THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns in the red zone

buster

Guest ATENEARS

I blame the O-line and the play calling. Definately the play calling the past two games, but Jamal Lewis, Vickers, Ali, and the O-line have to give the coaching staff confidence that we can pound it in when we have to.

I say we hand it to Shaun Rogers and let that SOB plow through.

I blame the O-line and the play calling. Definately the play calling the past two games, but Jamal Lewis, Vickers, Ali, and the O-line have to give the coaching staff confidence that we can pound it in when we have to.

That's an interesting idea. On the one hand, it would take away from Rodgers' oxygen-tank time. On the other hand, I've always liked the idea of sending in a d-lineman to plow the way on the goal line, since that's what their job is, anyway.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Belichick do something like that pretty frequently when he was in Cleveland? For some reason, I'm thinking he used James Jones, but I could be wrong about that.

Dennis

Bring back "Touchdown Tommy"! He knew how to find the goal line. Sure, he fell down before he got there, but he knew where it was.

I have an idea, how about we don't go right behind the Damn fullback every time. Every linebacker in this league watches are film on the one yard line and can't wait plow right where the fullback is going to make the tackle. Then we do the same damn play action roll out where the tight end and the fullback slide with the roll out. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. I believe its all play calling.

Getting Ryan Tucker back will work wonders. We sure as heck didn't struggle against NY in the red zone and even ran behind him and Hadnot on one Lewis TD. Shaffer's just not a good goalline drive blocker.

Also, I had absolutely no problem with Chudzinski's playcalling yesterday inside the five-yard line. He tried to run in jumbo, he tried to run in 3-wide, he tried play-action and even the stop fade to Edwards. He pulled out everything, the offense just didn't execute.

I agree with IschY, not just in the red zone but overall creative play calling has been lacking. Granted I haven't been able to watch the Brownies out here much in recent years on the West Coast so I may have missed a few things. But when they ran the "flea flicker" against the Giants my jaw hit the floor. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! This native son doesn't like to stereotype, but sometimes I think the ghost of Woody Hayes haunts all Ohio teams. Obviously you have to be able to execute, but you can't be afraid to be unpredictable.

Browns were wimps in the redzone. We ran the ball effectively then tried to get cute from the 2 yardline. The one time we went double TE and I formation we slammed it in. Sorry but if you have first down on the 2. I say Jamal Lewis 3x... It's effective and you don't have the turnovers.

That's an interesting idea. On the one hand, it would take away from Rodgers' oxygen-tank time. On the other hand, I've always liked the idea of sending in a d-lineman to plow the way on the goal line, since that's what their job is, anyway.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Belichick do something like that pretty frequently when he was in Cleveland? For some reason, I'm thinking he used James Jones, but I could be wrong about that.

Dennis

Bring back "Touchdown Tommy"! He knew how to find the goal line. Sure, he fell down before he got there, but he knew where it was.

I cant remember him doing it in Cleveland but Vrabel has what... 10 career catches and 10 career td's? Not bad for a DL.

Browns were wimps in the redzone. We ran the ball effectively then tried to get cute from the 2 yardline. The one time we went double TE and I formation we slammed it in. Sorry but if you have first down on the 2. I say Jamal Lewis 3x... It's effective and you don't have the turnovers.

Yes Jamal Lewis 3x is fine, but why does he have to run behind Vickers every time??? Can't Jamal create his own whole, or even send Vickers to the right and have Jamal run a counter and go behind the left. It is just confusing to me why when we are trying to slam it in there we run right behind Vickers every time. If you look Vickers isn't even getting through the line and into the end zone which causes a bigger traffic jam and what more person Lewis has to get by. STOP RUNNING BEHIND VICKERS ON THE GOAL LINE EVERY TIME!

If we have the ball close to the goal line, they need to call for DA to just lean forward. He's 6'6"... All he has to do is reach his arms forward with the ball.

When the ball is inside the one yard line, the only play call is a QB sneak. You line up and run it 4 times without even huddling if you have to. I don't get it.

Which brings us to another question...why do we not seem to have any no huddle offense under any circumstance?

Which brings us to another question...why do we not seem to have any no huddle offense under any circumstance?

Probably because we have a hard time getting things right when we do huddle? There still seems to be some "dis-organization" a lot of the time even though

we are half way through the season.

Archived