THE BROWNS BOARD

Keenum to start

MDDawg

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

Someone tell Miller that's not much of a prediction. The 4th string tackle or a DLinemen trying to play tackle. Might as well have said he thinks it will be dark out in Cleveland when the game starts. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/20/browns-baker-mayfield-out-thursday-broncos

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield will not play Thursday night against the Broncos, the team announced Wednesday. 

Case Keenum will start in place of Mayfield. 

Mayfield had said Wednesday that he expected to play despite dealing with a torn labrum in his left shoulder. But the team ruled him out one day later.

Mayfield underwent an MRI earlier this week on his left shoulder after re-injuring it on Sunday against the Cardinals when taking a hit by J.J. Watt. 

It was initially reported that Mayfield suffered a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder in Week 2. But Mayfield said Tuesday that it was a fully torn labrum. 

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

Keenum, 33, is in his second year with the franchise. He has appeared in two games this season, but has thrown just three passes.

Mayfield had not missed a game in his professional career. On the season, he has thrown for 1,474 yards and tossed six touchdowns and three interceptions. 

Cleveland will also be without starting running backs Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb. Both are dealing with calf injuries.

Cleveland enters Thursday Night Football 3-3 and tied for third place in the AFC North.

33 minutes ago, Vambo said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/20/browns-baker-mayfield-out-thursday-broncos

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield will not play Thursday night against the Broncos, the team announced Wednesday. 

Case Keenum will start in place of Mayfield. 

Mayfield had said Wednesday that he expected to play despite dealing with a torn labrum in his left shoulder. But the team ruled him out one day later.

Mayfield underwent an MRI earlier this week on his left shoulder after re-injuring it on Sunday against the Cardinals when taking a hit by J.J. Watt. 

It was initially reported that Mayfield suffered a partially torn labrum in his left shoulder in Week 2. But Mayfield said Tuesday that it was a fully torn labrum. 

In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

Keenum, 33, is in his second year with the franchise. He has appeared in two games this season, but has thrown just three passes.

Mayfield had not missed a game in his professional career. On the season, he has thrown for 1,474 yards and tossed six touchdowns and three interceptions. 

Cleveland will also be without starting running backs Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb. Both are dealing with calf injuries.

Cleveland enters Thursday Night Football 3-3 and tied for third place in the AFC North.

IF they get Chubb back and the OL line together, they could still make a run; the rest of schedule is pretty dang soft (other than having to play Balt. twice). 

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Unfortunately nickers- it looks like Cleveland.com and the Plain Dealer are putting a lot of their best stuff behind a pay wall.  Even Terry Pluto.  :(  

Have to think if I want to spend another $10 bucks a month on yet another newspaper subscription.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

IF they get Chubb back and the OL line together, they could still make a run; the rest of schedule is pretty dang soft (other than having to play Balt. twice). 

what.....your are saying greenbay, cinci twice, the pats in foxboro....and with our d, you are saying the steelers are soft......with our d, we may not win another game...i don't care if we play georgia.....

2 hours ago, MDDawg said:

Hopefully we get the Minnesota NFC championship level Keenum tomorrow

its not only keenum....we have no rb's....our defense sucks....i see denver ball control most of the game.....glad my favorite tv show is on....big sky....me thinks i'll be subjected to watching it rather than this game.....don't look good for baker this yr......what a shit season....only 6 games into the season....

Hopefully they can eek out a win vs Denver, then get healthier in the week and a half they get off before Pittsburgh. 

Because this schedule is no walk-in-the-park. Detroit is about the only dud the Browns play from here out (New England?)

Captain Check Down will need a lot of help. But you KNOW what? Our team can give it to him. It's time for us to make some plays, get a few bounces rolled our way, and get a defensive TD or some shit like that. Let's steal this game any way possible and get back to healing. 

26 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hopefully they can eek out a win vs Denver, then get healthier in the week and a half they get off before Pittsburgh. 

Because this schedule is no walk-in-the-park. Detroit is about the only dud the Browns play from here out (New England?)

Pats are a team on the rise. If we played them on a neutral field in the current health, I'd take them to win. 

3 hours ago, browns52 said:

what.....your are saying greenbay, cinci twice, the pats in foxboro....and with our d, you are saying the steelers are soft......with our d, we may not win another game...i don't care if we play georgia.....

Man, you are one negative asshole.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Unfortunately nickers- it looks like Cleveland.com and the Plain Dealer are putting a lot of their best stuff behind a pay wall.  Even Terry Pluto.  :(  

Have to think if I want to spend another $10 bucks a month on yet another newspaper subscription.  

