THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2022 1st Round Pick

Dutch Oven

29 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

When comparing him to a current NFL player, I can’t help but notice that Darian Kinnard and Brandon Scherff of the Washington Football Team look very similar in body type/size and play. I think he has the same skill set that can get him Brandons level of play in the NFL."

Brandon Scherff. OT tackle for the Washington no longer Redskins. 6'5", 315.

Guess where Scherff was drafted. FIRST ROUND. So, bitching about my third round draft pick? Dumber and dumber.

and yes, I do my own research, and I read a hell of a lot. I knew this stuff when I made my selection. I consider him being a bit heavier that he will slide a bit. We'll see. (and Scherff was ALSO an All-pro more than once.)

College: Iowa
NFL Draft: 2015 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5

You kicked SO much ass doing your research, you forgot to mention that Scherff's level of play at tackle got him kicked inside to guard because he couldn't hack it consistently in pass pro on the edge.  As he is now a guard for the Skins.     The Redskins spent a top 10 pick on a guard, believing they got a franchise tackle.     To refresh, barring transcendent talent such as Quinten Nelson, top 10 picks aren't spent on guard play. 

Comparing a prospect you want to draft at tackle to Brandon Schreff is admitting your complete inability to evaluate a players skill set on your own and being dependent on the analysis of others.     Not to mention your lack of attention to detail on how said prospect is currently holding up in the NFL.  You sure did read a whole hell of a lot there, champ.    

And it's almost like somebody almost called Schreff's future move to guard while watching his Iowa tape...     Oh wait...

edit:  Meanwhile Ali Marpet, another probowl guard, was taken in the later 2nd round.   Much less draft capital invested in a value position that the 'Skins could have used to address pass rush or skill positions with.  

Hate to disappoint.. but

Since November, I've learned to pump the brakes on this drafts quality... https://thespun.com/nfl/nfl-insider-has-telling-comment-about-2022-draft-class

most prospect boards start to take shape at the close of business at the senior bowl...

Heck! Some at this point? Think the highest ranked Tackle in Evan Neal will play Guard in the NFL..

At Ease...          zai.gif      

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Yes.. Many years ago the assumption was that RT was essentially a third OG because passpro on that side didn't matter.

So "giving up on" a LT in the language of the 80's/90's meant flipping him back to RT..

Because you said.. 

The point is that RT & LT have the same skillsets, just leading with a different leg.. At this point he's played all his NFL snaps at LT and those alabama RT seasons are pretty far in the past other than for group reminiscing over zoom time. If they're going to draft someone to take over for Conklin I'd bet they have that guy doing RT from the jump rather than teach both guys something new. 

So if they actually do flip Wills to RT then the question should be asked.. what exactly did they think he wasn't doing at LT that he will be able to do at RT? 

Combine that with Tia's statements regarding the 10-yard depth of Baker and I bet that's the real passpro answer.. which means it's got nada to do with RT or LT or even Wills' skillset.. And so flipping Wills to RT to blame him  ["give up on him"] for Baker's 10 would be more "doing something" to cover for the reality that they have no idea how to actually self-scout or make changes to get better.. Because they aren't getting the first step right of accurately identifying the problem(s).

I sometimes get the feeling you pathologically just love to argue, sometimes just for the sake of arguing. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

You kicked SO much ass doing your research, you forgot to mention that Scherff's level of play at tackle got him kicked inside to guard because he couldn't hack it consistently in pass pro on the edge.  As he is now a guard for the Skins.     The Redskins spent a top 10 pick on a guard, believing they got a franchise tackle.     To refresh, barring transcendent talent such as Quinten Nelson, top 10 picks aren't spent on guard play. 

Comparing a prospect you want to draft at tackle to Brandon Schreff is admitting your complete inability to evaluate a players skill set on your own and being dependent on the analysis of others.     Not to mention your lack of attention to detail on how said prospect is currently holding up in the NFL.  You sure did read a whole hell of a lot there, champ.    

And it's almost like somebody almost called Schreff's future move to guard while watching his Iowa tape...     Oh wait...

edit:  Meanwhile Ali Marpet, another probowl guard, was taken in the later 2nd round.   Much less draft capital invested in a value position that the 'Skins could have used to address pass rush or skill positions with.  

I'm not sure there's an over-the-counter lotion strong enough for that burn, cal.

Might have to consult your physician on this one.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Well, gosh darn. Your highness didn't get his ass kissed AGAIN?

too bad.

Yes, he got moved inside - I was simply defending my 3rd round pick. He was a first round pick.

But you want to smart off so much - you don't know that Andrew Whitworth is currently listed as the STARING LEFT TACKLE for the RAMS.

Nice "smarting off"? Chump.

Here:https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/LAR

I did look at Scherff's NFL draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brandon-scherff/32005343-4813-5412-5c1e-e60f23b4bdde

His weaknesses:

Weaknesses
  • Will default to sumo-style power push rather than leg churning at times
  • Not a grab-and-control pass protector
  • Opens the gate earlier than you would like against edge rushers offering two-way goes
  • Tightly wound lower body with average bend
  • Sometimes gives one-shot effort on second-level blocks, allowing his man back into the play
  • Has dominant finishing traits, but not a consistent finisher of blocks
  • Would love to see more fiery play demeanor from him

Kennard's profile talks his STRENGTHS that are fast feet, quick lateral movement, etc etc etc.

He actually projects as a guard in this profile. I see him more like Whitworth.

But if Teller or Bitonio gets hurt, or they can't get a

RT FA , he could play RT. He might have to drop some weight as I said, but it was my mock,

not yours. He's a tackle who would do excellent as a guard, but can play tackle.

Did you ever do a mock draft?

You ever see our RT's get bull rushed back to the qb? Get whiffed by watt?

In the third round, I love a guy like Kennard who can play RT, or OG. and dominate power-wise.

It isn't like I drafted Kennard in the first round to be a left tackle. And it's before the combine, way before.

So, pout all you want, smart off all you want, but I don't think anybody on this forum should be coerced to treat you like the "Big Giant Head". Have a nice day, princess smartoff. lol

Washington Football: Mayhew says Scherff turned down ...
As expected, Scherff's name came up. Mayhew discussed how Scherff is an outstanding player and leader, and those types of players aren't easy to replace. That's why Washington did everything in its power, presumably last offseason, to keep Scherff in D.C. for the rest of his career.

Furthermore - to elaborate on my choice -

I had to go back and find this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-considering-drastic-offensive-line-swap/ar-AAS04Dg

I like Blake Hance. But he isn't a powerhouse. It's tough. Kennard would fit right in in the Browns power run attack.

He would be an outstanding OG, a power RT with the size and arms to toss watt off to the ground.

Watt and a few others outpowered Hance badly here and there. I like the pick.

I'll listen to Joe Thomas every time - he knows far more football that you, princess. And having a Kennard to fit in, especially in case of an injury/covid*, to keep the power game going - makes sense to me.