THE BROWNS BOARD

You're the GM...

Tour2ma

On 1/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, tiamat63 said:

I could swear that guy was at Smokey Bones the night I got kicked out after the  Browns drafted Manziel

I wish I could meet that bad a$$ mofo and say thanks for laughs buddy. Air humping while playing air guitar and never spilling a drop of his beer. Classic! 

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, tiamat63 said:

Big Ben is a  below average QB and a shell of himself. If he was any other player Pittsburgh would have benched him by now.  But he's being allowed to go out on his time and terms.  

And I don't need a screenshot to prove that.

But didn't you just love those screenshots of the Steeler faithful showing him some love at the end of the game?   🤮🤮🤮 Oh, Ben's fallen down to just maybe "average". Watt, (DPOY), Heyward, and the Steeler D managed to keep it close for 15 minutes... Then Mahomes figured out... just throw it somewhere Watt isn't.  :)   

PS- Haden should call it a career too....    

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

But didn't you just love those screenshots of the Steeler faithful showing him some love at the end of the game?   🤮🤮🤮 Oh, Ben's fallen down to just maybe "average". Watt, (DPOY), Heyward, and the Steeler D managed to keep it close for 15 minutes... Then Mahomes figured out... just throw it somewhere Watt isn't.  :)   

PS- Haden should call it a career too....    

Probably so.

Time doesn't stop for anybody.  Things change.

For one of the games this year I went down to the flats, To The Lot!!....well, no lot any longer.  Something is going in there.  I walked over to the Flatiron, knowing some of the gang went in there before games....nobody I knew in there.  Drank a non-alcoholic beer downstairs, had one upstairs, said cheers to old times, and walked to the stadium.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, ballpeen said:

Time doesn't stop for anybody.  Things change.

For one of the games this year I went down to the flats, To The Lot!!....well, no lot any longer.  Something is going in there.  I walked over to the Flatiron, knowing some of the gang went in there before games....nobody I knew in there.  Drank a non-alcoholic beer downstairs, had one upstairs, said cheers to old times, and walked to the stadium.

Yes 'Peen, I knew "The Lot" was no more...  We didn't even have a Board Reunion this year.   Cancelled due to lack of interest?   Not sure if Ed has permanently relocated to Florida. I also knew Howie and the G-Man weren't going to be able to make the trip either.

By default, I went to Steve's Gnats Tailgaters once over in the Burke Lot. Nice Tailgate, but I'm seriously averse to paying $50 bucks to park there.   We found an El Cheapo $5 lot in the vicinity of East 9th, headed over to Heinen's and spent the $45 buck difference on wine instead.  :)   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yes 'Peen, I knew "The Lot" was no more...  We didn't even have a Board Reunion this year.   Cancelled due to lack of interest?   Not sure if Ed has permanently relocated to Florida. I also knew Howie and the G-Man weren't going to be able to make the trip either.

By default, I went to Steve's Gnats Tailgaters once over in the Burke Lot. Nice Tailgate, but I'm seriously averse to paying $50 bucks to park there.   We found an El Cheapo $5 lot in the vicinity of East 9th, headed over to Heinen's and spent the $45 buck difference on wine instead.  :)   

There ya go!  As a non-drinker, I do miss some wine from time to time.

I started doing this last year (20).  I drive from the Marriott Courtyard off Bagley and drive to the Brookpark RTA station. Maybe 3-4 miles. Park there for free and buy a $5 day pass and ride the train to the terminal tower.  Basically $5 to park the car and you don't have to hassle with traffic on the way in or out of town.  The lot is well lit and there is some security patrolling, cameras, etc, so it is pretty secure.  You might want to consider that as an option.  I wish I had been doing that sooner.  The train takes maybe 15-20 minutes from the terminal to the station I park.  I am sure you do, or can come up I-71.  If so, you basically pass the lot as you swing past the airport towards downtown.  It has become my routine.  Screw paying $50++ to park your car, then have to inch your way out of town.  If Brookpark doesn't work for you, you can ID a station that works for you.  Obviously don't start at the airport or you pay airport parking which isn't a bargain.  I stay till the end of the game....maybe cut out a few minutes early if it is settled.  I walk with purpose to get to the terminal.  I have yet to have to stand on the return trip.  If it is crowded, they stack 2-3 trains in a row.  Maybe 7 minutes apart to get people out of town.  It's well worth it IMO.  I'd bet if you timed it out, you'd be running on nearly the same timeline as parking downtown.

