THE BROWNS BOARD

Inglorious Bastards review

Inglorious Bastards

Weinstein

R 152 min

So as it happened Adam the manager, a guy named John and yours truly stood around the Montrose 12 hallway right after Quentin Tarantino’s latest blockbuster INGLORIOUS BASTARDS and found we shared one thought. That thought was that Tarantino’s high water mark was undoubtedly the bold fresh PULP FICTION and that he hasn’t hit that lofty point since.

That’s not to say there haven’t been flashes of brilliance among his manic self-indulgent works. Far from it; when he does crap it’s really cool crap.

INGLORIOUS BASTARDS is really cool crap.

Tarantino seems like the guy who’s hailed as a genius early in life and is given wide berth from that point on.

Here he’s taken a new direction, that is a film with no karate or cheesy monsters in it (!) and given us a violent fable set in the surreal days of World War Two.

Here we’ll meet Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) a rough tough cigar chomping Nazi ass kicking son of a bitch, who with his squad of equally gritty Jewish American soldiers, pledges to inflict as much damage on Hitler’s boys as possible.

His foil is Hans “The Jew Hunter” Landa (Christoph Waltz) as brilliant and sinister a villain as you’ll find in any film. Allow me to say that Waltz deserves an Academy nomination whether he gets one or not.

In the early and riveting farmhouse scene the cocky Landa allows a young Jewish girl (Melanie Laurent) to escape the death sentence he imposes on the rest of her family.

As it will come to pass, this was probably a grave mistake.

Under an assumed identity, she’ll eventually own a Paris cinema in which Goebbles and company plan a Nazi propaganda debut.

She and some disaffected third Reich insiders will be a part of a grand scheme to exact revenge on the Nazi higher ups.

That story and Lt Raine’s will interweave over time and result in an ending that had me shaking my head with a smile. OK Quentin, that was different.

On the downside I thought the tale was a bit convoluted and long, though that’s not to say the suspense isn’t real; it is.

I also wasn’t choked up by Pitt’s performance as he seemed so slip into the Moe Howard “Colonel Beauregard” southern accent. It wasn’t horrid but it’s definitely not up to the twist ending or the stellar performance of Waltz.

B

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived