THE BROWNS BOARD

From an 'At the Game' Perspective

Guest ATENEARS

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um...yes.

That we lost, despite this "good looking" QB.

Who did what we knew he'd do.

Which is.

Play like an average QB.

And.

Lose.

Unlike baseball, where it might pertain, QB's aren't jugged so much on wins and losses

Guest ATENEARS
What's the point here?

Is it that Anderson is -- right now, today -- better than Quinn? Of course he is. He's played almost SIX TIMES more games than Quinn. He damn well better be better than Quinn.

The real issue is that in going on 34 starts, Anderson IS THE EXACT SAME GUY.

If you like that guy, great. Glad he looked good to you on Sunday.

What was the end result again?

The exact same guy? You don't think he has worked hard on touch on his short passes? Last year that is all we heard about the guy, today it seems put to bed.

He has made the players around him play better. He did it in 2007 and he did it again yesterday.

The team seems more supportive to have him in, the offense clicks better, he's had SIX TIMES more experience and is only 16 months older.

He's our guy, if you can't handle it, stay home.

Guest ATENEARS
Um...yes.

That we lost, despite this "good looking" QB.

Who did what we knew he'd do.

Which is.

Play like an average QB.

And.

Lose.

Yeah, we knew he'd put the defense on their heels, which minimized them pinning their ears back and sacking our QB ten times in two games, We knew that our O-line wasn't as bad as they looked when the opposing defense had no respect for our QB's game. We knew it would put the opposing defense on their heels which would open the Running game and allow Jamal Lewis Jerome Harrison a 100+ yard game. He knew he'd take a rookie receiver in his first full start at the #2 position and churn out production to the tune of 10 catches for 140 yards. We knew he'd stand toe-to-toe with Carson Palmer (again), we knew he'd give us a chance to win.

Why on earth would you post negative about this improvement at this position?

A loss is a loss for sure, but when we had several young kids have the game of their career, is that a loss too? Is that really a negative to dwell on?

Guest ATENEARS
YES!(Losers)

Why do you think Harrison sucks?

I thought he did pretty good. Harrison might have lost the game for us with that fumble-6, but I wouldn't bench him yet, he showed with some added carries that he could produce in helping sustain drives.

He did 'something'.

Same with Mohamed Massaquoi, I disagree with you that he sucks and is a bust. I watched the kid run decent patterns in week #1, I believe I posted about it here. I liked what I saw from this kid in camp, presseason and with & without the ball in the first few weeks. It was so good that we finally had someone throw his way and feed an obvious hot hand. Please give the kid another chance before saying he's a loser.

Again he did 'something' and deserves to play.

Holy cow! This has probably been posted already, but i'm not reading through 100 posts on this thread......

Anderson needs to stop hitting his recievers in the facemask.

BTW, one of the things i like to do during those dreadful TV timeouts is watch what is going on at both sidelines. Brady spent a good portion of the game at the end of the player line talking to #74. Who is that guy?

There were two instances where Mangini made very RAC-like conservative calls that may have burned the team.

2) punting with 19 seconds left in regulation on the Bengals 40 yd line. Go for it or try the 57 yarder. Again, play to win.

They talked about this on the radio today and I really didn't think anybody was buying into it. I was wrong.

The wind was in our face, Cundiff is a free agent scrap heap kicker, the longest FG in history is only 6 yards farther than that, WHEN we miss it the Bengals are two throws away from a FG, and our defense was good enough to kick it away. that was a no brainer decision. It didn't even cross my mind that that would be an option.

Why on earth would you post negative about this improvement at this position?

Because, its no longer about who's better or who helps the team. Its about which forum member is right.

5-11

Come on .mz the pussy yell at me for it.

Guest ATENEARS
Because, its no longer about who's better or who helps the team. Its about which forum member is right.

Well, we all know that Lums was the one who was right all along.

opps ... Oh, now I understand the problem ...

Guest ATENEARS
Stan, was that Lum being right that starting DA equals a loss in a football game? If so, yup he nailed it.

No, that Quinn was a major loss ... he nailed it x3.

That's the opposite as GOD, for those scoring at home.

Guest Masters
No, that Quinn was a major loss ... he nailed it x3.

That's the opposite as GOD, for those scoring at home.

That's fantastic. I'll be sure to remember this one in 2 weeks when that x3 is still the same.

By the way, you are EMAL, for those scoring at home

Guest ATENEARS
That's fantastic. I'll be sure to remember this one in 2 weeks when that x3 is still the same.

