THE BROWNS BOARD

It's official. Mangini is NOT telling the Vikes who will start at QB

OconRecon

Updated 10:55 a.m.

Browns coach Eric Mangini said Monday he's made his decision on a starting quarterback, but will keep his identity internal and not reveal it to the Vikings, Sunday's season opening opponent.

He said he will tell the two quarterbacks in the "near future'' in separate conversations with each of them. He said he'll explain to them why and how the decision was made. He said as a defensive coordinator, it's difficult to prepare for an offense when the quarterback is unknown.

He said he expects both quarterbacks to prepare as though they're the starter. He added that both have prepared and competed at a high level. "It was thorough and detailed and we looked at the whole body of work,'' said Mangini. "It was extensive. I feel strongly about the improvement both guys made.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._eric_ma_5.html

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One gets the feeling that whichever guy gets the start they had better run with it because no 2 is breathing down their neck just waiting for what could be their last chance....;)

The vikes preperation for DA is simple enough bring just enough pressure to flush him a bit and DBs stay just out of the lanes and watch the QBs eyes move into the area of the intended WR for the pick just as DA is releasing...hehehehehe

He said as a defensive coordinator, it's difficult to prepare for an offense when the quarterback is unknown.

[...]

He said he expects both quarterbacks to prepare as though they're the starter.

Two thoughts:

1. It can't be that hard to prepare not knowing who the starter is going to be. It's not like they'll give DA's receivers a ten-yard cushion (because he doessn't like throwing short) or stop covering Footlong Boy's receivers after ten yards (because he likes the possession passing game more).

2. Wouldn't "preparing as though [you're] the starter imply, I dunno, getting the snaps with the first team in the week leading up to the opener? It's not like either Quinn or Anderson has demonstrated that they're fixing to become the next Joe Montana. Not naming a starter now, combined with the decision to not play anyone in the preseason finale, does nothing to help that.

Look, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but with all of the "Isn't Mangini a breath of fresh air? This is going to be sooooooo much better than RAC!" posts out there, I think it needs to be said: aside from perhaps being more organized in practice, it's not like he's fixed all of the systemic problems from the old regime. Bringing in lots of players that your old employer didn't feel like fighting you for? Check. Complete inability to make a decision about your team's key position? Check (not: even if RAC did toss a coin, at least he stuck with what the coin said for a couple of weeks).

We're going into the regular season with the #1 offense having scored how many touchdowns? And they did so against the Titans' #2 defense, if I recall.

I'm just not buying the logic of, "Look how organized he is! Things must be better!" I think the team will get better this year, because last season was something of a perfect storm. That said, Mangini's handling of the QB situation--it's not that important who starts--suggests one of two things. First, that he's already pretty much accepted that whoever starts this year won't be starting next year, and that this year is just about getting the system in place so that the guy he drafts in 2010 will be able to jump right in. Second, that he looks at an oaf who has a cannon arm but a penchant for throwing picks, a pretty boy whose qualifications include beating up on service academies and the ability to have his hair look perfect as he's watching Jumbotron replays of an interception in a bowl game, neither of whom can beat the other one out, and thinks that this is so perfect, they might as well stop practicing now. In which case he's delusional.

Dennis

This is just plain dumb.

I support Mangini and like the approach he has taken.

But to take it this far? This is past the point of ridiculous. Were not talking about high school football here. This is the NFL, and if you think for a second this is going to help anything whatsoever, especially against the Vikings D.

This is Retarded.

Two thoughts:

1. It can't be that hard to prepare not knowing who the starter is going to be. It's not like they'll give DA's receivers a ten-yard cushion (because he doessn't like throwing short) or stop covering Footlong Boy's receivers after ten yards (because he likes the possession passing game more).

2. Wouldn't "preparing as though [you're] the starter imply, I dunno, getting the snaps with the first team in the week leading up to the opener? It's not like either Quinn or Anderson has demonstrated that they're fixing to become the next Joe Montana. Not naming a starter now, combined with the decision to not play anyone in the preseason finale, does nothing to help that.

Look, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but with all of the "Isn't Mangini a breath of fresh air? This is going to be sooooooo much better than RAC!" posts out there, I think it needs to be said: aside from perhaps being more organized in practice, it's not like he's fixed all of the systemic problems from the old regime. Bringing in lots of players that your old employer didn't feel like fighting you for? Check. Complete inability to make a decision about your team's key position? Check (not: even if RAC did toss a coin, at least he stuck with what the coin said for a couple of weeks).

We're going into the regular season with the #1 offense having scored how many touchdowns? And they did so against the Titans' #2 defense, if I recall.

