THE BROWNS BOARD

Wedge is Gone

Sony Reed

God, please. I'm sure the Dolans are nice people but damn are they stingy with their billions.

have you ever met people who are rich but still cheap? they are the biggest dicks in the world. hopefully the dolans wise up and get rid of shapiro too.

So where do the Indians go from here? There is a lot of buzz that Boston Red Sox Pitching Coach John Farrell is the leading candidate for the job. At this point, he is the clear frontrunner for the job. It was reported by FoxSports' Ken Rosenthal a few days ago that Farrell has a clause in his contract which would prevent him from seeking another job opportunity this offseason, but it is very possible that the clause could be waived in light of an opportunity for a promotional move from pitching coach to manager. If Farrell is interested in seeking the opening as the Indians' manager, at this point there appears to be no reason why the Red Sox would not let him pursue the job opportunity.

Farrell would be a very good choice. The Indians idealy do not want a complete outsider to be added to the coaching mix since they would want someone to come on board who is familiar with their philosophy. This is not a requirement as at this point they will likely explore all manager options available to them, but it is something they prefer. Farrell is a former player in the organization and was the Farm Director from 2001 to 2006, joining the front office when Shapiro was promoted to General Manager. With Farrell coming from a very successful Red Sox organization, he can also help give the Indians some new insight and views based on his experiences working in Boston.

There has also been some talk of Mike Hargrove coming back as he expressed interest in a recent radio interview of wanting to manage again. Whether or not the interest is mutual from the Indians perspective is unknown at this point, but while becoming the manager again may not be likely for Hargrove it is a possibility he could be named a bench coach for Farrell or whoever assumes the manager role.

Once the manager is named, look for Triple-A Columbus Manager Torey Lovullo to be added as a coach in some capacity, likely the third base coach. Lovullo also will receive strong consideration for the manager opening, though he would seem to be down a little on the Indians' priority list at this point.

Also, Triple-A Columbus Pitching Coach Scott Radinsky looks to be almost a given to assume the pitching coach duties no matter who the manager ends up being. Radinsky is well received in the system and one of the better pitching coaches in the minors. He also has an excellent rapport with his players, and is very familiar with every pitcher who should make up a very young staff in Cleveland in 2010 and beyond.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2009...aff-let-go.html

While acknowledging that I have no idea how he'd do as a manager, I like the idea of Farrell having anything to do with this pitching staff. Kinda interesting to see Grover back in the role of a bench coach too.

No surprise about Wedge. Hate to see anyone lose their job but he had a longer run than most and it was clearly time for a change.

Beanpot

Castro has all the info as usual.

Speculation begins about next Tribe skipper

Organization looking for a Wedge-like manager

CLEVELAND -- Now that manager Eric Wedge has officially been ousted, the Indians will begin considering options for his replacement.

All the Indians will reveal so far is that they'll be looking for a guy similar to Wedge.

"We will look for somebody who has some of the strengths that Eric has," team president Paul Dolan said. "Eric was a very good manager. We'd certainly do well to get somebody who has some of those same strengths."

General manager Mark Shapiro, who used to commonly refer to Wedge as his "partner," said he will be looking for a candidate with whom he can have open dialogue and reach collective conclusions -- the same kind of dialogue he had with Wedge.

"I would still hope that the next manager will be someone that I can have the same kind of open and honest relationship with," Shapiro said. "I would hope we can work hard together and that guy understands situations as well as Eric does."

By that logic, perhaps Wedge should apply.

But what Shapiro is really referring to is a manager who will understand how to guide a young, inexperienced ballclub in a challenging economic market. Some decisions will be made because of finances, and growing pains with unproven players will be par for the course in 2010.

Given those constraints, it seems reasonable to suggest that veteran retreads -- guys like Buck Showalter or Bobby Valentine -- likely won't be on the Indians' radar, let alone within their budget.

Based on a gauge of club sources, one aspect of the search that appears overwhelmingly clear is that the Indians will not hire from within. Triple-A manager Torey Lovullo, for instance, might get an interview but, barring an unforeseen change in thinking, is not expected to get the job.

Shapiro refused to get into any details, no matter how vague, regarding the managerial search and what it will entail. He said he would discuss such details with reporters in the days following Sunday's conclusion of the 2009 season.

So all that's available now is pure speculation. And truth be known, that speculation began weeks ago, when the writing was on the wall that Wedge would be dismissed.

Former Tribe pitcher and farm director and current Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell has been a popular possibility listed by fans and the media, though he has no managerial experience at any level.

According to a recent report in FOXSports.com, Farrell has a clause in his contract that prevents him from accepting a managerial job with another team until after the 2010 season. But a subsequent report in the Boston Globe indicated that the clause could be removed if the Red Sox receive some sort of compensation.