By the way, you are EMAL, for those scoring at home

Thanks for the vote of confidence for our my Browns. Regardless who was under center, I was still guaranteeing games and looking forward to progress.

You haven't been accussing Lums of only being here for one player and not the Browns have you?

Must be fun to hope the Browns lose ... who's your favorite team?

Guest Masters
Thanks for the vote of confidence for our my Browns. Regardless who was under center, I was still guaranteeing games and looking forward to progress.

You haven't been accussing Lums of only being here for one player and not the Browns have you?

Must be fun to hope the Browns lose ... who's your favorite team?

LMFAO......

I am sorry, I didn't realize to be a card carrying Browns fan I had to blindly guaratee wins for them.

And should you really say any of that with half the garbage you have spewed over the last 3 weeks.

There is hope, and there are realistic expectations. Maybe if you weren't so "gay", you'd understand that.

Guest ATENEARS

Naa dude, you just declared that you'd be here to gloat when the Browns lose their next two. Don't try to pull up words like "gay" and point this one back on me ... this is on you pup.

Guest Masters
Naa dude, you just declared that you'd be here to gloat when the Browns lose their next two. Don't try to pull up words like "gay" and point this one back on me ... this is on you pup.

I'd go point out the posts where Lums, who you were proping and which my response was aimed at (and you know it.) did the same thing.

But you carry on trying to twist and turn the meaning. Trust me, you didn't miss a calling in politics or in law.

The exact same guy? You don't think he has worked hard on touch on his short passes? Last year that is all we heard about the guy, today it seems put to bed.

He has made the players around him play better. He did it in 2007 and he did it again yesterday.

The team seems more supportive to have him in, the offense clicks better, he's had SIX TIMES more experience and is only 16 months older.

He's our guy, if you can't handle it, stay home.

Stan, I think you're mostly just chicken-shitting, but I'll play along for fun.

DA is most certainly not "our guy" if by "our guy" you mean "the Browns guy". If he was, he'd have beaten Quinn out in preseason, he'd have started the season, he'd have showed more interest and passion for the job when it was on the line.

He didn't, he didn't and he didn't.

Once again, there is NO ARGUING he is the best QB on our roster RIGHT NOW.

That's NOT THE POINT. The point is -- and always has been -- about finding a LONG-TERM answer at QB.

IF you are going to say "We did that! It's DA!" then I'm going to ask "Why have two different coaching staffs given him the job BY DEFAULT?"

Is that "our guy"? The default guy? The other guy? The not-as-bad guy?

Because that's what DA is. That doesn't make him a bad guy, or a bad player, or a bad QB.

It just makes him what he has SHOWN himself to be: a totally average NFL QB.

So, sure, a totally average veteran starter is better than a rookie starter. Okay. Great.

I'm not getting excited about going 4-12 with a totally average veteran starter instead of 3-13 with the rookie starter.

Sorry. You can keep extolling DA's "growth" all you want, but it still doesn't make sense to play the guy this year unless you're CONVINCED he is your franchise guy.

Which I just can't imagine is the case.

Finally, will I be upset if I'm wrong? Hell no! I'll be incredibly excited to be wrong.

I'm just not expecting it and I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen like you seem to be.

Guest Masters
Wow, 'peen. Really? Wins and losses don't matter in judging a QB, huh?

I don't even know where to begin with that one so I'll just let it stand for itself...

I swear I used to see DA's W/L record from 2007 trotted out. Now wins don't matter for a QB....

I thought DA showed many things in what I saw of the game.

1. Completely shrugged off the sea of negativity that has dogged him since BQ arrived, got under centre and got on with it = Mature & professional

2. Used his limited experience as a starter to look like a starter - bossed the huddle and line.

3. Went through quick check downs and made some smart choices, not all but enough to make us look like a team to keep a defense honest

4. Didn't look like he was filling his nappy (daiper) on every 3rd down

5. Showed commitment to the team in congratulating good line work and WR play

and most importantly

6. Showed he cared more about the win than I have seen so far this season from a Browns QB.

IMVHO, I think Quinn has huge self doubt issues, not helped by the to-ing and fro-ing of managment for sure, but if he was the real deal we would have had the light come on above his head before now. The bulb is still dull.

I hope DA is still our man when I come over in December. I am not at all sold on Quinn. I don't think Quinn could ever have had a game like the Giants last season, I don't see it in him.

But as I always say, what the hell do I know, I'm a limey.