There ya go!  As a non-drinker, I do miss some wine from time to time.

I started doing this last year (20).  I drive from the Marriott Courtyard off Bagley and drive to the Brookpark RTA station. Maybe 3-4 miles. Park there for free and buy a $5 day pass and ride the train to the terminal tower.  Basically $5 to park the car and you don't have to hassle with traffic on the way in or out of town.  The lot is well lit and there is some security patrolling, cameras, etc, so it is pretty secure.  You might want to consider that as an option.  I wish I had been doing that sooner.  The train takes maybe 15-20 minutes from the terminal to the station I park.  I am sure you do, or can come up I-71.  If so, you basically pass the lot as you swing past the airport towards downtown.  It has become my routine.  Screw paying $50++ to park your car, then have to inch your way out of town.  If Brookpark doesn't work for you, you can ID a station that works for you.  Obviously don't start at the airport or you pay airport parking which isn't a bargain.  I stay till the end of the game....maybe cut out a few minutes early if it is settled.  I walk with purpose to get to the terminal.  I have yet to have to stand on the return trip.  If it is crowded, they stack 2-3 trains in a row.  Maybe 7 minutes apart to get people out of town.  It's well worth it IMO.  I'd bet if you timed it out, you'd be running on nearly the same timeline as parking downtown.

I used the Brook Park rapid station many times, and love the fact that for $5 I can get dropped off in front of the Stadium.

If you happen to go to the Brook Park station and it’s full, you can take I-71 north to the W150th St exit and catch the rapid there.

Potential swap for third round.. Safety.

We're set at CB with Newsome/Ward/Hill/Greedy/AJGreen, plus a late DB flier.  When was the last time we could say that?

However neither LeCounte nor Harrison are getting the S job done. LeCounte may be rostered for ST; sure, but anytime he's a field player that's a weakness.

2022 safety draft is very deep and a starter could sneakily fall to our rd3 slot.  Hamilton will surely be gone by then, but one of Cine/Hill/Brisker/Cook could fall.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:09 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Potential swap for third round.. 

Vikings hire Browns executive Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as their GM.  #goodluck

The #Browns will receive a third round compensatory pick in each of the next two drafts for losing Adofo-Mensah.

The estimate of the compensatory pick Browns would receive in 2022 for Kwesi Adofo-Mensah is No. 105 overall.
The last 4 players taken 105th:
2021 - LB Baron Browning, Denver
2020 -TE Adam Trautman, NO
2019 - DB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, NO
2018 - WR Antonio Callaway, Cleve

Browns Glen Cook is another possible 2022 GM candidate

Two 3rd rounders is great.

There are really like top of the 4th round, but you can still expect to get a decent player.  Maybe not guys who start, or ever start, but at minimum you should get pretty good depth and special teams guys.  

We need a kicker....use that pick on a kicker.  Just pick the guy and fix the damn position.  Cade York of LSU comes to mind.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Two 3rd rounders is great.

There are really like top of the 4th round, but you can still expect to get a decent player.  Maybe not guys who start, or ever start, but at minimum you should get pretty good depth and special teams guys.  

We need a kicker....use that pick on a kicker.  Just pick the guy and fix the damn position.  Cade York of LSU comes to mind.

If Tampa Bay proved anything a few years ago, you don't invest a top 100 pick in a kicker.

