THE BROWNS BOARD

Running Game compliments the 30-points

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Brady looked good, but played it a little to close to the vest to take all the credit for the 30-points scored.

Taking a closer look at how the running game helped in our scoring drives,

Second Series, TOUCHDOWN:

Jamal had runs of 8, 29 and 3 yards, netting 40 on the ground. Then he lost -4 yards on a 2nd-and-goal-from the 1 yrd line. Quinn hit Stallworth for 18 and cleaned up Lewis' mess with a 5 yrder for the TD to Winslow.

RUN: 36 yrds PASS: 23 yards

Third Series, FIELD GOAL:

Harrison had runs of 13+2+16+13 = 44 yards

Jamal Lewis added runs of 5+4 = 9 yards

An unecessory roughness penalty on Denver aided us 15 yards

Brady Quinn hit Harrison for 9 yards, and had three incomplete passes.

RUN: 53 yrds PASS: 9 yards

Fourth Series, TOUCHDOWN

Set-up by Pool Interception

Lewis no gain on one carry

Brady Quinn hit Heiden for 4 and Winslow put up some yards after the catch to score on a 16 yarder.

RUN: 0 yrds PASS: 20 yards.

Fifth Series, FIELD GOAL

Brady Quinn had passes of 15 (to K2) + 6 (K2) + 14 (Heiden) + 6 (K2) + 2 (to K2 on 3rd&4) = 43 yards

Jamal Lewis had carries of 2 & 0 yards

RUN: 2 yrds PASS: 43 yards

Sixth Series, FIELD GOAL

Josh Cribbs legged 16 yards on a direct snap.

Jamal Lewis carried for 1 yard and had (-2) on a second carry.

Brady Quinn legged 3 yards

Brady Quinn had passes of 15 (to BE) + 1 (Ali) + 10 (to Stall) + inc + inc

RUN: 18 yrds PASS: 35 yards

Nineth Series, TOUCHDOWN

Brady Quinn had passes of: inc + 30 (K2) + 18 (JL) + 5 (Stall)

Cribbs took an end around for 21 yards and was caught for no gain on a second attempt.

Jamal Lewis had rusn of 3 + no gain (2nd&1,from 1) + 1 (TD)

RUN: 25 yrds PASS: 53 yards

On the SIX Scoring Drives the Run/Pass breakdown was:

134 yards Rushing, 183 yards Passing.

It was a very productive Running game last night (for Browns standards) and this directly related to the 30-point total. Had we put up this kind of ground game last week, we would have blown the doors off the Ravens. We had 1 rushing first down last week and 9 last night.

It wasn't necessarily Jamal Lewis, but with direct snaps and end arounds to Cribbs, and some good quick strikes from Harrison. We got the job done on the ground and in both games the Offense has played well enough, and scored enough points, to win the game.

On NON-SCORING Drives, we shot ourselves in the foot on our best non-scoring drive when Braylon was offsides (-5) and Winslow was called for Pass Interference (-10). In the three non-scoring drives we rushed for only 11 yards and passed for 48.

We really need a legit Running Back in his prime to compliment the young QB play. (trying to block-out our horrible defense for now).

Good points Stan.

The more conservative play calling definitely made a huge difference, at least for last night.

I kept reminding everyone ... its DENVER. We thought their defense was even worse than ours... wrong. Their ILB is a STUD. He was the only player able to get pressure all night, and he did it quite a bit.

I think the DB's need to just play man to man and we need to blitz. I saw almost no blitzes last night.

I think I could out-play McGinnist and he has 80lbs on me.

Did our running game look better this week? Yes.

Does that mean Brady only looked good because of our run game? No

The things that made Brady look good in this game was his ability to move around and get the ball to the right guy. DA could have never done that, there would have been far more 3 and outs with DA. I like DA, im not bagging on him but he is not a mobile guy and he needs everything to be just right for him to play well. I dont care how good your line is, your never going to win a championship with a guy that cant adjust and make some plays.