Ta ta for now. Howie.

Guest ATENEARS
Stan, I think you're mostly just chicken-shitting, but I'll play along for fun.

DA is most certainly not "our guy" if by "our guy" you mean "the Browns guy". If he was, he'd have beaten Quinn out in preseason, he'd have started the season, he'd have showed more interest and passion for the job when it was on the line.

He didn't, he didn't and he didn't.

Once again, there is NO ARGUING he is the best QB on our roster RIGHT NOW.

That's NOT THE POINT. The point is -- and always has been -- about finding a LONG-TERM answer at QB.

IF you are going to say "We did that! It's DA!" then I'm going to ask "Why have two different coaching staffs given him the job BY DEFAULT?"

Is that "our guy"? The default guy? The other guy? The not-as-bad guy?

Because that's what DA is. That doesn't make him a bad guy, or a bad player, or a bad QB.

It just makes him what he has SHOWN himself to be: a totally average NFL QB.

So, sure, a totally average veteran starter is better than a rookie starter. Okay. Great.

I'm not getting excited about going 4-12 with a totally average veteran starter instead of 3-13 with the rookie starter.

Sorry. You can keep extolling DA's "growth" all you want, but it still doesn't make sense to play the guy this year unless you're CONVINCED he is your franchise guy.

Which I just can't imagine is the case.

Finally, will I be upset if I'm wrong? Hell no! I'll be incredibly excited to be wrong.

I'm just not expecting it and I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen like you seem to be.

You've totally misinterpreted my post somewhere.

DA is our best QB on staff right now, as you've agreed. He has made some steps in improving some small parts of his game, as I pointed out. He's here to stay this season and Quinn, as far as I'm concerned is worthless to potty train because it hurts the development of so many other young positions, and I don't believe he's worth the time. DA is more worth the time to continue working on short-comings. I have not thought beyond this season, I'm taking what we have and you guys must be dreaming about what we need.

I was talking about DA's work ethic on trying to improve his short game, inwhich everyone dwelled on last year as a flaw needing improved. If he improves his reads and decisions in the same manner, we will have a guy to continue to build with in honing the other 23 positions on the field in a competitive manner. I never said DA was our future, our franchise, nor have I said anyone else on this team is our mainstay.

We have a game Sunday, are you guys tuning in, or is it 'next year' already for ya and you are looking to clean up the yard a bit on Sunday afternoon?

What's the point here?

Is it that Anderson is -- right now, today -- better than Quinn?

Ummm .. yes, that is the point.

Generally the better guy gives your team a better chance to win.

You play to win the game.

Do you need a Herm Edwards motivational speech?

Zombo

--Not only is he better now, he has better tools to work with for the future ... what was the issue again?

Holy cow! This has probably been posted already, but i'm not reading through 100 posts on this thread......

Anderson needs to stop hitting his recievers in the facemask.

BTW, one of the things i like to do during those dreadful TV timeouts is watch what is going on at both sidelines. Brady spent a good portion of the game at the end of the player line talking to #74. Who is that guy?

Apparently another racist.

Zombo

This board is really starting to plummet like Anderceptions career completion percentage.

That is still better than BQ's career completion percentage. Nobody is saying that DA is the long term answer. But at least the Browns look like they have an offense now.

Guest ATENEARS
This board is really starting to plummet like Anderceptions career completion percentage.

Don't rack your brain over this revelation all by yourself, TheBrownsBoard has spent tens of thousands of dollars on reform committee's to study this demise in attitude. We've determined that we should create a focus group on losing franchises, we think it has something to do with a decade of losing ... but it could be rampant racism and homophobia among us.

You've totally misinterpreted my post somewhere.

DA is our best QB on staff right now, as you've agreed. He has made some steps in improving some small parts of his game, as I pointed out. He's here to stay this season and Quinn, as far as I'm concerned is worthless to potty train because it hurts the development of so many other young positions, and I don't believe he's worth the time. DA is more worth the time to continue working on short-comings. I have not thought beyond this season, I'm taking what we have and you guys must be dreaming about what we need.

I was talking about DA's work ethic on trying to improve his short game, inwhich everyone dwelled on last year as a flaw needing improved. If he improves his reads and decisions in the same manner, we will have a guy to continue to build with in honing the other 23 positions on the field in a competitive manner. I never said DA was our future, our franchise, nor have I said anyone else on this team is our mainstay.

We have a game Sunday, are you guys tuning in, or is it 'next year' already for ya and you are looking to clean up the yard a bit on Sunday afternoon?

