THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I would just love to know what he thought about the whole thing and why wanted out so badly.  I'm sure Berry knows, because he talked with him at the time....but Berry won't talk.  I even tried water-boarding on him.  :)

1. OBJ is a big city/big stage guy. He's a guy who loves the spotlight. New York is the biggest stage. Los Angeles is Hollywood. He ended up being traded to Cleveland. 

2. This is not a dynamic passing offense. It's not how Stefanski's offense is set up.

3. Baker Mayfield is not a dynamic passer. He can be a successful QB in Stefanski's offense, but he's not going to put up Madden numbers, thus, his WRs aren't going to put up big numbers. 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

1. OBJ is a big city/big stage guy. He's a guy who loves the spotlight. New York is the biggest stage. Los Angeles is Hollywood. He ended up being traded to Cleveland. 

2. This is not a dynamic passing offense. It's not how Stefanski's offense is set up.

3. Baker Mayfield is not a dynamic passer. He can be a successful QB in Stefanski's offense, but he's not going to put up Madden numbers, thus, his WRs aren't going to put up big numbers. 

I 100% agree on all points.  But we HAVE to have the ability to be a dynamic passing team.  We play in the NFL...and it's always been all about the QB. (a smart guy once said that...or was it a smart ass?)  :)

Given the number of snaps Stef apparently wants to call using 5WR, yards should flow like water.

Let's start with completing the pass before we worry about the YAC, though.  Perhaps if the WR group were as athletic as Ohio State's backups, we'd have a shot at more than a 3 yard dumpoff and a cloud of fieldturf pellets. 

As a comparison, Jordan Love gets the ball out quickly and usually makes the right decision -- as we saw, he's had some accuracy issues even with the right read.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:15 PM, ATOM said:

seriously some of you people must be brain damaged who the hell are you going to get to replace baker ?

I'd give Russ Wilson and Rodgers the start right away but they're the only two in the NFL that you might be able to make a play for. Anyone else is either not leaving their team for any price or not worth trading up for. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I'd give Russ Wilson and Rodgers the start right away but they're the only two in the NFL that you might be able to make a play for. Anyone else is either not leaving their team for any price or not worth trading up for. 

Not to mention we would be in competition with Shittsburgh for a FA QB in the AFCN.

They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

10 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

They're going to keep Baker. I don't think there's any chance of Cleveland landing Rodgers or Wilson. Maybe they get Carr and he outright starts over Baker. Otherwise, they're going to get Cousins or Trubisky or draft a mid round QB to push him. 

Baker's career as a starting QB might be over. We will know after he takes his first big hit and if he gets up with confidence or continues to see ghosts. 

Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Depending on how the coach situation pans out, if the Browns could swap Carr for Mayfield + a pick I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Carr is everything this offense wants and needs and quietly has clutch in his career. If I'm Berry and that's an option, it's a no brainer for me. 

Baker seems irrelevant to the trade lol. Who's going to want him coming off injury and after the year he had?

1 hour ago, VaporTrail said:

Baker seems irrelevant to the trade lol. Who's going to want him coming off injury and after the year he had?

the same reason Goff went to the Lions, my man. If it wasn't clear, I'm saying the Browns would also have to throw in pick(s) on top of trading Mayfield. In this scenario, the team wouldn't keep Mayfield as back-up. That would be plain dumb.

Some team is always going to take a chance on a top pick who had at least some high caliber film on tape (Carson Wentz, for example). This situation isn't the same, but I'd say that Wentz was literally at the same place Mayfield is now in terms of "does he still have it" and look what the Colts gave up. Granted, Wentz strong season was better than any of Mayfield's, but the situation is very comparable.

4 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Rumor mill says Baker for Cousins...

The rumor mill that starts their own out of thin air just for clicks. 

Probably Dawgs by Nature, Heavy On and most of those other sites that go full trash when offseason hits. 

I'm not saying it isn't possible, only saying the rumor isn't from actual NFL sources more than just wild speculation. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:14 AM, jrb12711 said:

If I could swap out my Honda for a Ferrari it'd be a no brainer for me as well, but unfortunately for Berry and myself, reality has a pesky way of snuffing out pipe-dreams.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

If I could swap out my Honda for a Ferrari it'd be a no brainer for me as well, but unfortunately for Berry and myself, reality has a pesky way of snuffing out pipe-dreams.

What a buzzkill JB!

I was hoping we would get Tom Brady, and have Aaron Rodgers as his backup.

Carr a Ferrari? That's a pretty generous assessment. You should be working for Ganley.

But I got to love a guy who keeps his dreams so modest. Kind of like taking a ride through Bedford and getting choked up by the 1150 square foot two bed 1 bath bungalow.

