THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You don't come back into an open spot in a zone defense.

You throw the ball to your receiver past the first level but before the second level. As been pointed out numerous times, Baker does not do a great job of anticipating windows or anticipating his receivers breaking open vs man-to-man. He doesn't lead receivers as much as he throws at them. 

Baker was supposed to throw it over the top, as there was no over the top help. Could've been a TD, but obviously we all know Baker can't throw TD passes over 3 yards. Landry expected it to be over the top, which is why he was so shocked that the ball was a comeback and he fell on his ass. Again, nobody over the top. Fail. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm going to stop you right there, that isn't ALWAYS* accurate. 

The half field sprint out Baker was running can be one such a case.      Ultimately we won't know until the All-22 comes out and somebody (who are we kidding? Likely it'll be me) goes back over it several times.

I meant on that play, where Landry is jetting down the sidelines.

To think he's going to run past a defender, past the open area, and into the second level, stop on a dime, and come back to the open area on that specific play IMO isn't real likely. If Baker wanted to hit him in that open area, then hit him on the run past level one but before level two. 

14 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

. But the Browns absolutely have to see what it would take for Rodgers, R. Wilson, or D. Watson. We're not winning a Super Bowl with Baker, ever. 

I'm speculating that Wilson is on the decline. He, like Baker this season had/has injury problems. He also has DK Metcalf, Lockett. Not much happening with that offense. And yes, Wilson is a winner and proven commodity, I just wonder if a change of scenery sparks him, or has he lost the fire that made him great?

Rodgers, wouldn't shock me if he left GB, but to come here I doubt it. Browns would have to really break the bank- doesn't seem like something Berry & DePodesta would do.

Watson's situation is so unsettled. Anywhere he lands would be a potential PR nightmare, and his contract is sky high. I read somewhere, I think on profootballtalk.com that legal stuff with him would begin in late January/February. Once that settles, then he & his agent start a plan for him...hopefully it won't be an orchestrated " I'm going to _____" like OBJ, but I can see it happening.

13 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I'm speculating that Wilson is on the decline. He, like Baker this season had/has injury problems. He also has DK Metcalf, Lockett. Not much happening with that offense. And yes, Wilson is a winner and proven commodity, I just wonder if a change of scenery sparks him, or has he lost the fire that made him great?

Wilson had his best years when he had a strong running game and a good D, sound familiar ? and would be a huge up grade over baker

36 minutes ago, ATOM said:

Wilson had his best years when he had a strong running game and a good D, sound familiar ? and would be a huge up grade over baker

As long as he's motivated & healthy yes, a huge upgrade. 

from watching the beginning of the ratbirds vs bengals game just now....

the ratbirds lost both starting qbs, signed some guy that has been with

13 different teams......

put him on the field, and HE throws right down the field to wide open Bateman, wide open Andrews, wide open Brown, open Bateman, ....etc for a TD.

Bateman, and Brown were all first round draft picks. Andrews, TE, 3rd round. and Sammy Watkins was a first round draft pick.

So, apprently, it doesn't matter who the qb is for the ratbirds....

just sayin......

BTW, the Bucs lost wr's Godwin and Evans to injury - and and Antonio Brown was still finishing suspension.... the Bucs lost 9-0.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Did anyone else notice DPJ was wide open on that play?

Yeah, that's been well documented with one read Baker. He was rolling out, and already had his mind made up where he was going with the ball.  I pointed out in a different game he went deep into double coverage, and on the other side of the field he had either Hooper or Njoku with no one within 10 yards of them for a walk in touchdown.  

13 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

from watching the beginning of the ratbirds vs bengals game just now....

You only watched the opening drive then and proceeded to shut your eyes immediately after.

See how Josh Johnson has been playing since when the Cincy defense isn't exchanging yards for time?   

He's at 47% since that drive.

Browns already picked up Baker's 5th year option, so he's locked in as starting QB next year, whether we like it or not  Berry and co. have the philosophy of building through the draft, so unless the Browns get an amazing sweetheart deal from another team, picking up an established QB like Rodgers or Wilson is highly unlikely due to the cost. Best course of action would be to draft a QB in this year's draft and let him sit for a year to assimilate the system. Then, if Baker doesn't improve next year, the Browns can cut bait cleanly and have a QB who's firmly established in their system. There really isn't a blue-chipper in this year's QB class, but I could see the Browns using a 2nd rounder on a QB like Riddle from UC.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You only watched the opening drive then and proceeded to shut your eyes immediately after.