No, I haven't misinterpreted you. You are for winning right now, as you've made clear here, and I'm for building the team for the future.

You think DA will help with both the short and long term and that's fair. Given what we know about him, it's POSSIBLE he'll help guys develop more quickly.

But to what end? What does it matter if he ends up leaving after this year? What's it worth, long-term?

We've been thinking short-term for far too long as an organization and it keeps failing. I was pro-Mangini because I thought he was actually going to take the long view and give a bunch of young players a chance to develop together. He appeared to be doing that by starting Mack and Quinn and we thought MoMass and Robo would be thrown in there. Give a young offense a chance to grow up together.

But then he threw a developemental WR in Cribbs out there along with an aging Lewis along with Mack and Quinn against three top D's and when things looked bad he bailed on the whole plan (it appears).

THAT'S my main issue with this whole thing and it's made worse with each game we lose with DA at the helm because it's another game that he's playing to no purpose. If we are going to lose, it should be in the service of getting better as a team, not just watching DA do what he does.

Bottom line: I was prepared to watch bad football this year in the hopes that it would lead to better football, and one way or another, we need answer on Quinn. Results, for me, were secondary to the growth that had to take place throughout the ENTIRE team.

Now, that's gone. Now, I'll watch slightly better football with DA in there but with no real hope of it getting ANY better because I believe DA is showing us EXACTLY what he is: a .500 QB who will be average in everything: Comp %, TD/INT ratio, Win %.

Yippee.

Ummm .. yes, that is the point.

Generally the better guy gives your team a better chance to win.

You play to win the game.

Do you need a Herm Edwards motivational speech?

Zombo

--Not only is he better now, he has better tools to work with for the future ... what was the issue again?

Sure you play to win the individual game, Z, but you also play to learn, to grow, to improve, in the hopes of building a consistent team that's capable of winning future games as well.

You sound like Romeo: playing veterans gives me the best chance to win, so I won't play young guys at all. We've seen how well that's worked.

And yet, you and Stan are all about winning the next game. Well, great for you.

But for me, as long as we only care about winning one game, we'll never get out of the basement. We've been taking the "one game" approach for 10 years. It's been a blast, hasn't it?

Guest Masters
Sure you play to win the individual game, Z, but you also play to learn, to grow, to improve, in the hopes of building a consistent team that's capable of winning future games as well.

You sound like Romeo: playing veterans gives me the best chance to win, so I won't play young guys at all. We've seen how well that's worked.

And yet, you and Stan are all about winning the next game. Well, great for you.

But for me, as long as we only care about winning one game, we'll never get out of the basement. We've been taking the "one game" approach for 10 years. It's been a blast, hasn't it?

What is amusing to me is that "best chance to win", considering the end result. I don't know about you, but when watching that game, I never actually felt like CLE truly had a chance to win it.

Early in the game, in the red zone, I was expecting a DA red zone pick. Sure enough, he delivered. Chance to close out that game late in the 4th QTR, Cribbs returns a punt to the to the CINCY 14. What do we get, the QB basically sacking himself and we walk away w/ only 3.

Really late in the 4th, tie game, 1:52 left, CLE starts at their own 33 yard line. Get the ball to Cincy's 40 only needing maybe 10~15 yards for a FG, 0:27 left on the clock, and what do we get? 2 incomplete passes.

OT, CLE gets the ball 3 times (how often do you see that in OT, especially after losing the toss), what happens? Nothing.

Progress and best chance to win......(more like same old, same old, and best chance to get your hopes up then dashed)

We're on the same page, Mik.

Seems to me that everyone knows that to beat DA, you double up the outsides and pressure him on occasion.

Confuse him just enough to delay him and you can handle him. The only time he's dangerous is when he has time and an open WR downfield. He won't check down regularly and he won't be patient so as a D you know you can push him into INTs or INCs.

He absolutely is the anti-Quinn in that regard. All he wants to do is go downfield which is why the methodical, incremental approach at the end of a game is a weakness for him.

Hence, we lost on Sunday.

What is amusing to me is that "best chance to win", considering the end result. I don't know about you, but when watching that game, I never actually felt like CLE truly had a chance to win it.

Dude, what's wrong with you? We had a 6 point lead with 6:00 minutes to go. Then the D gave up a 70 yard drive. Sorry to hear that you turned the TV off after the first quarter. Nearly everyone at the Stadium stayed until Carson's long run.

Archived