Guest ATENEARS

Defensive ranking of our opponents in 2008 so far:

TEAM OVERALL PASS RUSH SCORING

DAL .... 9 ... 10 ... 17 ... 26

PIT .... 1 .... 1 .... 3 .... 2

BAL .... 2 .... 4 .... 1 .... 5

CIN ... 21 .... 9 ... 24 ... 30

NYG .... 3 .... 2 .... 7 .... 4

WAS .... 4 .... 7 ..... 5 ... 11

JAC ... 23 ... 20 ... 20 ... 13

BAL .... 2 .... 4 .... 1 .... 5

DEN ... 29 ... 27 ... 27 ... 32

We let that game last night slip away. I don't know if 30-points was enough to squeeze out of the Bronco's we only had three drives that we didn't score some points, but maybe we screwed around with a possesion game of too many short passes and runs and should have put some bigger quick hitting drives/gains together ... I don't know, but that was BY FAR the worst defense we lost to this season, every other team we've lost to was Top-10 (easily).

LOL, guess I should have read the rest of your post, thought you was trying to say Brady wasnt that good.

he wouldn't dare say anything like that. Riffer would delete it.

Good thing ole Riffer doesn't delete all your bullshit that I get requested to constantly there Peaches.

Lums, I like you being her too much to get rid of you completely, you're too easy to bitch slap around.

Occasionally I need to swat you on the ass to keep you in line like a good little Manwagonner.

Stan, I'm coming around to your line of thinking on Lewis, I think I'm ready to go majority or at least half the carries to Harrison. Lewis is leaving yards all over the field on cutbacks to the outside that Harrison would easily exploit.

I'm completely perplexed on the refusal to take more of an advantage of this kid's talents.

I have to agree with Stan on Lewis to a point too ..... Harrison did seem to be able to get better cutbacks on some of the inside calls.

and not to start up a different arguement here....

but was it just me, or did we run more toss sweeps last night than I ever remember before? Not that there were a lot, BUt more than I ever remember. and to both Lewis and Harrison. Do you think this hand anything to do with the QB switch?

They were trying to get them out of the box I think.....or at least spread them out.

Guest ATENEARS
Did our running game look better this week? Yes.

Does that mean Brady only looked good because of our run game? No

Actually you might even say that our running game looked good because of Brady. My point wasn't to bash Brady ... but I'm not sure 30-points was enough points scored and we didn't leave a few on the table either.

The things that made Brady look good in this game was his ability to move around and get the ball to the right guy. DA could have never done that, there would have been far more 3 and outs with DA. I like DA, im not bagging on him but he is not a mobile guy and he needs everything to be just right for him to play well. I dont care how good your line is, your never going to win a championship with a guy that cant adjust and make some plays.

I think Winslow bailed Brady out picking passes off his shoelaces more than a few times. It was obvious K2 gave a little extra effort last night. Brady's passes weren't all on the money. us not attempting to throw deep concerns me a bit. was that Chud's design or Brady's execution? We may not see a weaker defense than we did last night. Did we run the ball better because Brady spread the field width-wise or did we run the ball better simply because of who we played?

I saw Brady miss a few passes to favor Winslow. The first TD pass was nearly in triple coverage and we had a man at the goaline in single. I'm not trying to get into it over DA/BQ, but I think this town is gay in raising the hoopla of scoring 30 when we didn't ever attempt to go down field and we had a solid running performance that we haven't had here yet this year, and were facing a weak opponent in which we hadn't seen much of all year.

Had we scored 30 in a WIN while managing the game with the short passing game like we did, no one could complain. But we know how this Defense is, they coughed up a 14-point lead in the second half just four days ago. It was a short week and perhaps we should have opened things up offensively after the great run production early on.

Guest Masters

That first bootleg PA did a bit to setup the tosses and runs off tackle. DEN then had to respect the QB rolling out one way. Next thing you know, they had to respect the run out too.

Guest Masters

....and other teams have had lots of guys in the box.

No they haven't. Nobody put 8 in the box vs the Browns with Anderson under center.

8 in the box is a Charlie Frye and now Brady Quinn phenomenon.