See how Josh Johnson has been playing since when the Cincy defense isn't exchanging yards for time?   

He's at 47% since that drive.

So, I fell asleep. lol. Good call... dammit. Great food. My Wife told me how it ended. Now, We'll see the Chiefs play without Kelce and how it goes. Great Christmas food leftovers! And my own recipe pumpkin pie .... is way too good.

• Like 1

If Desaun Watson isn’t in jail, he is who the Browns need to go after. He is actually 5 months younger then Baker

And he is a proven, pro bowl player. With MVP potential. 
Plus he is already signed to a contract, that by next year, will be team friendly 

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I'm speculating that Wilson is on the decline. He, like Baker this season had/has injury problems

At zero moments in Wilson's entire career has he had an OL as good as the worst one the Browns trotted out in the last 3 seasons. Even in Hawks one title season they were bottom-10 in OL [even though that crew was the most expensive OL] and the last few years Seattle has spent proving the thing we've said for years throughout this forum --- spending lots on QB/WR and having a Ghoolie OL [nothing] does not a SB win.  

Yes, we don't have WR.. that's what a draft and targeted FA can fix quick enough.. but we do have [and hopefully can continue to have] everything else with a Wilson.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

At zero moments in Wilson's entire career has he had an OL as good as the worst one the Browns trotted out in the last 3 seasons. Even in Hawks one title season they were bottom-10 in OL [even though that crew was the most expensive OL] and the last few years Seattle has spent proving the thing we've said for years throughout this forum --- spending lots on QB/WR and having a Ghoolie OL [nothing] does not a SB win.  

Yes, we don't have WR.. that's what a draft and targeted FA can fix quick enough.. but we do have [and hopefully can continue to have] everything else with a Wilson.

Except his wife wants a big city market. He is NOT coming to Cleveland 

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

If Desaun Watson isn’t in jail, he is who the Browns need to go after. He is actually 5 months younger then Baker

And he is a proven, pro bowl player. With MVP potential. 
Plus he is already signed to a contract, that by next year, will be team friendly 

Problem is... Great- the Browns offer the Texans Baker, but that's not going to be close to enough.  Berry won't trade away a truckload of picks to get a guy with questionable moral issues. 

3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Browns already picked up Baker's 5th year option, so he's locked in as starting QB next year, whether we like it or not  Berry and co. have the philosophy of building through the draft, so unless the Browns get an amazing sweetheart deal from another team, picking up an established QB like Rodgers or Wilson is highly unlikely due to the cost. Best course of action would be to draft a QB in this year's draft and let him sit for a year to assimilate the system. Then, if Baker doesn't improve next year, the Browns can cut bait cleanly and have a QB who's firmly established in their system. There really isn't a blue-chipper in this year's QB class, but I could see the Browns using a 2nd rounder on a QB like Riddle from UC.

Overall, I agree jb... BUT if Baker posts a couple more stinko 50ish qbrs in the last two games, and the Browns go 7-10? MHO is Baker isn't going to have the starters job gift wrapped for him in 2022.   

That Mayfield is Mr. Anti-clutch with the game on the line- should already be giving Berry cause for concern. 

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

So who then? NYG?

That was the rumor.

Then he came out and said he ain't leaving and plans to be in Seattle for 20 more years

Type his name into Google though. 20 teams names pop up as reported suitors.

Sounds like a massive price tag to me. And he just lost to the Bears... Against Nick Foles. 

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I won't lie, I chuckled when I came across this today.... 

baker feeling generous.jpg

It was Christmas.  The season of giving 

17 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Best course of action would be to draft a QB in this year's draft and let him sit for a year to assimilate the system. Then, if Baker doesn't improve next year, the Browns can cut bait cleanly and have a QB who's firmly established in their system. There really isn't a blue-chipper in this year's QB class, but I could see the Browns using a 2nd rounder on a QB like Riddle from UC.

Well thought out/fair post...

