Baker Mayfield

Soju

3 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Hi Debbie Downer.

He had a horrible day.

We won on the road anyway.

I have never been prouder.

Z

lol wut?!  "Never been prouder" of that performance? Ok, I'll remember that take when my daughter brings home a failing grade with a smile.  I'm so proud of you sweetheart!  Can you bring home a lower grade next time?  There you go sweetie, here's a snickers bar.

• Haha 1

Awesome win by the defense today, with no help from Baker or Stef... both had bad games and as long as we win I can excuse them. 

^ That being said, let's not make it a habit.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, luke8878 said:

I just believe baker is better without OBJ is out there 

While the stats may support your opinion, I'm not in that camp. I do think OBJ is an overrated version of his former self, but his presence on the field doesn't 'make Baker worse'. 

Baker Mayfield on his performance today: “That piss-poor performance by me isn’t going to cut it. I’ve got to be better. It’s just that simple”.

^ Hated his game today, but I love his leadership. 

• Upvote 2

We can run the ball

We can stop the run.

We can defend the pass

We can rush the passer

Special Teams aside from a dropped punt snap have been very good. 

We haven’t been plagued by penalties 

Passing game while working well at times is still a work in progress 

We could protect the ball better (but 0 turnovers today)

QB play needs to improve.

It is October 3 and this is a very good team 

We’ve played an elite offense, a very good offense, a great defense and we’ve played in two tough environments.

Chargers are next they will play a physical division game against the Raiders.  That series is always physical and the games are ugly…we are fortunate to catch them next week.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Soju said:

Ok, I'll remember that take when my daughter brings home a failing grade with a smile.  I'm so proud of you sweetheart!  Can you bring home a lower grade next time?  There you go sweetie, here's a snickers bar.

This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}........................  This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}....................... This contains an image of: {{ pinTitle }}   

Baker's presser called his performance? like it was..."I was Piss Poor today".. 

Baker is frustrating to watch.  He shows you what he is capable of, but he has a game like he had today missing wide open guys. So far he has been playing good, just not #1 overall good. He's going to have to step up his game if we are going to get to the next level. I understand everybody has a bad game so spare me.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

Baker is frustrating to watch.  He shows you what he is capable of, but he has a game like he had today missing wide open guys. So far he has been playing good, just not #1 overall good. He's going to have to step up his game if we are going to get to the next level. I understand everybody has a bad game so spare me.

I hope this was his 1 bad game because we won't make it far in the playoffs with performances like that. 

I think Baker's shoulder was banged up worse when he scrambled and took a minor hit on it. He has no fear, and he is as mentally tough as any other qb in the league. He had a bad game.

It wasn't helped by a very good defense that took advantage of banged up Wills and Conklin on the pass rushes. Wills finally had to leave the game in pain. I respect them hugely for starting anyways. I'm sure it's harder to move with outside rushes with an ankle taped up heavily. and still Chubb got a hundred yards rushing.

Under pressure, injured shoulder, Wills, Tretter and Conklin playing banged up... I'll take the win. And the defense started out giving up runs to the outside, then adjustments were made? and they saved the day. Greedy got his first interception - they don't give up. Admire Baker for his outstanding leadership and grit on a tough day.

D+ the only plus I can take out today's performance is that he didn't throw a pick. He was soooo inaccurate and overthrew nearly ever pass to the wide receiver core, in particular OBJ. Dude ran perfect routes and created space only for Baker to fuck all that up. Odell had 1 maybe 2 breakaway TDs that he could have taken to the house that Mayfield fubar.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

OBJ would have had an easy 80+ yards today had Baker been anywhere near on target. Ridiculous to pin this on Beckham

Why does it have to mean that Baker not doing as well with OBJ is OBJ's fault?

It could very well be Baker's fault. Some weird thing where for whatever reason Baker has a mental block when OBJ is on the field? Who knows.

But at the end of the day, I think Baker is hurt, and it is effecting his play. 

And I’m a big fan Baker Mayfield. Believer, apologist, whatever you want to call it. 