The playoffs are certainly proving.....we need a kick ! er ! ... Rounds 5 or 6 or 7 ? several teams have used a 5th on some good ones..

including Bengals Evan McPherson pick #149...The Bengals were able to acquire McPherson -- the only kicker drafted in 2021 -- because they addressed other needs before taking him in the fifth round. They were able to address those roster issues with the extra picks received in a draft day trade with the New England Patriots.

Of the 20 kickers drafted over the past 10 years, only three are still with the team that selected them.

Three of the best kickers in the NFL — Daniel Carlson (5th #167), Matt Gay (5th #145) and Harrison Butker (7th #233) — were cut by the teams that drafted them before going on to the success they're having today.

Arguably the best kicker in the last generation, Justin Tucker, and many, many other kickers around the league entered via the undrafted free agent route.

Over the last 10 years, the Browns have used two draft picks on kickers. Neither lasted with the team for two full seasons. Just 12 teams have used draft picks on kickers during this time frame.

I'm no Kicker scout 🤓.. but comparing sizes? They come in all different sizes ! Comparing these top 4 pros/ in their college stats? to Top draftable kickers this season? There's not even a consistent list out there to compile them :).. try this.. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-kickers-punters-2022-nfl-draft-cade-york/ than get back to us, on whom to draft/when.. 

I read this morning that the Saints maybe having a fire sale... Will Lutz anybody? Falcons-Young-Hoe'-KIm? anybody?

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If Tampa Bay proved anything a few years ago, you don't invest a top 100 pick in a kicker.

No they didn't.  The Raiders took a pretty darn good kicker in round 1.  Janokowski.

If you have the need, pick the guy you want, when you can get him.  Plus, being a comp pick, it might not be a top 100 pick.  If you get your guy, you won't have to pick another for maybe 17 years.

25 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

No they didn't.  The Raiders took a pretty darn good kicker in round 1.  Janokowski.

Yeah, and had the Raiders taken Shaun Alexander, who went 2 picks later, they wouldn't have leaned on Garners last and questionable legs.  Could have had a running game so damn good that Rich Gannon could have avoided throwing so much, the Pats would have respected the balanced attack and might have gone back to another Superbowl. 

Not a knock on Seabass, but it's about position value. If nobody else would take him in the 1st (likely not) why not go all pro RB and future HoF'er, then I'll get my kicker?

There's a reason kickers aren't drafted high save for rare exceptions.  Aguyoa and Seabass.   So 1 for 2.

The Browns are in line to get a third-round compensatory pick after the Minnesota Vikings hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah to be their GM. With that in mind, a quick look (and estimate) of where the team’s selections will be in the upcoming 2022 NFL draft:

• 1st Round – Pick #13  a) Garrett Wilson b.) Jamison Williams c.) Drake London
  • 2nd Round – Pick #44  a) Arnold Ebiketie b.) Devonte Wyatt c) Jermaine Johnson
  • 3rd Round – Pick #78   a) John Metchie  b.) Phidarian Mathis c) JoJo Dolmann
  • 3rd Round – Pick #102 (Compensatory Pick)  a) S Jalen Pitre b.) T Max Mitchell  c) Wan'Dale Robinson
  • 4th Round – Pick #114 (Lions Trade)  a) QB Bailey Zappe  b.) T Abraham Lucas  c.) LB Darrian Beavers
  • 4th Round – Pick #124.....KICKER !
  • 5th Round – Pick #171..... or is a KICK! er! still here?
  • 6th Round – Pick #218...Trade it!
  • 7th Round – Pick #257... Trade It!

Remember when Ditka traded his whole draft to move up into round 1 to draft a RB?    Or when McDaniels traded up into round 1 to draft Tebow?    Now, those were the days!