So we have our system QB in 26 y.o. Nick Mullins...  size says 6' 1" (which looks shorter walking up to full grown *** men in the trenches)

I'm a favorite of accurate 6'3/6'4 QB's... Mayfield/Mullins all read of size just over 6ft...(bs) Corral/Zappe/Howell/Willis fall into here

So we need to agree on a better than< Nick Mullins future? Drafting such in 2nd or 3rd round? (Much after pick 50-75 is a real dice roll in this draft totally)

Pickett 6'3'.... Ridder 6'4.....Carson Strong 6'4"..... Tanner McKee 6'6"

Well... I think I may have a 4 man list? 🤔

Nick Mullins--- Undrafted... from Brett Farve St of Southern Miss.... Verse a Fab 4?             stay tuned......

OK here's a cheap shot from somebody who has been on a variety of Browns Boards since the Dark Days.

Dorsey screwed up two ways, IMHO:  Trading for OBJ and drafting Baker Mayfield.

Baker may, or may not, have the arm and physical tools to be a top-tier NFL QB.  However, he has little to nothing between the ears.

If the Browns do or did extend him, I believe it is a mistake.  Talk about his injuries all you want.

He is WAY overhyped.  MAYBE in the middle-third of starting QBs.   Maybe in the bottom third.

I just can't keep my feelings under wraps any longer

FWIW, have a Happy and Healthy 2022 to all but - especially - to those who have been around since the aol days.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I’d pass on this “Riddle” guy whoever that is 😐

Well, he's the quarterback of THE Cincinnati Bearcats. You'll have a chance to scout him this Friday when they play Alabama in the National semifinals. :)

Just say no to Mitchell Trubisky.  

Nick Mullins ain’t the guy and has never been the guy.

Deshaun Watson…Is intriguing…although comes with a price tag and whatever baggage he may or may not be cleared of.  So I’m leaning to no…and by some accounts he is touch passer (not a rifle arm that is needed off the shores of Lake Erie).

Jimmy G.- is a better or worse version of Baker Mayfield depending on the Sunday.  

and now the they won’t come here because it is the Browns…

But why…you have arguably the best lines and backfield in all of football and WR corp that can be fixed/patched up quickly. 

Aaron Rodgers- has he mended the fence with the Packers FO?  If it is no- he’s got to be in play.  We have some guys in their prime the time is now. 

Russ- has never had a line or backfield that he would have in Cleveland.  Can live here from August to January and then be anywhere else he wants.  Is he sticking around post Pete (he’s a goner in a couple weeks).

Draftees- Pickett (first round) and Tanner Morgan (3rd day gamble) both worth developing IMO.

32 minutes ago, Chicopee John said:

OK here's a cheap shot from somebody who has been on a variety of Browns Boards since the Dark Days.

Dorsey screwed up two ways, IMHO:  Trading for OBJ and drafting Baker Mayfield.

Baker may, or may not, have the arm and physical tools to be a top-tier NFL QB.  However, he has little to nothing between the ears.

If the Browns do or did extend him, I believe it is a mistake.  Talk about his injuries all you want.

He is WAY overhyped.  MAYBE in the middle-third of starting QBs.   Maybe in the bottom third.

I just can't keep my feelings under wraps any longer

FWIW, have a Happy and Healthy 2022 to all but - especially - to those who have been around since the aol days.

Great to see you post again John. Hope life has been treating you well.  

FWIW, I don't much fault picking up OBJ or Baker. Kyler Murray came out of the same college and system, seems to be doing OK, and he's even shorter than Mayfield.  

If you've been following,  our resident film breakdown guru has well documented Baker's numerous failures to make post snap adjustments to what the defense is doing though. 

We could have done a lot worse than  Baker in 2018. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen qualify as first round busts. Cal's fave Josh Allen has miraculously improved his accuracy,  and it remains to be seen how good Lamar Jackson will be when he no longer has the wheels of a Kareem Hunt.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Great to see you post again John. Hope life has been treating you well.  

Same to you, Larry.  Also to your Little Feat - lovin' wife!

I take no pride in coming out of hibernation, only to blast the Browns.  I'd like nothing better than for Mayfield to prove me wrong and for folks to tell me I was wrong, wrong, wrong.   Lord knows, folks around here are laughing at me for predicting the Browns would be playing in the AFC Championship Game this year.

PS  Did the OBJ pickup remind you of the Andre Rison acquisition - the outcomes, at least.

Health and Happiness in 2022