I still don’t have that confidence that when it comes down to if-Baker-makes-this-play-we-win, that he’ll make the play. He had a bunch of those this afternoon to close out the game and aside from a scramble (that looked like a first down to me), he flubbed each and every opportunity. 

Everyone saw how gassed the defense was at the end of the game. Kudos to that crew for being the ass-kickers they are. Win/loss should not have had to come down on them so hard when they gave the offense every chance to finish the Vikings off.

Baker made the throws he needed to make.. We won the damn game.. I'll take it.. But honest assessment... He looked average.. I expect he'll snap out of it...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It could very well be Baker's fault. Some weird thing where for whatever reason Baker has a mental block when OBJ is on the field? Who knows.

I think it’s because “some weird thing where for whatever reason Baker has a mental block when OBJ is on the field” is speculative nonsense? 

I suppose it could simply be a lack of chemistry between them. But today it’s pretty obvious who was to blame for the lack of connection. And it wasn’t some innocuous intangible - it was a QB who was consistently unable to hit his target.

• Upvote 1

Today was a solid F. last week was maybe a D+ and the first two weeks were A’s. Let’s hope it’s his shoulder and it heals quickly. Honestly though if his injured shoulder makes him play this badly Keenum should have played. He was 3rd strong rookie bad today. Not only did he miss guys by miles long and high he just continually didn’t see the easy open man. I couldn’t get the play where Felton was so open for a short first down he was holding an I’m open neon billboard. I still can’t fathom that one. Between last week and this week he has blown throws on at least 4 easy TD balls. I’m a fan of Baker but this has to improve fast if we are going anywhere this year. I also was frustrated more than once today when Stefanski abandoned the run as bad as Bake played. I think the one series we were on the 1 and passed 2/3 plays despite our monster running game. Only thing that bailed us out was a dumb penalty on the Vikings. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I think it’s because “some weird thing where for whatever reason Baker has a mental block when OBJ is on the field” is speculative nonsense? 

I suppose it could simply be a lack of chemistry between them. But today it’s pretty obvious who was to blame for the lack of connection. And it wasn’t some innocuous intangible - it was a QB who was consistently unable to hit his target.

I know, I was agreeing with you. 

I was stating that the people who push the theory that Baker struggles with OBJ often blame OBJ, not Baker. 

Hell, I might be the first person on here to actually figure out Baker's career stats with and without OBJ and post them. I don't think it is cut and dry by any means, but it is a fact that Baker's stats are far better without OBJ than with. I do think there are reasons that can at least partially explain this, though. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dutch I fucken love you man (no homo) but we could have Devante or Hopkins out there and they would NOT caught those passes that were 10 yards overthrown. This is all on Baker, he sucked dick today. End of story. Odell in theory is an all-pro WR and he (as in Baker) can't seem to make it happen. Dude had at least one break away TD maybe 2. 

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

Awesome win by the defense today, with no help from Baker or Stef... both had bad games and as long as we win I can excuse them. 

^ That being said, let's not make it a habit.  

Hi Soju so you decided to surface after a year or two. 

Yes Baker sucked big time today, accuracy was in the toilet. Totally unacceptable performance from an NFL QB.  But it's a team game and we won. We can't count on the defense winning games for us.  

And what the hell Stef- going for it on 4th an one I can see. But this is the 4th? Time you've passed on chip shot field goals? Calm down- take the points when they're there. Eventually it's going to bite you in the ass. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing in favor of the injury theory is that Baker played worse as the match progressed. I can see a shoulder injury being OKish in the game opening and wearing out until it throws the mechanics out of the window in the 4th quarter. 

6 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Dutch I fucken love you man (no homo) but we could have Devante or Hopkins out there and they would NOT caught those passes that were 10 yards overthrown. This is all on Baker, he sucked dick today. End of story. Odell in theory is an all-pro WR and he (as in Baker) can't seem to make it happen. Dude had at least one break away TD maybe 2. 

Oh no, man this is getting twisted. 

I think the Vikings game was on Baker, OBJ did nothing (that I know of) wrong. I was referring to the whole "Does Baker do better with or without OBJ" discussion in general. Definitely not saying OBJ was to blame for yesterday.