I'm just not buying the logic of, "Look how organized he is! Things must be better!" I think the team will get better this year, because last season was something of a perfect storm. That said, Mangini's handling of the QB situation--it's not that important who starts--suggests one of two things. First, that he's already pretty much accepted that whoever starts this year won't be starting next year, and that this year is just about getting the system in place so that the guy he drafts in 2010 will be able to jump right in. Second, that he looks at an oaf who has a cannon arm but a penchant for throwing picks, a pretty boy whose qualifications include beating up on service academies and the ability to have his hair look perfect as he's watching Jumbotron replays of an interception in a bowl game, neither of whom can beat the other one out, and thinks that this is so perfect, they might as well stop practicing now. In which case he's delusional.

Dennis

Wow, that was lot of preconceived opinionating there.

Guess you felt the need to write a smart and impressive diatribe, but half of it made no cents.

You think because he has taken this long to name a starter means he doesn't like either, nor does he think the QB position is important and he already knows Quinn won't be the starter come next year. Fill in some cutesy pretty boy stuff and you have the makings of an entertaining read, I just don't know what any of it meant.

Guess you felt the need to write a smart and impressive diatribe, but half of it made no cents.

You think because he has taken this long to name a starter means he doesn't like either, nor does he think the QB position is important and he already knows Quinn won't be the starter come next year. Fill in some cutesy pretty boy stuff and you have the makings of an entertaining read, I just don't know what any of it meant.

I'm pretty sure he said DA's an idiot & BQ's a conceded homo. Oh and EM is doing this to piss everybody off and show the fan base and media that he just maybe might know a little bit more than we/they do. EM beat Pittsburgh, the only battle RAC ever won was with anorexia.

I can't imagine he is actually planning on rotating these guys during the week. I also don't know how he thinks the media won't know that Quinn is getting all the reps.

Doesn't make sense, but neither did keeping DA around last year. We wouldn't be going through any of this crap now and would have a starter and continuity.

Mangini had to make camp a battle for the starting position, because that's his whole philosophy. However, the inevitable of Quinn starting could have and should have been decided a year ago, not the day of the first game. Mangie inherited this situation and after the first game we'll see if continuity exists.

I am a little disgusted that once again we are going into week one with turmoil and a team that is not seasoned playing with one another. Let's see if it busts us in the ass.

he's also holding out the media from practice so no one can see who's getting the starter reps. I mean coaches close practice this stage of the game anyway, but still. I agree with everyone here, what is this accomplishing? It's not like the Vikings are a a high school football team with limited capabilities. It's not even hard to prepare a game plan for two QB's, especially in our situation. I've supported Mangini in just about every decision this off season, but this one is just dumb.

Does anyone think he's doing this just to spite the media and others? It really seems that way at this point, i think he's countering all the negative PR about this mess by getting even a bigger ego about it.

[...]

I give no opinions. Everything I write on this board is the result of divine revelation.

I stand by the argument entirely. Name me one other team that refuses to name a starter after the coach has decided that one guy is the man. Even Belichick, the master of such games, doesn't do that. And if one can't beat out the other--when, as the tribe here as pointed out, it's obvious who the starter should be, then Mangini should absolutely start thinking about the long-term implications of that.

As for the pretty boy stuff, what can I say? I enjoy being equal-opportunity. You no doubt noticed in your close reading of the original text that I referred to Anderson as an oaf. It's just what I do, and only a small part of what makes me awesome.

Dennis

I give no opinions. Everything I write on this board is the result of divine revelation.

I stand by the argument entirely. Name me one other team that refuses to name a starter after the coach has decided that one guy is the man. Even Belichick, the master of such games, doesn't do that. And if one can't beat out the other--when, as the tribe here as pointed out, it's obvious who the starter should be, then Mangini should absolutely start thinking about the long-term implications of that.

As for the pretty boy stuff, what can I say? I enjoy being equal-opportunity. You no doubt noticed in your close reading of the original text that I referred to Anderson as an oaf. It's just what I do, and only a small part of what makes me awesome.

Dennis

Denny you're great for the board, no doubt. I just find it hard to think of you jacking off in front of the mirror with each one of your super duper well written posts that's so witty, smart and written like a masters thesis. It's cute, and yes you are really awesome. The best. If we have a writing competition of who is the bestest at it you win, hands down.

Go Oaf, pretty fag boy and Mangie. Down with Denny.

he's also holding out the media from practice so no one can see who's getting the starter reps.

Well, if he's truly got a secret closed practice this week and the starter actually WILL get starter reps, then I say DO keep it a secret.

The advantage that it will provide, however marginal, might help.

Aside from the fact that us fans are dying to know, it's not hurting anything as long as the starter is getting starter reps.

Just one note on 1st team reps during the season...those are a lot different than 1st team reps in camp.

I don't think it is as critical as some of you think...both the top 2 qbs run the gameplan during the week which includes a lot of walking through and working the 10-15 plays they are going to use in addition the the base package of plays.

But i agree mangini's reason is lame...DA and Quinn aren't that different. One may throw deeper more and the other more timing/short stuff, but those are easy, in game adjustments any team can make on the fly.

I doubt the Vikings coaching staff is going to flail their arms in panic if they prepped for the wrong guy. A few simple alignment adjustments and bam...it's done.

Guest 88fingerslewy

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Who gives a $hit what Mangini does. When I'm at a game paying for a ticket, then I've got plenty to say whether I'm paying for a good product or not. What happens in Berea is of no concern to me. And secondly, if YOU'RE not in Berea how do any of you know what's really going on. 'Cause Mary Kay says it's so? Or Grossi? or Carucci? Or Lombardi? I don't remember seeing any of them holding a Lombardi trophy over their heads. Let 'em talk. What the fcuk do they know.

You guys know way more about football than the chimps writing articles about it. Why do you get lead down a story line about something that some hack writer spins into a story. If we suck after a few weeks then ya, we'll have plenty to say but right now, I couldn't give a flyin' fcuk about how our HC is doing business. The reporters feel snubbed because he's not very forthcoming with team info and that's just too bad for them and us. There hasn't been a PRODUCT to judge yet. Training camp? Pre-Season games? Big fcukin' deal. WE'RE NOT THERE!!!! EVERY PLAY, EVERY DRILL, EVERY MINUTE with these players.

You guys are better than that, don't get all caught up in some bull-shit with some writer, saying how important it is that the team knows who their LEADER is. HORSESHIT!!!! The play gets called in the huddle, and you perform your job. You honestly don't think that the players will play better for one guy over the other? You think Joe Thomas goes home after practice thinking, "Gee, I wish I knew who our starting QB is going to be." Fukcing sports writers are people who make a living writing about SOMETHING THAT THEY CAN'T DO!!!!

Let's see a few games before we jump on the media band wagon and decide if there are flaws in Mangini's methods. GEESH!!!!

Denny you're great for the board, no doubt. I just find it hard to think of you jacking off in front of the mirror with each one of your super duper well written posts that's so witty, smart and written like a masters thesis. It's cute, and yes you are really awesome. The best. If we have a writing competition of who is the bestest at it you win, hands down.

No, I don't have to use a mirror. As soon as I hit send, I'm set upon by a selection of ladies who run into the room like in a beer commercial. I have no idea where they come from, but I'll take it.

Dennis

I'm still not quite sure how today I've ended up in a world where using complete sentences makes me uppity.

No, I don't have to use a mirror. As soon as I hit send, I'm set upon by a selection of ladies who run into the room like in a beer commercial. I have no idea where they come from, but I'll take it.

Dennis

I'm still not quite sure how today I've ended up in a world where using complete sentences makes me uppity.

The chicks part is good, and I'll leave out any pseudo homo references there.

Nothing wrong with being uppity, your writing gives me the ability to appreciate good writing on a football board. I can tell you're definitely proud of it, as you should be.

Knee jerk rections..................................so what.

The QBs know and the team knows. Backups always get about 20% of the reps during the week when preparing for a game.

Before you get out the tar and feathers maybe you should wait and see how it works out. The man has been around the NFL most of his adult life and we are second guessing him about something thrown out to the media to get them off of his back so his team can prepare for their first game under his leadership.

BTW, this is the same knee jerk reactions that were being spewed about his dissing Rogers in the winter.

Let's get a grip. the man has a QB picked and the QB and team know. He also has a backup ready, need be.

They know who their leader is. His name is Eric Mangini. That's all they need to know.

(and I agree with the rest of your post too)

That's right Hiway, much to do about nothing.

PS People are just pissed we've been waiting so long to get to this point and still don't know.

Me, I know, but I can also wait until Sunday to make it official.

People aren't pissed because they think it hurts things and this crap about the team needing to know the starter is.

People are pissed because they want to know and the suspense is killing them.

That's all this is.

I have said this before, and I guess I am going to say it again....

Mangini is trying to do EVERYTHING HE CAN to get that 1st win in week 1.

He has not played S.Rogers all camp...meaning he is hoping to have him completely fresh, and how he is going to use him in the scheme a secret.

There was lot's of talk about a 4-6 D, but little shown in camp...so maybe adding Rogers puts that into play.

He has hedged about his rotation with the RB's...nobody has been slated as the pure #1 back.

He has not even HINTED at who was the #2 WR. Is it Furrey, MoMass or Robo? No word. We are assuming MoMass...but Furrey could easily be the guy.

Come to think of it...there is not ONE SINGLE PLAYER who as been NAMED the starter. We assume a few (JT, Steiny, etc), but NONE have been named.