Ha, ha, ha....

Mr. I was giving DA credit for the running game this past offseason and pulling the quote of DA calling Lewis 8 in the box. But I am sure like the other quotes from RAC and Phil you liked to tout, you just don't want to remember them now.

Guest ATENEARS
Now this is the Stan I like to debate with!!

Stan you were at the game. Were there guys running deeper patterns that Quinn either A) missed that they were open, or B) threw to a short reciever quickly and never let it develop?

Because while I agree that while I like Quinns decisiveness and the fact he gets the ball out fast. not every time he did he was under pressure.

So I agree with your question, was the lack of a deep passing game mostly Chuds design? or some of Quinn failing to see it, or failing to wait to let it develop?

Man I wish they'd make the coaches 22 man cam available to the public!!!!

I don't know ... Brady got rid of the ball real quick and I agree with you that a few times he had plenty of more time to use.

I wasn't in our usual seats, we were in club seats last night and had the sideline view, not the corner end zone view I'm wired for ... I just can't tell you if there was anyone running deep patterns, which means there probably wasn't. I also can't exactaly say that he missed open receivers, as he got rid of the ball pretty much before anyone finished their routes. He got good results going to the Winslow well, I just don't think winslow gets enough seperation for such 'pre-determined passes'.

Brady had a good 'safe' outing. He's gotta feel like if he makes one mistake he could go without seeing the field for another 20 games, so it is just not a good situation that we've put these two in.

Guest Masters
Quinn was throwing the ball TOO quick at times. He needs to settle down on that.

Can't argue with that Russ. There were times where they were either obvious quick strikes (or Brady miss read that a blitz was gonna come) and he fired it in.

I wish I didn't have to wait over week to see him play again. The next game will be much more telling.

Quinn was throwing the ball TOO quick at times. He needs to settle down on that.

Can't argue with that Russ. There were times where they were either obvious quick strikes (or Brady miss read that a blitz was gonna come) and he fired it in.

I wish I didn't have to wait over week to see him play again. The next game will be much more telling.

Well, I'd rather have him slightly rushing things and being decisive his first start then watch him look like Frye and be afraid to make a decision. Some of those though, it's like damn, just wait for the guy to cut first.

Brady looked good, but played it a little to close to the vest to take all the credit for the 30-points scored.

Taking a closer look at how the running game helped in our scoring drives,

Second Series, TOUCHDOWN:

Jamal had runs of 8, 29 and 3 yards, netting 40 on the ground. Then he lost -4 yards on a 2nd-and-goal-from the 1 yrd line. Quinn hit Stallworth for 18 and cleaned up Lewis' mess with a 5 yrder for the TD to Winslow.

RUN: 36 yrds PASS: 23 yards

Third Series, FIELD GOAL:

Harrison had runs of 13+2+16+13 = 44 yards

Jamal Lewis added runs of 5+4 = 9 yards

An unecessory roughness penalty on Denver aided us 15 yards

Brady Quinn hit Harrison for 9 yards, and had three incomplete passes.

RUN: 53 yrds PASS: 9 yards

Fourth Series, TOUCHDOWN

Set-up by Pool Interception

Lewis no gain on one carry

Brady Quinn hit Heiden for 4 and Winslow put up some yards after the catch to score on a 16 yarder.

RUN: 0 yrds PASS: 20 yards.

Fifth Series, FIELD GOAL

Brady Quinn had passes of 15 (to K2) + 6 (K2) + 14 (Heiden) + 6 (K2) + 2 (to K2 on 3rd&4) = 43 yards

Jamal Lewis had carries of 2 & 0 yards

RUN: 2 yrds PASS: 43 yards

Sixth Series, FIELD GOAL

Josh Cribbs legged 16 yards on a direct snap.

Jamal Lewis carried for 1 yard and had (-2) on a second carry.

Brady Quinn legged 3 yards

Brady Quinn had passes of 15 (to BE) + 1 (Ali) + 10 (to Stall) + inc + inc

RUN: 18 yrds PASS: 35 yards

Nineth Series, TOUCHDOWN

Brady Quinn had passes of: inc + 30 (K2) + 18 (JL) + 5 (Stall)

Cribbs took an end around for 21 yards and was caught for no gain on a second attempt.