It's believed the Red Sox view the 47-year-old Farrell as a potential successor to Terry Francona. For that reason, he might be difficult to land, though his relationship and history with the Indians is a strong one.

Former Tribe manager Mike Hargrove has also been a popular name bandied about by fans. But much of that is sentimentality attached to the Tribe's 1990s glory days. It seems doubtful the Indians would go down that road again.

If the Indians, who will still be on the hook to pay Wedge more than $1 million next year, value managerial experience while also saving a few bucks, then former D-backs skipper Bob Melvin might get a look. Melvin compiled a 337-340 record with Arizona over four-plus seasons before getting relieved of his duties in May. Melvin, like Wedge, will still be paid by his former club next season.

Also like Wedge, Melvin was named Manager of the Year in his league following the 2007 season. He received credit for guiding a young D-backs club to the National League Championship Series. But this year, like Wedge, he took the blame for that same core of players not reaching expectations.

Two other former big league skippers who are readily available are Manny Acta, who was recently let go by the Nationals, and Willie Randolph, who was removed by the Mets last year and is currently a coach with the Brewers.

If the Indians value big league coaching experience and are looking to give a guy his first Major League managerial opportunity, then several names may emerge, including but not limited to: Cardinals third-base and infield coach Jose Oquendo, White Sox bench coach Joey Cora, D-backs third-base coach Chip Hale, Red Sox third-base coach DeMarlo Hale, Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills (though he is the father of Tribe prospect Beau Mills), Giants bench coach Ron Wotus, Padres hitting coach Randy Ready and Braves bullpen coach Eddie Perez.

This is but a preliminary list, and a speculative one at that. Much more will be known about the Indians' managerial search when Shapiro delves deeper into the topic with reporters next week.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

---------------------------------------

Not a very attractive list. Like Cousineau on the DiaTribe said, the biggest factor has to be someone who can get the most out of our young starters. The offense should be there, just like it has the past 20 years or so. The bullpen should be solid for the first time in a long time. Just need some quality starts, especially ones that can go 7 or 8 innings. I obviously don't know anything about pretty much any of those guys on the list, but it comes down to the rotation.

I don't think Wedge did a bad job. I just think it is time to move on. I think we need to get a motivator in here. Sort of like Girardi. An ex-player who doesn't take no shit and can also relate to all the young players that the tribe will be fielding next year.

at this point i don't really care if the new skipper has managing experience. i would love to have a pitching coach with an outstanding record to come in and manage the team. you know who else would love this? justin masterson. you can tell he wasn't happy about being traded to cleveland, and who can blame him. getting back together with his old pitching coach would be great for him as well as all of our pitching staff seeing as our average age of starting pitchers will be about 15 next season. we need a guy to come in and teach these kids how to pitch. everything else will fall in line after that.

No surprise about Wedge. Hate to see anyone lose their job but he had a longer run than most and it was clearly time for a change.

Beanpot

I agree. I thought he was done last year as i thought we had a better team. This year may not have been his fault, but change is needed..

3 guys I like..

Scott Ullger...3b coach Minnesota..Gardenhire is the 2nd best mgr in baseball IMO...so his top aide has to have something

Terry Pendleton..Braves hitting coach...played and coached for Bobby Cox...the best mgr in baseball. Anybody good enough for Bobby Cox is good enough for me.

Dave Duncan...not as high on him but he has been around and been top flight everywhere he goes.

3 guys I like..

Scott Ullger...3b coach Minnesota..Gardenhire is the 2nd best mgr in baseball IMO...so his top aide has to have something

Hey Peen, hope you had a safe trip north and you bring the fellas some luck on Sunday.

Now about Ullger, I confess to not knowing much about the guy other than understanding that fans of the Twins were thrilled when he was dismissed as their hitting coach. Fair or not, he's the guy in the bullseye when people talk about David Ortiz and his time in the Twin Cities. No telling how much Ortiz or his supplements had to do with that, but Ullger is the guy most often cited as a guy who should be moved far from instruction and into a coaches box..

I share your love for Gardenhire but is Ullger really his top aide? I always thought Liddle earned that title.

Beanpot

• 4 weeks later...
The clean looks very good. Unfortunately I am not able to grind a wedge and donknow anybody who is able to do it.

What will be the swingweight for the raw head without grinding?

C10.

Hell if I know, but putting the above words into Google shows that those exact words were written by "Luke Donald" and posted on a golf forum in May of this year. How they managed to show up here in a thread about Eric Wedge, you got me!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/lofiversion/...hp/t192232.html

Beanpot

Eric Wedge and his coaches have been fired today by the Cleveland Indians

He will manage the last 6 games

Hey Sony How you doing friend..........hope all is well.........next fire the Owner

Archived