THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

Baker was bad.  He made some bad decisions. - 1st drive of nd half, Felton standing there, wide open, beyond the sticks, Baker plainly sees him but tries to run instead, so we punt.  He had a bunch of open targets that he just plain airmailed over their heads.  Thank God the defense saved the day (and Chubb & Hunt).

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I am afraid he is getting back into that "find OBJ" mode which causes him to play much worse. He is a better thrower when scanning the field searching for the right option.

But this doesn’t explain when he finds him and throws OBJ the ball.
He found him and missed him at least three times on plays that should have been made down the field.  If it is his non throwing shoulder causing accuracy issues and he’s playing hurt the staff needs to assess whether or not Keenum right now is a better option.

He missed a wide open Harrison Bryant too-  high and wide. 

• Like 1

Obviously he looked poor today, but I think we're missing the fact he's a little more dinged up in that shoulder than he and the team are leading on.

Mayfield's 'problem' has never been accuracy. You saw the accuracy there the first two weeks. What changed week 3? A huge pop on the shoulder, albeit non-throwing. I could have been seeing what I wanted to see, but I swear I noticed a wince on 3-4 throws down the field. It's my understanding as well that he's wearing a protective device that maybe needs to be reconsidered. Baker was clearly playing at a top 10-12 level from the back half of 2020 through first two weeks this year-hopefully this injury is the problem.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We can run the ball

We can stop the run.

We can defend the pass

We can rush the passer

Special Teams aside from a dropped punt snap have been very good. 

We haven’t been plagued by penalties 

Passing game while working well at times is still a work in progress 

We could protect the ball better (but 0 turnovers today)

QB play needs to improve.

It is October 3 and this is a very good team 

We’ve played an elite offense, a very good offense, a great defense and we’ve played in two tough environments.

Chargers are next they will play a physical division game against the Raiders.  That series is always physical and the games are ugly…we are fortunate to catch them next week.

so what you are saying is we are good QB play away from a super bowl?    not great qb play just good.

15 hours ago, ballpeen said:

No doubt it wasn't a good effort, but we won.

the d was magnificant......its about time....correct me if i am wrong, but i thought i heard cousings was the number one ranked qb going into the game....so the d did great...as far as the offense..........the sucked....again....don't care what excuses are out there, obj and baker just never hit it off since day one...don't want to hear this shit about injuries...the pandemic...laci of practice together because there are teams out there with new recievers  on their respective teams and they are doing well....it just did not happen....we still need that wr with explosiveness......we don't have one......can't rely on our rb's all the time.....as far as baker goes...he better own up this weekend vs. the lightning bolts....and then the cards.....hmmmmmmmm....i don't know.....

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Baker was bad.  He made some bad decisions. - 1st drive of nd half, Felton standing there, wide open, beyond the sticks, Baker plainly sees him but tries to run instead, so we punt.  He had a bunch of open targets that he just plain airmailed over their heads.  Thank God the defense saved the day (and Chubb & Hunt).

me thinks baker thought he was lamar on that play......sorry baker you cannot run like lamar...get that thought out of your head....

• Like 1

Watching the Bucs and Pats play last night - even Brady was overthrowing wr's a lot of the game.

It happens. Years ago, under a lot of pressure, Peyton Manning threw three interceptions in a playoff game.

Under a lot of pressure, knowing both OT's and Tretter were playing hurt, going against a very, very solid defense, Baker playing with a hurt shoulder...

and he makes no excuses for his "piss poor play".....I admire that hugely. He'll bounce back. I still think he aggravated his left shoulder on that run. I'm wondering if Wills should sit out a week or two. He finally had to leave the game, limping pretty good on his ankle.

The Chargers are a terrific passing offense, not much of a rushing offense. That should help Baker a lot. Need to get Schwartz more involved next week.

23 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Stefanski today said from what he’s seen in practice, it’s not bakers shoulder that is the issue for lack of accuracy 

Then you have to wonder what exactly is the problem.  Mechanics gone to hell?  Maybe one of our resident experts can comment. 