Jamal Lewis had rusn of 3 + no gain (2nd&1,from 1) + 1 (TD)

RUN: 25 yrds PASS: 53 yards

On the SIX Scoring Drives the Run/Pass breakdown was:

134 yards Rushing, 183 yards Passing.

It was a very productive Running game last night (for Browns standards) and this directly related to the 30-point total. Had we put up this kind of ground game last week, we would have blown the doors off the Ravens. We had 1 rushing first down last week and 9 last night.

It wasn't necessarily Jamal Lewis, but with direct snaps and end arounds to Cribbs, and some good quick strikes from Harrison. We got the job done on the ground and in both games the Offense has played well enough, and scored enough points, to win the game.

On NON-SCORING Drives, we shot ourselves in the foot on our best non-scoring drive when Braylon was offsides (-5) and Winslow was called for Pass Interference (-10). In the three non-scoring drives we rushed for only 11 yards and passed for 48.

We really need a legit Running Back in his prime to compliment the young QB play. (trying to block-out our horrible defense for now).

Harrison has looked pretty legit to me when he has played...time to see what he can bring to the table before browns head into the draft, dontcha think?

Guest ATENEARS

I loved the drafting of Harrison, but then he fell into my dog house fairly quickly as he just couldn't break tackles, and wasn't nearly fast enough for the NFL as he was in College. Although he's appeared quick.

I warmed to the idea of him working out with Jamal in past off-season(s), but attended the training camps and couldn't see where any of that was helping him on the field. You could definately see that he had bulked up, but it wasn't translating into better play.

I seen what everyone else did which was Harrison getting 15+ a crack. I mocked the idea of him getting more carries ... HOWEVER, I'm ready to take that chance with him. I think we need to give Harrison the reins and diminish Jamal's role.

Harrison was an absolute stud in college, but then again I could say the same thing for Lee Suggs. I just really hope that Harrison pans out and is worth the wait, and hopefully it ain't until after we already trade back up into the first round for a RB that slipped into the late first round.

Find out how much Harrison can carry NOW!!!

I loved the drafting of Harrison, but then he fell into my dog house fairly quickly as he just couldn't break tackles, and wasn't nearly fast enough for the NFL as he was in College. Although he's appeared quick.

I warmed to the idea of him working out with Jamal in past off-season(s), but attended the training camps and couldn't see where any of that was helping him on the field. You could definately see that he had bulked up, but it wasn't translating into better play.

I seen what everyone else did which was Harrison getting 15+ a crack. I mocked the idea of him getting more carries ... HOWEVER, I'm ready to take that chance with him. I think we need to give Harrison the reins and diminish Jamal's role.

Harrison was an absolute stud in college, but then again I could say the same thing for Lee Suggs. I just really hope that Harrison pans out and is worth the wait, and hopefully it ain't until after we already trade back up into the first round for a RB that slipped into the late first round.

Find out how much Harrison can carry NOW!!!

I 100% agree we need to see what he brings...before April

Not tying to Rain on the Brady~ Love Fest.

But The Bronco`s are Ranked: 27th in Passing Yrds. Allowed 27 in Rushing Yards Allowed 29th in TDs allowed. And 32nd in Scoring Defense.

That said Brady Quinn looked relaxed and confident. I wonder if Derek Anderson wouldn't have done similar or possibly better , in THIS game. I am not knocking Quinn , BUT, he Needs to look good against of of the NFL`s poorest Defensive Units.

So coming up for Quinn : Buffalo Has a Defense in the top 15 or better in all these categories...Houston D is Mediocre and the Indy D Good against the Pass and the Pass alone. So the Road not overly tough for Beady to start off and Confidence is importance. Though this week is a Much better D than what he saw last nite ! It will be interesting !

FIRST Brady played well. He was efficient and looked comfortable. He did throw high and low and miss. We did throw 3 times in the redzone to score and could not just like the game against Baltimore.

