THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Tennessee Score More Than Troy Against Florida?

dencyguy

What a mess of a game today in Neyland. Jonathon Crompton sucked out loud today, throwing three picks and fumbling a snap (although Kiffin said after the game that the center snapped the ball on the wrong count). The sad thing is that at the start of the Vols' final drive, the fans were chanting his name to try to pump him up. It was a weird thing, too--you always wonder where chants start, but in this case it was the guy next to me (and a buddy of mine). He started the chant, then some of the drunken undergrads around us, and before you knew it everyone was chanting "Let's go Crompton!" Then he went out, threw a ball away, took a sack, threw another bad pass, threw a pick that got called back because of a penalty, then threw a bad pass again. Great job.

You want to know how bad the offense was today? Probably not, but you're getting it anyway. Tennessee got the ball to start the second half. About halfway through the third quarter (not that I'm anal retentive about this, but at 7:40 in the third), they punted away. No big deal, right? No, unless you consider that it was the team's third completed drive of the quarter. First drive--one play, Crompton picked. Next two drives, three and out. By the way, UCLA managed two field goal drives in the gaps between UT possessions.

Another good barometer of how well Tennessee is playing: watch when they play "Rocky Top." On a good day, they play it on scores and turnovers. Today they played it after the team picked up a third and three. They played it when Jonathon Crompton slid after a four-yard run and got hit late--albeit not that hard--for a personal foul. That was the best offensive play of the second half: our QB fell down and someone ran into him. That got the fight song.

Great moments in coaching: on the Vols' next to last drive, our starting RB Montario Hardesty got hurt and had to be helped off the field. A couple plays later, it's fourth and one from the one. Lane Kiffin has the #1 ranked RB recruit in the country, who didn't get that much work in the game. So what does he do? He puts the injured guy back in. Shockingly enough, he doesn't get in.

I'm just disgusted about the game. Obviously I didn't think every game would be as easy as WKU, but I didn't think the team would fall back down to earth quite so hard. He got killed for his playcalling, but today might help to explain why Phil Fulmer never threw the ball last year. An awful game, and not even Layla Kiffin can make it better.

layla-kiffin-758606.JPG

Okay, maybe she makes it a little better.

Dennis

Normally, Jim Rome bothers me, but I still listen to his show. Good info, good topics - he just gets to phrase-y.

I have to admit, his boner for the Kiffin/Meyer subplot has got me (usually only moderately interested in the SEC) pretty excited for the game. As Rome has pointed out - Meyer is a vindictive m-effer on the field. Should be interesting.

How are you preparing for this Saturday, Dennis (for me, it'd be like Weiss calling out Pete Carroll for the past two years - I'd be terrified)?

Ryen Russillo (on the Scott Van Pelt Show) made a very valid point about this game on Wednesday's show. Simply put....all the sports media have been hyping this game up since spring as if it's going to be some sort of "can't miss" game, but the reality of it is that the game will be over before the end of the 1st quarter. Pregame storylines only hold interest when there's an actual competition going on. It's going to be one the most anticlimactic points (for those consumed by that hype) of the entire decade in sports. Hell, look at the title of this very thread, which was started by a die-hard Vol fan - nobody in their right mind expects this to be an actual "game."

The only thing that would keep this game even remotely interesting after about 10 minutes would be if Kiffykins took over the broadcast booth and started spewing forth personal insults at Urban Liar while crying like a little bitch about how Eric Berry is going to be gone next year.

EDIT: And Legacy is exactly right.....it would be just like Weis calling out Pete Carroll (whose last name is a girl's name.)

What a mess of a game today in Neyland. Jonathon Crompton sucked out loud today, throwing three picks and fumbling a snap (although Kiffin said after the game that the center snapped the ball on the wrong count). The sad thing is that at the start of the Vols' final drive, the fans were chanting his name to try to pump him up. It was a weird thing, too--you always wonder where chants start, but in this case it was the guy next to me (and a buddy of mine). He started the chant, then some of the drunken undergrads around us, and before you knew it everyone was chanting "Let's go Crompton!" Then he went out, threw a ball away, took a sack, threw another bad pass, threw a pick that got called back because of a penalty, then threw a bad pass again. Great job.

You want to know how bad the offense was today? Probably not, but you're getting it anyway. Tennessee got the ball to start the second half. About halfway through the third quarter (not that I'm anal retentive about this, but at 7:40 in the third), they punted away. No big deal, right? No, unless you consider that it was the team's third completed drive of the quarter. First drive--one play, Crompton picked. Next two drives, three and out. By the way, UCLA managed two field goal drives in the gaps between UT possessions.

Another good barometer of how well Tennessee is playing: watch when they play "Rocky Top." On a good day, they play it on scores and turnovers. Today they played it after the team picked up a third and three. They played it when Jonathon Crompton slid after a four-yard run and got hit late--albeit not that hard--for a personal foul. That was the best offensive play of the second half: our QB fell down and someone ran into him. That got the fight song.

