "he's the better player right now so he gives us a better chance to win" but I don't think you can reasonably say he's the "better player so don't EVER play a POTENTIALLY better player."

The Lumberghian-logic disclaimer: Quinn may not EVER be the better player. Fine. Doesn't mean we should quit looking for guys who are better than average, which is what DA undeniably is at this point, which is what your logic seems to support.

In general, I agree with you. Faster RB? Get him in there. Bigger, badder LB? Roger, go get 'em. Glue hands WR? Get in there, son.

But QB is a different animal and I think you know that.

QB's simply cannot learn or grow without playing. The less experienced QB will always be the inferior QB until he gains experience.

So, you can say you prefer DA, and you can say "he's the better player right now so he gives us a better chance to win" but I don't think you can reasonably say he's the "better player so don't EVER play a POTENTIALLY better player."

The Lumberghian-logic disclaimer: Quinn may not EVER be the better player. Fine. Doesn't mean we should quit looking for guys who are better than average, which is what DA undeniably is at this point, which is what your logic seems to support.

Yep, my argument is obviously that not only is Anderson better now, he has more potential as well.

At the end of the season I'm sure the position will be evaluated based largely on how Anderson performs the rest of the year.

Zombo

You either must not think much of our coach's ability to judge QB's or you buy into Lum's conspiracy theories.

Nope I think it took Mangini exactly three games to decide Quinn wasn't the future which is exactly how long I said it would.

I was right ... it's ok ... somebody had to be.

Now stop making the Bitter Beer Face and start supporting the team.

We have come along way in a week: better QB, better offense, better defense, one less prima donna and a coach and a QB with balls for a change.

Just watch this baby turn around...

Zombo

Bitter beer face? You're comical. I just took a group of 20 family and friends to the Bengals game and lost my voice cheering. Yeah, I need you to tell me how to be a fan. Get a clue.

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that the coaching staff put a guy out there ahead of DA who was SO bad he lost his job in 2.5 games. I remain concerned about that gigantic miss in talent evaluation.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Bitter beer face? You're comical. I just took a group of 20 family and friends to the Bengals game and lost my voice cheering. Yeah, I need you to tell me how to be a fan. Get a clue.

My point, which you seem to have missed, is that the coaching staff put a guy out there ahead of DA who was SO bad he lost his job in 2.5 games. I remain concerned about that gigantic miss in talent evaluation.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I never said you weren't a fan, it's that you are still trying to play Quinniecakes with me when it's time to move on.

Mangini said the competiton was very close. There was an "unknown" quality to Quinn that I think he felt he needed to explore. I'm glad he did, now that fans can get over Quinn.

I don't fault Mangini for going with Quinn to start the season, I applaud him for having the balls to pull the plug on the experiment before it got any worse.

Quinn was a first round pick with a lot of skills, he was a hard worker and dedicated. Mangini gave him a shot.

Anderson is a player's player who can throw the ball through a brick wall. He's the man for the job.

I'm not worried it took Mangini three games to figure which guy is right. I'm worried that you remain so bitter about the whole process and are still being mean to poor Lums and Skippy and I. Don't hate us because we were right.

Zombo

Guest Masters

Gave up 21 1st down.

Gave up 3-3 on 4th down attempts.

Gave up 154 yards rushing to the tune of 5.1YPC

Gave up 221 passing yards

That's marked improvement?

Look, I get the D forced a couple of turn overs and put some pressure on the QB, but that is nothing we have not seen before. On top of that, CIN offense coming in was doing less than what CLE allowed them to do on Sunday. I don't see it as an improvement by allowing another team to come into your house and put up numbers ABOVE their average. Maybe I am just crazy that way.

The only real improvement was they only gave up 20 13 points in regulation and 23 16 for the game. If not for big plays by the special teams group blocking a FG and an extra point, that score creeps up higher.

Guest Masters
The D gave up 13 in regulation and 16 in total. 7 points were on the fumble return.

Z, got you. I'm good. Bottom line: you see more in DA than I do. That's cool. Quinn's an afterthought. A disappointing afterthought, but an afterthought none the less.

My bad on total points. But that was still the only real improvement and nothing we have not seen in one game in the past 2 years.

The improvement i saw was the fact that we actually scored an offensive touchdown and our offensive line did move. I did not and do not have unreal expectations about this season but after seeing 3 games of our offense stuck in neutral im glad that we have risen from a position worse than the detroit lions to a position where we know we can be exciting versus the average teams.

My bad on total points. But that was still the only real improvement and nothing we have not seen in one game in the past 2 years.

holding Cincy to 7 straight 3 and outs is impressive.

but I thought Palmer missed a bunch of open receivers throughout that stretch, especially on 3rd downs.

but I thought Palmer missed a bunch of open receivers throughout that stretch, especially on 3rd downs.

he was 0 for 9 during one stretch

Guest Masters

I am "eh" on the 3 and out for the same reason you mentioned. CIN didn't exactly come in with an offense that has been rolling.

Archived