The Browns would get in trouble with the league if Baker does have a shoulder injury they're not reporting. Not like that sort of stuff doesn't happen all the time.  

6 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

so what you are saying is we are good QB play away from a super bowl?    not great qb play just good.

I’m not saying he’s great, good or bad.  We just need him to perform better on a consistent basis.  I think he’s more than capable of stringing together many great performances we saw that in the second half of 2020.

The Bears game it looked like his feet were a mess. Yesterday it looked like he was stepping into his throws he just misfired multiple times timing perhaps off.  He was wide right on a couple big ones to OBJ and one to Bryant 

It looks like we are performing well in other areas of the game.  I don’t know what it will take to get out of the AFC but our play in other areas leads me to believe we are capable.

Just as important as Baker, our Front 4 needs to stay healthy and maintain this high level of play. We had 22 pressures yesterday 16!!! Yes 16…came from occasions where we only pressured with the front 4.  Now we praised Woods and he’s dialed up some blitz packages and mixed coverages much better these past two weeks but our front 4 is the main culprit to this emergence. And Woods is going to call on them each week to get pressure.  

4 hours ago, browns52 said:

the d was magnificant......its about time....correct me if i am wrong, but i thought i heard cousings was the number one ranked qb going into the game....so the d did great...as far as the offense..........the sucked....again....don't care what excuses are out there, obj and baker just never hit it off since day one...don't want to hear this shit about injuries...the pandemic...laci of practice together because there are teams out there with new recievers  on their respective teams and they are doing well....it just did not happen....we still need that wr with explosiveness......we don't have one......can't rely on our rb's all the time.....as far as baker goes...he better own up this weekend vs. the lightning bolts....and then the cards.....hmmmmmmmm....i don't know.....

OBJ had his guy beat deep on missed PI call on Peterson- throw was off too and two other times in the second half.  One other time he was stride for stride and Baker threw the ball behind and wide and OBJ couldn’t turn and one arm it.  

He did nothing wrong yesterday and he showed that he’s more the capable of beating man coverage. If he gets a decent throw on just one of those three plays I mentioned are we even having this discussion? 

4 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Stefanski today said from what he’s seen in practice, it’s not bakers shoulder that is the issue for lack of accuracy 

Interesting. Not quite a full under the bus throw by Stef, but a nice subtle "Listen, the dude isn't hurt, he just hasn't played well the last couple of weeks".

I like it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Then you have to wonder what exactly is the problem.  Mechanics gone to hell?  Maybe one of our resident experts can comment. 

The Browns would get in trouble with the league if Baker does have a shoulder injury they're not reporting. Not like that sort of stuff doesn't happen all the time.  

No resident expert here....there was one throw later in the game.  I think a pass to maybe Hooper.  As soon as baker threw the ball I knew it was high.  It almost looked like it slipped out of his hand...sure enough it sailed over Hoops head.

I do know pitching mechanics....so, when a pitcher gets fast below the shoulder, he tends to throw high as he tries to get his arm back in to the proper slot, but invariably ends up late with the arm and the ball goes high.

Yesterday, baker did look to have "happy feet", like he didn't trust the line, and he was hurried quite a bit, so there is that.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Footwork and shoulder direction are the next best explanations.  Although I was never a fan of how much knee bend he has in his stance.   Need him to stand a little "taller" and really drive off that back foot to gather his velocity.  Sometimes I genuinely believe he's throwing with the strength of his upper body and arm too* much.   If the ball leaves his hands a little early on a more 3/4 style delivery, can cause the nose of the ball to sail high.   

Educated guesses at this point.

• Upvote 1

I still contend that Baker is injured, and it is hampering his accuracy.

Compare how he looked for the second half of last season and the first two games of this season, to how he has looked vs Chicago and Minnesota. 

That being said, I don't think people who question if he is someone who will be a top-level QB are crazy either. 

47 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Your 1st claim seems accurate.. Your not popping anybodies shoulder joint back into place without the pain of some stretched ligaments in that shoulder.. Torn? the browns staff can't hide

Fig 1.2 - The ligaments of the shoulder joint. The transverse humeral ligament is not shown on this diagram.  any doctors? have at it... https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/joints/shoulder/

36 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still contend that Baker is injured, and it is hampering his accuracy.