Just like baltimore we scored 27+ points and were up by 10+ and in the end of the third and 4th quarter our defense melted down.

We ran well in the first half and we had stallworth. We also used Cribbs unlike in the Baltimore game we did not do any of those things.

We as a team duplicated the exact same game except against a MUCH WEAKER DEFENSE. Both qbs tossed 2 tds and missed on a redzone attempt. BQ had the advantage of better playcalling because we actually could rush and having stallworth along with Winslow lining up in the slot one on one against a number 3 db. Quinn did not see the pressure nor the exotic defenses the Raven have. So techinically DA had less to work with against a much better defense and put up good numbers with more working against him in personnel and team rushing help.

ITS NOT DA NOR THE QB POSITION. BQ did not stretch the field at all. Honestly I think DA probably would have put up more tds. Either way our TEAM has massive problems. This game back to back against a much weaker defense just showed us how bad our D was.

Guest Masters
FIRST Brady played well. He was efficient and looked comfortable. He did throw high and low and miss. We did throw 3 times in the redzone to score and could not just like the game against Baltimore.

Just like baltimore we scored 27+ points and were up by 10+ and in the end of the third and 4th quarter our defense melted down.

We ran well in the first half and we had stallworth. We also used Cribbs unlike in the Baltimore game we did not do any of those things.

We as a team duplicated the exact same game except against a MUCH WEAKER DEFENSE. Both qbs tossed 2 tds and missed on a redzone attempt. BQ had the advantage of better playcalling because we actually could rush and having stallworth along with Winslow lining up in the slot one on one against a number 3 db. Quinn did not see the pressure nor the exotic defenses the Raven have. So techinically DA had less to work with against a much better defense and put up good numbers with more working against him in personnel and team rushing help.

ITS NOT DA NOR THE QB POSITION. BQ did not stretch the field at all. Honestly I think DA probably would have put up more tds. Either way our TEAM has massive problems. This game back to back against a much weaker defense just showed us how bad our D was.

There is one difference missing from the BALT game.

4th Quarter of the BALT GAME:

Cleveland - 13:52

1st-10, CLE20 13:52 J. Lewis rushed to the left for no gain

2nd-10, CLE20 13:20 J. Lewis rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

3rd-7, CLE23 12:36 D. Anderson incomplete pass down the middle

4th-7, CLE23 12:13 D. Zastudil punt. Y. Figurs returned punt for 6 yard loss

Cleveland - 9:57

1st-10, CLE8 9:57 CLE committed 4 yard penalty

1st-14, CLE4 9:40 J. Lewis rushed to the left for 3 yard gain

2nd-11, CLE7 9:01 J. Lewis rushed to the right for 3 yard gain

3rd-8, CLE10 8:20 D. Anderson passed to K. Winslow down the middle for 6 yard gain

4th-2, CLE16 7:30 D. Zastudil punt. E. Reed returned punt for 8 yards

Baltimore - 5:36

BAL kicked off, J. Cribbs returned kickoff for 38 yards

Cleveland - 5:27

1st-10, CLE40 5:27 J. Wright rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, CLE42 4:55 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the left

3rd-8, CLE42 4:47 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the right

4th-8, CLE42 4:30 D. Zastudil punt. J. Leonhard returned punt for 1 yard. BAL committed 7 yard penalty

Cleveland - 3:25

1st-10, CLE44 3:25 D. Anderson rushed to the right for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, CLE46 3:00 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the left

3rd-8, CLE46 2:43 T. Suggs intercepted D. Anderson for 42 yard touchdown

Cleveland - 2:38

1st-10, CLE40 2:38 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the right

2nd-10, CLE40 2:32 D. Anderson passed to J. Wright down the middle for 12 yard gain

1st-10, BAL48 2:25 D. Anderson rushed to the right for 6 yard gain

2nd-4, BAL42 2:18 D. Anderson incomplete pass down the middle

3rd-4, BAL42 2:14 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the left

4th-4, BAL42 2:04 D. Anderson incomplete pass to the left

D is a big, big, big issue for CLE. But unlike last week CLE moved the ball and put points on the board in the 4th quarter.

