THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 season

Solon16

Guest Aloysius
Wow...with 8 minutes left in the third Qtr...Cincy has 22 first downs....against Rutgers...WOW! Pike looking like the real deal!

He reminds me a lot of Matt Cassel: tall, mobile, accurate, but inexperienced.

I have a feeling that NFL teams are going to fall in love with his growth potential. But he'll need to display better poise and decisionmaking against tough defenses - that was a big problem for him last year.

He reminds me a lot of Matt Cassel: tall, mobile, accurate, but inexperienced.

I have a feeling that NFL teams are going to fall in love with his growth potential. But he'll need to display better poise and decisionmaking against tough defenses - that was a big problem for him last year.

Well today he made good decisions and looked very poised to me...surgical drives

Well today he made good decisions and looked very poised to me...surgical drives

Against Rutgers.

Perhaps you skimmed over the part about "against tough defenses" in Alo's post.

Pike looked all-world last year too, at times....just not against any good defenses.

Guess you skimmed over the part where I said... Today!

Not at all. You said Pike looks like the "real deal."

Had you followed Pike at all prior to "today," you'd realize that this was not some groundbreaking personal performance on his part. He's had all-universe level performances in the past too, but they haven't come against teams with tough defenses.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, I really like Pike, but I need to see him pick apart a good defense. And while he played very well yesterday, that pick on the screen play was pretty bad. Those mistakes get compounded when he plays a tough D.

Here are some guys who impressed me this week:

• - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

- Jason Worilds, DE, Virginia Tech

- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

- Eric Norwood, DE-LB, South Carolina

- Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

- Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois

- Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

- Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU

- David Gettis, WR, Baylor

- Ricardo Matthews, DE-DT, Cincinnati

Yeah, I really like Pike, but I need to see him pick apart a good defense. And while he played very well yesterday, that pick on the screen play was pretty bad. Those mistakes get compounded when he plays a tough D.

Here are some guys who impressed me this week:

• - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

- Jason Worilds, DE, Virginia Tech

- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

- Eric Norwood, DE-LB, South Carolina

- Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

- Jon Asamoah, OG, Illinois

- Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota

- Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU

- David Gettis, WR, Baylor

- Ricardo Matthews, DE-DT, Cincinnati

Boy you love your D-lineman...lol...I also love Pitta's game... he is a beast! The Buckeye's are in trouble is they don't stop the run against USC....Stefon Jonhson is a beast too!

Not at all. You said Pike looks like the "real deal."

Had you followed Pike at all prior to "today," you'd realize that this was not some groundbreaking personal performance on his part. He's had all-universe level performances in the past too, but they haven't come against teams with tough defenses.

Again for the remedial:( Not at all. You said Pike looks like the "real deal.") TODAY!

"Well today he made good decisions and looked very poised to me...surgical drives"

The fact is he did! are you disputing what I said or just being a fkn dk! i didn't say anything about last year, or what defense's he played against....etc. this thread is about who impressed me THIS weekend! Instead of being a dk....post who impressed you!

Guest Aloysius

Jones won't look as good in highlights because

• 1. he's constantly double-teamed

2. he isn't much of a pass-rusher

But he's a legit 3-4 DE prospect - perhaps a better version of Kenyon Coleman. I think he's a mid/late Round 1 guy.

McCoy would be better off in a one gap system, where he could do his best Warren Sapp impersonation. But he could also play end in a 3-4. Not sure he's better in an odd man front than Ndamukong Suh, though; "House of Spears" is stronger and better at shedding blocks.

I know you have Mad love for the Diline...but I tend to look at the College football season in terms of need for the Browns and their draft.

As I'd like to have a stud rusher...I have to say I think the Browns D-line is in the upper echelon in the league....and we have great depth. So my focus is on the Safety,Corner, linebackers and RB....it silly but that's how I look at it.

Guest Aloysius

If the plan is to move Veikune inside, the Browns' most dire front seven need is at outside linebacker, not inside. And for those, you mostly look at college DE's who are athletic enough to play linebacker: guys like Worilds, Norwood, and possibly Graham.

And it's worth checking out the d-linemen, considering that the Browns' ends are either over 30 (Coleman, R. Smith) or likely to be cut (C. Williams). Mosley's the only guy with 4-5 good years left, and he's only signed through next year.

Next year's d-tackle class probably will be the best since '02, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns take one in the early rounds.

No way we cut williams...trade maybe...this line has a good 3 years in it as a hell of a solid unit...We need a Monster olb, I think and have forever that we need a Monster ILB....But what this team absolutely needs is two(i'll take 1) top tier safeties...I truly hope we snag Berry somehow next year...Mays is a freak but I'd rather have Berry, by far!

Guest Aloysius
Parrish Cox DB Okla st. #16

Looks much better than last year, when he excelled on specials but looked a bit slow to react on D.

He has the size and speed to be a very good starting corner. Should be interesting to see how he plays the rest of the year.

Another guy to watch: safety Lucien Antoine. Definitely seems like a Mangini guy - a totally self-made player with a lot of toughnness.

Guest Aloysius
Kendall hunter out of game...Aloy, did you see the run by Beau Jonhson...his replacement? #2

No, I'm watching the UCLA-Tenn game.

Damn, UCLA DT Brian Price is good. He's Peria Jeria's doppelganger, only more durable.

I'm disappointed to hear Hunter got hurt. He showed flashes of returning to his old self last week, but I thought he more often looked like he did after the knee scope late last year: a little slow, tentative, and not all that physical.

Hopefully, the injury isn't serious.

No, I'm watching the UCLA-Tenn game.

Damn, UCLA DT Brian Price is good. He's Peria Jeria's doppelganger, only more durable.

I can vouch for that having attended the game. Jonathon Crompton being, well, Jonathon Crompton aside, UCLA's whole defense was stout. They owned the offensive line for almost the entire game, and they got good pressure whenever Tennessee tried to throw the ball.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, Price's backup also pushed around the Vols' o-line.

But I thought Dan Williams played well. Still not sure why reputable sites don't see him getting drafted; sure, he's not much of a pass rusher, but he's a pretty good space eater inside. Monte Kiffin seems to be making good use of him, as well as rangy linebacker Rico McCoy.

And Eric Berry's still Eric Berry, despite a "did God just fart?" missed tackle early in the game. He looked much better than Taylor Mays did tonight.

Locher @ wash is going to be a damn good QB in the pro's!

love the thompson kid(LB) from Tenn....was all over the field @Fla.... Spikes was hardly mentioned. Eric Berry is a Phenom.

The TE from ND looked pretty damn good yesterday as well #9...can't recall his name.

Colt McCoy had about the worst game I've seen him play...(PS) Not an excuse but had the flu and didn't practice the entire week...didn't here them mention it on TV.

Worilds looked damn good against Neb. Can't win on the road in big game with Fg's.

• 2 weeks later...

Alo and I have talked about him, but Darrell Stuckey from Kansas is a guy I'm huge on. Obviously I'd go Berry first - I think he's one of the top five prospects in the last ten years. Mays has athleticism you can't ignore. But Stuckey is a round two guy for sure. He's third on the list, and no slouch himself, especially if he runs well in Indy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2DlSp6-d0

I think this is a great year for safeties. Chad Jones made some sick plays that saved the game for LSU against Miss. State last week, and is a sick athlete as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived