THE BROWNS BOARD

Big 10 updates

Legacy Fan

I didn't like that our o-line didn't dominate...Question....did Navy's Offense look that good(which I think) or did Osu's Dfense look that bad?

Navy's been a top 5 rushing program for as far as I can remember back. Navy had a big stop on a 4th & 2 & turned it into a score and a pick of Pryor that turned into a score in the 4th quarter.

Iowa blocks last second FG to win against Div 2 team? Not good for Big ten...Minny losing to the cuse as well. Indians barley beat a scrub team as well...

Check that.... Iowa blocked the first attempt with seven seconds left, and N. Iowa recovered because it never crossed the LOS. So, they kicked that on first down, so now it is second down. They get another chance with one second left. Iowa blocks it.... AGAIN. Not sure if I ever saw that happen ever in a game...

PSU was ho-hum today. Went up 31-0 and then went into cruise control. Clark threw for 355 yards and 3 td's and a pick that deflected off his receiver. The O-line did not look that great in run support.....

Works in progress all across the board.....

Check that.... Iowa blocked the first attempt with seven seconds left, and N. Iowa recovered because it never crossed the LOS. So, they kicked that on first down, so now it is second down. They get another chance with one second left. Iowa blocks it.... AGAIN. Not sure if I ever saw that happen ever in a game...

Kind of reminds me of a Browns-Steelers game from I think 2002 or 2003, when if I remember right, the Browns blocked the game-winning kick in OT only to have the Steelers get a second shot for the reason you stated and make it the second time around.

Dennis

A couple of thoughts on Big Ten play today:

1. In my usual beginning-of-the-season post on the other board, I was going to predict an OSU-Florida national championship game. With USC going with a freshman and Michigan in disarray, their schedule still shapes up nicely. Still, given the way all three teams seem to have played/are currently playing today, that might be a bit premature.

2. Speaking of Michigan, holy crap...talk about shutting up the naysayers on the first day. Sure, they're playing a weak mid-major, but compared to some of the other creampuffs on schedules today (Western Kentucky--there, I admitted it--Charleston Southern, Illinois, etc.), they might as well be blowing out a Super Bowl team.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

Only watched the first half, but Michigan's D looked great. DE Brandon Graham and LB Obi Ezeh are Steeler-type players: big, physical, and explosive enough to make a collision mean something. Graham continually harassed QB Tim Hiller, while Ezeh cleaned up on a bunch of broken plays.

But I'm not sure that they'll consistently be that good. W. Michigan's short passing attack is the type of offense Michigan seems geared toward stopping. Last year, safety Stevie "Coverage Fail" Brown gave up a lot of big plays. He's since moved down to linebacker, but I don't know if the guy who replaced him is much better. If you can run the ball on them and throw over the top, you can control the clock & score a lot of points.

On the other side of the ball, QB Denard Robinson looks like a player. Maybe not a real passer yet, but he sure can run.

Archived