They piss me off with that shit..

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

well that sucks

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Pats are a team on the rise. If we played them on a neutral field in the current health, I'd take them to win. 

I think it is safe to say this schedule is much tougher than a lot of us thought it would be. Anyone still think the Browns are going 4-0 vs Pittsburgh and Cincinnati? 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

We have a half a bye week but the squeelers have a whole bye week

58 minutes ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

Well JJ Watt never even had so much of a finger on a QB this season UNTIL they played us and he looked like D player of the year. So I am sure Von will destroy us like he always seems to do. But No matter What GO BROWNS. Or until the 2nd when we are down 24-0 before half time. 

well...we had both our tackles out....Hudson is a rookie. Hudson had a terrible time. Baker was hurt.... Landry was out, OBJ left the game, Hance had a tough game.......

good read:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cleveland-browns-blown-out-by-undefeated-arizona-cardinals-37-14-see-how-social-media-reacted-to-sunday-e2-80-99s-game/ar-AAPDuIy

1 hour ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

Well JJ Watt never even had so much of a finger on a QB this season UNTIL they played us and he looked like D player of the year. So I am sure Von will destroy us like he always seems to do. But No matter What GO BROWNS. Or until the 2nd when we are down 24-0 before half time. 

Yes, Von will kill us, but we have to find a way to limit the mauling. It's very rare to completely shut down Hall of Fame players, but the trick isn't to stop them, but to prevent game-changing plays. If he gets a sack, make sure you don't fumble. If you fumble, recover it. And so on. One of the problems facing us is that if we do give up a sack, that's likely the end of the drive. Any sack, holding penalty, or even dropped pass can put us behind the sticks and punting before you know it. 

You can only take SO much from preseason, but if you remember, Case Keenum was definitely Captain Checkdown. I mean he threw NOTHING past 6 yards and I'm hardly exaggerating. I honestly do not know how good of a grasp Case has on the offense, but I do know this:  We will NOT be able to run ball. Not just because Chubb and Hunt are out, and not because our Tackles are out (likely) but because the Broncos have an excellent defense and they're going to put 38 defenders on the line of scrimmage. 

Look, I have faith in our backup RBs, and I believe they have skill for being 3rd, 4th, and 5th stringers, but it's almost impossible to run on a 6 man front. They're literally going to DARE us to throw the ball on them, which is exactly what Arizona did. If you remember, we came out passing the ball almost exclusively. That's precisely what we'll have to do in order to win. If you manage to shred their 6 man front early, they'll adjust, and THAT'S when you run behind Teller. 

The season feels like it's almost over, and I get it. This was supposed to be a magical season, and to be honest, we're a few plays away from it. Our idiot punter drops an effing snap, our defense has multiple blown coverages, and poof! We're 3-3. But guess what? Guess what a win does? It takes us to 4-3 with about 10 days of rest until a showdown at Pittsburgh. It'll be potentially the healthiest we've been in weeks and it comes at the biggest point of our season. Win tomorrow, save the season. I don't care if it's 3-2. FIND A WAY. 

Oh, horse feathers.

Miller, Miller, Miller.

All we have to do, is have Garrett play both ways, put him at offensive tackle whatever side Von Miller lines up on....

and there ya go.

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Captain Check Down will need a lot of help. But you KNOW what? Our team can give it to him. It's time for us to make some plays, get a few bounces rolled our way, and get a defensive TD or some shit like that. Let's steal this game any way possible and get back to healing. 

Denver is going to be missing two of their ILBs, and Miller's backup is out too.  Do they have the bodies to put 6-8 in the box?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Give it another few years it will all be pay content.

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Denver is going to be missing two of their ILBs, and Miller's backup is out too.  Do they have the bodies to put 6-8 in the box?  

That's a fair point. They'll obviously have SOMEONE out there, but I don't know anything about how good they are. I'm curious as to how good their corners are. Also, I could be mistaken, but I remember Keenum throwing a pretty nice jump ball while at Minnesota. I would not mind seeing a few of those tonight. 

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

I used to have a Plain Dealer and Press route when I was a kid.  We had to do our own collections also.  I quit the PD a couple of years ago because half the time I wouldn't receive my paper anyways.  Now, it's kind of useless because all the news is old news by the time you receive the paper.  They are going to quit printed news soon.  They a re trying to sell the Cleveland.com as an online news paper.