Masters Baltimore D versus Denver.... We could not run and we did not have STallworth. Brady did fine with more against a WEAK D.

The offense can score thats its job. DA did more with less against a much better defensive team. Brady did great on his first game.

Its not the qb spot that is the problem, it is injuries and personnel offensively (be) our rushing game against eveyone except denver who is terrible. DA is the fall guy, BQ whiffed in the endzone in three attempts just like DA did except against a weak d and very little pressure.

BQ had a running game to ease the defense against the pass something DA did not have the benefit in except maybe in the Giants game.

BQ threw in the dirt and overpass along with low passes and was bailed out just like DA was by KW. No one booed, it is a perception issue with the fans with DA because we drafted BQ. It is our other TEAM personnel. Cribbs for me was the MVP with KW next followed by BQ.

I have been trying to point to other team factors and get shouted down because of all of the BQ fandom. NOW after two identical weeks of TEAM collapse in the 3rd and 4th we lose at home with a 13 + point lead. BOTH of these guys in different ways are going to probably produce similar results because of our team issues. BQ will not lengthen the field but will be more efficient in the short game. DA will be less efficient but will stretch the field and made bigger plays. BQ without Stallworth lessening the pressure on KW and BE without a running game to compliment him against good defenses is something we have not seen yet.

Honestly I dont care which one of these two plays but the fans and media need to look at why the TEAM is still failing even with this change.

Guest Masters

JADBF, HERE! HERE!

As to your points OSUSEV, they are for the most part valid (missing players is never an excuse, as people have shown, see NO and a slew of other teams or who they played). I can certainly pick a different game in which DA did the same thing against a less D. How about Cincy for 3 quarters this year or the 2nd CINY game last year, WAS, BUF last year, ARZ...).

Bringing in BQ doesn't fix all the problems for CLE and suddenly make them a winner. But you change what you can to fix those issues you can and DA had problems that hurt the team. Not to the magnatude of the bad coaching, play calling, leadership, or the D (the greatest issue). But they were there and if BQ eliminates those failures, that is one less. You put out the fires you can. DA just happened to be one of those.

You know...

I am getting SO FING GOD DAMN TIRED OF people and thier "I've been trying to get people to talk about the rest of the team....BLAH BLAH BLAH......"

We all had issues with the way the defense has played, almost every person who prefers BQ over DA has also had problems with the offenseive play calling even when DA was in. And we talked about it.

Get off your freaking high horses already.

Everyone understands there are many more problems besides DA with this team. BUt just because we belive that BQ qwill give this team a better chance to win, and have been saying that for a while, Doesn't mean we haven't seen the problems with the rest of the team.

Get over yourselves.

Funny, it's the guys who come in and post in one thread that always do it, too. They don't read the whole board and just start spouting off, meanwhile most of us have beat every issue to death, but we'll get the proverbial tongue lashing for supposedly blaming DA for why Hurricane Katrina happened.

Please i have been getting shouted down for so long and now that the truth has been finally so obvious because the demand that BQ needs to play and its all DA blah blah blah.

DA played well last week with much less help and against a much better defense. DA against this defense with the run game and stallworth with kellen in the slot one on one against a number three db would have put up better numbers and we possibly could have won.

Brady did good with more against much worse, Like ate (not like lum) i have tried to argue these points and was called names and whatever. DA over the last 5 games was 7tds and 2 ints 200 yds a game 85+ qb rating against really good defenses and played with much less run support and reciever personnel.

It does not matter because BQ will play out the rest of the season and we will see what happens.

Guest Masters

When you combine the games, he was that (and if you throw out the NYG game which inflates that stat it drops a back down to the actual reality of a QBR in the 70's). But when did one of those two picks come? How many were dropped by DBs on the other team? How many times did the O have basic issues w/ snap count and lining up? How many times was there aweful clock management that was on the QB?

Again, DA was a lesser issue than the D has been, but he was a problem.

Archived