THE BROWNS BOARD

My SEC Pimping Post

dencyguy

I know that people get tired of hearing about the SEC, but I don't think it's because of a vast media conspiracy or New York executives' love of the South. The SEC gets the attention because they play a brand of football that is superior to any other conference--at least a brand of college football, as you could make the argument that the Pac-10 and a couple of teams in the Big Ten prepare players for the NFL better.

Anyway, watching Alabama on ESPN 360 while following the LSU-Georgia game on Gamecast got me to thinking--if Division 1 were to go to a +1 format for the national championship this year, I think you could make an argument that the SEC should get three teams in the games. Since each of the SEC's top three teams play each other, there's obviously going to be an odd man out, but still.

Also, since it's never too early to start talking about the B©S national championship game, I'm going to throw out what I want to see as things stand right now. My hunch is that LSU will be the odd man out in the SEC, as I think they'll lose to both Florida and Alabama. I also expect to see Florida and Alabama in the SEC Championship game. So here's my argument--if they end up splitting the two games (say, Alabama wins the regular season game and Florida the SEC Championship), the best national championship game, both in terms of entertainment value and finding the "real" national champion, is a rubber match between the two teams. Just to show that I'm not a total homer, I thought that that's what should have happened a few years ago when Ohio State and Michigan were #1 and #2 going into the last game of the regular season.

I mean, think about it--how can you possibly argue that Florida and Alabama, with one loss to the other team, is less deserving than a USC team that lost to Washington? I'll give a couple of monkey-wrench scenarios: if Texas ends up undefeated, or wins the Big Twelve with one loss (depending on the loss), they might have a case. And at some point, one of the mid-majors will have to get a shot if they're undefeated. I don't think Boise State or TCU could run with Alabama or Florida, but I wouldn't have a quarrel with one of them getting a shot if they are 12-0.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
I know that people get tired of hearing about the SEC, but I don't think it's because of a vast media conspiracy or New York executives' love of the South. The SEC gets the attention because they play a brand of football that is superior to any other conference--at least a brand of college football, as you could make the argument that the Pac-10 and a couple of teams in the Big Ten prepare players for the NFL better.

Anyway, watching Alabama on ESPN 360 while following the LSU-Georgia game on Gamecast got me to thinking--if Division 1 were to go to a +1 format for the national championship this year, I think you could make an argument that the SEC should get three teams in the games. Since each of the SEC's top three teams play each other, there's obviously going to be an odd man out, but still.

Also, since it's never too early to start talking about the B©S national championship game, I'm going to throw out what I want to see as things stand right now. My hunch is that LSU will be the odd man out in the SEC, as I think they'll lose to both Florida and Alabama. I also expect to see Florida and Alabama in the SEC Championship game. So here's my argument--if they end up splitting the two games (say, Alabama wins the regular season game and Florida the SEC Championship), the best national championship game, both in terms of entertainment value and finding the "real" national champion, is a rubber match between the two teams. Just to show that I'm not a total homer, I thought that that's what should have happened a few years ago when Ohio State and Michigan were #1 and #2 going into the last game of the regular season.

I mean, think about it--how can you possibly argue that Florida and Alabama, with one loss to the other team, is less deserving than a USC team that lost to Washington? I'll give a couple of monkey-wrench scenarios: if Texas ends up undefeated, or wins the Big Twelve with one loss (depending on the loss), they might have a case. And at some point, one of the mid-majors will have to get a shot if they're undefeated. I don't think Boise State or TCU could run with Alabama or Florida, but I wouldn't have a quarrel with one of them getting a shot if they are 12-0.

Dennis

Why I am a little bias (for obvious reasons), I will say I still watch a lot of other football, especially Big Ten since my father is still a fan, and you hit the nail on the head. The level of play in every other conference is not up to the level with the SEC. The Big 12 is pass happy with no defense, the Pac-10 is flashy, individual play makers and little chemistry, the Big-Ten is smash mouth running, and the ACC is hot-and-cold, are they gonna show up.

Archived