Great moments in coaching: on the Vols' next to last drive, our starting RB Montario Hardesty got hurt and had to be helped off the field. A couple plays later, it's fourth and one from the one. Lane Kiffin has the #1 ranked RB recruit in the country, who didn't get that much work in the game. So what does he do? He puts the injured guy back in. Shockingly enough, he doesn't get in.

I'm just disgusted about the game. Obviously I didn't think every game would be as easy as WKU, but I didn't think the team would fall back down to earth quite so hard. He got killed for his playcalling, but today might help to explain why Phil Fulmer never threw the ball last year. An awful game, and not even Layla Kiffin can make it better.

layla-kiffin-758606.JPG

Okay, maybe she makes it a little better.

Dennis

Oh....she is a Florida Gator Gal.....pretty typical really ;)

I have to admit, his boner for the Kiffin/Meyer subplot has got me (usually only moderately interested in the SEC) pretty excited for the game. As Rome has pointed out - Meyer is a vindictive m-effer on the field. Should be interesting.

How are you preparing for this Saturday, Dennis (for me, it'd be like Weiss calling out Pete Carroll for the past two years - I'd be terrified)?

I would be pleasantly surprised if Tennessee beats the spread (I don't know what's sicker--the fact that it's 30 points, or the fact that when I think about ways it can turn out, only 20% of the possibilities end with the game that close), and I'll be downright shocked if Florida ends the fourth quarter with all of its timeouts.

A few thoughts/predictions for the game:

1. Florida covers by at least a touchdown.

2. It won't be a team-breaker for Tennessee, but it might be a career-breaker for Jonathan Crompton. Which is a shame--he's has put up with a lot of crap from Tennessee fans, and I dislike people attacking college kids for the way they play for free for our enjoyment. That said, if his QB rating doesn't top, say, 60 (not a given), it might be his lost shot as a starter. With more of a gimme opponent coming in next week in Ohio Univeristy, it would be a logical time to give a new QB a shot.

3. Meyer has pulled Tebow really early the first couple of weeks.

4. Speaking of Tebow, he'll spend the game the way he usually does, by answering the eternal question, "What would Jesus do?" by pumping his chest for sixty minutes and then planning his next assault on the genitals of little brown children.

5. No, I'm not kidding about that last one. Faith is one thing, self-congratulation and amateur circumcision enthusiasm are another.

6. I'm still not sold on Lane Kiffin, but one thing I like about him is this: after losing to Steve Spurrier, Phil Fulmer would lay in bed all night wondering, "Am I ever going to beat him? My hunch is that after Urban Meyer spanks him tomorrow, Kiffin is going to go to sleep absolutely convinced that he's going to win next year.

As to the question of what I'm doing before the game, it involves beer and checking the television listings to see what games start at 3:45.

Dennis

I would be pleasantly surprised if Tennessee beats the spread (I don't know what's sicker--the fact that it's 30 points, or the fact that when I think about ways it can turn out, only 20% of the possibilities end with the game that close), and I'll be downright shocked if Florida ends the fourth quarter with all of its timeouts.

A few thoughts/predictions for the game:

1. Florida covers by at least a touchdown.

2. It won't be a team-breaker for Tennessee, but it might be a career-breaker for Jonathan Crompton. Which is a shame--he's has put up with a lot of crap from Tennessee fans, and I dislike people attacking college kids for the way they play for free for our enjoyment. That said, if his QB rating doesn't top, say, 60 (not a given), it might be his lost shot as a starter. With more of a gimme opponent coming in next week in Ohio Univeristy, it would be a logical time to give a new QB a shot.

3. Meyer has pulled Tebow really early the first couple of weeks.

4. Speaking of Tebow, he'll spend the game the way he usually does, by answering the eternal question, "What would Jesus do?" by pumping his chest for sixty minutes and then planning his next assault on the genitals of little brown children.

5. No, I'm not kidding about that last one. Faith is one thing, self-congratulation and amateur circumcision enthusiasm are another.

6. I'm still not sold on Lane Kiffin, but one thing I like about him is this: after losing to Steve Spurrier, Phil Fulmer would lay in bed all night wondering, "Am I ever going to beat him? My hunch is that after Urban Meyer spanks him tomorrow, Kiffin is going to go to sleep absolutely convinced that he's going to win next year.

As to the question of what I'm doing before the game, it involves beer and checking the television listings to see what games start at 3:45.

Dennis

Good stuff...and I am out the door for the 6.5 hour dive to see it up close and personal. I will give you a report when i return.

I may catch a few hours back this way after the game, so it should be by mid morning since i like to be back will in time for the Browns.

Later

Archived