More seriously, the Rams traded all the way up to #1 to take Goff.   (I remember posting, The Rams want to win football games)   And when they decided that Goff was only good enough to GET them to the super bowl but not actually WIN it....they traded for Stafford.  I don't know that they'll WIN the super bowl, but I still maintain that The Rams Want To Win Football Games.  And they understand that it takes a really good QB to do that.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

Remember when Ditka traded his whole draft to move up into round 1 to draft a RB?    Or when McDaniels traded up into round 1 to draft Tebow?    Now, those were the days!

More seriously, the Rams traded all the way up to #1 to take Goff.   (I remember posting, The Rams want to win football games)   And when they decided that Goff was only good enough to GET them to the super bowl but not actually WIN it....they traded for Stafford.  I don't know that they'll WIN the super bowl, but I still maintain that The Rams Want To Win Football Games.  And they understand that it takes a really good QB to do that.

we should have taken the ditka trade

I want a kicker that’s navigated through some elements (made some kicks in big moments, kicked in crap conditions or wind) and has a strong leg.  Find him in Day 3.  Third Round- maybe. 

And then hire Phil Dawson as a part time consultant to give instruction on how to judge the elements in Our stadium. I watched an interview with him talking about kicking in Cleveland…wow!!! He knows the stadium better than anyone. 

Im tired of downplaying this position Justin Tucker has kicked our butt for almost a decade now.  Bengals rookie kicker just made a huge kick 

23 hours ago, ballpeen said:

If you have the need, pick the guy you want, when you can get him.  Plus, being a comp pick, it might not be a top 100 pick.  If you get your guy, you won't have to pick another for maybe 17 years.

I remember when they took a punter in the first round.

Someone named Ray Guy.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I want a kicker that’s navigated through some elements (made some kicks in big moments, kicked in crap conditions or wind) and has a strong leg.  Find him in Day 3.  Third Round- maybe. 

And then hire Phil Dawson as a part time consultant to give instruction on how to judge the elements in Our stadium. I watched an interview with him talking about kicking in Cleveland…wow!!! He knows the stadium better than anyone. 

Im tired of downplaying this position Justin Tucker has kicked our butt for almost a decade now.  Bengals rookie kicker just made a huge kick 

What rounds were Phil Dawson and Justin Tucker drafted? 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah, I've always wanted Dawson here as a kicking consultant.  He did an incredible job in our stadium by the lake.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What rounds were Phil Dawson and Justin Tucker drafted? 

The fact they weren't drafted isn't germane to the fact we need a kicker.  

The fact is we need a kicker.  I think it smart to identify the guy you want then take the steps necessary to get that guy.  The way to be sure you get your player is to draft the guy before any other team does.  If you would rather dick around and wait for free agency, well, dick around all you want.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Yeah, I've always wanted Dawson here as a kicking consultant.  He did an incredible job in our stadium by the lake.

I think he has already done that.  He comes to Cleveland and works with the guys at the stadium, talking about wind direction and such.  I am not sure you need a coach for the position.  Maybe a week or so.  

To me, at that level, it isn't so much about mechanics and striking the ball.  Kind of like top golfers.  It isn't so much about striking the ball.  All can do that, even if there are more things to break down in a golf swing.  The big thing is being able to do it time after time and under pressure.  The golfer who can do that stands a better chance of winning the tournament.  Most of that is in the mind.  I don't know how coachable that is, and/or am not sure a kicking coach is the best person to teach mind control?

How do you teach a guy that a 50 yard kick to win the Superbowl or hit a solid 3 iron to the green to win the US Open is the same as kicking a 30 yard field goal in the 1sr qtr of the first game or hitting a 9 iron to the middle of the green in the first round of the John Deer classic?

• Like 1

Trade Baker Mayfield to Minnesota for Kirk Cousins 

Cut Case Keenum, sign Mitch Trubiski, draft Kenny Pickett 

Cut McDowell , Landry , Harrison , Janovich, Higgins 

Keep Swartz, DPJ , cut rest of the WR’s

Resign Clooney, Stewart

Draft WR, DT,OLB,OT,C, S 

28 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I think he has already done that.  He comes to Cleveland and works with the guys at the stadium, talking about wind direction and such.  I am not sure you need a coach for the position.  Maybe a week or so.  

