THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns at Ravens Game Thread: Nov 28

Dutch Oven

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Dear mighty footballs Gods 🧙‍♂️ 

Gathering those posts from multiple pages of this thread is 15 minutes of your life that you'll never get back!

The only thing worse could be the worst pickup line you've ever used or overheard being used.

"Hey, you're a single mom of one.. want to be a single mom of two?"

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The only thing worse could be the worst pickup line you've ever used or overheard being used.

"Hey, you're a single mom of one.. want to be a single mom of two?"

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}      Dump A Day Funny Pictures Of The Day - 91 Pics   do ties still equal like kissing your sister  😘   ? 

Good Morning Pittsburgh !   

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, MDDawg said:

No we see how shitty our receivers are now that they're drawing the coverage Beckham used to receive.

Odd. 

I could have sworn there were warning signs of that?  Now if I could just put my finger on who dived into just that topic...   Anywho.

I'm rewatching and I like some of the early strategy by Stef and the offensive coaches.   They clearly knew Baltimore was going to go after Baker and force him to win the game.    That first 3rd down conversion was a great call.   I'll explain....

Coaches know Baker is banged up and want to take every precaution in him taking further contact.  There are only a few ways to do that.

- Superior players on the Oline

- Making quick and accurate throws with faster developing concepts/routes.  

- Bottle up pressure and secure the trenches with extra bodies.           Browns choose to the the last one for this particular early 3rd down conversion.

Hoop motions from the trio stack to the backfield on Baker's left.   This puts both our TE's on the field on the same side and to the boundary (short side)

22738847_3rddownmaxProdeeptare.thumb.jpg.24bbcee6a6939eb154c10744660cc73d.jpg

Post snap.

You get a slide protect towards Conklin's side.

Hoop and Njoku secure the edges to Bakers blind while Jed picks up Brandon Williams who was parked at something of a 4i tech.    The wall is built, Baker has a clean pocket with plenty of room to step up and to the left if he has to.      Behind it, the Ravens are sending a 3 Fire.  It's a 5 man pressure (red numbers along the Dline for count) and behind it you get a 3 deep - 3 underneath zone with coverages as I put in yellow.

2061161384_3rddownfire.thumb.jpg.034f1f842ee6a711e2d1b3bea9a73e7b.jpg

Beyond just the protection call...   

Stef dials up a trusted friend - a 3 man flood to the field side.  This is Stefanski's bread and butter.  Floods which he'll toss at you from a lot of different formations and personnel groupings.  This is Baker throwing to his right (the far side) with a ton of time.   Something I pointed out in his thread he doesn't do much of (correctly) when he's in 5 man protections, empty or sometimes even with a 5th and check or 6th. 

In order from the yellow numbers.

1 -The 9 (go) clears out the corner

2 - the flat brings down and holds the safety

3 - Juice running the 7 (bench, flag, tons of names) Which he breaks beyond the backer, underneath the cleared out corner, while moving upfield with depth and width to avoid that safety from recovering flat.

188619903_Floodvs3Fire.thumb.jpg.b6dc94d3723f6d370bb45f0e043b5366.jpg

And the result is a big early 3rd down conversion

Baker delivers an OK ball in space, Landry makes a nice hands catch and gets a little YAC to go with it.  

2048997961_finishedproduct.thumb.jpg.740c83f4cc30c549fb19b1b005ca8b69.jpg

Granted I'm only through the first quarter now.  But the early game plan hasn't been all that bad.   I may find a lot more in the remaining 3 quarters that's damning, but I'm enjoying what our offensive coaching staff has put together so far with a beat up QB and without a WR that draws an extra set of eyes on the regular.   

Oh, and for those here wondering why the Browns just didn't slam the ball in more and let Chubb try to create literally anything.... Well....

That would be 10 bodies within 9 yards of the ball.

2139639938_Boxcount.thumb.jpg.4d8e94576d00c31aa9ab1acfd354b79f.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Since this will be the de-facto Browns - Ravens thread for week 2, I'm somewhat* calling a shot here.   Thinking ahead to what the Browns defense put on tape Sunday and adjustments the ratbirds will make.     I wouldn't be shocked to see this called.  Actually I'd be more shocked if it wasn't called.

This is an over front (3tech to called strength) the Browns are running.  

Because of the alignment of the H/F (depends on how the Ravens tag it, it's Ricard the fullback)  Myles is now the 'closed' end.    With the pre-snap motion he draws eyes and most importantly could mean a couple things - trap block (not likely given down and distance, but the Ravens are an unconventional team running the ball) or some type of sift.   Either way, the LT and the zoneblocks from the line create the natural lateral step Myles shows in order to control his man.

1222388829_Speedoptionpresnap.thumb.jpg.902a68f0a910471906adfcaf579a4642.jpg

We know Myles has a minor tendency to take himself out of plays on occasion in order to backdoor or attempt to generate big TFL.  It's just the cost of doing business with a player of his caliber.    But in this second frame I'm isolating something I would run if I was Harbaugh and desperate for a go-ahead score.   Or at least, something I felt I would need in order to ice a game in a low scoring battle.

The Ol' classico.  Speed option.

The line flow and and flash/pull by ricard gets eyes to follow him while the Dline has to flow with zone in order to not get out leveraged.  This puts Harrison, the now backside edge (contain) in a hell of a bind.  Because if he gets a speed option thrown his way, HE becomes the read man.   If he downsteps and stays square with Lamar while the running back is even, it's an easy toss to the corner where Denzel is going to get boxed out by a receiver.    

If Harrison does get width and takes away the pitch, then it's up to Delpit and Myles to recover to get back and stop Lamar from making his one cut inside and upfield to paydirt.   Myles is going to get contact from the LT and, given that it's Villaneuva, likely that "veteran" tug on the frame to keep MG from peeling away to help.   So I'm betting my money against a rookie safety in Delpit getting back home and making a play.    This is an early scouting report of sorts. He's a young player that loves being aggressive downhill and making splash tackles.   If I'm the Ravens and I draw this same look inside the 10-15 and I think my QB can protect him self...  I'm going to draw this up during my weekly preperation.

It's a pain in the ass to beat a team twice in the same year.  I need to have something ready I haven't previously shown if I want to stay a step ahead of the Browns redzone defense.   This, IMHO, would be my call.  

1756269129_Speedoptionpostsnap.thumb.jpg.75f60502400d5e5e743ce430143c872d.jpg