Compare how he looked for the second half of last season and the first two games of this season, to how he has looked vs Chicago and Minnesota. 

...kinda' from the moment of that hit to now.  That could qualify as an Occam's Razor.  

It seems though, that he can throw it pretty nicely when he 'feels' that he can follow right on through with the throw, transferring his weight forward.  All QB's have to throw it when they can't lean into it.  Baker tends to sail his.  

He was sacked 5 times and ruffed up pretty good in that Bears game....with a gimpy Wills, and the two replacements who came in for him.  And this Vikings game was a game with a gimpy Wills and rookie replacement.  It could be that he just doesn't 'feel' safe in the pocket like he used to.  Or/And a painful left shoulder.  

Or, it was bad gravity and he could do nothing right...(Kurt Vonnegut)

Two weeks ago the mob wanted to throw a noose around Joe Woods neck.

Now they're turning on our franchise qb.

All during a 3 game winning streak.

I think you'll be in love with Bake again in two weeks.

In the meantime I'm over here enjoying a Victory Monday the old-fashioned way ... Relishing it.

Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh no, man this is getting twisted. 

I think the Vikings game was on Baker, OBJ did nothing (that I know of) wrong. I was referring to the whole "Does Baker do better with or without OBJ" discussion in general. Definitely not saying OBJ was to blame for yesterday. 

Ok misunderstanding. Also have you watched the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot?

12 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

it is true it's bakers problem not OBj's.  he was open all day and baker kept missing him.

Honestly if that true Baker simple can't be the man. You think Brady wouldn't have creamed his pants to have a WR half as talented as OBJ san Moss during his NE tenure.

18 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Footwork and shoulder direction are the next best explanations.  Although I was never a fan of how much knee bend he has in his stance.   Need him to stand a little "taller" and really drive off that back foot to gather his velocity.  Sometimes I genuinely believe he's throwing with the strength of his upper body and arm too* much.   If the ball leaves his hands a little early on a more 3/4 style delivery, can cause the nose of the ball to sail high.   

Two takeaways from Red Zone last night. Comment #1- Baker is trying too hard to to drive the ball on many occasions, and trying to be another Josh Allen. His arm strength is decent, but it's never going to be elite. I know from my tennis days if you try to hit your serve as hard as you can, your accuracy usually goes to hell- unless you get lucky. Comment#2 Donovan talked to Chris Hubbard Monday, and Chris said "I'm close".  Comment #3 Dieken said if Hubbard is a go, they should shut Willis down for a couple weeks. Admirable that you want to be out there but not at the expense of hurting the team. 

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Your 1st claim seems accurate.. Your not popping anybody's shoulder joint back into place without the pain of some stretched ligaments in that shoulder.. Torn? the browns staff can't hide

Fig 1.2 - The ligaments of the shoulder joint. The transverse humeral ligament is not shown on this diagram.  any doctors? have at it... https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/joints/shoulder/

Yeah- Baker did sort of mention about popping something back in place. Nephew dislocated his shoulder and said getting it back in place hurt like hell. Usually that's a ER visit with some painkillers. I hope it's not something like a torn rotator cuff.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:11 PM, D Bone said:

Awesome win by the defense today, with no help from Baker or Stef... both had bad games and as long as we win I can excuse them. 

^ That being said, let's not make it a habit.  

My thoughts are the whole defense knows Baker is hurt more than he is letting on! So they stepped up BIG TIME!! I really believe that was why Myles called a defense only meeting! MHO

GO BROWNS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:55 AM, SdBacker80 said:

But this doesn’t explain when he finds him and throws OBJ the ball.
He found him and missed him at least three times on plays that should have been made down the field.  If it is his non throwing shoulder causing accuracy issues and he’s playing hurt the staff needs to assess whether or not Keenum right now is a better option.

He missed a wide open Harrison Bryant too-  high and wide. 

That's what I'll saying. For the most part, his decisions were good! People were open. But the ball went stratospheric. I don't understand.