To me, at that level, it isn't so much about mechanics and striking the ball.  Kind of like top golfers.  It isn't so much about striking the ball.  All can do that, even if there are more things to break down in a golf swing.  The big thing is being able to do it time after time and under pressure.  The golfer who can do that stands a better chance of winning the tournament.  Most of that is in the mind.  I don't know how coachable that is, and/or am not sure a kicking coach is the best person to teach mind control?

How do you teach a guy that a 50 yard kick to win the Superbowl or hit a solid 3 iron to the green to win the US Open is the same as kicking a 30 yard field goal in the 1sr qtr of the first game or hitting a 9 iron to the middle of the green in the first round of the John Deer classic?

What we need is a kicker who can mind-bend a ball to kick a winning FG under the pressure of the biggest game in his lifetime. This one actually is the all-time leading scorer in school history and is in the draft this year.😂

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The fact they weren't drafted isn't germane to the fact we need a kicker.  

The fact is we need a kicker.  I think it smart to identify the guy you want then take the steps necessary to get that guy.  The way to be sure you get your player is to draft the guy before any other team does.  If you would rather dick around and wait for free agency, well, dick around all you want.

And yet one really good kicker emerges after another after not getting drafted, like the two kickers used to illustrate how important good kickers are. 

Apparently the entire NFL "dicked around" by not drafting Justin Tucker or Phil Dawson. 

1- Nick Sciba, Wake Forest..ACC bias?

Sciba is nearly automatic.

In fact, at one point during the 2021 season, he had made 34 consecutive field goals, setting an NCAA record.

FAyqisRWQAglaBR.jpg.49c2edd0d3d161c4a0b0acfbb5a3dbae.jpg game winner vs. Louisville

He was 7 of 7 from the 40-49 yard range, something the Browns should take note of.

Even more impressive, he only missed two kicks from that range in four years.

Kicking
Year School Conf Class Pos G XPM XPA XP% FGM FGA FG% Pts Punts Yds Avg
Career Wake Forest         193 193 100.0 80 89 89.9 433 0  
*2018 Wake Forest ACC FR PK 13 50 50 100.0 19 22 86.4 107 0 0  
*2019 Wake Forest ACC SO PK 13 47 47 100.0 24 25 96.0 119 0 0  
*2020 Wake Forest ACC JR PK 8 31 31 100.0 14 17 82.4 73 0 0  
*2021 Wake Forest ACC JR K 14 65 65 100.0 23 25 92.0 134 0 0  

*note--- has not missed a x-point   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  in 4 years. NFL x-pt. range is 35 yards.

Career distance Stats/ top 2021..bottom 2018

FG% FG 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ LNG XPM XPA PTS
92.0 23-25 0-0 12-13 4-4 7-7 0-1 46 65 65 134
82.4 14-17 0-0 2-3 5-6 7-8 0-0 46 31 31 73
96.0 24-25 0-0 13-13 6-6 5-6 0-0 45 47 47 119
86.4 19-22 0-0 8-9 9-11 2-2 0-0 49 50 50 107

What I'm finding is? Only Walterfootball has a South Carolina Kicker, worthy enough to be projecting him as going in the 5th/7th round..seems like, drafting a kicker, could be tossed, into a big FA frenzy pool again? 

Skiba's might only be all of 5'10 190 at the combine...   Justin Tucker's leg whip comes from a 6'1" frame... LSU says. LSU Cade York is 6'1" 198.

Soooo.......my kicker scouting is done here 🤓.... York 1a... Skiba 1b...

tangibles will matter.. onside kicks/height & placement short end-zone/can boot to back of end-zone when called upon.. (the small practice details we rarely see)
can you image the card reading? Cameron  Dicker the Kicker from Texas? 😭  🤘  oy vey!