😃

WSS

Mayfield a Honda? 

That's a pretty generous assessment.

Hondas perform well every day. 😉

• Haha 2

Mayfield a Honda? 

That's a pretty generous assessment.

Hondas perform well every day. 😉

More like a Yugo or a Chevy Nova (which in South America was a joke because "no va" means doesn't go in Spanish).🚗💥💨

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Gave up my caddy for my Honda.  I miss a heavier car and AWD, but damn it's way cheaper to maintain and better on gas.

Had a Honda for 11 years, it got totaled and got a Subaru. 

I may never buy another brand of car. 

Mazda is actually more reliable than honda or toyota now across the lineup, their chassis are infinitely better, and arguably best of all, no Mazda uses the terrible, horrible, no-good CVT.  I bought a Honda new in 05, drove it 15 years and 300k, but i recently switched to the cx5 with the turbo and it's a superior drive. [Even got $750 from the dealer for trading in a 2005 car..]

Especially with crossclimate2 tires - I'm driving 90 miles tomorrow morning and I'll be fine even in this fun storm.  They're all-seasons that are snow rated.

My first new car was an '85 Honda CRX Si I put over 200k hard ass but trouble free miles on it before it was rear ended by an uninsured 17yr old. 

My second Honda was a 2003 Accord EX. It had 263k on it when I sold it last February when I bought my next Honda....

A 2018 Honda Civic EX. It's my wife's car and she loves it. The CVT is weird though, but in typical wife fashion, she says she feels no difference between it and a gearbox car. What the actual fuck?? 

I drive a 2019 Honda Ridgeline...... I'm 54 and with the way I keep vehicles, this could well be my last truck. It's the most comfortable, best driving Honda that I have ever owned. Go ahead, insert "it's not a truck" jokes down below... then go test drive one for yourself and you'll quickly shut the hell up. 

I also owned a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that I drove for a few years and then gave to my daughter for her 16th birthday. It was a quick and fairly reliable car and while it was super fun to drive, it was certainly an economy car in terms of fit and finish. Road noise was the only thing louder than the exhaust. I do like Mazda though, but they are certainly no Honda. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Mazda is actually more reliable than honda or toyota now across the lineup, their chassis are infinitely better, and arguably best of all, no Mazda uses the terrible, horrible, no-good CVT.  I bought a Honda new in 05, drove it 15 years and 300k, but i recently switched to the cx5 with the turbo and it's a superior drive. [Even got $750 from the dealer for trading in a 2005 car..]

Especially with crossclimate2 tires - I'm driving 90 miles tomorrow morning and I'll be fine even in this fun storm.  They're all-seasons that are snow rated.

I've heard good things about the newer Mazdas.  Can't argue with the K series motors in my Honda though. Damn thing will probably go 300k if I take care of it.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You sound like a good friend of mine. He loves his suby.

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

38 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I've heard good things about the newer Mazdas.  Can't argue with the K series motors in my Honda though. Damn thing will probably go 300k if I take care of it.

You sound like a good friend of mine. He loves his suby.

I just bought a Mazda CX30 last year- I like it a lot.  It performs and handles really well for a small SUV. I can haul things besides kids and groceries. I had a CX5 before that and I liked it.  

I have and had no issues with either.  

Has anyone tried to sell a used car now?  Wow.  Cost of Used cars were reported to be up 30% this past year. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I just bought a Mazda CX30 last year- I like it a lot.  It performs and handles really well for a small SUV. I can haul things besides kids and groceries. I had a CX5 before that and I liked it.  

I have and had no issues with either.  

Has anyone tried to sell a used car now?  Wow.  Cost of Used cars were reported to be up 30% this past year. 

Co worker of mine said the difference between a used 4Runner with 35,000 miles and a new 4Runner with 17 miles was less than $4000... naturally he went with the new.

Got a 2018 Outback. Wife loves it because she's short and has great vision over the hood with settings that go for her and another setting for me at push of the buttons. Next one I get will be a Subaru Crosstrek in about 3 years. We'll hang on to the Outback. The dealership is always trying to fool me into trading it in. No way Jose.

10 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Not even close.  Honda and Toyota lead reliability ratings.  My Honda has the 10 speed automatic 2.0T engine.  Mazda is a small company.  I also have the crossclimate 2 tires.  They are awesome.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Got a 2018 Outback. Wife loves it because she's short and has great vision over the hood with settings that go for her and another setting for me at push of the buttons. Next one I get will be a Subaru Crosstrek in about 3 years. We'll hang on to the Outback. The dealership is always trying to fool me into trading it in. No way Jose.

I have the Crosstek, and its plenty big enough for me. It's basically a smaller Outback, for $10,000 less and better MPG. 

And now it comes in the bigger engine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1