One thing I remember Daboll saying early on about the offense, was that the PLAYERS would be changed out to exploit mismatches. In other words...the #2 WR this week may not even play next week.

As for the QB thing itself...come on. He said the PLAYERS would know later (which may have been 15 minutes after the news conference). THEY will know. THEY will prepare. THEY will be ready.

Just because a bunch of whiner media and fans don't know doesn't mean SQUAT.

Oh, and saying both should prepare like they are starting...that is the way ALL players should prepare...because you never know when an injury will put you in the game.

With the fragile psyche that has dominated Cleveland, getting a win in week 1 could easily turn into 2-0 (Denver the following week) going into Baltimore. Don't you think a 2-0 team would have a better chance (psychologically) than a 1-1 or 0-2 team to go in and win in Baltimore?

I for one am all for the secrecy. Besides, it's downright fun to try and see if I can guess what he is really planning. :ph34r:

Guest 88fingerslewy

And another thing about Mangini. Every day that goes by without THE QUARTERBACK, being announced is another day that Childress and company can't zero in on a QB they'll plan around. Mangini said very early on, he won't discuss injuries either so the next opponent can't specifically prepare for whether that player will play or not. The QB situation is no different. I swear, these fcuking reporters all have amnesia or can't connect the dots.

If Mangini wants to take every opportunity he can to mess with another team then great!! At least he appears that FOOTBALL ACTUALLY MATTERS TO HIM!!!! Last year was disgusting to watch. 73,000+ fans getting their hearts cut out watching 53 lazy pricks go through the motions. I'm glad training camp was tough, I'm glad S. Smith, Hood et al were pissed, I'm glad the media's pissed but most of all I'm glad Mangini is doing everything he can to light a fire under this teams ass and make it grow some fangs for the first time in decades....there....I'm done.

Sorry more editing but this is days before the opener and I'm fcukin' jacked!!!!

What have we seen so far with our O and our D?....V A N I L L A!!!! You know Mangini hasn't showed everything they've installed. Mark it down, the horn-heads are going to have their hands full.

This, much like the decision to keep Ratliff over Bartel, is making me worry that the dreaded combination of brains & ego is getting in the way of smarts. I hope it works, but I share many of the same concerns as the posters above. Particularly, the notion that not knowing who our QB is going to be will throw the extremely solid Vikes D into a tailspin on Sunday. I think they can manage.

If we did know who the starting qb is how does that make anyone feel better?

Who gives a shit? Oh I know who gives a shit...all the fans who took sides in the qb race and want some sort of personal validation that they backed the right horse in the race.

I have to say I like mangini, much better than I liked the human milk-dud Romeo..who NEVER struck me as knowing what the fcuk was going on.

for what it's worth(which isn't much) watching sportscenter earlier I saw both merle hodge and hasselbeck endorse DA as the starter.

I have said this before, and I guess I am going to say it again....

Mangini is trying to do EVERYTHING HE CAN to get that 1st win in week 1.

He has not played S.Rogers all camp...meaning he is hoping to have him completely fresh, and how he is going to use him in the scheme a secret.

There was lot's of talk about a 4-6 D, but little shown in camp...so maybe adding Rogers puts that into play.

He has hedged about his rotation with the RB's...nobody has been slated as the pure #1 back.

He has not even HINTED at who was the #2 WR. Is it Furrey, MoMass or Robo? No word. We are assuming MoMass...but Furrey could easily be the guy.

Come to think of it...there is not ONE SINGLE PLAYER who as been NAMED the starter. We assume a few (JT, Steiny, etc), but NONE have been named.

One thing I remember Daboll saying early on about the offense, was that the PLAYERS would be changed out to exploit mismatches. In other words...the #2 WR this week may not even play next week.

As for the QB thing itself...come on. He said the PLAYERS would know later (which may have been 15 minutes after the news conference). THEY will know. THEY will prepare. THEY will be ready.

Just because a bunch of whiner media and fans don't know doesn't mean SQUAT.

Oh, and saying both should prepare like they are starting...that is the way ALL players should prepare...because you never know when an injury will put you in the game.

With the fragile psyche that has dominated Cleveland, getting a win in week 1 could easily turn into 2-0 (Denver the following week) going into Baltimore. Don't you think a 2-0 team would have a better chance (psychologically) than a 1-1 or 0-2 team to go in and win in Baltimore?

I for one am all for the secrecy. Besides, it's downright fun to try and see if I can guess what he is really planning. :ph34r:

OK, OK. I'm with you. We only really have one choice, and that's to roll with it.

Heading into Baltimore 2-0 would be big.

I hope he has other surprises then. A bunch of stuff for Cribbs maybe. WildDawg. Reverses. Counter plays, whatever it takes.

Archived